PDA

View Full Version : Which shocks to get I'm lost??

07custom
28th September 2011, 11:45
Here's my dilemma..I have a 07custom sporty that I have recently added a spring seat. Now I'm up an inch at most in seat height. I had a brawler seat before and it sat at a nice height. I'm thinking of a lowering kit (1" one are these things safe can they handle the extra weight of a passenger??). Or some progressive 11" shocks either heavy duty or standard. I sometimes ride 2 up and progressives seem confusing at this point. I'm about 178lbs partners bout 150 give or take. RK shocks lowest go 12" I think i would have to add lowering blocks to that to get it down to 11". Think my standard shocks are 11 3/4". Again i was thinking of sliding the forks up to compensate the rear. Read dozens of posts here and all of this is like scrambled eggs :doh to me now haha.

jharback
28th September 2011, 12:10
11 inch shocks have very little travel. I'd go with struts before I went with 11 inch shocks. Lowering kits do work but, again 11 inches gives no travel. Just go with struts.

Folkie
28th September 2011, 21:20
This makes no sense to me. Your seat is at a nice height. You change it for a seat that's 1" higher, then want to put shorter shocks on to get the seat back to the same height. You'll have less suspension travel, less lean angle, and a rough ride. Is the spring seat worth that?

Lowering the forks does little to lower the seat, since the seat is much nearer the rear wheel than the front wheel.

Charles:
28th September 2011, 21:29
How bout you take the springs off the seat, put some rubber bump stops in their place and pretty much have the seat resting on the frame rails.

lfvc77
28th September 2011, 23:41
This is the never ending dilemma of what people prefer, function over form or the other way.

Seems to me you favor looks so my suggestion is go with 10'' shocks or rigid struts and deal with the crappy ride quality.

sporty4t8
29th September 2011, 02:19
I'm in the same dilemma right now...I'm considering getting lowering blocks for my 12" road glide shocks to drop the fender a bit closer to the wheel and get that "slammed" look (which I'll never really get because I'm not willing to go 10 or 11" shocks or struts). I also like the stock seat's look, but now that I've go so many miles on my mustang tripper solo I can't go back to stock (the mustang is soooo comfy). Plus the mustang moves me back a couple inches...just wish I could combine the two (move back and get lower). I've got a few ideas for winter that I will be trying, but I can speak to the road king air shocks, they make my 48 ride like a caddy....

jharback
29th September 2011, 11:43
This makes no sense to me. Your seat is at a nice height. You change it for a seat that's 1" higher, then want to put shorter shocks on to get the seat back to the same height. You'll have less suspension travel, less lean angle, and a rough ride. Is the spring seat worth that?

Lowering the forks does little to lower the seat, since the seat is much nearer the rear wheel than the front wheel.

Agreed!!!

What are you looking for? More comfort or style?

If your going to be riding 2 up a lot you don't want 11" shocks or struts, at least your passenger sure as hell doesn't.

darkdesign
29th September 2011, 11:59
just put bump stops on the spring seat, leave the shocks alone. Spring seat with any visible shock looks weird, struts are bad for your kidneys unless you only want to roll to the bar. Which is bad for your liver. No one ever said fashion was comfortable.

S Ruger
29th September 2011, 13:03
unless you only want to roll to the bar. Which is bad for your liver.

Bwahahahahaha.

:banadanc

07custom
30th September 2011, 13:25

Now i have to go into detail for you now folkie.. Brawler seat had nice height yes but where it mounts to tank the stupid front of the seat slides left to right in front mounting. Bad design on the part of HD. Lets face it Folkie standard custom sporty shocks suck. Quote you state lowering forks don't help. But I say will help level out if I go to 11" progressives isn't that right? The issue here is not looks at all but to have my feet firmly planted on the ground. I'm 5'5 not the tallest person here and I'm well under 200lbs. I thank you for trying to help out but you missing the finer details here. Besides I like the way spring seats look that's why I brought one:p

Folkie
30th September 2011, 13:43
Now i have to go into detail for you now folkie.. Brawler seat had nice height yes but where it mounts to tank the stupid front of the seat slides left to right in front mounting. Bad design on the part of HD. Lets face it Folkie standard custom sporty shocks suck. Quote you state lowering forks don't help. But I say will help level out if I go to 11" progressives isn't that right? The issue here is not looks at all but to have my feet firmly planted on the ground. I'm 5'5 not the tallest person here and I'm well under 200lbs. I thank you for trying to help out but you missing the finer details here. Besides I like the way spring seats look that's why I brought one:p
What 'finer points' did I miss?

Yes that is a well known and long standing problem with the Brawler. I had that problem with one several years ago, and posted about my fix for it. Personally I think that the Brawler is a poor quality seat, and not really worth fixing. That's a reason to get a different seat; not necessarily to get a higher seat that will give you more of a problem having your 'feet firmly planted on the ground'.

Lowering the front may help level the bike out, but will do little for the seat height. Lowering the front by 1" will lower the seat about ¼". It will affect the ride, and make the shocks work even less well than before.

'Standard Custom Sporty shocks suck', you say? Maybe, but you're not going to improve the ride, or the lean angle, by going to shorter shocks.

If you want to lower the bike, not for looks, but to be able to reach the ground safely, what sense does it make to put a higher seat on which makes that more of a problem?

JMO, and you do what you like (obviously), just saying that it makes no sense to me.

07custom
30th September 2011, 14:15
What 'finer points' did I miss?

Yes that is a well known and long standing problem with the Brawler. I had that problem with one several years ago, and posted about my fix for it. Personally I think that the Brawler is a poor quality seat, and not really worth fixing. That's a reason to get a different seat; not necessarily to get a higher seat that will give you more of a problem having your 'feet firmly planted on the ground'.

Lowering the front may help level the bike out, but will do little for the seat height. Lowering the front by 1" will lower the seat about ¼". It will affect the ride, and make the shocks work even less well than before.

'Standard Custom Sporty shocks suck', you say? Maybe, but you're not going to improve the ride, or the lean angle, by going to shorter shocks.

If you want to lower the bike, not for looks, but to be able to reach the ground safely, what sense does it make to put a higher seat on which makes that more of a problem?

JMO, and you do what you like (obviously), just saying that it makes no sense to me.
Here's the deal spring seat stays on bike. Now the finer points are that the bike needs to come down to suit haha. Now what shocks are we going for? Struts I don't like. I'm not sure on lowering blocks (what's your wealth of knowledge there?) Bumper mounts are not possible because of box under seat.

Folkie
30th September 2011, 14:47
I tried various 11" shocks, and ended up going back to shocks of a similar length to the stock Custom shocks (Öhlins: very good).

Lowering blocks will allow you to use longer shocks which have more travel, but more travel may mean that hard parts hit each other, or that the tyre rubs the fender or wiring. If you go this route, check the clearance by sitting on the bike with only one shock on so that the suspension fully compresses.

07custom
30th September 2011, 14:56
Thanks for your input Folkie.

ColinB
30th September 2011, 15:03

I rather think you left out the finer detail by not mentioning the 5'5" part in your original post - IMHO of course.

I'm 5'8" and 144lbs - but I have short legs so 'should' be about 5'6" if I was in proportion. I wanted my 883R a bit lower so I phoned up Hagon (http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk) and they put together a set of shocks from their 28/10 range to suit my weight and be ~3/4" lower. I then lowered the front by ½" to help with steering geometry. Though as Folkie says - lowering the front has little seat height effect.

You might consider the same route.

lfvc77
30th September 2011, 16:31
Here's the deal spring seat stays on bike. Now the finer points are that the bike needs to come down to suit haha. Now what shocks are we going for? Struts I don't like. I'm not sure on lowering blocks (what's your wealth of knowledge there?) Bumper mounts are not possible because of box under seat.
Like I said before 10" shocks. Try lower profile tires, swap the 21" rim for a 19". Herman Monster boots also are a thing to consider.

jharback
30th September 2011, 16:37
Like I said before 10" shocks. Try lower profile tires, swap the 21" rim for a 19". Herman Monster boots also are a thing to consider.

He wants to do 2 up riding. How much 2 up riding have you done with 10" shocks? :doh

lfvc77
30th September 2011, 20:40
like I said before 07custom will have to deal with the crappy ride quality of his choice of set up. The thing is he is a short legged fellow that wants to keep his tall seat, lower his bike and do two up, no way he will nail a comfy ride

roadie996
30th September 2011, 20:40
I have progressive 412 10.5" shocks with lowering brackets on my bike. Been running them for about a year and a half now. They are awesome, but you definitely don't get much travel out of them. I run them on 3/5 stiffness setting for shows and city cruising, and 4/5 or 5/5 stiffness for longer rides. I definitely would NOT recommend riding 2 up on 10,10.5, or 11 inch shocks. You'll bottom out for sure on nice size, unavoidable bumps and holes.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/Roadie736/9b4e85e3.jpg

Charles:
30th September 2011, 21:29
You know what...just hard tail it. The spring seat will actually look good AND be about 2 inches lower. :)

07custom
30th September 2011, 23:31
I have progressive 412 10.5" shocks with lowering brackets on my bike. Been running them for about a year and a half now. They are awesome, but you definitely don't get much travel out of them. I run them on 3/5 stiffness setting for shows and city cruising, and 4/5 or 5/5 stiffness for longer rides. I definitely would NOT recommend riding 2 up on 10,10.5, or 11 inch shocks. You'll bottom out for sure on nice size, unavoidable bumps and holes.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/Roadie736/9b4e85e3.jpg Nice ride you have. Even with standard shock set up two up riding over a decent bump bottoms out. I'm not even that heavy as well as the partner. So I may have to keep her off the bike lol :shhhh

jcasella
1st October 2011, 01:39
:dohNow i have to go into detail for you now folkie.. Brawler seat had nice height yes but where it mounts to tank the stupid front of the seat slides left to right in front mounting. Bad design on the part of HD. Lets face it Folkie standard custom sporty shocks suck. Quote you state lowering forks don't help. But I say will help level out if I go to 11" progressives isn't that right? The issue here is not looks at all but to have my feet firmly planted on the ground. I'm 5'5 not the tallest person here and I'm well under 200lbs. I thank you for trying to help out but you missing the finer details here. Besides I like the way spring seats look that's why I brought one:p
Bro, I'm a couple shorter than you and I have replaced the brawler on my roadster with a mustang vintage solo. Higher seat and 13" shocks, plenty of foot on ground, read: not flat footed. Try getting used to it, I think you'll lose too much travel. The roadster handles better than most sports because of the longer travel. Just saying, give it some time, i'm used to driving bikes to tall, most are :rolleyes:

07custom
16th October 2011, 05:01
Well I would like to thank everyone on this forum. The wealth of info on here has helped me modify my once bland sporty to somethink that has put a smile on me dial. The feelings like the first time I brought it brand new from the stealer. All the little mods on me scoot was from ideas from this forum:banana, with good how to do simple mods without taking the scoot to the shop. I've just installed my new progressive 11" 412 covered shocks. My feet are flat on the ground again:smoke. I have a set of progressive lowering springs on my bench and will soon go into the forks. Was kinda wondering should I lower it 1 or 2 inches? I'm pretty sure the new shocks dropped her at least an inch. This forum is like sliced bread! http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/me_sporty.jpg

kurtz
20th October 2012, 18:53
Well I would like to thank everyone on this forum. The wealth of info on here has helped me modify my once bland sporty to somethink that has put a smile on me dial. The feelings like the first time I brought it brand new from the stealer. All the little mods on me scoot was from ideas from this forum:banana, with good how to do simple mods without taking the scoot to the shop. I've just installed my new progressive 11" 412 covered shocks. My feet are flat on the ground again:smoke. I have a set of progressive lowering springs on my bench and will soon go into the forks. Was kinda wondering should I lower it 1 or 2 inches? I'm pretty sure the new shocks dropped her at least an inch. This forum is like sliced bread! http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/me_sporty.jpg+

Thats a nice looking bike..

K Model
21st October 2012, 18:11
Call Works Performance: he will ask you 100 questions and then build the shocks for your intended purpose.