PDA

View Full Version : 74 XLH top end

74FeHeadXLH
2nd January 2005, 20:17
I'm wondering what the best way to go for power/perf gains without turnin it into a race bike, new heads, have the ones on it reworked. Are there top end options I havent seen in the catalogs, I have'nt noticed a 1200 conv. kit for Ironheads

flathead45
2nd January 2005, 20:23
look for an old "thunderhead" kit , their hard to find now a days but were killer in their day . I think they were an after market xr clone

or you can have the heads ported and polished then have the deck milled a bit , that alone will give some good HP numbers

74FeHeadXLH
2nd January 2005, 20:31
Thanx man, kinda what I was thinkin, port - polish , milling (but how many thousanths would be too mch for stock pistons) don't want to get into the lower end before I need to. Where would I start to look for the thunderhead kit these days ?

flathead45
2nd January 2005, 20:35
thunderheads? good question , thats one you'd just have to ask around till some one knew someone who met someone who lived with someone who worked with someone who's brother had a set that they sold to someeone

as far as milling , talk to the machinist he can help you more than my guess would

HrdlyDangrs
2nd January 2005, 20:38
How deep are your pockets?? You can go S&S Stroker kit, Axtell Jugs, Weiseco pistons, PROFFESIONALLY done valve job with porting....Nice set of Andrews or Sifton Cams...Lifters, Pushrods.....Upgrade to an S&S or other carb, REAL HP Pipes...NOT JUST OPEN DRAG PIPES...Barnett Clutch kit, you name it....lots of stuff available to make that Ironhead haul ass!!
Figure your stock 74 XLH is 1000cc already....you can easily upgrade the barrells to 74+ cubes on up....Money well spent. You can have your OEM heads modified...just make sure its with someone with a good reputation cause a bad port/polish/valve job will make or break any other work you put into the motor. Do your homework on this one!!
One of the easiest things you can do to gain useful H.P is to lighten-up the bike...most times it doesn't cost any money. the 74 Sportster motor is the best of the Ironheads....the original 1974 barrells and bottom ends are stronger then the previous years. Hrdly

74FeHeadXLH
2nd January 2005, 20:44
Yea know what ya mean someone who knows someone who knew someone who might know someone who has a brother who remembers what they look like (he thinks). But I appreciate the tip , now I hav a "name" I can go with to R.C. at the local chop shop, he helped me get several hard to find pieces for my 53 (thunderhead...right?). Got any exp. with putting one of those "bobtail" rear fender kits on an old sporty?........Mike

HrdlyDangrs
2nd January 2005, 20:45
Hey flathead45...your fast on those keys....
:bump

flathead45
2nd January 2005, 20:47
I did a google of thunderheads and found nothing just a bounch of clouds

the search for thunderheads would be exausting to say the least, hrdly gave you some good pointers
there is no secret one part that will give you tons of power , everything must work together , but in all my research over the years the first step sould be cleaning up the heads. then any thing you do after will give you better resolts

of course I'm talking post stage one , and not many ironheads are still in stage one

flathead45
2nd January 2005, 20:52
I put a fat bob on my bike but I needed to use fatbob struts to mount it cause the fender is wider

Hey flathead45...your fast on those keys....
not bad for just using my left hand ,and two fingers :laugh

HrdlyDangrs
2nd January 2005, 20:53
I seem to remember that someone was selling a set of Thunderheads on E'bay over the Summer...There were a bunch of bids and they went for a lot of money!!
Hey flathead45...didn't Fuelin make a set of 4-Valve heads for the Ironhead Sporty too?? Are they still in business?? hrdly

74FeHeadXLH
2nd January 2005, 20:53
Thats my delemma I'm not exactly sure what work has been done. It has been conv. to elec ign , super-E carb , drag pipes , and does run pretty damned strong as it is.

flathead45
2nd January 2005, 21:15
I'm not sure of the 4 valve heads , but fuelin is still alive and strong and they have their own bike out now , its the feuling w3 which is a 3 cylender harley based engine
http://motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/W3-studioR-md.jpg

74FeHeadXLH
2nd January 2005, 21:18
I've seen that bike down in Daytona earlier this year and in a couple mag's. How much are they goin for , would be a unique piece to have....Mike

flathead45
2nd January 2005, 21:21
I was just reading up on this monster and it said that this bike beat the hyabusa in the quarter mile by a full tenth of a second that makes it the worlds fastest prodution bike

HrdlyDangrs
2nd January 2005, 21:22
Thats my delemma I'm not exactly sure what work has been done. It has been conv. to elec ign , super-E carb , drag pipes , and does run pretty damned strong as it is.

Unfortunely unless you have receipts or documentation from the previous owners, there's no way to tell what you have until you open it up. You could possibly already have some headwork done to the stock heads.
Your choice then is to run the bike as it is until you wear out the motor or say the hell with it, I'm rebuilding it to my own specs. Hrdly

flathead45
2nd January 2005, 21:22
doesn't give a price that I can find

74FeHeadXLH
3rd January 2005, 23:03
Any of you guys know if Thunderheader makes a 2 into 1 to fit a 74XLH ?

flathead45
3rd January 2005, 23:36
pipes for fe's are vary limited , nobodys making much of anything for them but I'll see what I can find

HrdlyDangrs
4th January 2005, 00:03
Any of you guys know if Thunderheader makes a 2 into 1 to fit a 74XLH ?

I don't see the Ironheads listed on the their website. They do however make them for the Bt Shovelhead....Try calling or sending a e'mail to them and ask if they offer them on a specialty built basis. I mean, the Sportster Ironheads exhaust pipes only have a slit and expanded end to slip over the heads exhaust spigot. How hard would it be for them to make you a set. Can't hurt to ask. Their in stock pipes for EVO Sporties are listed at $499.00

Sporty Specialties makes a nice 2-1 Iron head exhaust system $399.00. Check out their website. Hrdly

flathead45
4th January 2005, 00:28
thanks hrdly , I forgot to look (must be gettin old)

74FeHeadXLH
4th January 2005, 03:43
Thanx Hrdly and Flathead both of ya have helped alot so far...lotsa good info...I had a softail std back in 97 for a short time and it had a thunderheader on it , very nice setup , but I'll look into sporty specialties (website huh) I like the $$ rather than thdrhdr custom makin 'em...that would probably be even more $$...but I liked the thdrhdr alot ,I'll look into that....you may be right, from a production standpoint, it would cost less to swage 2 pipe ends and cut 2 slots , than to weld 2 flanges on.....but what do I know, worth lookin imto though......thx again....Mike

74FeHeadXLH
4th January 2005, 17:34
Any of you iron guys interested, Clint from StainlessCreations is looking into making a set 2into 1 pipes for irnheads, however they do now make a couple of types of 2into2's straight pipes. He said he would get back to me today on that, since I asked about baffling and tech stuff like that, plus he said there a couple of clearence issues he and R@D has to look into (kicker, rear pegs, etc.) Polished stainless would look really kool, but high $$$.......Mike

Desertfox
4th January 2005, 19:18
[QUOTE=flathead45]I was just reading up on this monster and it said that this bike beat the hyabusa in the quarter mile by a full tenth of a second that makes it the worlds fastest prodution bike[/QUOTE

Oh you were SERIUOS about that bike :yikes I thought you did it with Adobe. Looks like the engine was cut from a Pratt&Whitney radial. :eek:

flathead45
4th January 2005, 19:28
yes I was , its called a W3 FEULIN and it uses stock castings for heads and barrels , the crank is a wierd try Y shape kinda like a three pointed fork , they usta have a sound bite on the net but I can't find it any more , it sounded kool not unlike a twin but not quite like a twin more like a small block chevy

Desertfox
4th January 2005, 19:50
Looks like it would sound more like an F4 Corsair :o

74FeHeadXLH
5th January 2005, 04:09
I e-mailed StainlessCreations , they make some radical S.S. pipes, and asked Clint if they are doing anything for Feheads, he said they've made several sets but only 2into 2 so far , that he would get with his guys , and see what they can come up w/ on a 2 into 1 setup , I'm anxious to see , he did say they've gotten a bunchof inquiries like mine.....so who knows man maybe a new pipe option for Fe's.......Mike