PDA

View Full Version : Ironhead generator gear!

goochman
25th June 2011, 20:10
pulling my oem stock generator off my 74 and putting on a cycle electric. but the sock gear wont come off...any ideas? do i have to get a new one? is the gear permanently attached to the generator shaft? the stock bearing wont come off either....

please help.

78ironhead
25th June 2011, 20:46
Your gonna need a gear/bearing puller, or maybe two screwdrivers and pry it off. It should come right off.

nikki
25th June 2011, 20:46
pulling my oem stock generator off my 74 and putting on a cycle electric. but the sock gear wont come off...any ideas? do i have to get a new one? is the gear permanently attached to the generator shaft? the stock bearing wont come off either....

please help. try a small two jaw gear puller or a slide hammer with three jaws Nikki

MN Mailman
25th June 2011, 23:41
They can be a bear to get off, even with a puller. Recently had to take mine off.

If nothing else, they're usually for sale on eBay.

IronMick
26th June 2011, 02:06
You need to use a puller which you can buy at Canadian Tire, Harbor Freight, Princess Auto, or any auto supply store ...

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr227/mdawdy/Tools/Pullers.jpg

The one on the right is a light duty puller and would not be good enough - the jaws would probably bend in use.

The one on the left has extra support bolts near the jaws at the bottom. Note that the jaws are very shallow, but strong.

Hopper
26th June 2011, 07:08
Try to pull off your original gear and reuse it.
Many of the aftermarket gears are poorly made and cause problems because of loose fit, soft steel etc.