PDA

View Full Version : TRANS/CLUTCH FLUID??

ctshep97
2nd January 2005, 13:50
GETTING READY TO CHANGE THE FLUID AND ASKING WHAT IS EVERYONE RUNNING IN THEIR TRANS/CLUTCH.BEEN RUNNING H/D TRANSPORT FLUID.IS THEIR ANYTHING BETTER OUT THERE? T.

xllent01
2nd January 2005, 13:55
Mobil 1 15w50 auto synthetic which you can buy
anywhere, and it only cost half the price of the
H-D stuff. :yikes

FYI- only put in 28 onces and the trans will run perfect. :shhhh

maddog
2nd January 2005, 14:50
GETTING READY TO CHANGE THE FLUID AND ASKING WHAT IS EVERYONE RUNNING IN THEIR TRANS/CLUTCH.BEEN RUNNING H/D TRANSPORT FLUID.IS THEIR ANYTHING BETTER OUT THERE? T.

I run Mob-1 20/50w in my engine, But I use the Scr Eagle SYN-3 in the tranny. A synthetic is always better in a motor or tranny.

Gyahmers
2nd January 2005, 15:08
I use SYN 3 for both motor and tranny.

benford46
3rd January 2005, 00:39
I just put in Mobil1 red cap 15w50,in motor and trans,have been running
syn3 ,lots of guys in my area run red cap mobil ,harley's and metric's.
Ben in Texas
Xl1200c'03

lexterminator
10th January 2005, 20:57
Same as Maddog,

I use Mobil 1 20w50 for VTwin and HD Syn3 in the tranny.

Didn't feel much difference for the engine oil but shifting is smoother with synthetic oil.

Moved On
10th January 2005, 21:21
I run Mobil1 15w50 in both the engine and the primary. I think that this oil made the tranny shift easier, but I also adjusted my chain tension when I switched over to it, so that may have had more to do with it. I have about 7000 miles on this brand of oil.

Gary

txsporty
10th January 2005, 23:20
Been using HD Syn3 in motor and tranny.. Going to change to Mobil V-twin oil!! :D

willprevale
10th January 2005, 23:26
Been using HD Syn3 in motor and tranny.. Going to change to Mobil V-twin oil!! :D

Don't waste money. It's essentially the same oil as the 15-50. A marketing ploy.

maddog
11th January 2005, 00:07
Same as Maddog,

I use Mobil 1 20w50 for VTwin and HD Syn3 in the tranny.

Didn't feel much difference for the engine oil but shifting is smoother with synthetic oil.

Lex-t...The diff. in the motor can't be felt...but...I "used/burned" less oil (didn't have to top off as much)...Had much less oil puke into the air cleaner...and I have peace of mind when the motor over heats that the oil did not break down. Also, Harley's own tests confirmed that after a 10,000 mi teardown, the motors internals showed little or no wear.
Another unseen benefit is that synthetics inherently have superior cold flow charactaristics and will be flowing through the engine long before the fossil oil will.

txsporty
11th January 2005, 00:10
Don't waste money. It's essentially the same oil as the 15-50. A marketing ploy.

Been told that the Mobil V-twin is better in the Hotter Climates we have here in Texas!! :yikes

the Chopper
12th January 2005, 02:18
hey guys here's the inside scoop. H-D Syn3 is Mobile 1 Syn !!! Made by Mobile for H-D. Remember to only buy a trans/primary fluid designed for wet clutch compatibilty. Been our experience that the best for the money is the Amsoil 20-50 syn for an overall replacement for all fluids both big twin and XL, with a race version available for the trans/pri for the go-fast types...

xllent01
12th January 2005, 02:46
Hey Chop, have you been smoking corn flakes tonight or what?

No way inHELL l is Mobil-1 made for H-D. Talk about
having your wires crossed tonight. Show the forum were
in print Mobil Oil is linked to H-D at all. H-D syn has been
on the market what 2 yrs, since the V-rod first appeared
on the drag strip.
H-D has condemed, up till recently using any kind of syn because of the
BEARINGS WILL SKATE BULLSH$T they had there people so
fooled about syn and now look who has jumped on the band wagon by
selling there own syn for $8.95 quart. Who are they f$#ing
kidding now. :yikes

Winter must be back cause i love a good oil thread.

Moved On
12th January 2005, 02:58
Me thinks Chopper meant that Mobil makes the oil for HD to put into those purty black and orange bottles.

Gary

xllent01
12th January 2005, 03:04
Sounds like a infomercial by a local indy that has a certain website
online.

Moved On
12th January 2005, 03:16
Sounds like a infomercial by a local indy that has a certain website online.Chopper apologized... we ought to give him a little break to see how he behaves.

Gary

Chuck
14th January 2005, 01:57
Mine only took one quart. For only one quart use whatever you feel is the best. I used HD Trany Fluid. It seemed a lot thicker than motor oil.

davidsdad
14th January 2005, 14:57
I use Amsoil V-Twin 20-50 syn. in both the motor and tranny....

Nightboy
15th January 2005, 23:18
AMsoil 20-50 here too in all the holes.

cantolina
15th January 2005, 23:52
Opinions being like a-holes......here's mine...

I use Redline 20w50 in both.....

cantolina
15th January 2005, 23:53
hey guys here's the inside scoop. H-D Syn3 is Mobile 1 Syn !!! Made by Mobile for H-D. Remember to only buy a trans/primary fluid designed for wet clutch compatibilty. Been our experience that the best for the money is the Amsoil 20-50 syn for an overall replacement for all fluids both big twin and XL, with a race version available for the trans/pri for the go-fast types...

Who is "our"?

mountbkr
16th January 2005, 00:02
Actually the oil harley sells is refined by sun oil :shhhh

wolfgang
1st February 2005, 15:07
OK, I changed out the tranny fluid about two weeks ago and replaced with HD tranny fluid and now I'm having some trouble finding neutral. This is the second time I've changed out the tranny fluid, previously used HD tranny fluid, and experienced no problems. I used 1 qt each time. Any idea what's happening here? I've put about 250 miles on since I changed the fluid.

Chuck
1st February 2005, 15:55
Hey Wolfgang, it would help to have your bike in your signature. Then you don't have to remember to list it and we know what you have. You might not have experimented with it yet, it is real easy.

Not sure what you have but on my bike it pays to look at the level of fluid while the cover is off and bike standing upright. They do hold a quart but mine didn't quite take a full qt. going by the full line shown in the manual. To much or to little can make a difference on shifting from what I understand. Also whenever you dump your fluid you should check the clutch adjustment. Did you check that it was adjusted correctly?

LuxBlue
1st February 2005, 17:04
Amsoil 20w-50 for V Twin Motorcycles....I use the same in my engine. 28-30 ounces in tranny....shifts like a dream!

XLFREAK
1st February 2005, 23:01

where does your inside scoop come from?

maddog
2nd February 2005, 00:32
OK, I changed out the tranny fluid about two weeks ago and replaced with HD tranny fluid and now I'm having some trouble finding neutral. This is the second time I've changed out the tranny fluid, previously used HD tranny fluid, and experienced no problems. I used 1 qt each time. Any idea what's happening here? I've put about 250 miles on since I changed the fluid.

Wolfy..Any time I had trouble with neutral I just adjusted the clutch cable freeplay and it solved the problem.

wolfgang
2nd February 2005, 14:48
Maddog:
Thanks, I'll try it this weekend.
Wolfgang

riderCam1957
6th February 2005, 22:18
I use HD 20w-50w every 3k and Sport Trans fluid every 5k. Got over 19,000 trouble free miles and she runs real strong.

Cam

Flamin883
6th February 2005, 22:42
wolfgang, don't jus add 1 full qt, check the level, i've found that mine is on full at 28oz, I think there is a dip/depression in the back of the tranny that prevents you from completely draining all the fluid. so if you added a full qt your probably overfull. get the bike level, pull the derby cover and check.
ridercam what pipes are those?, I really like the look.

riderCam1957
7th February 2005, 04:54
Flamin883 those are D&D pipes: http://www.danddexhaust.com/ click on "whats new" then '04 Harley Sportster 2 into 2 Full System to listen to a sound clip.

Cam
04 1200C

mikeLI_77
25th March 2005, 12:03
I just got my oil changed at the indy. I see alot of people here using 20w50 in there tranny. My indy put in amsoil 10w40 into the tranny and amsoil 20w50 synthetic in the engine. Is the 10w40 in the tranny good? It didn't seem to do anything differently when bringing it home until i had to drive it up the 1" step i have to get into the shed. then it sounded like it was lugging. which i have never done before.

socal1200c
25th March 2005, 15:10
Syn3 in both here

BobbyB
26th March 2005, 01:51
Mikeli, The 10w-40 is approx. the same viscosity as the Sportrans fluid. Personally I like the 20w-50 better and 75w-90 best. There is no way the 10w-40 in the tranny can cause lugging.
Bobby

mikeLI_77
26th March 2005, 19:06
Mikeli, The 10w-40 is approx. the same viscosity as the Sportrans fluid. Personally I like the 20w-50 better and 75w-90 best. There is no way the 10w-40 in the tranny can cause lugging.
Bobby

Thanks for the reply. I figured out why the bike was running funny. I washed the bike just before putting it into the shed. I blew it off like i usually do and i must have gotten water into the coil because after getting into the shed it started shooting fire balls out of the front pipe. So i turned it off and came back the next day and it was fine. I asked the indy about it and he told me it was probably either arching or missing because i wet the coil.

bullittt
5th April 2005, 14:46
i know this sounds alot like an info commercial but this seems to give a pretty good over view of the amsoil 20-50 AMV ...............seems easy to just use one for both holes and not make a mistake.
http://www.stokesabode.com/amsoil/Prod-info/4-Stroke-Motor-Oil/AMSOIL-20w-50-Motorcycle-Racing-Oil.htm

anything to keep it simple!....and good!