PDA

View Full Version : Rubbermount_EVO Swing arm mounted fender

loop7
25th May 2011, 18:38
I have seen some really nice swing arm mounted fenders on this forum, and I am thinking of doing the same to my bike but I was wondering what the ride quality was like? Does it change it at all? I remember reading about vibration issues somewhere on the forum, but can't find it or else I would have asked on the other thread. Also, is there any other problems that I might run into if I go this route? I do plan on using the shocks (cant do struts for the sake of my ass).

007_Nightster
25th May 2011, 20:03
Man, i did it! Love it but once you start customizing it, it opens up for problems you'll have to work thru. Like some of my problems: The tab I wielded on the swing arm to hold the front part of the fender kept break, it wasn't thick enough and I should put two tabs instead of one. Fixed, just wielded on a bigger thicker tab! Then the fender strut that holds the fender to the swing arm, broke at the wield point had to re-wield it...No problems since. And just last week I change out a zinc bolt for a stainless steel bolt cause the tap was eating thru the bolt. Hopefully that holds.

But I love the look of it, I cut the struts off and went to town...no looking back.
It doesn't mess with the ride quality or nothing like that but, I can't take a lady friend no more.

Here's a link for some pics.
http://www.barnettharley.com/component/k2/item/3231-sacred-bond-bryan-carr’s-’07-nightster

loop7
25th May 2011, 20:41
Man, i did it! Love it but once you start customizing it, it opens up for problems you'll have to work thru.
So what was the lesson? Stronger welds? This was due to the vibration? Bike looks great by the way.

007_Nightster
25th May 2011, 21:17
Just look at the tab on your swing arm holding your belt guard, that will give you a good idea on how rigid it needs to be. Mine's not that thick but you get the idea.

Yeah vibration plays a big role in all of it!
You know when you get a stock bike from MOCO it's tested and tested over and over again. We don't have that luxury of testing stuff over and over again and see if it's going to work or not. We call that riding!

Now get to chopping!
Let me know how it turns out.

loop7
26th May 2011, 19:32
So how close is too close to mount the fender to the tire? Is there any expansion issues with the tire causing it to rub on the fender?

007_Nightster
26th May 2011, 22:07
Mine's a finger width off the tire. I zipped tied some small rubber tubing around wheel and tire for the fender to rest on and that's how I came up with the width.

What size of tire are you going with.
I know Metzler's tires don't expand. If you ever notice most of the choppers with hugging fenders are running Metzler's.

loop7
27th May 2011, 18:27
I was just going to run my stock for now...

GophersAndCheese
27th May 2011, 18:39
Here's a link for some pics.
http://www.barnettharley.com/component/k2/item/3231-sacred-bond-bryan-carr’s-’07-nightster

The looks really nice.

007_Nightster
1st June 2011, 16:04
The looks really nice.

Thanks, Gopher!
Alot a work went into it!