PDA

View Full Version : Jersey riders check in.. pre- snow ride?

il67bp
3rd January 2012, 17:21
would anybody be down? im up in north/central nj where are you guys at? anyone interested in doing a ride?

Crosshairs
3rd January 2012, 18:02
I'm right around 105 off the GSP.....but its 27 degrees out today and I don't see me taking the bike out anytime soon...

hit me up in the spring...:)

O.R. John
4th January 2012, 00:14
I did a couple of polar bear rides already this year....one of them was the Sunday we had temps in the 20s. Since then I've gotten my first pair of chaps and a dual control thermostat for my heated gear.

So I guess you cold say I am down for a ride. I am in Keyport.

I think the key for me is "PRE SNOW." I.e., I have no interest in riding in any kind of moisture to go along with the cold. You can have fun riding in the rain, sleet or snow...but you can count me out!

FWIW, it might be cool to have a bunch of sporties show up for a polar bear ride (http://polarbeargrandtour.com/.) We could show all of those Gold Wings a thing or two! :-)

il67bp
4th January 2012, 20:55
I'm down for that polar bear ride.. And I'm not too far from keyport maybe 20-30 mins

O.R. John
5th January 2012, 02:05
In case you didn't know, the polar bear rides happen every Sunday (none on Christmas or New Year's Day.) I'll post to this thread the day before if I am planning to go on one.

pretjah
7th January 2012, 02:49
nj - mercer county here! getting read to put my bike to rest for a few weeks as i do some minor changes

O.R. John
7th January 2012, 12:57
A couple of friends are supposed to be meeting at the Park and Ride on Route 130 before we hear down to Vineland. I'll post more details later.

O.R. John
8th January 2012, 02:07
So the Park and Ride is called the South Brunswick Park and Ride. It is near where Route 130 and Route 32 intersect.

I'll be there at 9;00 tomorrow morning, and it's kickstands up at 9:30. The trip is about 1.75 hours to Vineland NJ.

il67bp
8th January 2012, 03:13
I think I'm actually heading to the city tonight and may stay the day tomorrow.. But we'll get in touch soon and ride

O.R. John
9th January 2012, 12:33
So the weather cooperated very nicely yesterday. Our group of 9 bikes even had another Sportster!

Since the trip was a long one, the roads were rather straight and boring. I have some info on the trip down pasted below. I forgot to turn on the Android app on the way home, so I don't have any info on the trip home - during which I detoured through some twisties in Monmouth County.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=208974181849202440514.0004b60aa2dcb6e9abb1f

Polar Bear To Vineland (End)
Updated 14 hours ago

Created by My Car Tracks on Android.

Total Distance: 111.19 km (69.1 mi)
Total Time: 1:32:00
Moving Time: 1:22:49
Average Speed: 72.51 km/h (45.1 mi/h)
Average Moving Speed: 80.55 km/h (50.1 mi/h)
Max Speed: 117.97 km/h (73.3 mi/h)
Min Elevation: 9 m (30 ft)
Max Elevation: 42 m (138 ft)
Elevation Gain: 228 m (748 ft)
Max Grade: 6 %
Min Grade: -2 %
Recorded: Sun Jan 08 09:27:36 EST 2012

O.R. John
14th January 2012, 18:51
Well, it's Saturday again! Looks like we will have sunny skies and a high in the high 20s tomorrow.

I am doing the Polar Bear ride with a few friends. We are meeting at the Bridgewater Diner on Route 22. We'll be leaving the diner at 10 AM. The ride destination:

WEARHOUSE GRILL

161 Rte. 181

Lake Hopatcong, NJ.

If anybody else is game and you want to meet up, PM me or reply on this thread. I'll check in tomorrow morning at about 7 AM.

O.R. John
14th January 2012, 22:22
:bump:bump

il67bp
15th January 2012, 04:40
of course i have damn work tomorrow and you guys are meeting up about 10 mins from my house

Sulconst2
15th January 2012, 05:13
Well, it's Saturday again! Looks like we will have sunny skies and a high in the high 20s tomorrow.

I am doing the Polar Bear ride with a few friends. We are meeting at the Bridgewater Diner on Route 22. We'll be leaving the diner at 10 AM. The ride destination:

WEARHOUSE GRILL

161 Rte. 181

Lake Hopatcong, NJ.

If anybody else is game and you want to meet up, PM me or reply on this thread. I'll check in tomorrow morning at about 7 AM.

Man that's hard core. Especially heading farther north as it'll be colder. Your not far from the somerset swap meet. Was there today. Not bad. Andy Simon has a booth. Got a pic with my kid on his 2010 champion drag bike.

O.R. John
15th January 2012, 12:10
It's supposed to go up to 26 around me today. We'll see how well my cold weather gear works. I think I am starting to like winter riding better than summer riding!

I'll check back here around 7.

O.R. John
15th January 2012, 21:34
It was pretty freaking cold today. Sunny and good to look at, but it was a *lot* colder once we got up in the mountains. The chaps and heated gear played an essential role. Fingertips and toes were numb by the end. I never enjoyed holding a cup of hot cocoa so much before. Here are the details:

http://g.co/maps/fe337

Bridgewater To Wearhouse Grille (End)
Updated 3 minutes ago

Created by My Car Tracks on Android.

Total Distance: 63.51 km (39.5 mi)
Total Time: 57:24
Moving Time: 50:51
Average Speed: 66.38 km/h (41.2 mi/h)
Average Moving Speed: 74.92 km/h (46.6 mi/h)
Max Speed: 122.42 km/h (76.1 mi/h)
Min Elevation: 30 m (98 ft)
Max Elevation: 299 m (983 ft)
Elevation Gain: 420 m (1377 ft)
Max Grade: 27 %
Min Grade: -3 %
Recorded: Sun Jan 15 09:50:48 EST 2012

CaptEvo
15th January 2012, 23:12
Yeah anything under 40 for me is a little tough. I dont have good gear for it. If I do go out its a pretty short tour to get my fix...lol Props to you for representing. :tour

O.R. John
15th January 2012, 23:31
Yeah anything under 40 for me is a little tough. I dont have good gear for it. If I do go out its a pretty short tour to get my fix...lol Props to you for representing. :tour

Props to the heated gear for keeping me warm!

It was a good day for a ride if not for the cold, though.

O.R. John
30th January 2012, 01:29
Good ride with the Polar Bear Grand Tour today. Not too cold, nice and sunny. We were a group of 7 riding from the Bridgewater Diner to the Exchange in Rockaway, NJ. I enjoyed 120 miles in total today.

I am noticing an annoying habit exhibited by my $57 chaps: the zippers come undone at highway speeds (and above highway speeds.) Sometimes I realize that the damn things are flapping in the breeze as I ride down the highway!

Last week I sat out because there was snow on the ground.

Next week is going to be a long one - and we may even be riding through the areas of some of our PA brethren. The destination is The Franklin House Tavern at 101 N Market St, Schaefferstown, PA 17088. It's going to take us about 2 hours to get there from the Bridgewater Diner. As long as the weather is okay and I've got a few bucks for lunch and gas, I'll probably go for the ride. Any interested parties post here and I'll check the night before.

And if any Forum members are in or around Schaefferstown, come on down to the Franklin House Tavern and say Hi!

il67bp
2nd February 2012, 04:13
mani feel terrible i started this thread and you have been giving me many opportunites to come out and ride and i havent once... although i have been riding i work nearly everyday and my day off changes every week so its hard. i did take a ride down to long branch this weekend though.. finally just gave in and ordered heated gloves

O.R. John
2nd February 2012, 11:53
mani feel terrible i started this thread and you have been giving me many opportunites to come out and ride and i havent once... although i have been riding i work nearly everyday and my day off changes every week so its hard. i did take a ride down to long branch this weekend though.. finally just gave in and ordered heated gloves

Don't feel bad. Do what you have to do! I don't know how many rides I missed because of work over the summer. Just so happens that this time of year is slower for me. I'll keep posting here in case you or anyone else can check it out. Hope the heated gloves work out for you. I just gave an extra power switch I had to a guy who got Gerbings gloves that came with no switch. He likes them so far.