PDA

View Full Version : Happy ending to a wreck!

redi2ride
26th April 2011, 20:36
Check out the situation this guy was in. He's a lucky guy.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

td67mustang
26th April 2011, 21:09
WOW! that sucks

007_Nightster
26th April 2011, 21:32
Yeah, the drive didn't have a driver license and insurance!!!
The driver got away with a couple tickets and is car impounded. He should've got arrested for this!
He about killed this guy!

outlawreb
26th April 2011, 21:42
the law don't care until someone is killed then they act like they do i see people in vehicles do things that are totally are against the law and not do anything and then again the law will do the same thing so we are no better either way

caain
26th April 2011, 21:59
That's all the driver got?! Just sad..

td67mustang
26th April 2011, 22:00
the problem is that if someone HAD their license they would have probably had a more severe penalty....

TessArooo
27th April 2011, 00:36
Good grief! Thank goodness he was okay! That was awful!!

shotgun46
27th April 2011, 00:41
Wow lucky rider ! stoopid driver

KaotikEvo
27th April 2011, 00:56
am I the only one to notice that the cyclist locked up the rear?!?!? this is 50/50 at best. The motorcyclist WAS NOT paying proper attention to traffic in front of him. I can't get over how quick some of y'all are to place all blame for all motorcycle accidents on the cages.

whatitstrue
27th April 2011, 01:07
am I the only one to notice that the cyclist locked up the rear?!?!? this is 50/50 at best. The motorcyclist WAS NOT paying proper attention to traffic in front of him. I can't get over how quick some of y'all are to place all blame for all motorcycle accidents on the cages.

I did notice that as well. So what if he locked up his wheel The car failed to control his vehicle, regardlees if he locked it up or not. Plus the person in the car shouldnt have been on the road any ways with out a license or insurance. So I would say its 100% the "cagers" fault.

shameless
27th April 2011, 01:09

Well let me put it this way, If the car driver had been following with enough space between he and the bike AND he was paying attention, there would be no accident to speak of. Interstate driving requires more following distance. The cage wasn't more than 4 car lengths back at any time in the video. Even if the bike had not been there the car still hit the car in front of the bike so how could it be the bikers fault? I know in a panic situation it is very easy to lock the rear, that doesn't mean you are riding too fast, not paying attention or that you are following too close. It just means you hit the rear brake too hard initially and with the momentum propelling you forward the rear has less traction and it is more prone to locking up. Maybe the guy is a new rider. Now if it had been the front locked up, I could see it.

snowman
27th April 2011, 01:12

No you're not. I noticed it too but it's because the car in front of him almost rammed the guy ahead of him (tail gating). Two cars and a bike avoided the situation because they were paying attention. The other guy ran OVER the bike, the car went INTO the air for cripes sake!!! This person made NO effort to stop...

Sorry, the biker did well, IMHO...:geek:geek:geek

MisterPX
27th April 2011, 01:18
The driver not only plowed through teh bike, he(she) plowed into teh car in front of the bike as well. No kind of braking on the rider's part would have saved him.

Good on teh Jeep for paying attention on what's going on and stopping quickly.

roachhill
27th April 2011, 01:19
Tailgating is an epidemic nowadays. The person following is always responsable for stopping before hitting the vehicle in front. It doesn't matter how quickly the front vehicle stops. He stopped short is never an excuse.

toe
27th April 2011, 01:22
And he wouldn't have been hit if he was splitting lanes...............

shameless
27th April 2011, 02:50
I'm not sure lane splitting is legal in Texas. I know it's not in N. Carolina.

maddenj
27th April 2011, 03:05
Pretty sure its not, but makes me glad that I can in SoCal...

redi2ride
27th April 2011, 05:40

Ha! that's what I was hinting too. he was fallowing to close. The car was 100% at fault though. he still didn't stop even after impact with the bike. the other car in front of the bike became his brakes!!!!!:frownthre

bahamutangel
27th April 2011, 06:12
Did anyone realize that NO ONE got out to help? Seriously? I would have been out of my car in seconds if there were a body lying in the road!

Also, accidents and collisions happen, and I wonder if this guy really doesn't want to ride again, or if his "supportive" fiancee gave him an ultimatum. I just think that the "He's not getting another bike" line was uncalled for.

outlawreb
27th April 2011, 13:39
i didn't notice it at first but seen it the video clip on msn

KaotikEvo
27th April 2011, 16:54
To clarify, There is no doubt that the cager is an asshat, but if i rode my sportser like that and saw it on video, I'd quit riding too. The video as posted showed the cars in front of the biker already on the brakes well before he locked up the rear. Locking the rear is significant in itself if proper braking technique is used. If that had happened to me with my GF on the back, She wouldn't be my GF afterwards. Motorcycles are hard enough to see on the road without surprising the guy behind you, and we all know that our bikes stop MUCH faster than a cager. You can criticize all you want, but the biker is still partially responsible.

snowman
27th April 2011, 17:04
After watching the vid again, even if this dude slowed down without locking the rears, he would have got clobbered by the moron in the car behind him because they were not watching the road...:geek:geek:geek

Just glad the guy is alive to tell his story...

KaotikEvo
27th April 2011, 17:20
i've looked at it a few more times too, and there is no doubt that the cage that hit him didn't slow down at all. But i als noticed the cyclists closig speed toward traffic in front, and with the exception of the black tailgater, traffic was in a pretty well controlled braking condition. I have to admit that even if the biker had done "better" in this situation, it probably wouldn't have changed anything. The offending cager was on autopilot and if it didn't hit the biker first , it would have plowed into the next in line. This video does illustrate the fact that safety and awareness are paramount, especially when on the slabs. I still stick with my thoughts that the biker made some serious mistakes. It is amazing that he walked away as well as he did, and this should be seen by all as a wake up call for riding in heavy traffic.

KaotikEvo
27th April 2011, 17:25
after looking yet again, i'm not even sure that the cycle was going to avoid the rear of the black car in front, even if he didn't get rammed from behind. It was WAAAAY too close for me.

007_Nightster
27th April 2011, 17:26
Agreed, it doesn't matter if the biker did everything perfect he still would've been crushed!

When I'm riding on the interstate and hard braking is needed, I always pull over on the painted line. It gives me a better chance on not getting rear-ended.

KaotikEvo
27th April 2011, 17:30
now, i cant stop watching!!! but the biker was braking so hard he locked up with smoke, got the rear off the ground, touched down, and was still locked up with another smoke signal less than a car length behind.

whatitstrue
27th April 2011, 18:25
Nearly all wrecks have more than 1 single factor that contribute to what happens. The cycle locking it up, the car behind not paying attention and whatever else is happening ahead that we cant see, ect... Im not disputing that multiple factors were involved, as they almost always are. But the car behind failed to control his vehicle and not only plowed through the cyclist but also rammed the car in front of him. Unfortunatly we will never know if the bike would have avoided the car in front because the car behind never gave him a chance.

SpartanDen
27th April 2011, 18:34
Not to hi-jack or change this thread, but anyone ever hear what happened to the bimbo that rear ended the lady out west? The one who was painting her fingernails??? Her son formed the Black Nail Brigade??

chardhin
27th April 2011, 18:37
I believe she got off with time served.

Robotech
27th April 2011, 18:40
we all know that our bikes stop MUCH faster than a cager.

You might be suprised to find out that no, they don't. Bikes actually take LONGER to brake than a car. Yes, the car weighs more but it has over twice the amount of braking power and a hell of a lot more rubber on the road to slow it down. I looked up braking distances once when someone first mentioned this and sure enough, a full sized SUV could stop in a shorter distance by about 30 feet than a Road King.

Stairman
27th April 2011, 18:50
The cager was probably texting, reading, or applying makeup.:frownthre

KaotikEvo
28th April 2011, 04:58
You might be suprised to find out that no, they don't. Bikes actually take LONGER to brake than a car. Yes, the car weighs more but it has over twice the amount of braking power and a hell of a lot more rubber on the road to slow it down. I looked up braking distances once when someone first mentioned this and sure enough, a full sized SUV could stop in a shorter distance by about 30 feet than a Road King.

interesting,...i'm gonna have to look that up.

toe
28th April 2011, 05:24
I can believe a Road Couch taking longer to brake, but a sport bike should be less (even on one wheel) because the rubber is stickier

towerhandjake
28th April 2011, 11:45

+1 absolutely true. Brakes are good, but awareness and agility should not be forgotten.