PDA

View Full Version : 120 today

zworld
1st January 2005, 05:02
I hit 120mph today, at the kansas oklahoma border. It was good, I was afraid of seeing a trooper though. Nice weather though. 68 degrees. Bike is running well. Felt like I was doing 65mhp, these things ride nice.

Leef
1st January 2005, 05:31
Is this speed based on the speedo? Mine (2004 1200R) reads 6% high based on GPS, so for me, 120 indicated would be 113. In any case, how was the handling? Did you have a windshield?

wickedsprint
1st January 2005, 05:42
The stock speedo is very optimistic. I still miss my VMAX sometimes where you could accidently hit 120 if you were not paying attention..bike could be doing an honest 130 at the top of most longer entrance ramps..made merging effortless.

zworld
1st January 2005, 06:12
yes speed is based on the speedo. I assume that it is not accurate, i was a cop once, and I know that there are some discrepincancies. Just having fun. I know that there are a lot of old fogies here that are afraid to go more than the speed limit, they think that 80 is fast, i scoff at you fellars you should not be on a motorcycle, but maybe a moped. a sportster is for riding hard, give it hell. fookkers

zworld
1st January 2005, 06:23
he he , just kidding, well maybe not. ride or stay home with momma!

willprevale
1st January 2005, 07:36
I know that there are a lot of old fogies here that are afraid to go more than the speed limit, they think that 80 is fast, i scoff at you fellars you should not be on a motorcycle, but maybe a moped. a sportster is for riding hard, give it hell. fookkers

:nocomment

collinsb
1st January 2005, 08:42
I know that there are a lot of old fogies here that are afraid to go more than the speed limit, they think that 80 is fast, i scoff at you fellars you should not be on a motorcycle, but maybe a moped. a sportster is for riding hard, give it hell. fookkers

Zworld,
Just this last summer, I had my moped, eeer, I mean Sporty a flying down the highway at 80 By Gawd miles per hour. She was a runnin smooth as peanut butter and I'm not talkin chucky style! The speed limit was 65 miles per hour, so's I was running illeagle, By Gawd! I passed by a Copper car and he pulls me over red lights and siren. I sat there on the side of the road revving the engine so's he could enjoy my pipes. He comes a swaggering up to the bike with his ticket book in hand and yells "Hey Bub, you got a drivers license for that girlie bike?" I looked that Copper right in the eye and yelled, "Hey yerself flatfoot, ain't you got nothing better ta do than to chase down a old man on his motorbike who's ain't a bothering nobody. Why don't you git back in your fancy smancy squad car and chase down them young punk kids running 120+ n putting ruts in the concrete, hmmmmm. So how do ya like dem apples, Mr. oinker man?" That Copper and me then goes into a stare down mode when he finally comments, "You make a very good point, sir. I probably could do my job more efficiently. I'm very sorry to bother you!" He then handed me $10 for being a good citizen, got back in his squad car and continued his beat.
He was a nice man! I felt kind of bad that I was so rough on him.
Billy

barry1967
1st January 2005, 14:00
LMAO billy. Just woke up from new year fetivities and I read this. fancy smancy,by gawd, flatfoot...haven't heard those terms in a while. Ya got me laughing and making my head hurt.

Barry Clark
1st January 2005, 14:29
I had my moped humming at a brisk 110mph. I was.......cleaning the.....top of the pistons. Yeah. You think the cops will buy that story?

*A well intentioned nod to anyone who quotes Robocop on this one.*

pquirk
1st January 2005, 15:35
yes speed is based on the speedo. I assume that it is not accurate, i was a cop once, and I know that there are some discrepincancies. Just having fun. I know that there are a lot of old fogies here that are afraid to go more than the speed limit, they think that 80 is fast, i scoff at you fellars you should not be on a motorcycle, but maybe a moped. a sportster is for riding hard, give it hell. fookkers

The beauty of a Sporty is that it works and looks great going 110 on the super slab or 30 down the local blvd. It's the most versatile bike in existence. With a Sporty you can do whatever you want. There's a continuum that exists with the slow cruiser on one end and the nutty reckless speed demon on the other. We all choose the point along the continuum that makes us at one with the bike and happy with our place in the universe. Many of us also choose different points along the continuum daily depending on our mood and the conditions, the Sporty facilitates that choice by being so versatile. The the Sporty is actually a good metaphor for life; sometimes you need to turn the dial up to 11 and sometimes you need to swing in a hammock with a Corona. One of the reasons I love this forum is that the vast majority of the folks hear realize and appreciate this.

Happy New Year everyone!

wickedsprint
1st January 2005, 16:15
The hilarious thing is that HD tells you in the owners manual not to exceed 90 mph with the sportster 1200. At least for 03.

Barry Clark
1st January 2005, 16:58
The hilarious thing is that HD tells you in the owners manual not to exceed 90 mph with the sportster 1200. At least for 03.Haha. I will have to try and find an 01 manual to see if it says the same about mine.

I got my bike and thought that I had put the years of semi-craziness behind me. In my mind, I was a gonna get a great bike and just cruise, take in the scenery.

I got on it and then........wide open straight-away.....no traffiic...............

.....no cops............

Like a reflex action throttle yakned back and the bike shifted through all gears until the engine hummed like a chainsaw. Once glance down at the speedo and a moment of clarity left me talking the bike down so that I could make the sharp turn I needed to take. It wasn't the bikes fault; I just hadn't let the big dog eat. So, just to keep things sane between my bike and me, I let the dog out a little. :D

xl1200r
1st January 2005, 18:11
The most I've done was an indicated 100mph. I don't need to go any faster. I was behind my buddy on XB12S Buell, so I decided to give him a run for his money and blasted bynhim as he was getting off his exit...he didn't even know I was comming.

PlanB
1st January 2005, 18:48
I guess we should applaud the "120'ers" for ensuring that if they do happen to get the rubber side up, at least us taxpayers won't have to pay for an invalid in a nursing home for years to come! There's a time and place for everything...go to the local drag strip to get your jollies...the streets are dangerous enough...not that I don't like going fast...I've had two drag cars (F/G and D/A) and raced motocross for seven years...so I'm not against speed...just make sure you only hurt yourself while playing! :frownthre

Barry Clark
1st January 2005, 22:03
I guess we should applaud the "120'ers" for ensuring that if they do happen to get the rubber side up, at least us taxpayers won't have to pay for an invalid in a nursing home for years to come! There's a time and place for everything...go to the local drag strip to get your jollies...the streets are dangerous enough...not that I don't like going fast...I've had two drag cars (F/G and D/A) and raced motocross for seven years...so I'm not against speed...just make sure you only hurt yourself while playing! :frownthreGot it covered. ;)

I got on it and then........wide open straight-away.....no traffiic...............

jwb47
2nd January 2005, 04:10
my speedo is no where near off by 6% its about as close to true as it can be. if you were off by 6% at 120mph then you would actually be going 112.8 mph do ya think thats gonna make much difference on the impact into the back of a semi or the impact of the gavel in traffic court?

gwcrim
2nd January 2005, 13:53
:spineyes I've gone 180 MPH on MY Sportster! :spineyes

Desertfox
2nd January 2005, 14:26
my speedo is no where near off by 6% its about as close to true as it can be. if you were off by 6% at 120mph then you would actually be going 112.8 mph do ya think thats gonna make much difference on the impact into the back of a semi or the impact of the gavel in traffic court?

Actually hitting the back of a semi at 40mph is not exactly a bed of roses either.

wickedsprint
3rd January 2005, 15:32
I have a no rear ending of semi trucks policy.