PDA

View Full Version : How long should I charge dead battery?

Old Goat Ninja
6th January 2012, 22:20
Yeah, I know. Kind of mad at myself. Bike sat for about 2 months. Wasn't the intention, but things came up and one week went by, then 2, until finally it's been almost 2 months. I have a big ride tomorrow, so out today getting bike ready, but it wont start. I don't have a Battery Tender (Sitting this long is very much not normal for me). But I do have a Battery Charger. Right now battery is on it at 2 amp. It only has a 2 amp, 10 amp, and Engine Start setting. Lowest setting seemed safest. Anyways, how long do you think I should leave it for. Until morning, just a few hours, etc? It's not a Battery Tender, so I don't think there is any kind of shut off and I don't want to ruin battery, assuming I haven't already by the 2 months of sitting.

Anyways, thanks in advance.

Big-Ed
6th January 2012, 22:36
Yeah, I know. Kind of mad at myself. Bike sat for about 2 months. Wasn't the intention, but things came up and one week went by, then 2, until finally it's been almost 2 months. I have a big ride tomorrow, so out today getting bike ready, but it wont start. I don't have a Battery Tender (Sitting this long is very much not normal for me). But I do have a Battery Charger. Right now battery is on it at 2 amp. It only has a 2 amp, 10 amp, and Engine Start setting. Lowest setting seemed safest. Anyways, how long do you think I should leave it for. Until morning, just a few hours, etc? It's not a Battery Tender, so I don't think there is any kind of shut off and I don't want to ruin battery, assuming I haven't already by the 2 months of sitting.

Anyways, thanks in advance.

The issue is that your charger is not intellegent, I would only use the 2amp setting (this is even high for a motorcycle battery) & depending on how low the charge is in the battery, I would have it on charge for around 4 to 6 hours.. Do not charge the battery overnight, keep a watch of it to ensure its ok & also if it gets hot, take it off charge straight away!..

As you have said, you may have already damaged the battery, this is when a good intellegent charger comes into play, many have a battery recovery mode for batteries that have been left going flat/flat for a while..

Old Goat Ninja
6th January 2012, 22:45
The issue is that your charger is not intellegent, I would only use the 2amp setting (this is even high for a motorcycle battery) & depending on how low the charge is in the battery, I would have it on charge for around 4 to 6 hours.. Do not charge the battery overnight, keep a watch of it to ensure its ok & also if it gets hot, take it off charge straight away!..

As you have said, you may have already damaged the battery, this is when a good intellegent charger comes into play, many have a battery recovery mode for batteries that have been left going flat/flat for a while..

Thanks, I'll check it in a couple more hours (been about 2 now). Yeah, this old relic charger is for a car. But it's what I have for now. When my wife got in her accident, her bike sat for longer and I was able to save it, so hopefully I can save this one. Battery is only a year old, and an HD one. And this is first time it has sat for any period of time, so hopefully it'll be ok, but if not, well, that's what I get for not putting it on a battery tender.

Big-Ed
6th January 2012, 22:48
As a rough guide, a 1amp constant charge rate will take a battery charge state to:

Battery State -------- Hours

0% -------------------- 24

25% ------------------- 18

50% ------------------- 12

75% ------------------- 6

bigpup
6th January 2012, 23:22
I use a battery tender so you can leave it plug in overnight and it monitors the charge. I think i only paid 30 bucks for the thing but it works great. I belive it is a 750ma so it does a nice slow trickle charge.

xllent01
6th January 2012, 23:34
Put it on the lowest setting and charge it for no more than 12 hours..most good chargers have over charging protection built into them, so they cycle on and off to prevent cooking the battery altogether, atleast the one I have does

If the battery is Fubared no amount of trickle charge will ever bring it back, As you need 12.8 volts to be 100% charged on a volt meter or the bike will never start...

maybe time for a new battery, Sorry for your loss, I know what you mean about being busy, it's easy to forget if you don't see it everyday!

Ride Safe on your outting!

Old Goat Ninja
7th January 2012, 00:17
I think my battery may be ok. After a little over 2 hours, I unplugged it and tried turning it over. And it had some good oomph. Not enough to start, but it turned bike over very well until it ran out of juice. I think by tonight I should be ok (I'm on WestCoast, so it's only 3pm)

Rico 05R
7th January 2012, 01:16
Hell it's still early, jump the damn thing and go ride it for a couple of hours, you'll be good to go.

Rogster
7th January 2012, 01:47
Shouldnt take more than 3 hours to bring a decent batt back to like,, but there is nothing like riding to bring it back...Rog

Big-Ed
7th January 2012, 12:03
I think my battery may be ok. After a little over 2 hours, I unplugged it and tried turning it over. And it had some good oomph. Not enough to start, but it turned bike over very well until it ran out of juice. I think by tonight I should be ok (I'm on WestCoast, so it's only 3pm)

Thats a good sign that the battery stilll has some power behind it voltage... Id give it 4-6 hours, then even jump start the bike to start help the battery cope with the current draw, then when riding & running, it should then be fine & you may have been lucky to save the battery :clap

Old Goat Ninja
7th January 2012, 17:51
I took the bike off the charger last night at about 5pm because me and the family were going out for some ice cream. Got back and decided to see if it'd start and it did just like normal, and I only ran it for a minute or 2 in garage. I'm off for a big ride today. I leave in 2 hours or so. I just popped it back on charger for a little bit just because I figure I wasted most of the juice just testing to see if it'll start.

Old Goat Ninja
8th January 2012, 04:24
Thanks everyone for the help. I rode pretty much all day today, with lots of stops for gas and food, and it started back up everytime without any problems. I think everything is good with it. Whew haha

grampadac
9th January 2012, 10:13
Now go get yourself a tender.

Big-Ed
9th January 2012, 11:06
Now go get yourself a tender.

+1 on this! :clap

xllent01
9th January 2012, 12:18
Or ride more...less garage jewelry..:laugh