PDA

View Full Version : Broken Drive Belt

petefwa
13th August 2005, 15:01
My drive belt broke (I think) coming home from work last night.Sitting on about 70mph on the highway and suddenly no drive. Rolled to a stop and no belt no noise, no bang, visually the belt looked ok (checked it a couple of days ago) .The bike is a 92 xl 883 I bought about 15 months ago. It had about 10,000 miles on it and I've since done about another 16,000 miles. Could'nt find any trace of the the belt and I'm pretty pissed off about it. My local dealer here in Perth (West Aussie) wants 643 bucks for a new one, though I found one for under 400.The bike has never been flogged and I've looked after it maintance wise.I expected a bloody lot longer lifespan than that.

aswracing
13th August 2005, 15:12
Buell has a new belt out that's supposedly bulletproof. Made by Goodyear, developed for the Ulysses. Spec'ed for the life of the bike and claimed to be stronger than a 530 chain. I think it's 128 tooth, I know people are putting them on tube frame Buells and those all used a regular 128 tooth Sportster belt (even said "Sportster" on it). Does your bike have the international 29/55 gearing? It may have a 125T belt if it does. Sounds like a good opportunity to change the gearing and upgrade the belt at the same time.

xl-scratch
17th August 2005, 15:39
The bike has never been flogged and I've looked after it maintance wise.I expected a bloody lot longer lifespan than that.

Hey, mine broke after 7500 miles on a 2005. It happens...

petefwa
20th August 2005, 13:15
Fitted my new belt last night,took about 1.5 hrs. paid 350 dollars aus, pretty good after 643 dollars quote from my local dealer. I dont begrudge anyone making money, but thats a bloody big diference for an indentical part. They are both made by Gates

XLFREAK
20th August 2005, 14:16
Fitted my new belt last night,took about 1.5 hrs. paid 350 dollars aus, pretty good after 643 dollars quote from my local dealer. I dont begrudge anyone making money, but thats a bloody big diference for an indentical part. They are both made by Gates
Even $350 is absolutely rediculous for a belt like that. And $643 is just plain robbery. The belts on my snowmobiles, that take alot more abuse and are made much stronger than these belts are less than $100. There is no reason why Harley should be screwing their customers like that.

By the way, there are several aftermarket companies selling Harley belts. Dayco, Gates, and BDL are just a few. And the prices run right around $150ish. If mine ever breaks Harley won't see a dime from me for a new one.

jhawkr
20th August 2005, 15:01
How long should a drivebelt normally last? In terms of miles.

AZbiker
20th August 2005, 17:38
I got 35k out of my first belt.

gronk62
21st August 2005, 06:39
How long should a drivebelt normally last? In terms of miles.
How long is a piece of string?
It all depends on usage...and a bit of luck :D

I got close to 100,000kms (60,000miles) on my 96 Sporty belt and it still looked good cept for a few small stone chips. Sold the bike with the original belt so I dunno how much further it went.

Bill2
21st August 2005, 06:52
They can go over a 100,000 i know of a sportster with 115,000 miles and still going on the first belt.

bigdogbark
21st August 2005, 20:08
How long is a piece of string?
It all depends on usage...and a bit of luck :D

I got close to 100,000kms (60,000miles) on my 96 Sporty belt and it still looked good cept for a few small stone chips. Sold the bike with the original belt so I dunno how much further it went.

How could you sell it? I like older sprorty, cheaper to work on and I can set it up the way I like. Sell a sporty, NEVER!!!

Jason's Sporty
21st August 2005, 21:13
wow 115,000 man any internal work done on that? my 86 needed valves to be redone at like 35,000 also put in new rings at the time. the crosshatches were still clearly visible in the cylinder. I would think that it would need at least that and the lower end bearings to stay alive another 100,000.

gronk62
22nd August 2005, 00:44
How could you sell it?
Long, stupid story..and I often curse the day I made that dumb decision :rolleyes:

I have fond memories of that bike as the best bike I ever owned :)

Bill2
22nd August 2005, 01:12
wow 115,000 man any internal work done on that? my 86 needed valves to be redone at like 35,000 also put in new rings at the time. the crosshatches were still clearly visible in the cylinder. I would think that it would need at least that and the lower end bearings to stay alive another 100,000.
No internal work just a coil or two and a motor mount. Thats all i remember. It's webmasters bike she could tell you more about it.

willprevale
22nd August 2005, 01:56
Even $350 is absolutely rediculous for a belt like that. And $643 is just plain robbery. ...By the way, there are several aftermarket companies selling Harley belts. Dayco, Gates, and BDL are just a few. And the prices run right around $150ish. If mine ever breaks Harley won't see a dime from me for a new one.
If you pay more than $175 for a new belt, you just got screwed. And if ya can't put it on yerself, you gonna get screwed again.

gronk62
22nd August 2005, 02:11
If you pay more than $175 for a new belt, you just got screwed.
As far as I know they are over $400 retail down here.
Yep we get screwed big time

AZbiker
22nd August 2005, 16:07
Hey Will, they are in OZ. Not a 1-1 currency exchange down there. $175 US is approximately $232 in Australia. But the tarriffs must be fargin' INCREDIBLE to get $400 Aud for a belt. OUCH. That's $300 USD.

crosscheck
22nd August 2005, 16:08
If you pay more than $175 for a new belt, you just got screwed. And if ya can't put it on yerself, you gonna get screwed again.

The guy in the original thread was talking AUS., not US. for currency. Not sure how that converts.

carl2124
25th August 2005, 02:20
I was trying to cross match the 2005 custom 1200 belt on one the other belt manufactures......has anyone gound this info out yet? the only other way for me to do it is to take the old belt , and match it up.....Im not going to do that unless it breaks....

petefwa
13th January 2006, 12:15
Thought I'd drag up my original broken belt thread as my replacement belt broke last night. 4200 miles out of a belt is not real good mileage and I'm pretty pxxxxd off about it. No obious reason, just changin' down gears to pull in my driveway and suddenly nothin'. My original belt did about 25000 miles which I was'nt real happy about. My crazy riding days are long gone and the speed limit is about all I do now days, keepin' just ahead of the traffic is about the limit as far as accelaration goes. Any info on just how long they are supposed to last would be much appreciated.

DustyJacket
13th January 2006, 12:52
If a rock gets between the belt and sprocket, it doesn't matter how many miles you have on it. Do you drive around gravel? Or newly resurfaced asphalt? Is there any sign of wear on the edge of the belt? You may want the dealer to look at the sprocket for damage, and whole setup. It sounds a bit odd.

Hopefully you aren't one of the folks that removed their belt guard for looks. They do serve a purpose.

petefwa
4th March 2006, 13:16
Thought I might as well keep the thread going. My second replacement belt broke tonight. Fitted it six weeks ago and done about 1200 miles. Everything else is ok as far as wear etc is concerned. Any advice, help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Excuse me while I go and blow off a bit more steam!!!!

gronk62
5th March 2006, 06:22
Thought I might as well keep the thread going. My second replacement belt broke tonight. Fitted it six weeks ago and done about 1200 miles. Everything else is ok as far as wear etc is concerned. Any advice, help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Excuse me while I go and blow off a bit more steam!!!!
I always run my belt a bit looser than factory spec coz I believe, and this is just my opinion, factory spec is too tight.

So far 200,000km+ on 4 belt drive bikes and no broken belts.

kev6arses
5th March 2006, 08:25
Bummer :( ......maybe your running it a bit tight ?????.....when you have fitted the belt you should be able to twist it with ease to at least 45 degrees at the bottom where the gaurd is. Any tighter then you run the risk of either breaking the belt or buggering up your bearing. Much looser and you risk the thing skipping and ripping teeth off.
And if it makes you feel any better the belts here cost about £190 ($350 US) and that don't include the fitting !!!:censor

mackenziem
17th August 2006, 04:34
I have destroyed 2 belts in the last year! Ripped the teeth off of both of them. Not sure how old the first belt was. I bought the bike 4 years ago with 20000 mile on it. May have been original. I replaced the belt with a non-harley aftermarket belt and had the same thing happen last week. (Anyone else have the teeth stripped without snapping the belt?) I have upgraded the bike this year installing Thunderstorm heads and pistons and N2 cams. Bike goes like a raped ape now. :banana Shoudda gotten the N4s. Blows away my friend's Heritage when, before the upgrade, he used to play with me. Anyways, I have purchased the new Buell Goodyear belt that is supposed to be virtually indestructable. I ride the bike very hard. Love speed and acceleration ;) . I'll let you know how I make out.

BTW I bought the belt from Suburban Harley and had it shipped for a total of $142 including shipping! Cheaper than the stock Sportster belt and no sales tax!

Krayven Sumhead
21st August 2006, 12:38
My '05 manual sez if the belt has broken from anything other than damage from a stone, it's a good idea to replace both front and rear sprockets when installing the new belt. The manual also states that 'twisting' the belt to set the tension is a bad idea. The manual sez this always allows the belts to be too loose, resulting in shearing off the cleats and crimping the cords, shortening the life of the belt. The belt tension tool from the MoCo only costs about $20. But, I agree that the specs for the belt are too tight. I set mine to specs and then backed off the adjusters about 1/8 turn, cuz the belts DO tighten as everthang warms up. '05 XL1200C's use a 137 tooth belt and they are hard too find thru the aftermarket crowd. Two 'stealers' in my area were sold out and having trouble getting replacements. Also.....the indy I use sez that Harley only puts the top of the line belts on their bikes. He sez (not me) to stick with what came on the bike. He also said that my broken belt was a 'fluke'. He's been an indy for over 30 years now, and I respect his opinion. He's always done right by me and I've been using him for about 30 years.
The belt on my '03 Ultra has over 37,000 miles and no problems so far, however, I can tell, just by feel, that it's much looser than my properly adjusted sportster belt. Changing the drive belt on a sporty is much easier than changing one on a 'fat-head'.

AeroSport
21st August 2006, 17:28
I got one of the new Goodyear belts for my 05 883 cause I needed a shorter belt when I changed gearing. I ordered the one for the 06 Firebolt and it was a 135 tooth belt and I got from Chicago HD for 129.00 + shpipping, which was cheaper than the OEM sportster belt. I think it is better looking as well as it has a pebble grained outer surface rather than the ribbed that comes stock. They are also available in other lengths from Goodyear industrial distributors. They are called the Blackhawk series, 14mm pitch. Info is available on the Goodyear site. I have been running it a little tight in anticipation of some breakin stretch but so far it hasn't. I might need to loosen it a little if it doesn't by another couple of hundred miles.

Deimus
21st August 2006, 19:47
I got one of the new Goodyear belts for my 05 883 cause I needed a shorter belt when I changed gearing. I ordered the one for the 06 Firebolt and it was a 135 tooth belt and I got from Chicago HD for 129.00 + shpipping, which was cheaper than the OEM sportster belt. I think it is better looking as well as it has a pebble grained outer surface rather than the ribbed that comes stock. They are also available in other lengths from Goodyear industrial distributors. They are called the Blackhawk series, 14mm pitch. Info is available on the Goodyear site. I have been running it a little tight in anticipation of some breakin stretch but so far it hasn't. I might need to loosen it a little if it doesn't by another couple of hundred miles.

I did a search and found the following link for the Goodyear Blackhawk information: ProductInfo (http://www.goodyearptp.com/powertransmission/products/pdf/blackhawk_pd.pdf) According to this it seems you were lucky that you wanted a 135 tooth belt. For the 14mm pitch, it lists pitch length 1890 then 2100. The 1890 is 135 teeth (1890 / 14 = 135). The next length up is 2100 which is 150 teeth. It doesn't seem to be availble in 137 teeth.

AeroSport
22nd August 2006, 00:23
I did a search and found the following link for the Goodyear Blackhawk information: ProductInfo (http://www.goodyearptp.com/powertransmission/products/pdf/blackhawk_pd.pdf) According to this it seems you were lucky that you wanted a 135 tooth belt. For the 14mm pitch, it lists pitch length 1890 then 2100. The 1890 is 135 teeth (1890 / 14 = 135). The next length up is 2100 which is 150 teeth. It doesn't seem to be availble in 137 teeth.

The site doesn't list the 28.5 mm width that I have as being available either? It does say that they can manufacture other sizes as well, so maybe its a hunting expedition to find other sizes?

jrossty
6th February 2008, 15:32
Like I said... anyways, I may need to put a new belt on my '97 sportster sport. I don't have a manual (yet), and need to know how to find out what size I have/need for replacement. Help is much appreciated, thanks!

jrossty
6th February 2008, 15:49
128 tooth?? 137 tooth belt?? I'm scratching my head at this one...

Gone
11th February 2008, 16:01
Like I said... anyways, I may need to put a new belt on my '97 sportster sport. I don't have a manual (yet), and need to know how to find out what size I have/need for replacement. Help is much appreciated, thanks!

I have the same bike and wish someone would post a answer for us...

Joe Dirt
12th February 2008, 02:05
I have the same bike and wish someone would post a answer for us...

For an '03 and older, you can use the 128T Goodyear belt part# G0500.1AAE.

$121.60 http://www.chicagoharley.com