PDA

View Full Version : J&P Cycles is Horrible!

B06Tang
6th May 2011, 01:04
I need to ask for advise/help on this one. I made an order through J&P Cycles almost two months ago. They continually screwed this order up and I waited and waited. I contacted them on two occasions to inqure about my order and they had to trace the order to discover the problem and correct it. Keep in mind, the only thing I ordered was a pair of Rush slip-ons for my Sporty and exhaust gaskets...that's it. I finally get the box in the mail opened it up...BAM...an oil tank for a Softail Harley! No Rush slip-ons to be found.

I contacted J&P and told them I want my money back. I was told that I would have to mail everything back to them along with it being insured before they would refund what they charged to me. I explained to them that I am active duty military stationed overseas and that I could have a real problem with mailing an item out of here that has the word "oil" described on the customs form because of the APO system. They did not care. Their custom service to me is simple...give us our product back and you will have your refund. If you can't get in the mail to us then you are out of your money...not our problem. I would like to know what are my options to make things as painful as possible for J&P. This whole thing sounds foul and I am not going to sit idly by on this one. I'm thinking about asking the post office the penalties on a customs violation as they sent me an oil tank but on the form filled it out as Rush exhause pipes being in th box. Every receipt, piece of paperwork and conversation has been saved with these fools. Any advise on avenues I can use on this company would be greatly appreciated...thank you.

Folkie
6th May 2011, 01:22
Can't you just put on the form 'motorcycle part'?

Robotech
6th May 2011, 01:26
^ best idea...not being specific enough to cause a red flag but you're not lieing either.

chardhin
6th May 2011, 01:29
Dont go through the apo. If your in japan send it via ups and do what folkie says write motor cycle part on the form. But inform them its comming from over seas so they wont dick you around with some 30 day return policy.

B06Tang
6th May 2011, 01:31
We do not have UPS service on this base...US Mail only as it is an APO system

chardhin
6th May 2011, 01:56
Question: can you take it of base to be shipped?

khaskins
6th May 2011, 02:01
If I lived in Japan and had access to all of those cool Sportster builders, I'd buy my parts local. I'm just sayin'.

Take it off base to Fed Ex or UPS they have offices world wide.

B06Tang
6th May 2011, 02:02
I could but it would be insanely expensive to mail through the Japanese system. At this point, I do not trust J&P whatsoever and will be happy to get my money back at all. I am highly doubtful they would be willing to refund me on an international shipping charge.

chardhin
6th May 2011, 02:05
Probably correct. I would take it to who is in charge of apo and ask them what to mark stating your situation and concerns.

Crosshairs
6th May 2011, 02:17
I would do a credit card charge back and let them send a pre paid label if they want their parts back....Im only willing to go so far to work with a company..once I feel I'm being screwed, all bets are off...and you my friend, are being screwed

geraldxlch
6th May 2011, 02:25
You should be reimbursed for the return shipping as the error was theirs.
I had the same issue with another company, they refused to ship my order until I returned the wrong part that they sent me. This seems to put an undue burden on the customer by lengthening the time from order to delivery, not to mention a trip to the shippers to send back the wrong part. I was reimbursed for the return shipping charges but not without a letter to the VP of sales.
My 2cents.

Brad
6th May 2011, 02:25
J&P messed up, but you can't expect them to refund without getting it back. I've always had good service from them and even got them to pay for return shipping once when they did screw up an order. I'm with the others, call it 'motorcycle parts' or 'container'. Are you sure you would have a problem with 'oil tank' on the customs form?

Good luck! Hope it works out for you.

shotgun46
6th May 2011, 02:32
I would think that they sent you the wrong part it would be their loss ! I would tell them you have not received your order and have your card cancel your payment to them ! and keep the tank as a Gift after all you did not order it ! and let them take it from there !

B06Tang
6th May 2011, 02:35
I have been serving overseas for 16 years...yes, I am sure if I put anything petroleum/oil on a customs form especially now that we are in force protection Bravo because of recent events. I do not like the idea of the shady position I am forced into because of the mistake J&P has made.

asasial
6th May 2011, 02:41
how about marking it just "motorcycle tank"?

aemsee
6th May 2011, 02:45
i would file a claim with the credit card company and have them do a charge back. you never received the parts you paid for. then I would box up something random (not the oil tank) and send it off to J&P. see how they like it.:D

1200cblue
6th May 2011, 02:46
Any time I have ever ordered anything from them they send a prepaid return postage paid sticker with the shipping reciept. You got screwed.

B06Tang
6th May 2011, 02:47
I have a friend working post office right now but it is his day off...I am going to ask him before I even show up with any kind of box. I guess I am stuck...if I don't somehow get it in the mail, then I am screwed out of my $300. Needless to say, J&P won't ever get my business. I can't believe it had to come to this and the position they have taken with me. Oh well...they're rich and can retire now...they squeezed $300 out of me. Awesome customer service! I have explained my exact situation to them by the way and they could give a crap...follow their guidance and they do not care if there are any special circumstances...not their problem.

boxcardenny
6th May 2011, 02:54
after reading dis i wont buy from them.dats it

mike1200
6th May 2011, 03:00
I hate J&P. I bought the Kuryakyn Hi-five zombie Air Cleaner from them. It turns out it made for a twin cam not a sporty. It took 3 different tries as well to get the right dyno jet kit. I'm done with them forever.

Durockrolly
6th May 2011, 03:13
Your time spent writing should be to the credit card company and not this forum!

khaskins
6th May 2011, 03:29
They must be going down hill. I've spent hundreds of $ on parts from J&P and any problems were fixed with one phone call.

I hope you come out ok, but if it were my company, you would not get your money back until I had my product back.

I would in good faith reship the correct item with an explanation that I would charge you again if I did not receive the parts back. After all was done and everyone was happy I'd refund your shipping.

You are never going to get a company to put themselves upside down on any deal. J&P will make it right if you meet them part way. IMO

B06Tang
6th May 2011, 03:45
Your time spent writing should be to the credit card company and not this forum!

Nice assumption...it already has been

B06Tang
6th May 2011, 03:50
You are never going to get a company to put themselves upside down on any deal. J&P will make it right if you meet them part way. IMO

I am trying to meet them part way but shipping an oil tank through the APO system is a no-go. Maybe I'll just try the Japanese ebay system and see what a softail oil tank can go for...that seems to be my best option at this point...at least it's a chrome one at that

twotoneXLH883C
6th May 2011, 05:37
I've never had a problem with JP Cycles on anything I've ordered, felt I got what I wanted in a timely manner.

B06Tang
6th May 2011, 06:09
I'm glad you got what you ordered from them...outstanding. Hopefully you are not the only that received that kind of service. I ask for avenues/suggestions to take trying to take advantage of others that might be in a similar situation; not a survey if anyone has received good service from them. They are in business for supposedly 30 years...I would hope they would one or two orders right.

Durockrolly
6th May 2011, 06:31
I'm glad you got what you ordered from them...outstanding. Hopefully you are not the only that received that kind of service. I ask for avenues/suggestions to take trying to take advantage of others that might be in a similar situation; not a survey if anyone has received good service from them. They are in business for supposedly 30 years...I would hope they would one or two orders right.

It seems to me you getting pissy at people for voicing their opinions on an open forum. Perhaps you will enlighten me/us as to what YOU would like done in this situation. International transactions can be difficult at best. Like Karl said, would not refund anything until I got my part(s) back. I then would make it right. If it were me I would weigh the options of shipping it back or keeping it and trying to sell it. While it IS their fault for sending the wrong part, it's not their fault you have difficulties sending it back. I too have done business with them dozens of times and a few times have encounteredd problems. Every time this happened they have made it right.

J.P.
6th May 2011, 07:02
I hate J&P. I bought the Kuryakyn Hi-five zombie Air Cleaner from them. It turns out it made for a twin cam not a sporty. It took 3 different tries as well to get the right dyno jet kit. I'm done with them forever.
I'm sorry, but you lost me at "I bought the Kuryakyn" lol. I think it was the Sporty Gods telling you to re-think your purchase.

speedking72
6th May 2011, 15:29
Hey guys. My name is Bud and I'm a Harley tech here at J&P Cycles. I just sent a PM to B06Tang to see if I can speak to him regarding his experience. This is not how we're accustomed to doing business and would like to see if we can resolve this.

In the meantime, I’d like to apologize for any issues you may have experienced with your orders through our company. Admittedly, we were faced with a pretty significant overhaul of our order delivery technology at the beginning of this year. While we have never been perfect, we have experienced more order issues than we’re accustomed to, and the vast majority of preliminary issues have been solved.

Our business has been built around serving the biker community for 31 years face to face, over the phone, and through electronic communications. Our foundation is customer service. I realize that it only takes one bad experience with a company to form, or even reform your opinion, so me just saying that is certainly not good enough. We continue to work hard to improve ourselves and our company every day. Our job is to earn respect and loyalty. We won’t stop.

If any of you have orders or other issues that you’d like to have me address, please shoot me a private message and I’ll follow up to the best of my ability in an effort satisfy your expectations. Again, I apologize if any of you experienced down time due to challenges on our end.

dewiz1
6th May 2011, 15:44
Umm I don't suppose if you lable it "New oil Tank, clean!" they will have no problems accepting it.

WinterWheel
6th May 2011, 16:08
Umm I don't suppose if you lable it "New oil Tank, clean!" they will have no problems accepting it.

I'd add the word "empty" to that (for good measure).

NRHS Sales
6th May 2011, 16:11
All you have to do is put motorcycle parts on the customs form and you will have no problems. I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill here. You cannot expect J&P to just give you the parts unless you return the wrong one. They should pay for the return shipping however.

J.P.
6th May 2011, 16:42
All you have to do is put motorcycle parts on the customs form and you will have no problems. I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill here. You cannot expect J&P to just give you the parts unless you return the wrong one. They should pay for the return shipping however.
+1... you took the words right out of my mouth Dan

fatty883
6th May 2011, 16:46
Hey guys. My name is Bud and I'm a Harley tech here at J&P Cycles. I just sent a PM to B06Tang to see if I can speak to him regarding his experience. This is not how we're accustomed to doing business and would like to see if we can resolve this.

In the meantime, I’d like to apologize for any issues you may have experienced with your orders through our company. Admittedly, we were faced with a pretty significant overhaul of our order delivery technology at the beginning of this year. While we have never been perfect, we have experienced more order issues than we’re accustomed to, and the vast majority of preliminary issues have been solved.

Our business has been built around serving the biker community for 31 years face to face, over the phone, and through electronic communications. Our foundation is customer service. I realize that it only takes one bad experience with a company to form, or even reform your opinion, so me just saying that is certainly not good enough. We continue to work hard to improve ourselves and our company every day. Our job is to earn respect and loyalty. We won’t stop.

If any of you have orders or other issues that you’d like to have me address, please shoot me a private message and I’ll follow up to the best of my ability in an effort satisfy your expectations. Again, I apologize if any of you experienced down time due to challenges on our end.

Well there you go...J&P has always been good to me, and many others here.

konel1
6th May 2011, 16:50
Sounds like they are trying to step up to the plate and do the right thing to reslove this issue.I've bought from them dozens of times with no problems at all.

woodywoodwick
6th May 2011, 17:03
I am trying to meet them part way but shipping an oil tank through the APO system is a no-go. Maybe I'll just try the Japanese ebay system and see what a softail oil tank can go for...that seems to be my best option at this point...at least it's a chrome one at that
This may have been addressed already, I haven't read the entire thread.
The oil tank made it to you, why can't you ship it to them just as they shipped it to you?

adduncan101
6th May 2011, 17:03
I too have had similar problems with JP this year. I don't know what has happened over there but the ease of ordering has gone to sh*t. I am done with it. I did try and offer some thoughts the last time I talked to a rep up there (I deal with I.T. stuff and work flow issues occasionally) but I guess the change will have to come from them and at the cost of a few more customers. Kinda sucks. At the end of the day it is cheaper to order from almost any other online shop.

speedking72
6th May 2011, 17:19
This may have been addressed already, I haven't read the entire thread.
The oil tank made it to you, why can't you ship it to them just as they shipped it to you?

There is a prepaid USPS Merchandise Return label at the bottom of B06Tang's invoice. All he has to do is properly repack the tank, reseal the box, slap the label on, and bring it to the APO. I haven't heard back from him yet but I'll get him hooked up if he replies.

Flame__
6th May 2011, 17:44
Bud, you joined the forum just to address this problem?

chardhin
6th May 2011, 17:49
There is a prepaid USPS Merchandise Return label at the bottom of B06Tang's invoice. All he has to do is properly repack the tank, reseal the box, slap the label on, and bring it to the APO. I haven't heard back from him yet but I'll get him hooked up if he replies.

Sounds like theres the solution. At another angle this isnt the first time an order has been confused in a shipping recieving department. The bigest hassle is the APO and thats not J&P's problem. Looks like the op needs to talk to the APO and not J&P in this issue. Just my opinion.

professir
6th May 2011, 17:54
I dont know anything about oil tanks and customs, but I CAN attest to the honor and customer service of JP. Several interactions on my part, and each and every one has been stellar! I WILL continue to go to them first.

speedking72
6th May 2011, 17:58
Bud, you joined the forum just to address this problem?

Yes. Although, I have been a longtime lurker.

Flame__
6th May 2011, 18:14
Be cooler if you ride a Sportster too....

speedking72
6th May 2011, 18:17
Be cooler if you ride a Sportster too....

Big fan of the quad cams. However, until I get back down to my fighting weight, I'll stick with my FXR and my Road King.

Anaxios
6th May 2011, 18:20

Welcome to the Forum, no matter how you arrived, and take some rep (that's a good thing here) for trying to resolve this flap. Thanks to J&P for the sponsorship. Nice catalog, BTW.

speedking72
6th May 2011, 18:22
Welcome to the Forum, no matter how you arrived, and take some rep (that's a good thing here) for trying to resolve this flap. Thanks to J&P for the sponsorship. Nice catalog, BTW.

Thank you very much, Anaxios!

B06Tang
7th May 2011, 02:00

I wanted to throw this in here out of fairness because speedking did send me a private message to work with me on this and that says a lot to me. I have gone in detail with the problem of this order as what I listed is just a small portion of it. For what it's worth, I give him a lot of credit of reaching out like this.

So that everyone is on the same page as I opened the book...the APO system can get tricky especially when there is an escalation in security which there was because of recent events that is all over the news right now. The oil tank got here because a mistake was made and was put in a box that the customs form read "Rush slip-on exhaust pipes." It was an honest mistake but now I have an oil tank in my hand...I've tried sending it back under "motorcycle parts" but wasn't good enough. I have been serving overseas for 16 years now...I know a little bit about living through the mail service. For some that don't know the APO system...then it could appear I am making a moment out of a mole hill but that simply is not the case.

Thanks again speedking for reaching out to me like this and I would like to get this settled as much as you do. Believe it or not...I try to support American owned businesses as much as possible as that was part of the reason that I opened up an account with J&P.

chardhin
7th May 2011, 02:14
could you put on the form motorcycle engine lubrication container? that is exactly what its with out using oil tank.

AB,Frank
7th May 2011, 02:34
That's good of Bud...can't ya get it cleared from the firehall or the MP's or something like that...Chardhin has a good one also....

I must say,I've never purchased anything from them ,so....I find J&P wanting a little more scratch for stuff.