PDA

View Full Version : Ironhead Clutch Realease Mechanism HELP !!

ZDC77irondome
19th November 2011, 19:35
have a 77 iron and the clutch mechanism wont stay in the primary cover.. I tryed to keep it into place with a punch but no good. I get it into place and within 2 pulls on the clutch it falls out of the housing

rivethog
19th November 2011, 20:23
If it falls out after you've reinstalled the primary cover, then either you don't have the release mechanism assembled correctly, you're not installing the primary cover correctly, or you aren't adjusting the clutch correctly after installing the primary cover. The peening only keeps things together so it doesn't fall apart when removing and installing the primary.

runingmouse
19th November 2011, 20:56
+1 with rivethog.

If your not sure on the cluth adj. Here is a post I copped from piniongear. And I found it to be hands down the best way for my 79.

"Anyway, print this out and then take it out to the bike and do the adjustment.
Do the steps in order and please do not take short cuts or skip a step.
To do so will result in an incorrect adjustment..............

[ Follow each step in order, please..........

1) Loosen the lock nut on the cable adjuster and run the adjuster into the primary cover until you have lots of free play up at the clutch lever.

2) Remove the plug on the center of the primary cover.
With a 13/16 socket loosen the lock nut on the clutch adjustment screw.

3) Turn the adjuster screw inward until it gets harder to turn. (It is now touching the pressure plate)
Turn the screw in an additional 2 full turns.

4) Now go back to the cable adjuster and screw it out of the primary cover. Watch the slack begin to disappear at the clutch lever.
Continue to turn the adjuster out until the slack is gone. Stop.
You want zero slack and zero load at the lever. Just a neutral no slack/no load adjustment.

5) Tighten the cable adjuster lock nut down. THIS IS THE LAST TIME YOU WILL TOUCH THIS ADJUSTER! So move on to the following steps........

6) Now go back to the clutch adjusting screw and turn it outward until it gets easier to turn. Stop.
Turn the adjuster back in until you feel it touch the pressure plate. Stop.
Now turn the adjuster screw out 1/8 to 1/4 turn. Notice this last step is what gives you the desired amount of slack up at the lever.

7) Carefully tighten down the lock nut on the adjuster screw without allowing the screw to move.
Replace the center plug in the primary cover and you are now done.

If it slips at all after this adjustment then you have worn clutch plates. And slippage means you need to look at replacing the plates. No other course of action is possible.
Let us know the results please. ]
pg
"

IronMick
19th November 2011, 22:08
You do not need the peening. Get the mechanism installed into the cover than attach a needle nose vice grip onto the locknut. This will hold it in place while you install the cover.

It is a bit awkward to set up but works well.

bustert
20th November 2011, 01:10
one way to fix this up is the install machine screws as retainers. i use this method if the original brading has to come off, suggest stainless due to the aluminum cover.

russzx6
20th November 2011, 01:18
Here is what i did on my 77 to fix that problem, the previous owners had gone a bit over the top with some center punches!!

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll65/russzx6/IMG_6428.jpg

bustert
20th November 2011, 01:22
right on russ!!!!!!!!

ryder rick
20th November 2011, 01:31
http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww101/rickb794/IMG_1878.jpg

russzx6
20th November 2011, 02:44
A visual of your explaination mate!! :clap

right on russ!!!!!!!!

ZDC77irondome
5th December 2011, 02:53
Hey guys. I followed those directions step by step and it helped. Just sometimes when i pull the clutch in, the mechanism pops forward and i have tons of slack and no pull on cable..

runingmouse
5th December 2011, 13:28
If thats the problem now, fine tune it then.

6) Now go back to the clutch adjusting screw and turn it outward until it gets easier to turn. Stop.
Turn the adjuster back in until you feel it touch the pressure plate. Stop.
Now turn the adjuster screw out 1/8 to 1/4 turn. Notice this last step is what gives you the desired amount of slack up at the lever.

Rifrafredo
12th January 2014, 02:27
One of my bikes is a '77 Iron. I am restoring/customizing the bike. I bought a chrome Primary cover to replace the beat up original. The clutch release assembly doesn't fit in the aftermarket cover. The guy I bought the cover from says there's another part that I need to install the release assembly into the cover, but doesn't know what the part is. Can anyone point me in the right direction??

Thanks in advance,
Rif

72 Ironhead XLH
12th January 2014, 03:34
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g219/BtDoctur/Untitledpri_zpsae2027d9.jpg
What part are you missing?