PDA

View Full Version : Ignition and key

Wicked_One
4th June 2011, 07:17
Has anyone ever had their key get stuck in the ignition? If so what did u do to get it out? Mine is somehow stuck in the ignition and won't release. It's like it's catching on something. If ya got any suggestions please let me know. Can't really ride anywhere without being able to take key out.

llsmketr
4th June 2011, 07:52
You may be able to spin the face nut off and remove the housing. This should give you access to the lock assembly. From there, you are on your own. Good luck!!

mycle1000
4th June 2011, 08:18
grab it with a vise-grip and pull it out.

jharback
4th June 2011, 08:37
grab it with a vise-grip and pull it out.

After having sprayed the piss out of it with WD40. Wiggle and work it back and forth with a set of vice grips or pliers.

BWP 5p
4th June 2011, 15:27
After having sprayed the piss out of it with WD40. Wiggle and work it back and forth with a set of vice grips or pliers.

:iagree:iagree:iagree

shotgun46
4th June 2011, 15:47
Well for what it's worth I never pulled the Key on my Bike I guess no one wanted A Girls bike ! :doh :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh :p

vagabond65
7th June 2011, 18:04
I skip the WD-40 & use a graphite lube instead. It's not a liquid so it doesn't attract dirt or debris & lasts longer in my experience than WD-40.

vlmuke
8th June 2011, 06:24
I agree with Vegabond Graphite much better for locks

wilbur
8th June 2011, 15:29
I skip the WD-40 & use a graphite lube instead. It's not a liquid so it doesn't attract dirt or debris & lasts longer in my experience than WD-40.

I agree with Vegabond Graphite much better for locks

...except when you live in 95-100% humidity. Then there is a better alternative.

blawrence
8th June 2011, 16:42

but the key is already stuck in the ignition according to the OP. graphite works great if you can remove the key. WD-40 will wick into the corroded parts and allow him to pull the key out.

I wouldn't jump straight to vise grips after spraying it down, because you may break the key off,, which is worse. Try just wriggling it out without tools after spraying it down. It could just be one of the tumblers is corroded.

tmack-1
8th June 2011, 21:05
Question, did the key get bent at all?

Sometimes if it get knocked and bent, it can be hard to pull out.