PDA

View Full Version : I need Advice!!!!

PGlover
3rd August 2005, 21:30
Hey guys,

I got an '05 sporty 883 Custom. Well, I installed new bars with internal wiring. When I brought it in for its 1500KM (Canadian here.) first service, the dealer came back and told me I broke the brake light switch....I checked the brake lights and they worked after I was done. After argueing with the guys that the switch wasn't located in the master cylinder, he looked up the switch housing diagram and found the switch. A 45 dollar part. I said, well OK, its broken so regardless of who broke it, order it up and replace it. I get the service done and while they have to bike in and working on it, I get them to install a new air filter and rejet the barb. (I installed the pipes myself previous to them completeing stage 1). I get the bike back and they tell me its complete. The damn bike is pregressivly getting worse and worse performance wise. Well they get the brake light switch in and install it, I pick it up and they tell me that the lower housing and the throttle set screw are now :censor. I know I didn't have the throttle problem, because I drove it there and the throttle was loose, but now it doesn't return to closed position. I am SOOO pissed with HD of where I'm from, that after I bring the bike back today because it almost stalls while driving it, I may just trade it in on a Honda. There, I said it.

I apalogize for the stupidly long winded rant, but I am extremely frustrated. Thanks guys for listening.

Oh, I don't think there is any chance I would actually trade it on a Honda.

thatbikerguy
3rd August 2005, 21:56
After that "H" comment all I will say is Welcome to the Forum.

cutter
3rd August 2005, 22:08
Get yourself a manual and do it right (do it yourself). I hate when I pay for someone elses screwups.

Alasportster
3rd August 2005, 22:08
I understand, and I won't say anymore. Oh, except welcome to the XLForum, land of the free and the home of the rant.

GOTWA
3rd August 2005, 22:19
It is very easy to screw up the switch and the throttle lock gizmo when you change things out. Did you put a cardboard spacer in the brake lever when you took everything off? The purpose for it is to not screw up the switch.

And the throttle lock can get ruined when you re-assemble. It may not show up right away though so that might account for not noticing it.

First thing you need to do is open up the switch housing and lube the cables. It may be just that simple.

If you need to adjust your cables, GET A MANUAL! There's more to it than you might suspect. The two tensioning nuts near your grip are for fine tuning. If they have to be completely from scratch re-adjusted, which they may well need with a bar change out, there's more to it than just tweaking a couple nuts. You have to get the A/C off there and what not. Ask me how I know this.

TNsportster
3rd August 2005, 22:23
Find a local indy shop and make friends with 'em.

And welcome to the board! Hell, I think this board is one of the best things about owning a Sporty!!!

GregD
3rd August 2005, 22:29
Hey Friend,
That switch is a fragile piece. I took, what I thought, was the greatest of pains when replacing the levers to protect the switch. Got it all done and voila!! the brake lights worked from the front lever. A week later......it wasn't happening. Took it apart and sure enough the switch was buggered.
Ordered a new one and repeated the process....this time I was more fortunate....(or careful)...no problems in 6 months.

Just one of those things that happen.

The afore mentioned advice on throttle cable adjustment is absolutely true.

Ride Safe.

Greg....

PGlover
3rd August 2005, 22:50
I apalogize for the "H" comment. I was a little upset. I mean, dont' get me wrong. I LOVE my sporty, I just feel like I am getting F#$%ed around by the stealership right now. I will be getting a manual and doing all the work myself from here on in. Now the bike is running like crap and I gotta try to figure out why. I guess the first place I'll look is at the plugs, make sure I didn't leave the choke on and bung those things up. Anyway, I have the throttle repair paid for, just waiting for the parts to arrive. First when I got the sport, they dealership was awesome, but now, everytime they fix one thing, they :censor another. I'm going to pull the filter off and check it also.

thatbikerguy
3rd August 2005, 23:17
No prob. As for the "H" comment, were you looking at an Accord, or the Civic?

Schmidtrock
3rd August 2005, 23:23
No prob. As for the "H" comment, were you looking at an Accord, or the Civic?
:laugh :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :smoke

Albie1200
3rd August 2005, 23:38
I'll echo a common recommendation made on this forum. Get a service manual! I would even get the parts manual as it has a bit better exploded views for all the different assemblies. I did the same thing, removed the brake assembly without inserting the wedge and tore the rubber boot on the switch. It still works, but the moral of the story is that if I had bought the manual before new grips I would not have messed it up in the first place. I even had the throttle cables adjusted improperly. I had never adjusted a 2 cable throttle(came from dirt bikes) and I ended up setting it so it wasn't hitting wide open. These bikes are really easy to work on if you have the manual to follow. As far as your current problems go, buy the manual and read the thread about paying the taxes and rejetting, and go through your bike like your are doing it for the first time. Hopefully you will come across whatever is making it run poor. It can't be that many different things.(knocking on wood)

PGlover
3rd August 2005, 23:56
Accord. :doh

thunderpaw
4th August 2005, 00:42
I broke my brakelight switch, too...by not using the cardboard wedge...and yes, I HTFM! (just was in a hurry and didn't read it-as saith the raven...nevermore!)

Kim

PGlover
4th August 2005, 17:02
I took the bike back again after work yesterday and I guess in thier defence, the owner is working on finding what the problem is and making it right. He really is a good guy.

I don't even mind the busted parts (Like everyone here is saying, its possible I busted them), but I had the SE AC kit and carb rejet completed and since then, the bike is running like absolute crap.

should be letting the bike run for an hour to warm up? Normally its like anywhere between 5-10 minutes for sure. They pulled plugs and all was good. I just don't know. I'll have to wait to hear back from them I guess.

thatbikerguy
4th August 2005, 17:10
After reading all of PGlover's posts, I have some good news...............................I just saved a bunch of money on "car" insurance by switching over to Geico!!!! :roflblack :laugh :doh :clap :clap :clap
I keep the bike with "Progressive" :tour :tour

Schmidtrock
4th August 2005, 17:18
http://www.lecktorhannibal.com/images/gecko.jpg

Bill2
4th August 2005, 18:56
Man i sure wish i would have read this yesterday. I just changed handle bars and grips and guess what did'nt use a manuel (don't have one yet) and i was hurrying because it was getting dark and my brake light is stuck on bright and most likely from what i've read theres a real good chance i f :censor it up too! I'am fixing to go check it out does anyone know for sure if the brake light is stuck on it means its broke?

Schmidtrock
4th August 2005, 18:59
Possibly not broken just jammed ?

Bill2
5th August 2005, 05:05
Luck out i did'nt break it,but i did get a '05 manual and yes it does help!

Moved On
5th August 2005, 05:53
Man i sure wish i would have read this yesterday. I just changed handle bars and grips and guess what did'nt use a manuel (don't have one yet) and i was hurrying because it was getting dark and my brake light is stuck on bright and most likely from what i've read theres a real good chance i f :censor it up too! I'am fixing to go check it out does anyone know for sure if the brake light is stuck on it means its broke?Hey Bill,

It sounds like you already have your answer... One common problem people have is not getting the master cylinder lined up with the groove in the control housing (or vice versa). Then the brake lever isn't close enough to the switch to push it open, and the brake light gets stuck on. Is that what happened to you???

Gazza