PDA

View Full Version : Rubbermount_EFI wife can't ride for a while

J.P.
9th May 2011, 20:19
My wife is far enough along in her pregnancy now that she can no longer ride. What steps should I take to "put her bike to bed" for a few months?

khaskins
9th May 2011, 20:22
You should ride it every week to keep it ready.

Rico 05R
9th May 2011, 20:25

:iagree

Flame__
9th May 2011, 20:26
You should let me ride it till after the baby is old enough to ride on the back.

J.P.
9th May 2011, 20:28
although that's a great idea, I don't have enough time to ride my own bike every week let alone hers.

halfdrive
9th May 2011, 20:29

And get a sidecar for the baby seat so your wife can ride it home from the hospital

Bone
9th May 2011, 20:40
although that's a great idea, I don't have enough time to ride my own bike every week let alone hers.

Ride each one every other week, that will still be enough.

In a couple of months when Jenn starts riding less and less I'm gonna have to step up and ride all 4 of ours.

The other alternative is to prep it for long term storage - change oil, fog cylinders, drain fuel tank (and fog inside of tank to prevent rust), remove battery and put on tender, possibly block bike up off wheels.

I think it would be a LOT easier to find time to ride each one....

wedge
9th May 2011, 20:51

Well, then you will need to store yours too. :D

Seriously, for a "few months"? Not sure how long that will be, but I would turn the petcock off, drain the carb, fill the tank so that it is topped off and will prevent rust from forming, throw a tarp over it and once every few weeks I would hit the start button to turn it over a bit so that the bearings don't sit in the same place for too long.

But, personally, I would find time to ride it to temp once a month like Karl suggested.

wedge
9th May 2011, 20:53
Ride each one every other week, that will still be enough.

In a couple of months when Jenn starts riding less and less I'm gonna have to step up and ride all 4 of ours.

The other alternative is to prep it for long term storage - change oil, fog cylinders, drain fuel tank (and fog inside of tank to prevent rust), remove battery and put on tender, possibly block bike up off wheels.

I think it would be a LOT easier to find time to ride each one....
Hmm, I didn't read your post before posting... What is this "fogging" thing you speak of?

Bone
9th May 2011, 21:03
Hmm, I didn't read your post before posting... What is this "fogging" thing you speak of?

4-stroke moor fogging spray is an aerosol delivered oil mist designed to be distribute oil over the metallic surfaces inside a motor prior to seasonal or long term storage.

To use a 4-stroke engine storage spray, either remove the air cleaner and spray it directly into the carb/throttle body with the motor running until it chokes the motor causing it to stall and/or remove the spark plugs and spray the fogging oil directly into bores, then slowly turn the crankshaft by hand (or by putting the bike in gear and spinning the rear wheel) to move the pistons up and down a few times evenly distributing the spray).

I tend to use BOTH methods, the former because it coats the intake tract too and the later because some of the oil in the chamber may get washed away or combusted before the motor stops turning.

J.P.
9th May 2011, 21:44
how long do I need to ride it each week or every other week? The less I have to the better... forward controls, blech! lol

River Runner
9th May 2011, 21:51
I would think just long enough to get it warmed up, then a bit more to stretch its legs. 20 minutes should do it, but can you really just stop after that? Really every couple weeks like others said should be fine, even if you go a month or more without a ride, I wouldn't sweat it it 2 much.

MacAttack
9th May 2011, 22:10
I'm afraid you're just going to have to alternate riding bikes - they really need to go riding once a week.
That way, no wondering, the bike's ready at all times :)

Bone
10th May 2011, 01:53
How long depends on the ambient temps - but yeah fully warmed is the goal - AT LEAST 20 minutes, 40-60 is better but probably not necessary most of the time.

Flame__
27th October 2011, 16:11
How's life treating you and the missus? How much longer till she quirts that baby out?

J.P.
8th November 2011, 02:50
How's life treating you and the missus? How much longer till she quirts that baby out?
Hey Bud, our son Tiernan was born 10/19/2011... I'm about to start a thread with pics...(they're bike related, ha ha).

racerwill
8th November 2011, 03:17
Hey Bud, our son Tiernan was born 10/19/2011... I'm about to start a thread with pics...(they're bike related, ha ha).

congratulations J.P. .....

Ww