PDA

View Full Version : 04 Tranny tragedy..

hero
2nd January 2005, 17:34
Well gang, the unthinkable has just happened. The MOCO's so-called 'bulletproof' '04 tranny of mine has just failed. I was just riding around town with my girlfriend on the back, not gunning it or showing off, nothing, when suddenly shifting to 2nd from 1st....nothing.... Just stays in neutral. Shifts back down to 1st no problem, but 2nd (& ALL the other gears too) seems elusive. So I had to ride home (approx 5-6 miles) in 1st!

Now I just :censor HATE being the 'guinnea pig' for this experiment, but there it is. All those talks of no more trapdoor, but don't worry about it crap has just come back & bit me in the a$$..! Complete motor teardown, here we come, will it ever be the same again?

barry1967
2nd January 2005, 18:15
That blows. It's time to see how well the service guys are at your dealer. Best of luck.

wickedsprint
2nd January 2005, 18:28
It was my understandig the trans was the same as the 03s save for some different shift forks or something to improve feel. I still think they should have figured out a way to keep the trap door, that move they did was definitely backwards, I hope your bike runs the same afterwards.

AdO650
2nd January 2005, 18:42
An' I thought it was just me with the tranny probs, if they've done away with the trapdoor then I'm glad I didn't get a new bike.

Anyway It's the best of British I'm sending ya and I hope you get it fixed pronto. :tour

hero
2nd January 2005, 19:04
Thanks for the wishes AD0650, not much I can do about it now, just gotta wait for the morning.

Barry, that's EXACTLY what I'm afraid of! Iv'e had some recent history with the service dept at the dealer, & they literally are a bunch of monkeys...like secretly captured surveillance footage shows: http://tinypic.com/15im0w

Anyways, hope they don't drop the ball on this one.

maddog
2nd January 2005, 19:07
Thanks for the wishes AD0650, not much I can do about it now, just gotta wait for the morning.

Barry, that's EXACTLY what I'm afraid of! Iv'e had some recent history with the service dept at the dealer, & they literally are a bunch of monkeys...like secretly captured surveillance footage shows: http://tinypic.com/15im0w

Anyways, hope they don't drop the ball on this one.

HA HA HA HA ....................

txsporty
2nd January 2005, 19:10
hero

Is it Not still under Warranty??? :yikes

hero
2nd January 2005, 19:29
Yes it is TX. But I just don't like the idea of the motors insides laid bare at just over 6000 miles... Concerns me a bit that had this happened this time NEXT year, I'd have to pay the bill. If it happened to me it can happen to anyone else out there in the future too, whose bike may NOT be under warranty at the time. Hope this is a one-off...

txsporty
2nd January 2005, 19:36
Yes it is TX. But I just don't like the idea of the motors insides laid bare at just over 6000 miles... Concerns me a bit that had this happened this time NEXT year, I'd have to pay the bill. If it happened to me it can happen to anyone else out there in the future too, whose bike may NOT be under warranty at the time. Hope this is a one-off...

I know what you mean!!! Damn Shame!!!

Still Don't know way the MOCO would Change a Great Tranny Design???

Hopefully it's just a one time thing, Shame it had to be your One Time!!! :yikes

XLFREAK
2nd January 2005, 20:06
I wonder how many 04 bikes with miliage in excess of 6000 , are still ok??
I've got 4000 on mine and am concerned...........

Speedy818
2nd January 2005, 20:38
I have the same problem every now and then. I'll shift into neutral, as if pulling up to a stoplight, and then traffic starts going, and I'll want to be in 2nd. The bike won't shift into second. Sometimes fully disengaging the clutch, then re-engaging it works - not always. What does work is holding the shift lever up all the way (not letting go), until the clutch lever's all the way out. I'd take it in to have it looked at, but I'm sure they'd have to pull the whole motor and who knows what would happen to the whole thing then.

Speedy
Chicago
2004 XL1200R

xl1200r
2nd January 2005, 21:32
It's probably just a problem with those export models...

hero
2nd January 2005, 22:11
It's probably just a problem with those export models...

Yeah, better remember to take your passport next time you visit Chicago, xl1200r.. :smoke

nc5p
2nd January 2005, 22:45
10,000 miles and no tranny problems so far. Only a broken clutch cable which they replaced for free.

Doug
2004 883>1200 Custom

Stephen Hawk
3rd January 2005, 01:57
5,500 on a 2004 XL Roadster and zero problems.......................

flathead45
3rd January 2005, 02:02
might just be a bent fork or broken spring , hope its good news

crackers
3rd January 2005, 07:00
13,000kms and a leaking starter motor gasket...twice.

hasnt been fixed for the second time yet, not as bad as the first time.

i occasionally miss going into second, but always get it the next time.

cheers
crackers

mountbkr
3rd January 2005, 09:20
Don't everyone jump to conclusons here ... JRA WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
JUST RIDING ALONG AND BOOM... IT REALLY COULD BE SOMETHING SIMPLE ..

hero
3rd January 2005, 10:28
Yeah it probably IS something simple, people, but to GET to it, ...that's the problem...There is no access to the shift mechamism without dissasembly. Anyway, tried to get hold of the dealer today but doesn't look like they are staffed on this public holiday. :eek:

I hear what some of you are saying about occasionally missing 2nd, but that is normal. My problem is definately something much worse- I cannot pass over neutral AT ALL. (Shifter feels solid, like it does when you reach 5th & try shift into imaginary 6th).

Will keep you posted.

wickedsprint
3rd January 2005, 15:03
This is likely not your problem, but I had a similar problem on my dirtbike once..turned out the shifter was interfering with something JUST enough to cause the spring return to not work perfectly..which would cause an incomplete shift..as a result bike would only go between 1st and 2nd and never out of third..check the simple stuff first. I ended up having to grind about 2mm off the front padd and that fixed the problem.

Lostwheel
3rd January 2005, 16:07
Just hit almost 9,000 on mine,no problems at all.

Bikerdude
6th January 2005, 14:25
.......ONE more reason I love this ole' ironhead....I just do NOT have any problems...

BlackSkull883
6th January 2005, 16:26
I've got 6500 "hard" miles on my 04 and haven't had one problem with it - no leaks, noises, broken things etc... :clap

hero
6th January 2005, 19:21
OK good news- Got the bike back today & it's fixed! Turns out the gears are fine, it was just one of the return springs on the shifter fork (that keep the 'claws' in contact with the selector drum) popped off. So you could shift in one direction, but not the other... So no teardown neccesary. BEST news I've had all year. :p

Back on the road ! :tour

PS: Not sure how this turned into a 'how many miles have YOU got?' thread. :frownthre ... Identical problems occur on vehicles old & new, irrespective of mileage.

AdO650
6th January 2005, 19:32
Glad to hear it hero my man, you'll know what to look for next time.

If there is a next time :shhhh

txsporty
6th January 2005, 19:40
Hero

Good for You!!! :clap :clap :clap

:D

wickedsprint
7th January 2005, 16:21
It wa smy understanding the shift drum and forks are inside the actual transmission like every other trans I have seen...how did they accomplish this job without tearing your motor down?

flathead45
7th January 2005, 16:31
god I'm good , look back on page two and you'll see that was my guess

glad it was only that , well we gotta wait a little longer to see how a trannie job goes I guess

hero
7th January 2005, 17:38
Yup, looks like you nailed it this time Flathead.

Wickedsprint, it's not ON the actual shift forks, but on the ratcheting mechanism that operates on the part of the shift drum that protrudes on the OUTSIDE of the casing. If you look in the manual (if you have one) you'll see it.

wickedsprint
7th January 2005, 20:32
Ahhh ok..thank goodness for you then :)