PDA

View Full Version : Ironhead cheap clutch compression tool

ironowner
3rd October 2011, 21:37
http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc502/ironowner/harley/DSCF0001.jpg

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc502/ironowner/harley/image_836.jpg

bought a set of three (3", 4" and 6") pulley pullers at harbor freight for $19.00 perfect for the 1971-E1984 ironhead clutches...save a lot of dough! :banadanc

BuckIRyder
3rd October 2011, 22:42
Harbor Freight has its moments, not high end but serves a purpose.

GA_Ironhead
3rd October 2011, 22:58
Cheap. Import.

Say no more (please).

ezmerf
4th October 2011, 00:15
Check the red stickies at top of pg for homemade tools alot of info there.

ironowner
4th October 2011, 00:34
Cheap. Import.

Say no more (please).

if it makes you feel better to pay $100 and up for an iron bar with three holes in it just to compress a spring, be my guest. do you think they are german engineered and made in switzerland?

Wooley
4th October 2011, 03:55
where'd the videos go?

ironowner
4th October 2011, 03:57
click on the orange bar at the top...they are just photos, i don't know why it says they're videos...

asasial
4th October 2011, 04:04
you can build one of the bar types for about $15.
all you need is the bar, 1/4 all thread, 3/8 tubing, 1/4 nuts, 1/2 all thread, and a 1/2 nut
pullers work great until it slides off and flys across the room with enough force to put a nice large dent in the metal siding on the garage. been there done that, I'll use the bar type.

ironowner
4th October 2011, 04:11
this thing worked great and felt solid. took about an hour and a half to rebuild and take her for a spin, but i went into the job with a healthy respect for the clutch springs so i get your point. i don't have a shop or drill press and i just seen a lot of people in the forum looking for the tools, so i thought i'd share the info.

asasial
4th October 2011, 04:15
It's cool just be careful and make sure it is on there really good before you start cranking on it, those spring pack one hell of a wallop.

ironowner
4th October 2011, 04:17
all sphincters were clinched tightly brother! you couldn't have pulled a greasy string outta my ass with a john deer tractor...

GA_Ironhead
4th October 2011, 13:24
if it makes you feel better to pay $100 and up for an iron bar with three holes in it just to compress a spring, be my guest. do you think they are german engineered and made in switzerland?

You misunderstood, which is understandable based on my brevity. Suffering from maltuition, HF is one of my favorite stores for tools of late, now that we have one locally. I buy items there, fully aware of the potential for quality/longgevity issues. I just bought the $10 torque wrench -- now I see its dropped to $9. That dollar could have gotten me the pack of gum I've had my eye on... Ultimately what I was alluding to was agreement with BuckIRyder and hoping that we wouldn't start another "which country has the worst reputation for quality" thread.

GA_Ironhead
4th October 2011, 13:26
Fixed the image links. (Needed the URLs wrapped in IMG codes.)

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc502/ironowner/harley/DSCF0001.jpg

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc502/ironowner/harley/image_836.jpg

shaymus
4th October 2011, 13:41
I've been doing it this way for years except I put the claws on the back of the hub. It looks like your not grabbing much in the pic.

gregC.
4th October 2011, 22:25
quick,simple , cheap ; what more do you want , I like it ! Thanks .

jagdprcp
5th October 2011, 00:41
I've been doing it this way for years except I put the claws on the back of the hub. It looks like your not grabbing much in the pic.

That is the same way that I do it also. I had to grind a bit of material off of the bottom of the puller to fit behind the basket properly...

IronMick
5th October 2011, 02:13
I have done it that way; with a puller borrowed from a local indie mech - that is what he uses. It is true that ya gotta be careful to have it hooked in good.