PDA

View Full Version : Any one installed the Harley Loud Horn Kit yet?

G.Man
24th October 2011, 04:10
According to HD :
"Grab everyone's attention. Engineered to be 3dB louder (at 2 meters) than the Original Equipment front-mounted horn, this Horn Kit is tuned to a frequency note that helps cut through the background noise."

Has anyone installed this? I'm curious how much louder is this "Loud Horn". 3dB hardly seems much of a difference, so if anyone's done this mod, do chime in (pun intended :banana)

Here's the link to the kit on HD's website :
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?WebLogicSession=NSEkjUWfel2fc2p2CM ZBuZqMbnPdw9Atd1HKolQd3PgvhiQHLF8M!104569927!hiwpb msp01.ihd.hd!7005!8005&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448777107&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302490891&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302490891&bmUID=1305625766459&bmLocale=en_ca

bitpusher
24th October 2011, 04:13
don't know any one who has installed the moco 'loud' horn but a lot of us have installed the 139db Stebel Nautilus. it is 'LOUD'. see here (http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=27386)

Swanny1172
24th October 2011, 04:56
I installed the Loud Horn on my '04. Overall, I am happy with it. It is louder, but what really makes it better is that it has a slightly lower pitch than the stock horn.

While 3dB doesn't sound like a big difference, keep in mind that decibels are a logarithmic measure. So, if you double the power ratio, the difference is approximately a 3 dB change. Not a huge difference, but definitely significant enough to notice.

G.Man
24th October 2011, 05:30
I installed the Loud Horn on my '04. Overall, I am happy with it. It is louder, but what really makes it better is that it has a slightly lower pitch than the stock horn.

While 3dB doesn't sound like a big difference, keep in mind that decibels are a logarithmic measure. So, if you double the power ratio, the difference is approximately a 3 dB change. Not a huge difference, but definitely significant enough to notice.

Thanks Swanny, so it sounds better in person than it looks on paper? I was considering a Hella Supertone, but those wouldn't fit without ugly brackets (and the horns themselves are kind of an eyesore). So i'd be keen on the loud horn kit if there's a noticable difference.

G.Man
24th October 2011, 06:54
Swanny, by the way, was it a simple swap out? According to the product description it's supposed to be. Was there any additional hardware required?

henry p ratas
24th October 2011, 13:59
Got one it is louder and easy to install

2007Low
24th October 2011, 16:00
I did the cowbell horn conversion to mine, I don't know if or even how much louder this one is but a Harley should never have a Toyota horn on it, so I had to do something to get rid of the original. Sounds much better.

jb7
25th October 2011, 10:42
I have one. Not as loud as a Stebel, but louder than stock. Looks and mounts like the stock horn.

Bone
25th October 2011, 14:59

Swanny, might I ask - have you heard a single low-tone Fiamm and if so, how would you compare this one?

I was thinking of installing this on my wife's Ducati (because I get a perverse pleasure installing Harley parts on Italian bikes and because the small size would fit nicely behind the oil cooler cover on her bike).

sr20de2
28th October 2011, 02:27
I also installed the loud horn. It mounts just like the factory horn.
I used my iphone Db meter before and after.
Factory horn @ 10 feet = 88Db
Loud horn @ 10 feet = 103Db
I can definitly tell a difference.

Swanny1172
28th October 2011, 02:29
Swanny, by the way, was it a simple swap out? According to the product description it's supposed to be. Was there any additional hardware required?

Simple swap. Took all of about 5 minutes to install.

Swanny1172
28th October 2011, 02:31
Swanny, might I ask - have you heard a single low-tone Fiamm and if so, how would you compare this one?

I was thinking of installing this on my wife's Ducati (because I get a perverse pleasure installing Harley parts on Italian bikes and because the small size would fit nicely behind the oil cooler cover on her bike).

I am not familiar for the Fiamm, so I am unable to make a comparison.

jb7
28th October 2011, 02:35
I had a low tone Fiamm on my Kawasaki Versys. The HD loud horn is not as loud as the Fiamm

G.Man
28th October 2011, 02:48
I also installed the loud horn. It mounts just like the factory horn.
I used my iphone Db meter before and after.
Factory horn @ 10 feet = 88Db
Loud horn @ 10 feet = 103Db
I can definitly tell a difference.

Thanks! I was hoping for just such a reply! :)

I'm definitely going to order it now.