PDA

View Full Version : unloading from trailer?

XLFREAK
2nd January 2005, 01:54
What is the best way to UNLOAD your bike from a trailer with a lift gate on it? Experiences will be greatly appreciated and what to watch out for!

flathead45
2nd January 2005, 03:56
first gear, WOT, and hang on ....yaaaaaaaaaaa hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Barry Clark
2nd January 2005, 04:23
Never had a gate on one.

How large is the platform?

XLFREAK
2nd January 2005, 04:37
Never had a gate on one.

How large is the platform?

5'wide and 4' long, it drops down from the back and is made of "expanded" metal, slippery when wet---have droped the bike once when trying to back it off, but it was not connected to the van, all the weight of the bike shifted to the rear and "up" went the front of the trailer, Lessoned learned!
don't think WOT would work at all, since the bike doesn't even need to be running, just in neutral!! :frownthre

XLFREAK
2nd January 2005, 04:39
first gear, WOT, and hang on ....yaaaaaaaaaaa hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

was this your "experience"??? lol :o

flathead45
2nd January 2005, 04:45
no but I did try loading a bike onto a pickup by riding up a 2"x12" , hit the underside uf the bike at the top and stopped cold , guess what ? no place to put my feet to hold me upright

timberrrrrrrrrrrrr

yep , I wound up upside down (good thing it was just a honda) :p

XLFREAK
2nd January 2005, 05:04
no but I did try loading a bike onto a pickup by riding up a 2"x12" , hit the underside uf the bike at the top and stopped cold , guess what ? no place to put my feet to hold me upright

timberrrrrrrrrrrrr

yep , I wound up upside down (good thing it was just a honda) :p

exactly! when the trailer went up with me, lost footing and down she went!!! not good

chipdog4
2nd January 2005, 05:11
Jack the front end of the trailer up so its sky high. My buddy was driving his up on a trailer like that and drug the frame bigger than shit. When we unloaded it, we put a couple of 2x4's under the gate so it would sit more level.

Oh and good thing you can use a trailer, loading it into a truck bed would be a nightmare.

flathead45
2nd January 2005, 05:14
my old house , the ditch was just the right depth that when I backed my pickup into it the tailgate was level with the ground so I just pushed it in (or rode) just like a loading dock

god I miss that

cobra0478
2nd January 2005, 06:17
Leave the trailer connected to the tow vehicle,place the bike in neutral,while straddling the bike,both feet on the floor of the trailer,slowly start to back the bike off as it starts to break over gently apply the front brake,apply enough brake so the bike doesn't runaway with you and let the weight of the bike roll itself off the trailer.
If it is a tilt trailer,do the same thing but start applying the brake as the trailer begains to tilt.
Don

thunderpaw
2nd January 2005, 14:48

timberrrrrrrrrrrrr

yep , I wound up upside down (good thing it was just a honda)

Fortunately I've only done this once! :frownthre

Kim

vetteguy
2nd January 2005, 22:32
It helps if you have a couple of guys to help. Better safe than sorry. Guy

waterboy
3rd January 2005, 04:04
I bought a pretty nice ramp to $100.00. Since I use is at least a dozen times a year it's been a good buy. It's aluminium, has box rails with groved rungs and a slight arch. I am pretty careful loading and unloading from the pick-m-up but the ramp makes the difference for me.

NYSPORTY
3rd January 2005, 21:01
just get on it and take it off not a hard thing to do if it scrapes the bottom a little so be it

flathead45
5th January 2005, 03:22
heres how to load a bike in a van carefully (http://www.trailerinabag.com/load.mpeg) and by your self

mikeLI_77
5th January 2005, 04:29
you can get some grip tape from home depot to put on the trailor so you won't slip or even better cover the loading ramp with hurculiner (pick-up truck bed liner with grit in it) which is basically like a rubber coating with little chunks of plastic in it to give you traction(works good). can get it at almost any car store. you know that stuff that has sand paper on one side and the other side is a stiker that you can stick to anything. if you unload the trailer by yourself without the truck attached to it put a cynder block or two underneath the back of the trailor which will only let the trailor rise so much before it hits the cynder blocks and stops (unless you have a tilt trailor then that won't work). your better off having the vehicle attached to the trailor before you load the bike anyway though. or if you really want to be able to take it on and off the trailor without having it on the van, dig yourself a hole with a pole digger about 2' deep put a large eye hook in the center and fill it with concrete, than you put your safety chains from the trailor onto the eye hook and that should be strong enough to hold the front of the trailor down. it may go up a little but not all the way. but the cynder blocks in the back is much cheaper and easier to do.

cypher
5th January 2005, 14:47
heres how to load a bike in a van carefully (http://www.trailerinabag.com/load.mpeg) and by your self

:yikes :laugh That was pretty good!! I was laughing and a co-worker was in shock--she thought it was real.

vetteguy
5th January 2005, 19:56
That is some funny stuff Flathead. Where do you find that Chit? Guy

sportsterrific
5th January 2005, 20:08
I vote for Flathead's method. And I believe it would be safer and easier with an open trailer. Man that would be cool if you could pull it off!

flathead45
5th January 2005, 20:11
what do you mean if , that was me loading my ummm dirt bike , ya thats it dirt bike

sportsterrific
5th January 2005, 21:51
I showed that clip to some of my non-ridding co-wokers and we all laughed our heads off!
BTW, I didn't see your head coming through the windsheild, so you have no way of proving it was you.

flathead45
5th January 2005, 21:53
oh ya , well I own a white van , and I said it was me so there

Desertfox
5th January 2005, 22:14

Geeze what a howl :laugh I about fell out of my chair laughing.