PDA

View Full Version : Rubbermount_EVO So, on my way home.

wedge
22nd October 2011, 01:08
I decided that I needed to hear it get up to 7000 rpm, and just about at 6800 I get this clanging noise. :doh :doh :doh

I immediately figure I broke something in the rocker boxes, but it kept running as good as ever, so I backed off it and turned into my parking lot at the shop. The wife got off and I went to put the kick stand down and nothing... No kickstand. So I went and walked down the street and found the kickstand, and the spring, but everything else was completely gone.

The pin, two bushings, and the cotter clip sort of thing came to over 20 bucks, and I have one of the bushings on order.

It's back together, and it actually feels smoother going down than before, even cobbled together with a washer on the bottom instead of the bushing that I am waiting for. But, that's another part that failed that I have never ever had fail on any other brand of bike. Comeon, a kickstand? Can't Harley do the simplest thing without it falling off?

Tin Man 2
22nd October 2011, 01:27
Keep winding that poor thing up to 7K and you will have bigger problems than the Kickstand.

Monkey55
22nd October 2011, 01:37
At least it wasn't your lic plate.... Or you coffee thermost.. Or your... nevermind.... :shhhh

When you said that you decided to hit 7000 rpm, it didn't sound like it was going to turn out good. But it's not that bad.

E

xllent01
22nd October 2011, 01:43
Keep winding that poor thing up to 7K and you will have bigger problems than the Kickstand.

YEP,

loosing the kickstand is better than the rear wheel locking up or grenading the top end, or a left turner pulling out in front of you at 6800 rpm's with the wife riding scared bitch on the back..:laugh

glad it was just the kickstand! :) ;)

RTFS!

Ride Safe!!

Jimmy_Hoffa
22nd October 2011, 02:06
What's the stock rev limiter set at?
I get mine up to the rev limiter ALL the time.

PiousDevil
22nd October 2011, 02:11
What's the stock rev limiter set at?

Not 7k.

JohnK
22nd October 2011, 02:13
Comeon, a kickstand? Can't Harley do the simplest thing without it falling off?

Harley kickstands are actually nicely engineered ...they lock in place when the weight is put on them so it's less likely to roll the bike off its stand. The downside is, they are a much more complicated mechanism and have more parts to wear out.

Phillober
22nd October 2011, 02:16
Wait, how did you walk back down the road with out a kick stand?

Sent from my cell at the bar crying about getting beat at FF by clam crusher, using tapatalk

JohnK
22nd October 2011, 02:31
... The wife got off and I went to...

Wait, how did you walk back down the road with out a kick stand?

I'm guessing *somebody* got the honor of holding up the bike? :rolleyes:

~Grind~
22nd October 2011, 02:52
Glad it was just the kickstand. I wonder how long mine is going to hold out. I scrape the mounting bracket quite often... These Oklahoma roads just suck!

Rico 05R
22nd October 2011, 03:12
Glad it was just the kickstand. I wonder how long mine is going to hold out. I scrape the mounting bracket quite often... These Oklahoma roads just suck!

But you're raising your ride height, so hopefully you'll be scraping less parts.

redi2ride
22nd October 2011, 03:44
Heh,mine flew off at 80mph on the freeway. lucky I was on the far left lane. I know what you mean about the simplest things.

rocketmangb
22nd October 2011, 04:28
7 K ? Holy Monkeys !

I would never spin mine that hard !

dr.feltersnatch
22nd October 2011, 06:02
Like a smile that just wont go away?

DG_Sportster
22nd October 2011, 06:52
Am i really the only one here who doesn't loose stuff on each ride? ( jinxed myself, i know )

In reading posts here, I've come to the conclusion that i could build a Sportster just by prowling the highways of America!

wedge
22nd October 2011, 18:33
TinMan2Keep winding that poor thing up to 7K and you will have bigger problems than the Kickstand.

I thought these things liked RPM, everyone says don't lug it, and I wasn't lugging it... :D

Monkey55 At least it wasn't your lic plate.... Or you coffee thermost.. Or your... nevermind.... When you said that you decided to hit 7000 rpm, it didn't sound like it was going to turn out good. But it's not that bad.

You know I don't drink coffee, it keeps me awake and I hate to be awake in traffic, it gets scary. :shhhh

Xllent01 loosing the kickstand is better than the rear wheel locking up or grenading the top end, or a left turner pulling out in front of you at 6800 rpm's with the wife riding scared bitch on the back..

glad it was just the kickstand!

The wife has bigger huevos than I do, so she never gets scared, and trust me, you don't want to be around if she reads this. :D And me too, glad it was just the kickstand... Maybe that's why they call it a jiffy stank, it falls off in a jiffy?

Jimmy Hoffa What's the stock rev limiter set at?

How ya been? You have been missing a while... The stock rev limiter is at 6000, and I used to bump it all the time, but thanks to Mr. Rocketman I now can run up to 7.

JohnK Harley kickstands are actually nicely engineered ...they lock in place when the weight is put on them so it's less likely to roll the bike off its stand. The downside is, they are a much more complicated mechanism and have more parts to wear out.

Now that I have replaced it, I agree. The problem is the stupid cotter pin they use that is a spring clip type. I am running it now while I wait for the bushing that was not in stock, and then I am going to put a real cotter pin in it and there will be no more problems.

Phillober Wait, how did you walk back down the road with out a kick stand?

Now see, this is where I keep saying that dirt bike riding is important to a well rounded education. Ya just pull up to a Yucca tree or something similar, lean it over to the right, turn the bars to the left, and prop the throttle against the tree. I had a bit of trouble finding a suitable Yucca on Philadelphia Ave in the city, but a wall works good too. Then when I went to Pomona Valley Harley for parts I went around the side of the building and used their wall.

~Grind~ Glad it was just the kickstand. I wonder how long mine is going to hold out. I scrape the mounting bracket quite often... These Oklahoma roads just suck!

Note the cotter pin post above... Just put a real one on there, and you won't have this problem. Mine most likely got tweaked due to the kicker hitting bottom too, because I like dirt and I have short rear shocks so I do drag a lot.

redi2ride Heh,mine flew off at 80mph on the freeway. lucky I was on the far left lane. I know what you mean about the simplest things.

Same deal man, get a real cotter pin on it.

Rocketmangb 7 K ? Holy Monkeys !

I would never spin mine that hard !

Don't lie to me, especially since it's your fault... :doh:D:p:tour

dr.feltersnatch Like a smile that just wont go away?

Yeah, like that's the major downside... :banana:D:laugh:smoke

Am i really the only one here who doesn't loose stuff on each ride? ( jinxed myself, i know )

In reading posts here, I've come to the conclusion that i could build a Sportster just by prowling the highways of America!

There are still some parts out front of my shop somewhere, and I don't give up esaily. Problem is that as soon as they hit the ground some &%^$#@@!#$%^ in a cage drives out of his or her way to flatten them into the pavement. My battery cover was only on the ground a few minutes and it was completely flat when I got back to it, and the kickstand got bent too, but I like the bend (the tab that you use to grab it with your toe). It's a better stand now, and all by accident.

tat2cj
22nd October 2011, 19:45
Had the same thing happen to me a couple years ago, was out on a ride with my bro. stopped for gas went to put the stand down and nothin. first thought great 30 miles from home and no kickstand and no way i'm just leaning my bike against a pole, but was never lucky enuff to find any of the parts. i had just bought the bike so i took it back to the stealer and told them what happened. they replaced it but tried to blame me first, with some sh!t about well the bottom is scratched up some u sure you didnt run it off a curb i was like hell no and i'm sure there are scratches as i bought it used from here.

sportsterpaul
22nd October 2011, 20:43
Well, I think them Sportys make some mighty fine music up around 6-7,000 r.p.m. Maybe Bruce will chime in soon. That's all I'm saying.

flathead45
22nd October 2011, 20:52
I'd never run mine up that high....

I built it, so theres no way I'd take up over 4000 :smoke

wedge
23rd October 2011, 01:31
Had the same thing happen to me a couple years ago, was out on a ride with my bro. stopped for gas went to put the stand down and nothin. first thought great 30 miles from home and no kickstand and no way i'm just leaning my bike against a pole, but was never lucky enuff to find any of the parts. i had just bought the bike so i took it back to the stealer and told them what happened. they replaced it but tried to blame me first, with some sh!t about well the bottom is scratched up some u sure you didnt run it off a curb i was like hell no and i'm sure there are scratches as i bought it used from here.

It's nothing to lean it against a pole. As long as you have the bars all the way against the stop (like full left if you are leaning it on the right side), it works fine, and it's completely safe, especially if you kick it into gear. Like I said, it's a dirt bike thing, MX bikes don't have kick stands, so we just find a Yucca to sit and take a smoke break under. It won't hurt anything if done right.

Anyway, a real cotter pin instead of that stupid factory POS, and this problem will be gone.

wedge
23rd October 2011, 01:33
Well, I think them Sportys make some mighty fine music up around 6-7,000 r.p.m. Maybe Bruce will chime in soon. That's all I'm saying.

Oh... they sure do. I was still smiling while I was walking up the street looing for parts.

bh206b3
23rd October 2011, 03:16
Something similar happened to me on my trip out west last spring. I-90 was closed as it goes from Wyoming into Montana so they sent on this long-ass detour around. I get to this section of Route 310 that was under construction. Sign said, "Motorcyclists Use Alternate Route." Trouble was, we were already *ON* the alternate route. There was no alternate-alternate route :(

The "road" turned into a 10-mile stretch of dirt. The surface was pockmarked by dozer tracks, which turned my Sportster into a jackhammer. Of course it was raining and super muddy. Of course. The speed limit was 35 or so but I could barely keep 20, the vibration was so bad. I worried that the welds in the steering neck were going to fail. After awhile I notice a loud clanging. I look down and my sidestand (sorry, "jiffy stand") is flopping in the breeze. The spring had come off. I stopped and walked back a ways and - miraculously - found the spring out in the mud. Bungeed the stand up and rode like that to the next town where I found a shop that fixed it (I had no tools of my own).

Eh. On the road, sh*t happens.

wedge
23rd October 2011, 19:35
Something similar happened to me on my trip out west last spring. I-90 was closed as it goes from Wyoming into Montana so they sent on this long-ass detour around. I get to this section of Route 310 that was under construction. Sign said, "Motorcyclists Use Alternate Route." Trouble was, we were already *ON* the alternate route. There was no alternate-alternate route :(

The "road" turned into a 10-mile stretch of dirt. The surface was pockmarked by dozer tracks, which turned my Sportster into a jackhammer. Of course it was raining and super muddy. Of course. The speed limit was 35 or so but I could barely keep 20, the vibration was so bad. I worried that the welds in the steering neck were going to fail. After awhile I notice a loud clanging. I look down and my sidestand (sorry, "jiffy stand") is flopping in the breeze. The spring had come off. I stopped and walked back a ways and - miraculously - found the spring out in the mud. Bungeed the stand up and rode like that to the next town where I found a shop that fixed it (I had no tools of my own).

Eh. On the road, sh*t happens.

Well, I guess that shoots down my theory. I thought just using a good cotter pin would cure it, but now I see that the spring can actually fly off while the stand is still attached, so that's a second type of failure that Harley has built into the bike. (I should say kickstand, because we all know they have other failures built into the bike).

Using a real cotter pin will at least keep you from loosing the stand and all the hardware with it, but you can still loose the spring.

By the way, funny thing about those grader ridges... The faster you go, the smoother they get. If you had cranked it up to 70, you would have thought you were on the slab. But then you would have had to walk back further to find the spring... ;)

Ireeman
23rd October 2011, 19:50
Hey i lost my muffler of my SS suppertrapp once, on the Henry Hudson Parkway. Walking back on that road is dicey at best.

Gcram399
23rd October 2011, 20:37
[QUOTE=wedge;3588791]Problem is that as soon as they hit the ground some &%^$#@@!#$%^ in a cage drives out of his or her way to flatten them into the pavement. My battery cover was only on the ground a few minutes and it was completely flat when I got back to it [QUOTE]

Sorry about that dude but I really only had to cross one lane to nail that sucker. :banana

wedge
23rd October 2011, 22:16
[QUOTE=wedge;3588791]Problem is that as soon as they hit the ground some &%^$#@@!#$%^ in a cage drives out of his or her way to flatten them into the pavement. My battery cover was only on the ground a few minutes and it was completely flat when I got back to it [QUOTE]

Sorry about that dude but I really only had to cross one lane to nail that sucker. :banana

Oh, well, since it's just you I guess I'll let it slide.. :D Actually if you are the guy that ran over the kickstand, then that worked out well, it's modified in a good way, I like it. By the time I tried bending it back it had two new bends in the tab that you use to hook it with your boot, and that puts it in a better place and easier to grab with the boot. Or so it seems.

JDRAKE4200
24th October 2011, 16:28
I wind my baby all the way up to 7 k frequntly. Is this something I should not be doing. Put on the dyno and produces power all the way up til the limiter kick in. Lemme know, havent had any issues, but kinda worried now.

Airbozo
24th October 2011, 16:35
Kickstands.

I ride a 95 and I am on my 5th one. Only one of them fell off, the rest have been ground down to useless pointy sticks.

(and I have gone through at least 3 times the amount of springs and pins).

wedge
24th October 2011, 19:44
I wind my baby all the way up to 7 k frequntly. Is this something I should not be doing. Put on the dyno and produces power all the way up til the limiter kick in. Lemme know, havent had any issues, but kinda worried now.

I dunno, but up til this point I kept hearing that these things like to wind up. Now a bunch of folks are saying I'm about to blow the engine? Oh well, if it's gotta blow, then why not go out in a big way? Even if it did lock the rear wheel, pulling on the clutch should clear that up unless it took out the tranny at the same time, so I don't see the danger to anything but the ol huevo's. It sure sounds cool at just over 6,000, and I have not hit the limiter since going to the 7,000 limit, so I am staying below 7, although I can't say by how much.

wedge
24th October 2011, 19:48
Kickstands.

I ride a 95 and I am on my 5th one. Only one of them fell off, the rest have been ground down to useless pointy sticks.

(and I have gone through at least 3 times the amount of springs and pins).

Hey, grinding them down is normal wear, not to be considered a failure on Harley's part... :D

ol38y
24th October 2011, 20:37
And if there's no Yucca around just grab the front brake and dump the clutch. Then did a hole in the ground till it's deep enough to hold the bike up... :doh

Another old dirt bike trick...:smoke

JeeperJay
24th October 2011, 20:52
Yup, I've had plenty of things loosen up and fall off on the 2 Sportsters I've ridden.

I've had the toe shifter peg fall off ('98 883)
I've had both front foot pegs get so loose they were dangling ('98 883 & '93 1200).
Right rear turn signal dangling by the wires ('98 883 & '93 1200).
Lost my ignition module cover ('93 1200).
Battery terminals have come loose and bolts fell out ('98 883 & '93 1200).
Mirrors constantly coming loose ('98 883 & '93 1200).
Gas tank vibrated loose ('93 1200).
Handlebars have vibrated loose ('93 1200).
It goes on & on. LOL

I make sure to check most of these parts now before I go out for a ride. Leaning against a wall or tree works very well! I leaned the '93 against the side of my garage so I could change the kickstand spring and bolt.

BWP 5p
24th October 2011, 22:55

I dunno, but up til this point I kept hearing that these things like to wind up. Now a bunch of folks are saying I'm about to blow the engine? Oh well, if it's gotta blow, then why not go out in a big way? Even if it did lock the rear wheel, pulling on the clutch should clear that up unless it took out the tranny at the same time, so I don't see the danger to anything but the ol huevo's. It sure sounds cool at just over 6,000, and I have not hit the limiter since going to the 7,000 limit, so I am staying below 7, although I can't say by how much.

I felt bad about hitting my limiter at 7K.....so I set my TC 88A at 6900:doh:D:D:D I have almost 26,000 and mine has seen the limiter more than a time or two.:clap:clap:banana:banana

Brad
24th October 2011, 23:33
FYI - I think in '05, there was one size jiffy for all Sportys. The taller bikes like yours leaned a lot and this put some extra strain on the assembly. In 2006 they went to a longer jiffy. I put a longer on on my '05 custom when I went to 13" shocks. I had to get the PN from an '06 parts catalogue. I'll see if I can dig up the PN's.

wedge
24th October 2011, 23:41
FYI - I think in '05, there was one size jiffy for all Sportys. The taller bikes like yours leaned a lot and this put some extra strain on the assembly. In 2006 they went to a longer jiffy. I put a longer on on my '05 custom when I went to 13" shocks. I had to get the PN from an '06 parts catalogue. I'll see if I can dig up the PN's.

You are right, mine used to lean over so far it felt like it was going to fall over. But I took the 13.5" shocks off and put 11" on, and the kickstand is a great height for that.