PDA

View Full Version : Rubbermount_EFI Nash Midget Gimps help!

enkindel
29th July 2011, 01:27
Well after 6 weeks of waiting I finally got my 16" nash midget/mini gimps in. They look great but I got a huge problem, they arent knurled! I originally thought I ordered these in black with dimpling drilling, 1" bar, and knurled... now when I go to the website I dont even see knurled being an option. I know they changed the website some because the order tracking page no longer exist... either Im imagining things or they took away the knurled option after my order was placed. Ive got a few questions, does anyone know if these were available knurled in the past? If your gimps are not knurled do they slip? Or can you tell me some kind of remedy to "half assed knurl" them myself? After waiting 6 weeks for these bad boys it about makes me sick to the stomach when I saw they werent knurled :censor like I said maybe I was just imagining things and for some reason was under the impression these were knurled. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hardcharg3r
29th July 2011, 01:47
I have a 20" pair and my wife has a 10" pair. Knurling was not an option when i got mine 2 yrs ago. I diddn't see it as an option when I got my wife's last year.
I haven't had an issue with slipping but I regularly check the clamping bolts on my riser.

StogieJoe
29th July 2011, 01:54
yeah mine weren't knurled either and there wasn't an option for it when i ordered back in 09. They did slip no matter how tight i tried to get the clamp so You have a few options and it's all up to you and then i'll tell you what i did. You can buy a hand knurling tool which is around $200. I ended up putting some JB weld under the bar clamp and so far its held fine. Now either way you can't push your bike around the driveway even if they were knurled by grabbing the top of the bars or else you take a chance of snapping them off. Dont be so worried and either buy the hand tool or slap some JB weld on it.

enkindel
29th July 2011, 01:58
Alright, thanks for the replies. That answered my questions.

shotgun46
29th July 2011, 01:58
Or take a dremel with a disk and slice some shallow groves in the bars ! where they should be knurled

StogieJoe
29th July 2011, 02:01
Or take a dremel with a disk and slice some shallow groves in the bars ! where they should be knurled

that doesn't work. Its not the same as Knurling which is raising the material in a grooved pattern so it doesn't slip. If you cut grooves it takes material away from bars that already slip.

shotgun46
29th July 2011, 02:04
Yea I know what Knurling is and it did work for me !

enkindel
29th July 2011, 02:08
http://www.nolansupply.com/bysubcategory.asp?category=Toolholding%2FWorkholdi ng&supercategory=Knurling+Tools+and+Knurls+-+Eagle+Rock&subcategory=Eagle+Rock+Technologies+Knurling+Tools +-+Quick+Acting+Clamp+Type%26nbsp%3B&type=False&specs=True

That or some JB weld looks to be the answer... I work in a steel mill so I think I might just take a trip over to the maintenance shop, sounds like a nightshift project if they got one of those hand knurling tools laying around.

StogieJoe
29th July 2011, 02:08
Yea I know what Knurling is and it did work for me !

was that with Nash bars?

StogieJoe
29th July 2011, 02:16
I want one of those hand knurling tools but just cant seem to drop the bones for it. Ive just started making my own bars so i might end up having to buy it.

elliotallen
29th July 2011, 13:43
i have the same bars and this is what worked for me. take a strip of open mesh sand cloth (plumbing isle at home depot/lowes) and wrap it once around the bars so it is hidden by the clamp and tighten...works like a charm