PDA

View Full Version : Ironhead went to the stealers today

Stick_Man
8th June 2011, 01:53
what a strange place!

I've been there before several times but now I never realized how strange it was.

There's always some ridiculous lines being thrown around to get someone to buy a new Harley.

I've even brough my thing in there for service twice! I 've been back for parts. they "get old stuff all the time" and from the parts I've gotten there I'd say they are telling the truth.

Anyway i went there for points. I have the OEM and they are about 10x better build than drag specialites crap which i bent trying to get the thing to fit!

Although was this really a find. they are 70's points and the manufacturing date on them was 2004!

I guess I have to give credit where it's due to said dealer and the moco, but I feel like I'm going to Neiman Marcus or something

Boom-Boom
8th June 2011, 01:57
what a strange place!

I've been there before several times but now I never realized how strange it was.

There's always some ridiculous lines being thrown around to get someone to buy a new Harley.

I've even brough my thing in there for service twice! I 've been back for parts. they "get old stuff all the time" and from there parts I've gotten there I'd say they are telling the truth.

Anyway i went there for points. I have the OEM and they are about 10x better build than drag specialites crap which i bent trying to get the thing to fit!

Although was this really a find. they are 70's points and the manufacturing date on them was 2004!

I guess I have to give credit where it's due to said dealer and the moco, but I feel like I'm going to Neiman Marcus or something

That's pretty good to find a decent dealership. The ones down here wouldn't know an IH if you ran it through the showroom window. Have you ever tried Blue Streak points? They're pretty durn good.

Crosshairs
8th June 2011, 01:58

Outrageous I say.. A dealer trying to sell bikes.....how dare they...:D

Stick_Man
8th June 2011, 02:28
Outrageous I say.. A dealer trying to sell bikes.....how dare they...:D

Yeah but I think he was trying to tell the buyer that buying a Harley is like buying a puppy!!! The price doesn't matter whether it's 40 thousand dollars or 10 thousand dollars. LOL!

been lucky with the dealers around here. I think I might have one indy that I didn't get beat on at least 100 - 700 dollars, and i've been to 4 of them!

i figure since they had it i'd go there not deal w/ j and p phonebook/parts that might not fit and downtime wait9ng for ship.

OlGrampy
8th June 2011, 03:11
I have been to a local HD dealer a few times in the past 3 months, hoping they MIGHT have a part, but, no luck. One day I waited an hour for them to check with their mechanic and look in their specialty tool box to tell me they could not install a kicker clutch gear. An ex-mechanic told me they buy parts from V-Twin for old stock, because so many parts are obsolete. Used to be parts would work for multiple years, now they change frequently. My local indy treats me fairly. When I go to a dealership, I expect to walk in grabbing my ankles. I overheard on a phone conversation they wanted $100 to put on a new tire, not including parts,or balancing...Ridiculous..$100 to take off and put on a wheel? Call me, I will do that all day.....

MDT
8th June 2011, 03:13
Lucky you! The dealers around here won't support anything older than a 1995.

bruley
8th June 2011, 03:15
The newer bikes just don't have the soul.........Try using 76 camaro six banger points from advance, lots cheaper

Stick_Man
8th June 2011, 03:48
not complaining but I can't beleive HD is making 70s stuff still. good on them

I'm convinced aftermarket except Accel just sucks. Even that's only good for when you can't find HD stuff but it should not be more money. every mechanic that works on my car just hates aftermarket and now I know why. I just want the thing to fit and last a long time. $15 dollars to save that hassle. priceless!

same with midwest or whatever, yeah 9 dollar pegs woohoo! but too bad when they come they look cheap as shit too

although i do buy stuff from the auto store when i can; oil; breakers; relays

Gone
8th June 2011, 04:02
I have to say, my local stealer was terrible. Then my local indie retired. Shit. So I take a chance and went to the stealer, and...surprise. They had the primary gasket in stock for my 74, unheard of 2 years ago. The new guys like the old stuff, and are gonna try to keep some stuff in stock for them. Bravo I say.

MN Mailman
8th June 2011, 04:24
Yeah, as I've said before, my local HD sucks, especially the salesmen. But the parts guys are great, and I've yet to not be able to get a part from them, off the shelf.

The dealerships are brutal; like the saying goes, "Harley-Davidson; a clothing store that happens to sell motorcycles."

RRB
8th June 2011, 04:38
what a strange place!
I guess I have to give credit where it's due....
I'm in the same boat, and I've griped about them in the past.

I needed to change out a cam chest gasket three weeks ago. About mid-afternoon on Saturday I finally had time to get to it. I pulled the pushrods, the circuit breaker, the cam cover, and cleaned the surfaces. I go to put the aftermarket gasket I had on and it's so brittle it breaks in two places before I can even mount it. I call the dealership to see if they are still open and if they have the gasket. If they don't, I'll have to order a new gasket and wait over a week before I can ride again. This is for a 1966 XLH.

"Yes, we have one in stock, it is $2.50. Do you want me to pull it from the back for you and hold it at the counter?"

They are located way the hell on the outskirts of a small burb, west of the city. I haul ass over there and buy the gasket, drive home and put it on, and have had the pleasure of riding that Sunday and both weekends since. The gasket was OEM. I bought some pushrod tower gaskets from them, too, as I have had to force the aftermarket gaskets I have into the collars where the towers telescope.

If I knew the same two guys would be working the parts counter next Saturday I would bring them a six pack.

rivethog
8th June 2011, 06:14
I overheard on a phone conversation they wanted $100 to put on a new tire, not including parts,or balancing...Ridiculous..$100 to take off and put on a wheel? Call me, I will do that all day.....
Dealership labor rates (and more & more indies) these days, whether car or motorcycle, average around $95-$100/hr. for labor. Yeah, that's outrageous to us "old farts" that remember $15/hr labor rates.

Ever replaced a rear tire on a late model bagger with belt drive? It'll take at least 1 hr.. If it's owned by an anal-retentive yuppie and you put a miniscule scratch on that $1000+ polished billet rim, or the $400+ polished billet pulley, you're buying them a new one. You leave a "greasy" fingerprint on that $5000 custom paint job (or even a stock paint job) and you're going to be paying for, or doing, a full detail job. The list of "pitfalls" is endless.

That $100 labor to replace a tire isn't out of line these days. Heck, it costs $20 just to have a tire balanced if you take the mounted tire to them.

fireandice51
8th June 2011, 06:30
Yeah, the salesmen are the worst. Imagine them trying to sell me a bike to feed their own families with a commission! Lol. Really, I can't imagine being a bike salesmen through the winter. The salesmen here at the local HD have never pushed me, but then I haven't asked to use their time for free either. It would seem to me that that is the only way I would talk to them enough to get an impression one way or the other.

MN Mailman
8th June 2011, 13:07
Yeah, the salesmen are the worst. Imagine them trying to sell me a bike to feed their own families with a commission! Lol. Really, I can't imagine being a bike salesmen through the winter. The salesmen here at the local HD have never pushed me, but then I haven't asked to use their time for free either. It would seem to me that that is the only way I would talk to them enough to get an impression one way or the other.

If they're so concerned about their families, then the ones at my dealer need to do two things.

- quit acting like they're doing me a favor or that I'm bothering them. Impossible to get their face up from their computers at their desk, let alone for them to get off their ass.

- quit lying to my face.

Sorry no sympathy for them here.

83XLX
8th June 2011, 14:03
I went by the local dealer yesterday to buy some oil and a filter. Never had a problem before, but the parts guy had no idea where his parts book was for 79-85 Sportsters. While he was digging, I opened the 2011 H-D catalog on the parts counter to the "Maintenance" section and read him the p/n for the filter. He said "I already found it" and went in the back to get it. The one he returned with looked too long, but he swore it was the right one. He said they had no 60wt oil, though, only 20w50, so I just bought the filter. Got it home and it's the wrong one...it's for '84 and up (Evo style). Guess I'll be going back again today...:doh

Gone
8th June 2011, 14:34
Dealership labor rates (and more & more indies) these days, whether car or motorcycle, average around $95-$100/hr. for labor. Yeah, that's outrageous to us "old farts" that remember $15/hr labor rates.

Ever replaced a rear tire on a late model bagger with belt drive? It'll take at least 1 hr.. If it's owned by an anal-retentive yuppie and you put a miniscule scratch on that $1000+ polished billet rim, or the $400+ polished billet pulley, you're buying them a new one. You leave a "greasy" fingerprint on that $5000 custom paint job (or even a stock paint job) and you're going to be paying for, or doing, a full detail job. The list of "pitfalls" is endless.

That $100 labor to replace a tire isn't out of line these days. Heck, it costs $20 just to have a tire balanced if you take the mounted tire to them.

+1 on that. And that anal-retentive yuppie wants to only pay $20, cuz its "only changin a tire, how hard can that be?" Ran into that ALOT at the shop I worked at last year.

Gone
8th June 2011, 14:40
My local stealer even had BOTH thicknesses of copper head gaskets for my 74 in stock. Maybe now that the yuppie craze is ended, they realize that there is still a huge population of old bike owners out there that still need parts. I know here in Detroit, there is a large population of old shovel and iron owners, and the one real good indie guy just retired after 30 years.

shaymus
8th June 2011, 14:55
Yeah, the salesmen are the worst. Imagine them trying to sell me a bike to feed their own families with a commission! Lol. Really, I can't imagine being a bike salesmen through the winter. The salesmen here at the local HD have never pushed me, but then I haven't asked to use their time for free either. It would seem to me that that is the only way I would talk to them enough to get an impression one way or the other.Salesmen more like sales woman. That bugs the sh!t out of me. I would rather some grease monkey coming out of the back to sell me a bike.

rivethog
8th June 2011, 19:45
Salesmen more like sales woman. That bugs the sh!t out of me. I would rather some grease monkey coming out of the back to sell me a bike.
I'd much rather have a saleswoman that's knowlegable about H-D's CURRENT bikes try to sell me a NEW motorcycle, than an old school grease monkey that thinks H-D's last decent motorcycle was a Shovel or Ironhead.
I know a lady rider that puts more miles on a bike in a year than most riders do in 10yrs.

DonW
8th June 2011, 20:56
Hmm.

I never can get anyones attention, period at the local HD dealers. Just gone in to look around at a couple of them, and nobody says anything to me. Maybe that will change now that there isn't a shortage of new bikes.

GarryBoots
8th June 2011, 21:58
My biggest bitch about my local dealer is they ignore you when you need parts. They act like they are doing me a favor when they wait on me. They sure dont view me as a pay check, just an inconvience.

Stick_Man
8th June 2011, 22:08
I'd much rather have a saleswoman that's knowlegable about H-D's CURRENT bikes try to sell me a NEW motorcycle, than an old school grease monkey that thinks H-D's last decent motorcycle was a Shovel or Ironhead.
I know a lady rider that puts more miles on a bike in a year than most riders do in 10yrs.

What the hell is that supposed to mean? You realize that you're on an Ironhead forum?

TO be honest I never buy motorycycles at the dealers. I've had a couple of women try selling me cars and they seemed the same as men doing it.

85mm
8th June 2011, 23:18
Back in the 70's, I bought some Kawasaki's and Yamaha's new from the dealer. He was a guy who lived out in the country and the "dealership" was a barn in his back yard. The parts room looked like on old horse stall and the guy had a rough motocross track behind the barn where you could test ride new dirt bikes. Street bikes? He had a simple policy: Here's the keys - let me know how you like it. The local Harley dealer was a converted gas station. He could barely get 8 bikes in there. Now look at them. Gleaming new glass and steel buildings with floors so clean you could eat off of them. My two local HD dealers must have 50 bikes each on the floor - figure they're worth about a half million dollars all together at each dealership. Service area has enough room for maybe 15 bikes at once and there's a parking lot with maybe another twenty waiting for service. All of them BT's - doesn't appear to me that they even service Sportsters - new or old. As long as there are lawyers and dentists with gold chains, these guys won't care what greasy goofball walks in off the street to buy a gasket. I guess that's progress, but I liked it better in the old days.

mph2
8th June 2011, 23:54
The first time I call my local dealer it was for rocker box gaskets for my 75 ironhead and they didn't have them. Yesterday I call for a primary gasket thinking it was a no and they surprised the hell out of me they had 7 of them on shelf and the parts guy was my age ( young lol ) and had a 71 sporty and loves it and on top of all that they were closing in 20 minutes and it was a half hour drive and I paid for it over the phone and he was cool even to leave it under a trash can for me that night. And the sales people are cool for me they simply ask if you need help and if you say no Or youre just looking they say no problem and if you need anything they are going to be right over there a thumbs up for them!

83XLX
9th June 2011, 23:04
...I read him the p/n for the filter. He said "I already found it" and went in the back to get it. The one he returned with looked too long, but he swore it was the right one. He said they had no 60wt oil, though, only 20w50, so I just bought the filter. Got it home and it's the wrong one...it's for '84 and up (Evo style). Guess I'll be going back again today...:doh

Went back today, and there was someone at the parts counter who knew what he was doing. He looked up the right part (filter) and they had 13 of 'em. I asked if they had any 60wt oil in the back and he said "sure, how many quarts do you want?". I told him the parts guy who waited on me a couple days ago wasn't much punkin'...:laugh

mikethebike61
10th June 2011, 01:56
1.DYNA. DUMP the points.
2.Accel regulator. Dump the mechanical one.
3.Hayden primary tensioner. DUMP the stock adjuster.
4.CV carb. DUMP the butterflys.
5.I just installed late model switches/levers. DUMP those too small switch housings.
6.Works shocks. DUMP the stockers.
7.RACE-TEC Gold-Emulators/Progrressive springs. DUMP the stock fork stuff.
8.WILWOOD 4-piston/fixed calipers with sintered metal pads. DUMP the stock junk.

You will not regret ANY of the above.

Dennab
10th June 2011, 04:34

95 to 100 for labor, I'm glad I dont live where u do :banana

mikethebike61
10th June 2011, 04:44
What the hell is that supposed to mean? You realize that you're on an Ironhead forum?

TO be honest I never buy motorycycles at the dealers. I've had a couple of women try selling me cars and they seemed the same as men doing it.

I don't think he knows where he is.

mikethebike61
10th June 2011, 04:52
The newer bikes just don't have the soul.........Try using 76 camaro six banger points from advance, lots cheaper

ALL GM cars begining in 1975 had HEI systems. Maybe you type as well as I and meant to say 1967 6-cylinder Camaro.

OlGrampy
12th June 2011, 03:22
And to whoever thinks after-market sucks...umm Manley, S&S, Rivera, Vance & Hines, Sifton, Rev-Tech, Corbin, Paugho, should I go on? Harley doesn't stock old parts. When I need a transmission washer or other machined part, it usually comes from Eastern, some parts are very hard to find, and I salute all companies who still make parts to keep our old machines running. There is some cheap stuff out there, and you get what you pay for. If it wasn't for aftermarket parts, a lot of bikes would be dead in the water.

mikethebike61
13th June 2011, 23:18
And to whoever thinks after-market sucks...umm Manley, S&S, Rivera, Vance & Hines, Sifton, Rev-Tech, Corbin, Paugho, should I go on? Harley doesn't stock old parts. When I need a transmission washer or other machined part, it usually comes from Eastern, some parts are very hard to find, and I salute all companies who still make parts to keep our old machines running. There is some cheap stuff out there, and you get what you pay for. If it wasn't for aftermarket parts, a lot of bikes would be dead in the water.

When I was rebuilding the XLCH in 1996 I called H-D to inquire about parts availability and was told in no uncertain terms that:

"Harley-Davidson no longer supports those bikes."

But here's one for you....almost EVERY part on the bike is an 'aftermarket' part. Why? Because H-D does not manufacture very many of the parts. They are just like the car folks...put out requests for supplier bids to supply a certain part and go with the low-bidder who will agree to meet specs. Same as the U.S. military.

ratt2y
14th June 2011, 05:20
This is a mighty strange post..i think i will move on how bow,t you mikethebiker?looks like spam?

timberjack
14th June 2011, 12:04
Well i was lucky enough goin down the road to the owner of rockys in london ,he lives two doors down from my dad and is a great guy, i was in need of the clutch basket lock washer and he looked threw his stuff and found a box full of them.Guess he is done at rockys opening a new shop at his house near appin Ont.
Dino , he is a great guy who knows his stuff they dont call him the harley doctor for nothing.He speacializing in v-twins but has the odd old parts around.