PDA

View Full Version : Rubbermount_EFI exhaust port color? 1 white, 1 black

krono
28th September 2011, 06:18
well, today, solving a exhaust leak, I took apart the exhaust system:

look what I found,

this is my rear port
http://i.imgur.com/cx1bi.jpg

this is my front port (yes, I have the rocker box leak)
http://i.imgur.com/estht.jpg

what is wrong? they should look like that?

front seems to be full of carbon, and rear like porcelain...

rear too lean?

front too rich?

bike: XL1200C 2008, SE A/C, S/E II mufflers, PCIII usb + canned map

thanks for the help

hope I can put this back together, first time I attack the exhaust :banadanc
http://i.imgur.com/cXT8K.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/4Vp89.jpg

~Grind~
28th September 2011, 06:48
Leaking valve guide seal?

krono
28th September 2011, 07:33
Leaking valve guide seal?

ugly crap, that sounds serious! :yikes

you refer to the front one right? the one that looks black inside?

please explain more...

the bike does not "smoke", nor does send blue smoke or something like that ...

my theory: the front one is black because the oil that leaks from above (rocker box covers) is a lot, and is entering there too, oil is everywhere in the front ... I purchased the Cometic Gaskets but I forgot them like 500 km from here, I must go to pick them up and solve the leak...

dr.feltersnatch
28th September 2011, 08:10
Looks like you may be burning some oil. Have you pulled the plugs? How do they look?

bitpusher
28th September 2011, 08:39
even with the most egregious exhaust leak i find it hard to imagine that enough, if any at all, oil from a rocker box leak could find its way into your exhaust port to cause that.

but what do i know?

krono
28th September 2011, 09:12
you are scaring me :O :O

the bike does keep its oil level , like the oil level in the tank does not go down

also does not send black or blue smoke from the pipes, even passed the emissions test like 1 month ago

how can I test if it is a oil leak?

maybe is the mixture too rich? I have a PCIII usb installed with a map that is a little rich...

I was thinking, when I posted the pictures that the port with problems was the white one :O (like too lean)

~Grind~
28th September 2011, 09:29
Looks like you may be burning some oil. Have you pulled the plugs? How do they look?

+1

Check out this link: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=1198357

You might want to do a compression check and a leak down test to determine if you might have a ring sealing problem or a valve guide seal leaking.

From what I understand if your rings are leaking you should have oil coating the whole end of the plug. If the end of the plug has an oil residue on one side of it, you might have an intake valve guide seal leak. If its the intake side the leaking oil would most likely be burnt up in the combustion process but still leave some oil residue on one side of the plug (intake side). If its an exhaust valve guide seal then I would think that only some of the oil would possibly burn and the rest would go out the exhaust port. These are my conclusions based the research I did in trying to solve my problem. Your problem may be entirely different. I'm sure others with more experience will chime in on this one. Good luck!

dr.feltersnatch
28th September 2011, 09:30
even with the most egregious exhaust leak i find it hard to imagine that enough, if any at all, oil from a rocker box leak could find its way into your exhaust port to cause that.

but what do i know?
at first I thought that too but the more I look at the pics I think its two seperate issues. I think the oil is dripping down not burning through the exhaust. At first I thought its burning oil but it wouldn't pool at the top like that Ne it would smoke. Now why is one cyl burning rich one lean? I don't know.

dr.feltersnatch
28th September 2011, 09:34
Krono what maps are you running? Did you change anything?

~Grind~
28th September 2011, 09:41
I would just like to add if the problem is a leaking valve guide seal I wouldn't worry too much about it if you're not using much oil or fouling your plugs and its running good. Ride it until you're ready to upgrade the motor. Just my 2 cents. :)

dr.feltersnatch
28th September 2011, 10:14
I assumed on the black pic up on the pic is up on the bike is that correct? When you pulled your plugs was the one all black and oily?

krono
28th September 2011, 19:29
the photos are in the normal position, up in the photo is up in real world, they are not rotated

when I first pulled the plugs, they were "normal", I mean:
ceramic thingy in center white
ring in a coffee color
ground metallic color
and totally dry

then, I put the oil inside the holes, started the engine, killed it, and started to take out the exhaust, but never checked the plugs again....

any help is really welcome

TP_Wade
29th September 2011, 17:45
Rear cyl is lean front may be a tad rich. no way to really tell what you Air/Fuel Ratio is unless you hook it up to a dyno. but i'd say ad some fuel on you map on the rear cyl where you normally cruise at. you should see it change colors over time... the rear cyl needs to be fatter(rich) that the front. because the rear cyl does not have as much air getting to it as the front