PDA

View Full Version : Bitten by the Buell Bug

tplyons
31st December 2007, 01:39
I started riding in May and purchased my first bike, a 2007 Sportster 883 Custom, and love the bike. HOWEVER, while I love the Sporty for cruising, I'd also like to get something a bit sportier. I've fallen in love with the XB12R, and even moreso since sitting on one today at the NY Motorcycle Show.

The only thing stopping me is the 30.5" seat height... (how much can these be lowered) and the fact that I still have 48 payments left on my Sportster. Advice? And don't say sell the Sporty, I'm still in love.

blakjak
31st December 2007, 03:08
Make the sporty sportier. You can put awesome suspension components and an 88 inch motor in her for half the price of the buell. You may not keep up with the buell in the twisties but you won't ever be disappointed.

tplyons
31st December 2007, 03:25
I really like the Sporty for being relatively slow and cruiser-y... you know? I'd rather have two bikes for two purposes than one bike that does everything half-assed.

superwarden
31st December 2007, 04:05
I picked up a cheap CBR 600 for the sportier rides. Not a Harley mind you, but a fast well built bike to satisfy my teenage need for speed.

blakjak
31st December 2007, 04:10
I really like the Sporty for being relatively slow and cruiser-y... you know? I'd rather have two bikes for two purposes than one bike that does everything half-assed.

HAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!

Ok.

rodhotter
31st December 2007, 16:10
check out the scg model, lowest of the line,its killing me, the scg fits my 5-8 height but your still a little bent over. i sat on one and it felt like there was nothing there, EXCELLENT 150 lb less, more weight lower in bike, the 08s are said to have more improvements yet

snowman
31st December 2007, 16:15

That's why I went and got a nice used glide...:geek:geek:geek

bdbecker
31st December 2007, 19:44
If you're into it, you may want to consider a vintage cafe racer Jap bike - they can be had for cheap and there are a bunch of them out there. A good rule of thumb is to only pay $1 per cc for a running condition, 10 years or more old, otherwise you're paying too much. And for God's sake, make sure it has a title, that's just a can of worms you don't want to open.

I ended up buying a running (but needs a bunch of work) 1979 Yamaha XS650 for $350 with the intention of making a cafe racer/naked streetfighter styled hooligan bike for when I want to raise a ruckus. I think this can be done for $1000 or less, as there are tons of cheap parts available for this specific bike.

If you really want a Buell, I would say look for a used one and don't buy it until you can pay cash - the last thing most of us need is another couple of hundred dollars going out the door each month.

Good luck in your decision!

Kevyn
31st December 2007, 20:24
Nothing satisfies like a Buell. Don't even bother trying to lower an XB, you'll never get it right. It is what it is. Maybe a clean used SCG with a 'lowered' seat will get the stress off your inseams.

Don't overlook the tube frame Buells. Not as technically advanced as the XB line but still more capable than most riders care to find out. Easy to wrench, plenty of parts available and very durable.

bluemule24
8th April 2008, 07:04
I got rid of the Sporty and got this:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2053/2397237065_2579e80d69.jpg?v=0
I'm very satisfied.
:banadanc

bald_bueller
7th September 2008, 19:36
just joined the buell line myself.....
can't wait to get a track day to decide in a direction to go for it...

bluemule24
8th September 2008, 03:31
http://w3.bikepics.com/pics/2008/08/19/bikepics-1389862-800.jpg

GnFishn
9th September 2008, 01:33
I crossed over too, in July. The Ulysses was calling me and I answered. Never looked back. Buells are awesome bikes. Don't tell anyone how good they are, lets keep them a secret.:shhhh

rolltide42
29th September 2008, 05:45
i have a sporty and bought a buell for a custom build but am now thinking that once i get this bike built I am gonna sell the sporty and have a buell as my 2nd bike