PDA

View Full Version : thinking ahead...

engine
15th November 2004, 22:16
I plan on a 1200 maybe next year. What is the better way to go, new cylinders or have the 883's bored out? I'd like the look of the V-Twin Weisco 10:1 kit in black...but how are those Taiwan cylinders?

cantolina
16th November 2004, 16:24
I posted this as a poll recently...

The poll ended up split pretty evenly, but the replies I got persuaded me to keep my buckets and have them bored......

dwardy
16th November 2004, 17:50
I bored mine simply because I didn't ever plan on going back. :laugh

gordy
16th November 2004, 18:09
The Vtwin kit is pretty good and theres nothing wrong with the Taiwan jugs at all.

If your looking to get the job done quick without having to wait for your jugs to be machined go with one of the pre fit kits

Shu
16th November 2004, 18:45
They say that 'seasoned' cylinders are better, but the stock ones weren't 'seasoned' and they can go over 100,000 miles if you do not ride too hard too often. Finding a good machine shop that will bore the cylinders using torque plates and is familiar with HD cylinders can be tricky in some areas. Ask your dealer or reputable indy who they recommend.

I chose to keep my 883 cylinders, pistons and stock cams. I did this for several reasons. I wasn't real impressed with the machine shop that the dealer and indy recommended (I had used him on a small block Chevy and his work was not up to my standards), I wanted to do the conversion rather quickly and not wait for the cylinders to be bored after I tore it apart, and I wanted to keep the old ones because I have another idea for another major conversion someday....

edman
16th November 2004, 23:37
I plan on a 1200 maybe next year. What is the better way to go, new cylinders or have the 883's bored out? I'd like the look of the V-Twin Weisco 10:1 kit in black...but how are those Taiwan cylinders?

I bought new cylinders to avoid down time. I figured I would have to ship them somewhere (like Nalien). Then, it turned out I needed head work and was down anyway. If I had know about the local guy I found to do my head work I would have just had him do the stock cylinders. Anyway now I have extra cylinders for next time ...

Btw I bought the V-twin kit with Taiwan Cylinders. Only 500 miles so far, but all seems very good.

engine
17th November 2004, 22:58
I spoke to a tech at my local HD, he says that for my '89, it would be wise to put buell lightning parts into it when I do the conversion. '86-00 lightning top end will bolt right in. With the right stuff, about 105-110hp can be had at the wheel. Anyone do the buell heads, cams, jugs, flywheel to theirs? What did it run you? I know there was some buell talk here in the past, I just didn't get a chance to read it... :frownthre

Flamin883
27th November 2004, 16:41
The time that the motor is apart is the big differance, especially if your sending the parts off to be worked. I know HQ will sell you a set and then you return yours for the core chg to eliminate downtime, But it's like 400 for heads and 200 for jugs.