PDA

View Full Version : mobil 1

beast1
26th August 2005, 02:47
i just switched from dino hd to mobil 1! man that stuff is good !!!

my motor is much quieter!! and its cheap i picked it up at the local walmart

for 4.77! any one else using mobil 1 15-50 gold cap?

is it ok to run in the engine? my bike is an 03 883 w/ 7000 miles.

carl2124
26th August 2005, 02:51
I just went from dyno to syn 3 on my oil change,I like to change mine every 2500 miles,but after reading all the threads on here on oil,I will most likely go to mobil 1 v twin at 5000k mark,hell syn 3 cost me 9.98 a qt at the stealer.....

streeteagle2
26th August 2005, 03:23
At 7K you certainly can use Mobil-1. I have 1500 on mine & plan to switch to Mobil-1 at 2500. So many reasons to use it rather than dino oil. I use it in my car-uses no oil between changes. I'm glad to hear your engine is quieter-looking forward to that! :banana

Moved On
26th August 2005, 03:32
I (and a lot of other folks here) used to use Mobil-1 in the rad cap bottle that they had last year. When they discontinued that and came out with the gold cap they added more detergents and began recommending not to use it in motorcycles. I haven't used it since which sucks because it was a nice running oil at a great price.

Carl, Where are you buying the Mobil-1 V-Twin? It's well over eight bucks every where that I've seen it around here.

I've been using RedLine synthetic from my indie shop. It's about the same price as SYN-3, but I like to support the indie when I can. I also like his oil filters better (K&N) because they have that little bolt head that makes getting them off a snap.

Gazza

xllent01
26th August 2005, 03:38
Stick with the 2500 mile mark, the oil splashed to the
pistons,cylinder walls, and the flywheel components
will still accumulate carbon build up in the oil.

Mobil-1 or not the oil is still pitch dark at 2500 miles.

streeteagle2
26th August 2005, 03:39
What about Mobil-1 20W-50 V-Twin formula?

Moved On
26th August 2005, 03:53
What about Mobil-1 20W-50 V-Twin formula?I think that's great, but I've never used it. It used to be on the shelves at my local auto parts stores but I haven't seen it in a while. Actually I haven't looked since first thing in the spring and they may just have taken it off the shelves for the winter.

Gazza

carl2124
26th August 2005, 04:04
I think that's great, but I've never used it. It used to be on the shelves at my local auto parts stores but I haven't seen it in a while. Actually I haven't looked since first thing in the spring and they may just have taken it off the shelves for the winter.

Gazza
Hey Gary....I saw it at pep boys....20/50 weight v twin....but I did not check the price,my understanding ,correct me if Im wrong,syn 3 is a blend and moble 1 is 100% syn.... which I prefer....I checked into amsoil.....but you have to find a "dealer" to buy it from.

cantolina
26th August 2005, 04:06
I still can't find a place to buy my beloved Redline....

I've been using the Valvoline Synth, and REALLY not impressed....

beast1
26th August 2005, 04:22
do you guys think i should switch to valvolene synth? instead of using mobil 1

gold cap? i actualy almost bought valvolene synth. i like the synthetic but

i cant aford paying 10.00 or so a quart. any other synth recomendations

besides amsoil, royalpurp and redline? those are the ones that are hard to

find in my neck of the woods. :)

SportsterBart
26th August 2005, 04:23
Dang Gary!

Don't you have any mirrors in your house? Your moderating duties are prematurely aging you! Or maybe I should send you my X-mas wish list?

http://www.xlforum.net/forums/customavatars/avatar100_27.gif

Get a haircut at least, hippy! :laugh :roflblack :p

Okay, back on topic: I'll most likely be using Amsoil next time around.

Bart

Swankster
26th August 2005, 04:27
:shhhh I run with Royal Purple and their gear oil in the trans. No problems!!!!!!!:D

txsporty
26th August 2005, 04:41
Check out your Local Hot Rod Place!!!

That's where I found V-Twin Amsoil!!! :clap :clap :clap

They might even get Royal Purple or Red Line for you!!:D

decman
26th August 2005, 04:51
I use the gold cap Mobil1 15w-50. No problems with it.

Remember there is a small difference in the so called v-twin oils
but not enough to warrant the extra $3.

Mobil makes a V-twin also so they will of course tell you
to use that instead of the gold cap... doh!

I also use Napa 15w50 synth at $3.99
Royal Purple can be ordered from Jireh at $5

starbuck
26th August 2005, 07:04
Last month in the Car and Driver, if my memory serves me right, their issue talks about syn oils. It only warned about using the new mobil 1 in motorcycles that run wet clutches and since the harley clutch oil is in the primary and is seperate from the motor oil it should be o.k to use the gold cap new one. I'll have to dig the issue out and see if I can find the article. Well that's my 2 cents. :p

jag1
26th August 2005, 13:11
Amsoil can be shipped to your door in about 3 days. Call George 1-800-887-6698 or mailto:george@oilhelp.com . He's a Harley owner and a great guy to deal with.

Alasportster
26th August 2005, 13:20
Several things:

1) If Mobil, or anyone, for that matter, says NOT to use their oil in a wet clutch, don't use it in the clutch in a Harley, or almost anything else, cause the clutch IS wet. Before you put anything in the primary/clutch/transmission hole on an XL, cause they all share the same fluid, unlike a BT which has three systems, make sure it's approved for use in wet clutches. Simply ask yourself - "If the manufacturer of the oil says to NOT use it in a wet clutch, why would I use it in a wet clutch"?

2) Mobil 1 is legally classified as a synthetic, but the formulation is not the same as it once was, and it's one of the brands that is now actually a highly refined dino. Amsoil, and some others, are "true" synthetics, from PAO, "polyalpha olienated esthers", or whatever, I have to read it to get that one right.

3) Try metric shops, they often have Amsoil.

mordak
26th August 2005, 13:59
Dang Gary!

Don't you have any mirrors in your house? Your moderating duties are prematurely aging you! Or maybe I should send you my X-mas wish list?

http://www.xlforum.net/forums/customavatars/avatar100_27.gif

Get a haircut at least, hippy! :laugh :roflblack :p

Okay, back on topic: I'll most likely be using Amsoil next time around.

Bart
That pic of Gary looks like Photoshop to me. Unless he has fluffy and puffy white hair which I seriously doubt!!! :laugh Still it's funny though. :laugh

mark883
26th August 2005, 14:18
I used red cap M1 15w50 in my engine and HD Syn3 in the primary/clutch/tranny. Engine is quieter, seems to rev quicker and get a bit better mileage. Tranny shifts smoother.

I would not use a synth to try and go for extended oil change intervals... still plan to change at ~2500 miles. Timely Oil CHANGES are what saves an air cooled engine, not the latest greatest oil. With 2500m changes on M1, I'm not saving money (unless compared to running Syn3) but engine runs better. If you truly want to be anal about your oil, you should get an oil analysis done.

Even if you plan on taking your bike to the dealer for the 1k,5k,10k etc service intervals, ANYONE can easily DIY the 2500 mile changes for $20 using HD filter & dino oil, or about $25 using non-HD syn & filter.

grancan1
26th August 2005, 14:53
I have a very good article on oil but it is a pdf file. I do not know how to attach it due to the size of the file. Send me an email if you are interested. It is a pretty indepth article.

decman
26th August 2005, 16:21
Sorry, I should clarify my statement

Yes, I only use the gold cap in the engine.
I use only sportrans or syn3 in the primary.

Remember the orginal post mentioned engine oil only not primary.

BTW I thought it was Castrol that was not a true sythetic
not Mobil1. If anyone has a real info on this please post it.

Thanks
decman
synthetic user for 20 years and 400,000+ miles

beast1
26th August 2005, 23:53
thanks for all the great info!!!

i want to use a synth but i dont want to pay 10.00 qt!! and i want the

ease of picking it up at a in town store !! around here their's walmart and

autozone. or the hd dealer. iguess ill use the m1 gold cap in the motor only

ad sporttrans for the rest. i just dont want the motor to grenade a few years

from now, anyways mebe ill see if i can get mobil 1 v-twin at autozone.

any other ideas?

rmagni
27th August 2005, 00:07
Go to E-bay search for Royal purple there is a guy I believe his screen name is 171K he sells Royal Purple and does not charge shipping, it works out to like 6 bucks a quart.
Robert

blueglide88
27th August 2005, 00:47
You can use Mobil1 15-50. The reason some people mistakenly say you cannot is because of friction modifiers added to the oil. Mobil 1 gold cap has 79 ppm, less than Mobil V-Twin 20-50 which has 90 ppm. But dont take my word for it. Go to Bob is the oil guy for all you want to know about oil. here is a link to Bob's VOA library. That's virgin oil analisys. It has the chemical makeup of a lot of oils. Mobil 1 15-50 is without a doubt one of the best oils you can buy.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/voalibrary.html

starbuck
27th August 2005, 01:54
You can use Mobil1 15-50. The reason some people mistakenly say you cannot is because of friction modifiers added to the oil. Mobil 1 gold cap has 79 ppm, less than Mobil V-Twin 20-50 which has 90 ppm. But dont take my word for it. Go to Bob is the oil guy for all you want to know about oil. here is a link to Bob's VOA library. That's virgin oil analisys. It has the chemical makeup of a lot of oils. Mobil 1 15-50 is without a doubt one of the best oils you can buy.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/voalibrary.html

Awesome site brother thanks for the info. :cool:

o2man98
27th August 2005, 23:10
For those looking for the Mobil 1 RedCap, I know our local Advance Auto still has some. It may be worth checking these places if you have a chance.

Ken

decman
28th August 2005, 00:40
Jireh has Royal Purple at about $5

Go to E-bay search for Royal purple there is a guy I believe his screen name is 171K he sells Royal Purple and does not charge shipping, it works out to like 6 bucks a quart.
Robert

jms969
5th July 2006, 04:42
Several things:

1) If Mobil, or anyone, for that matter, says NOT to use their oil in a wet clutch, don't use it in the clutch in a Harley, or almost anything else, cause the clutch IS wet. Before you put anything in the primary/clutch/transmission hole on an XL, cause they all share the same fluid, unlike a BT which has three systems, make sure it's approved for use in wet clutches. Simply ask yourself - "If the manufacturer of the oil says to NOT use it in a wet clutch, why would I use it in a wet clutch"?

2) Mobil 1 is legally classified as a synthetic, but the formulation is not the same as it once was, and it's one of the brands that is now actually a highly refined dino. Amsoil, and some others, are "true" synthetics, from PAO, "polyalpha olienated esthers", or whatever, I have to read it to get that one right.

3) Try metric shops, they often have Amsoil.

Not sure where you got your information but Mobil 1 is 100% synthetic...

OldFenderGuy
5th July 2006, 05:02
Not sure where you got your information but Mobil 1 is 100% synthetic...

Besides that, Mobil 1 V-Twin has the JASO-MA rating (Amsoil MCV does as well) meaning it does not contain friction modifiers and is perfectly fine to use in a 'wet clutch' system..

In fact, on the back of a bottle of Mobil 1 20W-50 V-Twin that I'm looking at right now it reads (in part);

"Specifically designed for air cooled engines, transmissions, and wet clutch primaries."

Skip the dog
9th July 2006, 14:43
Hi guys, I wonder if anyone can help me, I have been trying to get hold of Mobil 1 20-50 over here in the U.K. for ages can anyone put me in touch with the company. Or Amisoil you seem to like that too. We are pretty much stuck with the H.D. stuff over here which is expensive. I have around 4000 miles on the Buell and just over 17500 on my softail would it be too late to change. I've been running both on H.d. oils upto now.

Kentucky
9th July 2006, 15:02
Besides that, Mobil 1 V-Twin has the JASO-MA rating (Amsoil MCV does as well) meaning it does not contain friction modifiers and is perfectly fine to use in a 'wet clutch' system..

In fact, on the back of a bottle of Mobil 1 20W-50 V-Twin that I'm looking at right now it reads (in part);

"Specifically designed for air cooled engines, transmissions, and wet clutch primaries."

I've used the Mobil 1 15w50 product since it came out and had very good luck with it. I did not however like the way it worked in my primary. The clutch was very mushy at high rpm shifts. I use this same product in my quads and sportbike. In the sportbike it allows the transmission to shift very smoothly and this is a plus for me as the original oil that Yamaha recommended is crap. Some say that using an automotive oil in bikes is not good. I have yet to have 1 mechanical issue that would suggest this and I run the Mobil 1 in 4 bikes as well as 2 cages. Mobil 1 gets my vote for sure...

jms969
10th July 2006, 14:39
Hi guys, I wonder if anyone can help me, I have been trying to get hold of Mobil 1 20-50 over here in the U.K. for ages can anyone put me in touch with the company. Or Amisoil you seem to like that too. We are pretty much stuck with the H.D. stuff over here which is expensive. I have around 4000 miles on the Buell and just over 17500 on my softail would it be too late to change. I've been running both on H.d. oils upto now.

www"dot"mobil1"dot"com

Good luck :banana

Sorry I do not have enough post to post a url yet... But you can figure it out...

sportysrock
15th July 2006, 21:28
i just switched from dino hd to mobil 1! man that stuff is good !!!
my motor is much quieter!! and its cheap i picked it up at the local walmart
for 4.77! any one else using mobil 1 15-50 gold cap?
is it ok to run in the engine? my bike is an 03 883 w/ 7000 miles.

Not a bad price, but is that recommended for MC's and wet clutch use?
No friction modifiers please.