PDA

View Full Version : Baseball

Doc45
14th April 2011, 19:56
I for one am very happy that MLB is back. My favorite sport (played as kid through 1st yr. of college-couldn't hit for shit :laugh). Grew up in a house hearing great stories of the old Brooklyn Dodgers, my folks eventually warmed to the LA Ds after my mother's aunt ended up living near Sandy Koufax for a year, lol.

Both my sons played as kids in little league (they never cared for soccer-thankfully-with apologies to you folks across the pond, lol).

Mostly a Mets fan myself as a kid (though still rooted for the Dodgers when they played any team but the Mets). Once Denver got the Rockies they became my team (never really warmed to the Bears/Zephyrs for minor league play). Younger son and I went last week when the Dodgers were here-great weather, great seats, great company-truly a wonderful night. We just walked down to the ballpark bought some great seats 12 rows up from 3rd base.

Sadly I only caught a couple AAA games with my dad (Tucson Toros), very thankful I've been able to go with both my sons to many games over the years. One of my neighbors works for the Rockies and I occassionaly get tix through him. We have a great ballpark here (Coors field), here's where we usually end up sitting (from last year):

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i290/doc4545/mypics165.jpg

Hope the Rockies keep playing well this season, ah-another sign that summer is soon to be here in all it's glory (of course today it's cold & drizzly w/some much needed moisture haha). Watching the Rox vs. Mets right now.

doc
14th April 2011, 20:16
I wish I was a kid again. My dad and I travelled all over the country watchin baseball one summer. Started in Arlington at the home of the might Rangers. Next stop was Kansas City for a Royals game, then on to St. Louis for the Cardinals. Ended up in Chicago for a 3 day Cubs seris at Wrigley. Cruised up and watched a Brewers game. Then headed back to Arlington for another Rangers came before coming home. Great times with a great man.

We even went to Cubs spring training in 85 for a week. Kinda strange watchin your idol (Ron Cey) run bases after almost everyone had left. And then to walk up and find your dad talkin to Rick Sutcliffe. But that damn Ryan Sandberg. Had a hell of a time gettin that guy's autograph. Took better part of the week to do it, but I got it done.

Of course, if the Cubs ever make to the World Series, my and my dad are gonna be going to Wrigley no matter the cost.

Airbozo
14th April 2011, 20:21
Nice view from the seats!

I have not been to Coors field. Mile High was still there last time I went to any baseball games. That was back when the Rockies were an NHL hockey club...

I never really got into baseball. Too boring. I go mainly for the company and when one of my old navy buddies comes to town I go with him to an A's vs Giants game. Have not been to AT&T park yet though. Time to ring him up and schedule a game...

Thanks for the reminder Doc!

BTW: Where in Denver do you live?

Doc45
14th April 2011, 20:34
Airbozo, on the south end of the metro area, called "Centennial" now, used to be unincorporated Arapahoe County, near University Blvd. & Arapahoe Rd.

Yeah, the first season ('93) I took my older son (then 9) to a Rockies/Dodgers game at Mile High. He still has the ball he got during the Dodgers batting practice. Coors Field is really a great place to watch a game (& the girls, haha). Not a bad seat in the house, I've sat in most areas of the park & always enjoyed my view.

Oh, crap-Rox trying not to blow what was a 3 run lead in bottom of the 9th of the first of a double header, unfortunately no tv for the 2nd game.

Doc45
14th April 2011, 20:44
Whew!!!! Bases loaded, 2 out, full count, Rox up 6-5, Lindstrom flies out, hoo boy! It's why I love this game!

Airbozo
14th April 2011, 21:28
Airbozo, on the south end of the metro area, called "Centennial" now, used to be unincorporated Arapahoe County, near University Blvd. & Arapahoe Rd.

Yeah, the first season ('93) I took my older son (then 9) to a Rockies/Dodgers game at Mile High. He still has the ball he got during the Dodgers batting practice. Coors Field is really a great place to watch a game (& the girls, haha). Not a bad seat in the house, I've sat in most areas of the park & always enjoyed my view.

Oh, crap-Rox trying not to blow what was a 3 run lead in bottom of the 9th of the first of a double header, unfortunately no tv for the 2nd game.

Know right where it is. We moved several times, but I mainly grew up in the hwy6 and Indiana area and for a while in Thornton. Most of my family still lives in the same area. That's why I live in California.

One of my old room mates was working for a local company that was contracted to lure MLB to Denver back in the late 80's. He has what was supposed to be the promotional package for the first MLB team in Denver. Same name, but this was from '85 or '86 if I remember right.

I may have to catch a game at Coors Field when I am in town this summer.

Does baseball have something similar to NHL Center Ice Live? Allows you to watch games on the computer that are not on TV...

Doc45
14th April 2011, 22:41
Drop me a pm when you get to town or just before if you want to meet up. I use Sun HD in Thornton when I need something from a dealer or to just drool over other machines (they've always taken very good care of me & treated me very well-bought a Nightster from them 2 years ago, sold that but now with my sore knee & shoulder should've kept & modded it rather than try to change my Roadster-it's too sweet the way it is, haha).

For baseball on the 'net I found this but have never used it:
http://www.zeropaid.com/news/88707/how-to-watch-mlb-games-for-free/

Most of the Rockies' games are on what's called "Root", used to be Fox Sports RockyMtn. I also have the "MLB" channel on DirectTV so when they played the Mets in NY I could catch it there.

Big_Baazzoo
14th April 2011, 23:07
I love Baseball. It's a thinking man's game. I like to go when I can and I like it on the radio. Other sports do not translate well on the radio, and when I am stuck in my car for a bit, nothing like a good baseball game.

Go White Sox!