PDA

View Full Version : XLForum 2008 Weight Loss Challenge - Chop YOURSELF

Pages : [1] 2 3

dagsportster
31st December 2007, 20:19
Who's up for a challenge and shedding some of those holiday (or plain lazy) pounds this year?

I lost a bunch of weight a few years ago, but slowly it's been creeping back on, only because I've gotten lazy. I was trying on a jacket (after Christmas sales) and looked at myself in the mirror today and said -- ugh, man, you look like hell with all that extra weight.

Now I'm a stubborn SOB and when I get my mind to do something, I do it or die trying (and I'm still alive). So whether anyone wants to join me in this quest to shed the fat or not, I'll take it off. But I'm challenging any of you other lazy asses to join me. What I'd like to do is keep track of our collective weight loss. At the end of the year, we all donate $1 for every pound lost to charity. Now, maybe that sounds like a disincentive, but really, would you spend $50 to lose 50 lbs? I would! Imagine if we could collectively lose 500 pounds or a thousand and donate the money to a worthy cause in the XLF's name?

We can support each other with exercise tips, food suggestions or just to commiserate about how much we miss cheese fries and jelly donuts.

So who's up for the challenge? Just because you're a HOG doesn't mean you have to look like one. Your Sporty will thank you!

Dave

Irondrake77
31st December 2007, 20:31
I'll take the challenge...what do I have to do?

rickxx
31st December 2007, 20:40
i'm in. i could stand to lose more than a few pounds.

gomorley
31st December 2007, 20:47
Think I'll just watch from the sidelines!!!!!!!!

ScreamingEag1e
31st December 2007, 20:49
I'll offer some advice if asked, but there isn't much of a challenge for me any more. I've lost 55lbs since 1 September and only have about 30 to go. I should be "speedo" ready by summer. :laugh

bills bikes
31st December 2007, 20:50
put me in. i misplace 22# since 10/07/07 i starded at 240# down to 218# that less then i was at 15 now iam 57 my goal is 180 but would happy at 190 to 200 let go for it.

pquirk
31st December 2007, 20:51
I'll play. I've gotten pretty flabby lately and need to drop about 15-20. :)

Terp84Alum
31st December 2007, 20:52
Damn. I wish this was posted last year. I lost 45 lbs (over 20%) last year. Good luck to everyone involved. It can be done and really isn't that hard once you get into it.

Sporting Lad
31st December 2007, 21:17
The Ironheads tell me my XL is 50 pounds overweight.
My doctor tells me my body is 50 pounds overweight.
It'll be less expensive to do some mods on the bod.
I could never afford all that titanium for the bike!

I'm in.

But first we agree on some ground rules.
Then we ban the smartasses on the sidelines.

Dag, you're the point man on this, so help us get started.
You've made me want to become less of a man. :D

jrogers329
31st December 2007, 21:21
I'm in...I would like to lose about 45 lbs.
Thanks for doing this!!

John

khaskins
31st December 2007, 21:25
I'm 200 right now, aiming for 175, 180. I'm game.

Woody01
31st December 2007, 21:26
Count me in. My resolution is to loose 30 lbs. That should comfortably put me down to 185 lbs.

srrice40
31st December 2007, 21:26
I am definitely in. I started loosing weight 1 year ago, I started at 326, I am down to 269, I want to loose 100lbs. just let us know what we need to do. :D:D

Phaedrus
31st December 2007, 21:32

Drink less beer?

I'm in and beer drinking will be the challange.
I'm starting a 225 with a goal of 195

myrl883
31st December 2007, 21:33
I'm in, Dave! It's not a disincentive at all - I'll be helping myself and others.

I feel my best at or just below 150# - last time on the scale was 186, and I'm only 5'-4". Geez, I'm fat!

Phaedrus
31st December 2007, 21:34
So do we all post a flabby before pic?

hooptygoo
31st December 2007, 21:39
Does that mean if I gain weight I get paid? :doh

k-poppy
31st December 2007, 21:46
Dave, I guess i will join in on this. I have put on 40 pounds over the last 4 years or so. I am 6 feet tall and now weigh about 210. I would like to get down to about 190. Funny to have found this thread because I had thought about making this a resolution for the new year. But right now its off to the neighbors for some prime rib, seafood, cookies, beer, pies, chips, etc.:smoke

Im IN!!!!

POP

MakuaKane
31st December 2007, 21:57
Well, I would've taken the challenge but for some reason I already lost it. Stressed out, started dipping snuff (Cope with a capful of JD is wonderful!), drinking more coffee, drinking India Pale Ale, and eating as much chocolate as I like. Lost 25 pounds. Go figure.:doh

BWP 5p
31st December 2007, 22:39
I'll play.....I need something to motivate my fat azz:doh

At 57 and a 2 time Open Heart surgery survivor @ 5'7" and 205 = Premature death!

Doc said I needed to lose about 50#'s.....I'd settle for 35! It's really hard at my age because the metabolism seems to have shut down.
The irony of it all is I was a skinny kid and couldn't gain weight no matter what I did:doh
I'd guess we'd be looking at about a 1 horse gain for every ten pounds we lose!

Put me on the list and keep me honest.
Bruce

Sporting Lad
31st December 2007, 22:41
MakuaKane--You look fine in your avatar! Always stay just the way you are now. Or is that an old picture of you?

Sporting Lad
31st December 2007, 22:46
I'll play.....I need something to motivate my fat azz:doh
At 57 and a 2 time Open Heart surgery survivor @ 5'7" and 205 = Premature death!
Doc said I needed to lose about 50#'s.....I'd settle for 35! It's really hard at my age because the metabolism seems to have shut down.
The irony of it all is I was a skinny kid and couldn't gain weight no matter what I did:doh
I'd guess we'd be looking at about a 1 horse gain for every ten pounds we lose!
Put me on the list and keep me honest.
Bruce

I'm a lot like you. Just think: 5 more free horsepower! :wonderlan
Now if that's not motivation enough...? :D

dagsportster
31st December 2007, 22:49

Just weigh yourself tomorrow (or whenever you decide to start) and keep track of your weight. You don't have to post your starting weight if you don't want, and you can join at any time in the year, and I'll keep track of the collective pounds lost. Maybe once a week, people can post (or PM) an update and we can see how we're all doing. I'll post my status in my sig (updated weekly) and in this thread for the group.

My plan (which has worked for me before) is low-carb/Atkins. Since I live on carbs, cutting them out results in quick weight loss for me when I stick to it. This time, I'm going to start exercising, though (stationary bike) since I need to raise my HDL -- that is going to be the real challenge for me!

Irondrake77
31st December 2007, 23:15
what do I do when I'm tempted to eat a bag of chips? I love chips, and I can't eat chips without beer...Oh it's a vicious cycle!

Terp84Alum
31st December 2007, 23:21
Great idea! Good luck folks.

66impala
1st January 2008, 00:28
Im in! I was told by the doctor and the wife to shape up or ship out. I did the atkins 3yrs ago and did great but have also put it back on. I just joined the local gym 3days ago, so if you see a fat ass on the tread mill with a oxygen tank that will be me.

PaulDM
1st January 2008, 02:17
For all you guys needing to loose weight. Here is a way that will work doesn't cost a lot and will work. Start using Digestive Enzymes, there's different sources i like Garden of Life products. It takes you down to your natural weight pretty quickly and sets your digestive system up to work better and you burn off energy from better digested food instead of storing it as fat, that simple, try it..

:banana

Sporting Lad
1st January 2008, 02:20
I like the motto!

Just because you're a HOG doesn't mean you have to look like one.

SWMBO took one look at it and said, Yeah--

"Just because yer old man's a HOG doesn't mean you have to eat like a piggy!"

BWP 5p
1st January 2008, 17:16
OK Dave........log my starting LARD AZZ @ 206 !!!!!
I am a HOG:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh

I just hate starving and meaningless, mindless workouts........although....It will be nice to have more energy.....and start the upward spiral instead of the downward:clap

Sporting Lad
2nd January 2008, 08:15
OK.
New Year's Day.

204.6 (call it 205). :o

Too many parties over the festive season!

Dag-- Can you get this thread made into a 'sticky' so it's at the top in red?
I'm having a hard time finding it already....

Talk to you all again next week, if not sooner.

spanner_rash
2nd January 2008, 08:33
Here goes

235 start (Mostly waistband wobble)

Aiming for 200

Starting height 6'4".

Most excercise taken per day : Chewing lunch.

Gone
2nd January 2008, 09:14
I'm a small dude, but I have some flab around the waist I wanna get rid of too. Too many breakfasts at IHOP :yikes :frownthre I'm in for losing enough not to have to suck it in to the point of getting lightheaded at the beach this coming summer!

wataknobby
2nd January 2008, 12:10
I like it!!! Count me in. I lost 40 lbs last year (doctors orders) but 20 found it's way back!!! I want to drop about 30 lbs. 210 right now. Are we gonna post pics to help keep everyone honest(and motivated)?:clap

AussieGazza
2nd January 2008, 12:23
I've been watching this thread from when it was first posted. I'm in. 90 kg two days ago (198.4 lbs).

I was 75 kg a year ago but injuries and illness have taken their toll. Now getting back into things.

I have been on a low carb before and it has always worked for me. Aiming at 10 kg and 15 would be exceptional!

AussieGazza
2nd January 2008, 12:27
Starting height 6'4".

Do you plan to add or subtract height? :doh:doh:doh

dagsportster
2nd January 2008, 12:50
And we're off...I'm starting at 224 lbs as of yesterday (my last day of vacation before going back to work today). I had a bunch of use-or-lose vacation days to burn, so I've been off for 12 days and there's been too much of the wrong kind of food (cookies, cakes, breads) just lying about. At work, I'm not tempted since there isn't ready access to junk food.

I'm definitely doing Atkins again as I can quickly see results and that early success reinforces my will to continue. The killer for me is trying to increase my activity. I went for a 2 mile walk with the wife yesterday and worked out with the weight machine this morning, but I will admit that I hate exercising for exercise's sake.

In the next few days, I'll go through the thread and note who's in. Starting weight is good to have, but not necessary (in case you don't want to post that). It's only needed if you want to calculate your percentage lost (or goal as a %).

It might be fun to see what program has the most success, but the numbers would probably be too small to draw much of a conclusion, so if you're doing Atkins, South Beach, Weight Watchers or your own program, that might be helpful to know.

I think the best approach is to find a plan that works for you and stick to it without compromises or little "cheats". For me, this is Atkins, but I understand this diet may not be for everybody. Here's a fairly good writeup on it:

Web MD - Atkins Diet (http://www.webmd.com/diet/atkins-diet-what-it-is)

Terp84Alum
2nd January 2008, 13:08
I'll throw this out since this is what I used. You can sign up for a free account at FITDAY (http://www.fitday.com). You used this to track your food intake and exercise. You set weight goals and track that as well. The great thing about using this is you will see pretty quickly what foods to stay away from. Set goals for calorie, fat, carb, and protein intakes and see how you do and adjust to get there. It worked for me. Good luck everyone.

ScreamingEag1e
2nd January 2008, 13:22
1 Sep 07 - 246lbs
1 Jan 08 - 188lbs (that's right, 50+ lbs in 4 months)
1 Jun 08 - 160lbs

I am free of the blood preasure and cholesterol meds now, and I can see my dick and feet when I look down.

Dieting is NOT fun, but I have figured it out.

jrogers329
2nd January 2008, 14:03
Ok...today 1/2/08 224.5
Goal is 175 to 185

jrossty
2nd January 2008, 14:05
I'll throw this out since this is what I used. You can sign up for a free account at FITDAY (http://www.fitday.com). You used this to track your food intake and exercise. You set weight goals and track that as well. The great thing about using this is you will see pretty quickly what foods to stay away from. Set goals for calorie, fat, carb, and protein intakes and see how you do and adjust to get there. It worked for me. Good luck everyone.

Sweet, I signed up. Thanks Terp.
My stats/goals: 5/8 186 27 yrs old.

goals: lose 20 lbs by July 1st.

Signing up again at my local Ymca today... I used to play basketball a few times a week, and lift weights when I played ball. Now I work out at home, which is only a couple times a week, and not enough. So I plan on only drinking on the weekends now (at least heavily:D), and getting to the gym at least 3 days a week or more.
If this all works according to plan, I'll be looking good for the beach this summer :D:D :clap:clap

Terp84Alum
2nd January 2008, 14:31
Cool. If you want to get ballsy, make it public and post your username. I ended up buying the PC version for $20.

ScreamingEag1e
2nd January 2008, 15:58
ScreamingEag1e diet tips (I started this on 1 September 07 and this is what has worked for me)

First and Foremost: Eating is only necessary to sustain life, nothing more. It is a chore that takes precious time away from productive time. I tell myself this every time I am about to shovel something into my mouth.

Cost: Dieting can be more expensive than a normal diet, so be prepared.

Bad Habits: It takes about 25 days to mentally alter your eating habits.

Diets: People respond to commercial diets differently. If you try a certain diet and it doesn’t work (after 25 days) then try another. Before you proclaim a diet to be crap, be honest about how well you followed it and how much you “cheated”. Weight Watchers is the only commercial diet that has worked for me in the past. I am not on Weight Watchers now. As Terp84Alum mentioned, FITDAY is a great tracking program. I started with it, but don’t really need it anymore. As my habits changed, so has my willpower, it is stronger than my desire to eat now.

Nutrition: Read the food labels. High protein, high fiber, low sugar and low fat are what you want. Replace that first cup of coffee with a jolt of protein, i.e. a protein shake. Personally, I use Glucerna, which is found in the diabetic section of the pharmacy (no, I am not diabetic). When I eat a meal, I eat the protein first.

Portions: Gradually reduce the portions as the stomach shrinks. My wife and I share a meal at restaurants now. Pretty cool when the bill comes at the end of the meal.

What works for me: I eat small meals/snacks 5 – 7 times a day and a balanced dinner. Variety comes with the dinner meal. All other meals/snacks are pretty much the same every day. Again, I eat because I have to, not because I want to. I have STOPPED eating 3-4 hours before I go to bed, and I do not drink while eating (this washes un-digested food into the intestines, delaying that “full feeling”).

Snacks: Find at least 5 things that have nutritional value or are low in calories and replace the crap you usually snack on with them. Personally - Weight Watchers yogurt, low fat peanut butter (protein), low fat cottage cheese, splenda apple sauce, protein drinks, low fat pudding cups, non-fat Jell-O cups, fresh vegetables (no dip), low fat pretzels. It took me a while to get used to this stuff, but after 25 days, I don’t miss the crap I used to eat. You can actually have chips (Irondrake77) as long as you get the baked or low calorie ones. Watch out for the Olean, it’ll leak out of you.

Bread/Cheese/Mayo: These are the DEVIL. Avoid them at all costs. Substitute low fat tortillas for bread, substitute low fat mayo (or use mustard) if you must have it, and just forego the cheese (Subway is actually not too bad if you get turkey, cut out the cheese, sauce/mayo, and only order a 6 inch. Just load it up with the vegetables and lots of pickles, man I love pickles).

Soda/Pop: These are the DEVIL’s spawn. It doesn’t matter if it is “diet” soda. Avoid any drink that has calories (or carbonation). I used to drink 6-8, 20oz, Diet Pepsi’s a day. I now substitute with anything else that is “caffeine free/calorie free”, like flavored water, or decaf coffee. I haven’t had a carbonated drink since 1 September and it was like quitting smoking – SUCKS!!!

Beer/Alcohol: This is the DEVIL’s bride. It’s just empty calories, even the Lite-beer is not good. I know, that sucks too.

Butter/Margarine: The DEVIL’s playmate. Substitute with that “spray butter” stuff. It’s great on cooked vegetables and low-fat grits, and is near calorie free.

Splenda: Sugar substitute. I buy mine in the individual packages because it is easier to measure by the pack. You can always stuff your pockets at the restaurants too.

Salad: Salad is just a vehicle to your mouth for the DEVIL’S dressing. Instead of saturating the salad with the dressing, put it on the side in a cup. Then dip your fork in the dressing and subsequently stab the salad. You’ll end up consuming a fraction of the high calorie dressing, and will hardly notice a difference in the taste.

Soup: Clear broth soup is your lunch time “knight in shining armor” (see Nutrition above, it fits all the criteria). When you check the label, try to keep the calorie count below 150 per serving. Cream soups are at the opposite end of the nutrition spectrum, so stay away from them. I eat clear broth soup for lunch 4 - 5 days a week and Subway 1-2 days a week.

Supplements: Take a multi-vitamin every day (Flinstone’s Chewables) and Vitimin B-12 (this will help keep you from getting tired and lethargic as your diet changes).

Exercise: Try and do some kind of exercise (no matter how insignificant it may seem) every day. Adding lean muscle mass burns calories. I do have a membership at the YMCA (jrossty) but I can’t get there very often, so I threw an elliptical machine in the garage right next to the bike for the days I am too busy to make that drive to the Y.

Again, this is what has worked for me on this current diet, which really isn’t a diet any more, it’s just how I sustain myself. Between 1 Sep 07 and 1 Jan 08 I have lost 58lbs. I even lost 2lbs over the 4 day Christmas weekend, go figure. I am no longer taking blood pressure and cholesterol meds, and I feel great.

I’ll get before and after pictures loaded up tonight.

jrossty
2nd January 2008, 16:08
ScreamingEag1e diet tips (I started this on 1 September 07 and this is what has worked for me)

Between 1 Sep 07 and 1 Jan 08 I have lost 58lbs. I even lost 2lbs over the 4 day Christmas weekend, go figure. I am no longer taking blood pressure and cholesterol meds, and I feel great.

Iíll get before and after pictures loaded up tonight.[/COLOR]

Wow. Thats great that you're off the meds. I think the willpower thing will be my achille's heel. Although, as long as there isn't anything around the house that I can snack on, and no alcohol, I think I will be better off. Its going to be a royal pain in the @$$.

Irondrake77
2nd January 2008, 16:35

First and Foremost: Eating is only necessary to sustain life, nothing more. It is a chore that takes precious time away from productive time. I tell myself this every time I am about to shovel something into my mouth.

Cost: Dieting can be more expensive than a normal diet, so be prepared.

Bad Habits: It takes about 25 days to mentally alter your eating habits.

Diets: People respond to commercial diets differently. If you try a certain diet and it doesnít work (after 25 days) then try another. Before you proclaim a diet to be crap, be honest about how well you followed it and how much you ďcheatedĒ. Weight Watchers is the only commercial diet that has worked for me in the past. I am not on Weight Watchers now. As Terp84Alum mentioned, FITDAY is a great tracking program. I started with it, but donít really need it anymore. As my habits changed, so has my willpower, it is stronger than my desire to eat now.

Nutrition: Read the food labels. High protein, high fiber, low sugar and low fat are what you want. Replace that first cup of coffee with a jolt of protein, i.e. a protein shake. Personally, I use Glucerna, which is found in the diabetic section of the pharmacy (no, I am not diabetic). When I eat a meal, I eat the protein first.

Portions: Gradually reduce the portions as the stomach shrinks. My wife and I share a meal at restaurants now. Pretty cool when the bill comes at the end of the meal.

What works for me: I eat small meals/snacks 5 Ė 7 times a day and a balanced dinner. Variety comes with the dinner meal. All other meals/snacks are pretty much the same every day. Again, I eat because I have to, not because I want to. I have STOPPED eating 3-4 hours before I go to bed, and I do not drink while eating (this washes un-digested food into the intestines, delaying that ďfull feelingĒ).

Snacks: Find at least 5 things that have nutritional value or are low in calories and replace the crap you usually snack on with them. Personally - Weight Watchers yogurt, low fat peanut butter (protein), low fat cottage cheese, splenda apple sauce, protein drinks, low fat pudding cups, non-fat Jell-O cups, fresh vegetables (no dip), low fat pretzels. It took me a while to get used to this stuff, but after 25 days, I donít miss the crap I used to eat. You can actually have chips (Irondrake77) as long as you get the baked or low calorie ones. Watch out for the Olean, itíll leak out of you.

Bread/Cheese/Mayo: These are the DEVIL. Avoid them at all costs. Substitute low fat tortillas for bread, substitute low fat mayo (or use mustard) if you must have it, and just forego the cheese (Subway is actually not too bad if you get turkey, cut out the cheese, sauce/mayo, and only order a 6 inch. Just load it up with the vegetables and lots of pickles, man I love pickles).

Soda/Pop: These are the DEVILís spawn. It doesnít matter if it is ďdietĒ soda. Avoid any drink that has calories (or carbonation). I used to drink 6-8, 20oz, Diet Pepsiís a day. I now substitute with anything else that is ďcaffeine free/calorie freeĒ, like flavored water, or decaf coffee. I havenít had a carbonated drink since 1 September and it was like quitting smoking Ė SUCKS!!!

Beer/Alcohol: This is the DEVILís bride. Itís just empty calories, even the Lite-beer is not good. I know, that sucks too.

Salad: Salad is just a vehicle to your mouth for the DEVILíS dressing. Instead of saturating the salad with the dressing, put it on the side in a cup. Then dip your fork in the dressing and subsequently stab the salad. Youíll end up consuming a fraction of the high calorie dressing, and will hardly notice a difference in the taste.

Soup: Clear broth soup is your lunch time ďknight in shining armorĒ (see Nutrition above, it fits all the criteria). When you check the label, try to keep the calorie count below 150 per serving. Cream soups are at the opposite end of the nutrition spectrum, so stay away from them. I eat clear broth soup for lunch 4 - 5 days a week and Subway 1-2 days a week.

Supplements: Take a multi-vitamin every day (Flinstoneís Chewables) and Vitimin B-12 (this will help keep you from getting tired and lethargic as your diet changes).

Exercise: Try and do some kind of exercise (no matter how insignificant it may seem) every day. Adding lean muscle mass burns calories. I do have a membership at the YMCA (jrossty) but I canít get there very often, so I threw an elliptical machine in the garage right next to the bike for the days I am too busy to make that drive to the Y.

Again, this is what has worked for me on this current diet, which really isnít a diet any more, itís just how I sustain myself. Between 1 Sep 07 and 1 Jan 08 I have lost 58lbs. I even lost 2lbs over the 4 day Christmas weekend, go figure. I am no longer taking blood pressure and cholesterol meds, and I feel great.

Iíll get before and after pictures loaded up tonight.

This whole section was very helpful thanks.

loki03xlh
2nd January 2008, 17:06
I'm in too. Been planning on doing this anyways, might as well do it as a group.

Height: 5'10"
Starting Weight: 253
Ideal Weight: 195

Problem foods for me include: Mountain Dew, Budweiser, baked goods, fast food...

pquirk
2nd January 2008, 17:18
I'm at 195 and I'm shooting for 160. No commercial diets for me, just old fashioned burn off more than ya put it. I did it before back in '91 and kept it off until about three years ago when I gave up exercise time for play-with-the-kid time. I'm not going to give up playing but I have to exercise more. Hmm, I guess that means I'll have to work less :).

spanner_rash
2nd January 2008, 20:07
Do you plan to add or subtract height? :doh:doh:doh

When I took Her Majesty's shilling in '83 as a skinny kid I was 6'2. When she kicked my injured manky carcase out a few summers later I was 6'5. Now I am old and grey and a fat civvy, I am bending in the middle :laugh
So, maybe some abominable abdominals (my old drill pig called 'em that) will straighten up my posture and restore me to my full height.:p

Or maybe I'm just full of sh*t :laugh:laugh:laugh

(In my head I still hear "one more for the Queen, one more for the Corps", over and over again. :D Kinda keeps me going when I feel ready to quit)

srrice40
2nd January 2008, 20:38
Start Date:01/02/08
Height: 5'11"
weight: 270
Ideal weight: 170

I started loosing weight last year after I was diagnosed with Diabetes. I never knew how much crap I was putting into my body, that sure was a wake up call. I started at 326. I hope I never see that again.

gomorley
2nd January 2008, 20:43
Are you guys gonna post before and after pics??????????

ScreamingEag1e
2nd January 2008, 20:44
Height: 5'11"
weight: 270
Ideal weight: 170

I started loosing weight last year after I was diagnosed with Diabetes. I never knew how much crap I was putting into my body, that sure was a wake up call. I started at 326. I hope I never see that again.

Holy cow! you've dropped some serious weight. Keep it up. Congratulations!

DC in PHX
2nd January 2008, 20:52
oK, guys I am in too. I started my "diet" at the end of September and have lost 11 pounds (so put me down for a 11$ donation so far). my new year's resolution was to add more cardio to my workout. I love weight training, but hate the cardio stuff except for fun stuff like mountain bike riding and raquetball. I WILL USE MY NORDIC TRAK at least twice a week.

My goal is to get a less weeble like shape so I can actually see the muscles I have worked so hard to develop:doh:shhhh:doh:shhhh

DC

addertooth
2nd January 2008, 21:28
Hey,
If I gain weight does it mean a charity owes me cash? It would be a great way to finance another engine upgrade ;) LOL

mus
2nd January 2008, 21:41
Yep! Wish you posted this last year. Lost 26 kg (57 pounds) last year since feb ī07. Still want to lose about 20 pounds. Iīll watch from here, keep on movinī!

sycle1
2nd January 2008, 22:47
Okay I could loose a few kilo's that have crept on since the last Atkins plan, however I wonder about the relevence of measuring body weight.
I think a photo of everyone with shirt off before and after would be more telling, considering our fat goes straight on the gut.
What do ya reckon?

BWP 5p
2nd January 2008, 22:50
Here's my fat azz......NO.....You don't get a profile shot either!
It scares ME :doh:laugh

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/275000-275999/275850_124_full.jpg

66impala
2nd January 2008, 22:53
If I have to take a picture of myself without a shirt on, were going to have to move these posts to the MENS section. No woman or child should accidentally see these pictures.

misterT
2nd January 2008, 22:59
O.K. I am in too, I am 5'11" and weigh 216 want to get down to 185. I was down to 193 on the Atkins diet untill I got married two years ago. She is a great cook but she is finally starting to listen after 23 LBS.

Rebil79
2nd January 2008, 23:02
I too am looking to drop some fat. I dont usually go by weight per say. I like to take measurements around my gut, because I hit the weights pretty hard and the scale can be decieving (sp) since muscle weighs more than fat. That being said I would like to loose about 4 inches around the gut (I measure at the belly button, and usually when I first get up before I eat or drink anything) by the end of May. Nov 1 had a measurement of 44 1/4, checked in early Dec it was around 43 1/2, havent dared to check again with the holidays.

By the way, I weigh in at 230ish at a height of 6'

Rebil

bdbecker
2nd January 2008, 23:21
Count me in too!

Height: 6'3"
Weight: 285
Goal Weight: 235

Maybe a way to keep track would be to put all the participants into an excel file and just have a report in on Wednesday? I'd be willing to help maintain this (leaves me no excuse to not participate). Then we could post each week and cheer each other on.

Example (or something like this):
NAME........Start.........Current.....Lost......To Goal
bdbecker....285............282..........3......... ...47
srrice40.....270............265..........5........ ....95
-----------------------------------------------------
Totals...... 555............547..........8.............142

And no, I wont be posting any topless photos either. That would just be wrong...

ScreamingEag1e
3rd January 2008, 02:22
As promised.

Before, August 2007
and
Current, December 2007

bills bikes
3rd January 2008, 02:57
ok here it is 57-5'9"-222 now was 240 on 11/12/07 goal 180 been only eating tv dinners twice a day as i work from 11:30 am to 8: pm i eat at work not at home and just trying to keep it under a 1000 cal. a day its working for me so far

dagsportster
3rd January 2008, 13:19
I keep seeing these commercials for "Alli" (pronouncy ally like Allied-invasion, not alee like Mohammed Ali). Alli is the new FDA approved OTC fat-blocker. I read a bunch of the promotion materials on myalli.com (http://www.myalli.com/), but I think I'll pass on this treatment.

For one, fat isn't my problem -- it's carbs. For another, the side-effects (now called "treatment effects") are not pleasant -- loose stools, oily spotting (blech), and urgency. 3 pills a day at $2/each isn't cheap either and it doesn't do anything to control urges and hunger pangs. That to me is the best part of Atkins -- once you get off the carbs, your blood sugar levels out and you get off the rollercoaster of hunger and cravings. It's worked very well for me in the past, but we all have our food demons.

cgp-1200R
3rd January 2008, 14:02
I have been choping myself since march of 07 lost 50 lbs. went back up 10 during the holidays but should be able to get rid of that and more soon. Goal weight 180. 20 more to go. wish me luck, hope to be there by St Pats Day

Sporting Lad
4th January 2008, 05:26
I've done this before a couple years ago. The Wife is a low carb dieter. Not Atkins, so much as Heller, if you know that one. Also looking at the Low Glycemic Index foods--there's a bit more leeway there--not so much the diet nazi as Atkins, but it worked last time. Also, I was doing a lot of aerobics training for ultra-marathon bicycle racing. Our downfall came when we went off touring Ireland in the summer of '05 where we were on the "Guinness and Pubgrub Diet" for a month. When we got back home again, we failed to return to our old "way of eating". Summers of '06 and '07 we did a lot of MC touring.
It's harder to stay with any dieting on a road trip, eh? Six months after our return from Ireland I'd already gained over 25 pounds. Then I seemed to stabilize, or at least slow down my rapid growth spurt. Except for the 6 pounds I put on over Zmas.

I'm having a hard time setting a goal weight this time. When I look at those
BMI charts I just have to laugh. According to them I should weigh 155 pounds! But wait--that's not fair--all the men in my family have been heavy-boned musclemen. Not the tallest of men, but not fat men either.
We could get below 150 if they put us in one of those POW camps and we lost all our muscle mass. I have a friend who has the bones of a bird--they may even be hollow--and practically no muscle whatsoever. He can eat and eat and eat and never gain an ounce! He's always 140. Is that fair? See, it's all in the genetics.
His family album they look like birds on a wire. :laugh

The last time I was in the 150s was the summer of 1967 when I was in the Hippies. That 'herbal' diet we followed really can be a lot of fun,:wonderlan but one of the side-effects was this thing they called "The Munchies" which, combined with my already well developed tendency toward "The Beeries" resulted in a quick ten pounds, then no matter how much running, backpacking, and whathaveyou I did, I could not halt the ceaseless march to 200. I became addicted to all the wrong stuff.
I find I can do the lo/no carb thing for a couple months--fortunately I'm mostly a carnivore, and don't miss alot of veg-inedibles when I'm not being force-fed them. Cheese, eggs, MEAT, all that I can eat, no problemmo.
But I miss my pastas and other refined wheat/sugar products.

So I'm gonna set my "goal weight" at 175. If I ever made it to 165 I imagine I'd be right tickled. Maybe later. One pound at a time, eh?

Sporting Lad
4th January 2008, 05:45
Whoopsy! I forgot this this goes a year. A lot can happen in a year.
I don't know why I was thinking 3 months when I set that goal weight.
I know 165 is attainable by Jan of '09 (!!) so long as I can stay focused
(he said confidently).... :shhhh

wandrur
4th January 2008, 06:07
I'm in! Currently 29 years old, 6'2", 230 lbs. My goal--205 or below.

I'm sorta hitting the diet approach, but I'm shooting more for portion control and semi-healthy eating. The stationary bike arrives tomorrow, and I plan to incorporate an every-other-day workout routine with bike and Bowflex. Really, weight isn't such a big deal...it's being so soft on the outside that drives me crazy. Would be nice to be without love handles for once in my life. I'm just plain tired of looking like this. I was an athlete in high school (6-man football, basketball, and track & field), and not a bad one, either. Since then, I've developed exercise-induced asthma, so it's time to get my lungs and surrounding body back into functional mode.

So, count me in.

BWP 5p
5th January 2008, 03:54
downfall came when we went off touring Ireland in the summer of '05 where we were on the "Guinness and Pubgrub Diet" for a month. :laugh:laugh:laugh:laug When we got back home again, we failed to return to our old "way of eating". Summers of '06 and '07 we did a lot of MC touring.;););););)
It's harder to stay with any dieting on a road trip, eh? Si;););););)

I'm having a hard time setting a goal weight this time. When I look at those
BMI charts I just have to laugh. According to them I should weigh 155 pounds! But wait--that's not fair--all the men in my family have been heavy-boned musclemen. Not the tallest of men, but not fat men either.
We could get below 150 if they put us in one of those POW camps and we lost all our muscle mass. :laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh ME too!!!!!I have a friend who has the bones of a bird--they may even be hollow--and practically no muscle whatsoever. He can eat and eat and eat and never gain an ounce! He's always 140. Is that fair? See, it's all in the genetics.
His family album they look like birds on a wire. :laugh

The last time I was in the 150s was the summer of 1967 when I was in the Hippies. That 'herbal' diet we followed really can be a lot of fun,:wonderlan but one of the side-effects was this thing they called "The Munchies" which, combined with my already well developed tendency toward "The Beeries" :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap I became addicted to all the wrong stuff.
I find I can do the lo/no carb thing for a couple months--fortunately I'm mostly a carnivore, and don't miss alot of veg-inedibles when I'm not being force-fed them. Cheese, eggs, MEAT, all that I can eat, no problemmo.
But I miss my pastas and other refined wheat/sugar products.

So I'm gonna set my "goal weight" at 175. If I ever made it to 165 I imagine I'd be right tickled. Maybe later. One pound at a time, eh?

YEE HAW If I get to 175 people will think I'm Dying!!!!!!:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh

Irondrake77
5th January 2008, 04:20
Well I should be done enough with the cold I've had this past week so that I can finally start. The only thing is when I start my diet and work-out I usually only look at inches lost, not weight. I only want to lose inches in two places and gain muscle everywhere else :D as muscle weighs more then fat. Can I still lose inches and weight or is it one or the other?

Old_Goat57
5th January 2008, 05:17
Count me in. My personal goal is to drop 20 pounds from current 166 pounds.

In 30 to 60 days?

I have always felt the best at 145-150.

Wife and I are doing Weight Watchers, because we can actually lose weight eating food with flavor.

Maybe we can come up with the XL Diet (Yeah, the rest of the world will think it means Extra Large! LOL)

Ole
5th January 2008, 13:48
I need to do something as well. I did this (http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=78605) last year but I fell way off the wagon after the Mrs. decided to stop working out. We were working out together to keep each other motivated. I've always found it easier to have someone else on the journey with me to help motivate or to just understand what it takes or what I'm going through.

I've put some of that weight back on and I need to get it back off plus some.

bsporty
5th January 2008, 13:52
I am in!I want to be in one of those bikini contests for my 30th birthday!
Great idea for the donation too Dag!You rock!

Scooter_Trash
5th January 2008, 17:01
What the hell. I'm in. Especially since doing it alone at working.

Current
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 188.4 lbs
Body Fat: 26%

Goal
By 6/1/08
Weight: 160 lbs.
I haven't weighed that since just out of HS.

Scooter_Trash
5th January 2008, 17:03
On another note, I think this needs to be moved to health and fitness. It'd be a hell of a lot easier to find over there.

khaskins
5th January 2008, 17:09
Already down 2 lbs. Eating oatmeal for breakfast, and one meal is a salad. Drinking lots of water, no sodas. No snacking, or any food after 7:00pm. Cutting back on the beer. Although I did not drink much to begin with.

srrice40
5th January 2008, 17:43
Already down 2 lbs. Eating oatmeal for breakfast, and one meal is a salad. Drinking lots of water, no sodas. No snacking, or any food after 7:00pm. Cutting back on the beer. Although I did not drink much to begin with.

good choice for Breakfast,keeps the pipes clean. I eat the same or a small cup of yogurt. I miss beer ! :frownone ever since I have been on my meds for Diabetes, I cant drink any.

tinyflower
5th January 2008, 17:51
I'm a small dude, but I have some flab around the waist I wanna get rid of too. Too many breakfasts at IHOP :yikes :frownthre I'm in for losing enough not to have to suck it in to the point of getting lightheaded at the beach this coming summer!

sign me up too baby! I'll do CPR if you pass out at the beach!:D

Great thread! I am ready for 2008

dagsportster
5th January 2008, 19:10
OK, gang, we're getting organized now! I count 36 people on board!

I've gone through the thread and tried to accumulate a list of who's in and who's posted some numbers (see the link in my sig below). Starting weights and goal weights are great, but the only "required" numbers for our little challenge are in the highlighted columns (the number of lbs you want to lose and the number you've lost to-date). Please review the list and if I've missed anyone (or added anyone by mistake), please PM me and let me know.

As we start to get some results, it might be fun to start ranking the group as some extra motivation. I'll ask the mods to make this thread a sticky in the Health & Fitness forum. You might also want to "subscribe" to it to see updates. I'll keep a link to the thread, and the results spreadsheet, in my sig too.

A few people have asked about losing inches instead of pounds. I understand that completely -- when I lost 40 lbs a few years ago, I also lost 5 inches from my waist. That was what was really noticeable. In order to try to keep things on an apples-to-apples basis, though, pounds are easier to work with for the group, so if could play along in pounds that would be great -- but feel free to celebrate your loss of inches with the group!

Please take a look at the web page and let me know (PM is probably best) if you have any corrections.

I'd like to pick a day as a weight-in "reporting" date. I'm thinking Monday would be good since it might help keep us honest on the weekend knowing that Monday is the day of atonement.

I'm off to do some lo-carb grocery shopping. It's tough to start a diet when you don't have the right foods. I've been just cutting portions for the past four days (lost 2 lbs), but now I'm going strictly off the carb-grid in earnest.

Hang in there everyone!

dagsportster
5th January 2008, 20:53
That's weird -- my sig doesn't post anymore?! Well, here's the link anyhow...

36 People have joined! Check out our progress: Weight Loss Stats Page (http://homepage.mac.com/dagruber/.Public/XLFWeights.htm)

tandk1597
5th January 2008, 21:29
Who's up for a challenge and shedding some of those holiday (or plain lazy) pounds this year?

I lost a bunch of weight a few years ago, but slowly it's been creeping back on, only because I've gotten lazy. I was trying on a jacket (after Christmas sales) and looked at myself in the mirror today and said -- ugh, man, you look like hell with all that extra weight.

Now I'm a stubborn SOB and when I get my mind to do something, I do it or die trying (and I'm still alive). So whether anyone wants to join me in this quest to shed the fat or not, I'll take it off. But I'm challenging any of you other lazy asses to join me. What I'd like to do is keep track of our collective weight loss. At the end of the year, we all donate $1 for every pound lost to charity. Now, maybe that sounds like a disincentive, but really, would you spend $50 to lose 50 lbs? I would! Imagine if we could collectively lose 500 pounds or a thousand and donate the money to a worthy cause in the XLF's name?

We can support each other with exercise tips, food suggestions or just to commiserate about how much we miss cheese fries and jelly donuts.

So who's up for the challenge? Just because you're a HOG doesn't mean you have to look like one. Your Sporty will thank you!

Dave

O'm in, but can I change my name to charity?

Scooter_Trash
5th January 2008, 21:38
That's weird -- my sig doesn't post anymore?! Well, here's the link anyhow...

36 People have joined! Check out our progress: Weight Loss Stats Page (http://homepage.mac.com/dagruber/.Public/XLFWeights.htm)

Sigs only appear once per page, usually.

Ole
6th January 2008, 00:47
Stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid stoo-pid me...

I'm all thinking, "Hey it's 'game on' come Monday so why not go out in style?" So what do I do? I go to a :censor-ing KFC buffet for dinner this evening. :censor! It's this type of thinking that got me to where I was a year ago, and almost am now. :censor I'm pissed at myself...

AussieGazza
6th January 2008, 00:53
Can you drop my loss aim back to 22 lbs please. 33 lbs would get me back to my lightest weight ever and I am also lifting weights again, which has stalled my weight loss, but not my waist reduction.

ScreamingEag1e
6th January 2008, 00:56
.......... stoo-pid me...

I'm all thinking, "Hey it's 'game on' come Monday so why not go out in style?" So what do I do? I go to a :censor-ing KFC buffet for dinner this evening. :censor! It's this type of thinking that got me to where I was a year ago, and almost am now. :censor I'm pissed at myself...

Hey, tomorrow is a new day. Get up 20 minutes early, exercise a little and start again. You can do this.

Sporting Lad
6th January 2008, 01:04
Wow, thanks for setting this up. The spreadsheet thingy looks great. :wonderlan
So Mondays are weigh in days.
But wait-- How can the participants enter their #s onto the data pg?
Am I missing something? Enlighten, please.
SL
ps-- How did you get that pic of me in my yellow tea shirt? :laugh

myrl883
6th January 2008, 03:44
But wait-- How can the participants enter their #s onto the data pg?
Am I missing something? Enlighten, please.
SL

PM your weekly weight to Dave - he'll update the spreadsheet, and keep it available in his sig line for all to see.:wonderlan

Sporting Lad
6th January 2008, 05:01
Roight, then. :o

ParrotHead
6th January 2008, 06:02
After sitting down and eating a box of crackers and port wine cheese while watching the Steelers loose, I generally feel like crap. Add me please. Currently 253, goal of 200.

1fast2liter
6th January 2008, 07:09
what the hell add me.. current 267 was up to 290 ...i had surgery on a torn acl in september was at 252.. i wear a size 38-40 in jeans with a belt. would be happy at a 36 waist size......but i would be happy at 230... i used to power lift and fight in the ufc thats hom a tore my acl 4 yrs ago.... and i was at 230 with 5.5%body fat.....

current pic as of about a month ago...
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k162/1fast2liter/harleyparts.jpg

my weakness is pepsi and steak..pizza,home made mac and cheese lazanya and other pastas..i can drink a 24 pak in 3 days or less.

so i would like to lose 30 pounds or more.i am also 5'11"

current.................goal...........total
267.......................230or less...37

i think cutting down on soda and eating more greens will do me a world of good.

wandrur
6th January 2008, 10:03
Well I should be done enough with the cold I've had this past week so that I can finally start. The only thing is when I start my diet and work-out I usually only look at inches lost, not weight. I only want to lose inches in two places and gain muscle everywhere else :D as muscle weighs more then fat. Can I still lose inches and weight or is it one or the other?

Jeez, I can't imagine what those two placed might be... :D

The discussion of losing weight or inches is one that depends more on your starting point. Sure, dropping some fat will reduce your weight, but if you're working out and building muscle, you'll level your weight back out. However, if you're, say, 40 pounds overweight and you go on a working out and dieting approach, you'll lose both inches and weight more than likely.

Of course, that doesn't really answer anything, does it? :laugh

wandrur
6th January 2008, 10:12

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I got all excited about getting my exercise bike yesterday, and what do I do? Go buy a large pizza, wings, cinnamon sticks, and two 2-liters of Pepsi. I be an idiot, but I did use the bike last night, and I used it again tonight along with a workout. So I'm trying.

barnes138
6th January 2008, 11:31
Count me in!

Age 34
Current weight 209
Desired weight 195

I know it doesn't sound like much, but I work 12 hour shifts, bounce between day and night shift.. yeah, excuses, but I need some will power not to snack while working and the motivation to get up and go work out even though my work days are long.

flhtrick
6th January 2008, 12:29
Count me in , I need to cut some pounds this year and it will make my bike faster, just like finding 25 lbs. of stuff to cut off the bike.

195lbs.

need to be 170lbs.

Rick

dagsportster
6th January 2008, 14:33
Update for Sunday, January 6, 2008

The thread is now a sticky in the Health & Fitness Forum (thanks, Bert!).

I'm working on a way for everyone to be able to update the spreadsheet themselves without some Klown :p coming in and making everyone weigh 2,000 lbs. For now, just PM me your updates, corrections, etc. and I'll post them right away.

Although Monday is the official weigh-in day, you can send me incremental updates if you like. I weigh my self daily, first thing in the morning. If you've hit a milestone or just want to show off, let us all know!

We're up to 39 participants and nearing the half-ton mark for overall weight loss -- that's great! That averages out to 35 lbs per person. I'm shooting for 44, but to put it into perspective, that extra 35 lbs that we're carrying collectively equates to carrying one of these with us 24/7, whether we're climbing stairs, getting out of bed, walking our dogs or riding our bikes!

What weighs 35 lbs?

This office chair:
http://www.restaurant-services.com/images/chair/Chair_455_030C5.jpg

This fish:
http://mamamiafishing.com/100_7717.jpg

This wheel AND tire:
http://ctny.audiworld.com/mark/s4/wheels/dsc03556.jpg

Four gallons of milk:
http://www.gohuckyourself.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/milk.jpg

No wonder my back feels so much better when I lose the weight! :doh

I still need goals for the following people (just a number of lbs is fine if you don't want to post your current weight):

66impala
bsporty
DC in PHX
Irondrake77
joakim_hb
Ole
Rebil79
rickxx
sycle1
tandk1597
tinyflower

Be strong today all you NFL fans! For me, since I'm on Atkins, I can eat all the wings I want (not slathered in breading or a sugary sauce), but I stay away from the chips and beer. If you've got to drink, try a whiskey or vodka -- they have no carbs.

The problem with any alcohol on a diet is that alcohol is a fuel and is readily burned. If you have any in your blood, your body will burn that first and anything else you've eaten will be STORED as FAT.

Thanks everyone,
Dave

Scooter_Trash
6th January 2008, 16:48
Tips are always great!

And thanks for the incentive Dave. 4 gallons of milk, wow!

As for this morning, I did ok. As most of you probably know, firemen eat pretty well. Our house typically eats breakfast together on any shift that falls on a weekend. Like most families, it's encouraged that you eat together. Luckily they wanted french toast and I'm the french toast guy. I managed to sneak in some 2% milk instead of the usual whole, so that made it a little healthier. I stuck to my guns and only ate two slices of french toast, 3 pieces of bacon and some grape juice. The food at the fire house is going to be the hardest part of the diet for me.

Maybe I'll be able to turn it around. The rest of the crew will see me loosing weight decide to start eating better too.

DC in PHX
6th January 2008, 19:13
I started my sort of diet not tool long ago and my doc advised me not to weigh myself very often. He reccomends once or twice a month because it makes your progress more noticable. If you weigh yourself everyday, you may become frustrated if you do not drop as fast as you expect or even gain a tiny bit.

Seems to work for me so far, but I guess it depends on your personalilty.

DC

Julebrus
6th January 2008, 21:23
okok, im in!

Start 220lb
Goal 187lb
difference 33lb

starting 7.january 2008 :clap:clap

where do i sign up for the 2008 XL Forum Weight Loss Challenge?

Irondrake77
7th January 2008, 01:46
Finally over my cold so I can start training again.

Starting weight: 238

Goal weight: 180

If it matters at all
Hgt: 5'7

I plan on trying to go by inches also.

waist: 38
goal: 32

Thanks for the help

IronDrake

acarbonell
7th January 2008, 02:59
Another to count in.

Here are my stats:
5'10''
Current weight: 213

Good luck all!

Alex

CaptEvo
7th January 2008, 03:12
Finally over my cold so I can start training again.

Starting weight: 238

If it matters at all
Hgt: 5'7

I plan on trying to go by inches also.

waist: 38
goal: 32

Thanks for the help

IronDrake

You do know you have to give up beer right? :p

Irondrake77
7th January 2008, 03:22
You do know you have to give up beer right? :p

NEVER!!!!

okay..maybe for a while

I'll have a Banana instead!!
:banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana

Maxanimal
7th January 2008, 03:57
age 50...better then the alternative
weight 294..oh hell
goal 240...for now

Desired weight loss
about six gallons of milk.

Good luck everyone

spanner_rash
7th January 2008, 08:30
okok, im in!

Start 220lb
Goal 187lb
difference 33lb

starting 7.january 2008 :clap:clap

where do i sign up for the 2008 XL Forum Weight Loss Challenge?

First post? Welcome to the forum from Manchester England, and good luck with the weight loss :D

Ole
7th January 2008, 13:48
You do know you have to give up beer right? :pNEVER!!!!

okay..maybe for a while

I'll have a Banana instead!!
<dancing nanners>

Dude I honestly feel like you do about beer. I did this whole f-ing thing last year and lost 65 pounds. One of the ways that I did it was to NOT buy beer to have in the house. I basically restricted myself to Jim Beam with one exception. Every Friday on my way home from work I stop at a local German restaurant and have one liter of really good German beer. It's my treat to myself. I continued that practice while I was getting in shape and I still dropped the weight.

I've fallen WAY off the wagon as far as this whole thing is concerned. I found it hard to give a sh*t when my wife doesn't give a sh*t. I've finally decided that I need to do it regardless of what she does. So here's my information for the challenge:

Height: 6'-3" (no I don't plan on this changing)

Current Weight: 260.5 lbs.
Goal Weight: 200 lbs.

Current Waist Measurement: 38"
Goal Waist Measurement: 34"

dja1340
7th January 2008, 14:25
Count me in.

Currently: 6-0 218
Goal: 195
Method: Increase exercise-cut back calories

Donz5oh
7th January 2008, 16:35
I'm in.

Age - 37
Height - 5' 9"
Waist - 38
Current weight - 240 lbs.
Target waist - 32-34
Target weight - 185 lbs.

I don't plan on doing any diets, just restricting what I eat and exercising every day at least 45 min. When I was in the Corps, I was a gym rat. Lifted weights six days a week and had a 30" waist. I ate at least six times a day and half of that was at fast food places. I honestly believe that a combination of smaller portions and more exercise is the best plan, at least for me.

Now that I'm single again, I need to make myself all pretty for the ladies.:banana

Scooter_Trash
7th January 2008, 17:09
My Monday weigh in weight:

Dave, this is getting pretty big. Is there anything I can do to help? If you can't figure out how to let us make the changes in the spreadsheet ourselves, you're going to be dealing with a lot of data.

Ole
7th January 2008, 18:03
...I don't plan on doing any diets, just restricting what I eat and exercising every day at least 45 min. ...
That's exactly the way that I go about it. I eat/drink almost anything that I want but really pay attention to the quantities that I put in. I was the same way as you when I was earning my living as a grunt; eat, eat, eat, eat, eat all day long...but I was working those calories off for sure.

1fast2liter
7th January 2008, 18:04
monday weigh in in the morning.......right around 257.....

1fast2liter
7th January 2008, 18:09
if people feel the need to cheat i had one diettision tell me that you could eat a small bag of chips or somthing like that during the day or one sandwich..... the problem i have with adkins is i love potatoes weather baked friend mashed or boiled......my weak point is pepsi... i love pepsi.. any sugestions?

Ole
7th January 2008, 18:49
if people feel the need to cheat i had one diettision tell me that you could eat a small bag of chips or somthing like that during the day or one sandwich..... the problem i have with adkins is i love potatoes weather baked friend mashed or boiled......my weak point is pepsi... i love pepsi.. any sugestions?

Potatoes are not bad...too much is bad. Carbohydrates themselves are not bad...too much is bad. One thing I did is to switch to yams and bake them like I would a regular spud. I don't put butter (or anything else) on them since they have a wonderful flavor of their own.

As far as the Pepsi goes I don't know what to tell you other than to try to quit pop altogether; especially caffeinated pops since caffeine is a diuretic.

AussieGazza
7th January 2008, 19:48
8/7/09 191.5 lbs.

Beat my plateau!!!!! Yay.

Suggestion on pepsi etc: Cut back on it. It looks like it gave me a kidney stone in the past and my Dr suggested I remove it from my diet. Struggled for first few days but now not drinking it SO MUCH has really made a difference.

ParrotHead
7th January 2008, 20:09
No change here, however, since I signed up late Saturday eve, its only been 36 hrs.

Donz5oh
7th January 2008, 20:33
Potatoes are not bad...too much is bad. Carbohydrates themselves are not bad...too much is bad. One thing I did is to switch to yams and bake them like I would a regular spud. I don't put butter (or anything else) on them since they have a wonderful flavor of their own.

As far as the Pepsi goes I don't know what to tell you other than to try to quit pop altogether; especially caffeinated pops since caffeine is a diuretic.

I'm contemplating dying fat and happy rather than give up my coffee :doh

ScreamingEag1e
7th January 2008, 20:56

Decaf Baby, Decaf.

Scooter_Trash
7th January 2008, 21:10
There is nooo way I'm giving up coffee. It's really my only vice and I'm sticking to it. I drink so much water during the day that I think it balances out. Well, that my excuse anyway.

Ole
7th January 2008, 21:31

Trust me I've thought the same before...I need my two cups of Folgers Colombian in the morning. The key is this; for every 8 oz. of caffeinated liquid you drink you need to drink an extra 8-10 oz. of water.

In doing my reading on all of this in the past I've come upon the following information. The primary function of your liver is to metabolize fat. When your kidneys aren't operating at 100% (ie. you haven't consumed enough non-caffeinated liquids...like...you know...water) then your liver backs off from it's primary function of metabolizing fat and begins to assist the kidneys. The average person is doing extremely well if they drink a gallon or more of water per day. Ice water will actually help you even more. Your body now has to burn even more calories just trying to warm it up in your gut.

These are things that worked well for me in the past (last year) and I'm now doing them again. I drink about a gallon and a half of water per day, not including what I drink during my workouts, and that's gone by about 4:00 PM. I can't drink a lot of water after that or I'm up at night to mark my territory.

Irondrake77
7th January 2008, 23:29
Dude I honestly feel like you do about beer. I did this whole f-ing thing last year and lost 65 pounds. One of the ways that I did it was to NOT buy beer to have in the house. I basically restricted myself to Jim Beam with one exception. Every Friday on my way home from work I stop at a local German restaurant and have one liter of really good German beer. It's my treat to myself. I continued that practice while I was getting in shape and I still dropped the weight.

I've fallen WAY off the wagon as far as this whole thing is concerned. I found it hard to give a sh*t when my wife doesn't give a sh*t. I've finally decided that I need to do it regardless of what she does.

Yes, I love beer. I love Yeungling, but that is 100% liquid bread. I have heard that Guinness is really good and there's even a diet where all you drink is guiness. I couldn't do that though. I'm just gonna have to suck it up until I get at least halfway through the year and my metabolism gets higher so I can burn a beer faster.

Yes the wife doesn't help me either, but I'm the one that has to lose weight. :shhhh

dagsportster
8th January 2008, 01:05
Alright you Chipmunks, gather 'round...

We're starting to get some early numbers and some great results! I've gotten progress reports from 10 people so far, so I've started a Leader (or Loser) Board. Check out the Stats Page (http://homepage.mac.com/dagruber/.Public/XLFWeights.htm) for a look! If you're on the board - congrats for the early progress! Here's a sugar-free banana :banana for you! If not, don't be discouraged -- this is a long road and it's still early in the game.

A few people have mentioned the importance of staying hydrated -- that is SO true when dieting. Unless you've got a heart or kidney condition that is causing you to retain fluid, you really need to make sure your giving your system enough water to metabolize all that fat. I drink a lot of plain water or those Fruit2-O drinks (with Splenda). Sugar and simple starches are pure evil and will cause your blood sugar to rise and fall like a rollercoaster.

Well, I'm off to lift for a bit. Don't forget you can send updates at any time and remember, think before you eat!

Dave

Weo
8th January 2008, 02:39
Hey all, Weo here.

I posted this about a year ago: Weo's Weight loss tips... (http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=48613)

I've recently spent a lot of time with my father, as he had minor surgery that had major complications due to 1. waiting 10 years to do the procedure, and 2. being significantly overweight (67 years old, 265 lbs., 5'11).

Since his surgery, I have helped him follow some of the tips I've mentioned in the above link to lose weight. Although he vowed to give up making his own meals many years ago, I have been able to make him hearty, tasty meals, as well as show him tasty, proportionally acceptable meals from fast food restaurants for when I'm gone (unfortunately, many restaurants my mother prefers my father doesn't due to the difference in cultures, and work delegates what time she can cook for him). So far he's lost 20 lbs since November, but requires more attention after the initial 2 weeks of weight loss because of metabolism adaptability and reduced capacity for exercise during this stage of his recovery process.

I may add some addendum's to my tips later next month, such as my opinion that premade/processed foods add so much sugar that a small, bad tasting meal often has twice the calories as a reasonable sized fresh, home-made, fatty and tasty meal. Also, regularity of meal times versus random eating schedules for "not-so-busy" individuals complicating meal proportion size due to "hungry ordering".

Good luck with your efforts all! :)

myrl883
8th January 2008, 04:28
Just PM'd my weigh-in. Sounds like most of us are doing great!

Remember not to get discouraged, guys - it comes off fast for the first couple of weeks.

myrl883
8th January 2008, 04:31

Good advice! I bought some sweet potatoes last week, for the first time in years. Nuke or bake one of those, and they're sweet enough that they're a bit of a treat on their own.

Shadowdog500
8th January 2008, 05:15
I don't know if you need another data point but here goes.

I started dieting in Jan 07. Start weight 350lb. Actually, I was a little more than that but 350lb. is where the doctor's scale stopped. (Not joking!)

Today I am 95lb. lighter at 255lb. My goal is to be anywhere under 200lb., and I hope to be there sometime this summer.

I was always a fairly active guy even at 350+lb. but now that I have been riding my bicycle and walking every day for a year my energy level is soaring. When I started I was literally winded riding my bike to the end of my street and back (1/8 mile) Now I take 9 mile rides and 5 mile walks when the weather is nice and when I get back I’m not winded at all.

I have Kashi oatmeal for breakfast, a salad for lunch, and whatever my wife makes for dinner in moderation. I still have a slice or two of pizza with a beer or two a couple times a month but limit myself to two. I mostly try to eat healthy foods.

Just bought a Harley and started going out dancing with my wife on Friday nights. Life is good!!!!

Sorry for the long post but I am feeling pretty good right now, even if I am still the heaviest one here.

Chris

wandrur
8th January 2008, 21:16

I started dieting in Jan 07. Start weight 350lb. Actually, I was a little more than that but 350lb. is where the doctor's scale stopped. (Not joking!)

Today I am 95lb. lighter at 255lb. My goal is to be anywhere under 200lb., and I hope to be there sometime this summer.

I was always a fairly active guy even at 350+lb. but now that I have been riding my bicycle and walking every day for a year my energy level is soaring. When I started I was literally winded riding my bike to the end of my street and back (1/8 mile) Now I take 9 mile rides and 5 mile walks when the weather is nice and when I get back Iím not winded at all.

I have Kashi oatmeal for breakfast, a salad for lunch, and whatever my wife makes for dinner in moderation. I still have a slice or two of pizza with a beer or two a couple times a month but limit myself to two. I mostly try to eat healthy foods.

Just bought a Harley and started going out dancing with my wife on Friday nights. Life is good!!!!

Sorry for the long post but I am feeling pretty good right now, even if I am still the heaviest one here.

Chris

That's fantastic! Congratulations on your great progress, and best of luck for more!

Donz5oh
8th January 2008, 21:42

I was always a fairly active guy even at 350+lb. but now that I have been riding my bicycle and walking every day for a year my energy level is soaring. When I started I was literally winded riding my bike to the end of my street and back (1/8 mile) Now I take 9 mile rides and 5 mile walks when the weather is nice and when I get back Iím not winded at all.

Chris

Long post? Holy crap, I can only hope I have as much success. Congrats, your a great example for the rest of us.

Don

decman
8th January 2008, 23:41
OK, I'm in...... :banana

starting weight 274 :shhhh
goal weight 200
Goal (lbs) 74
Current 270

Now who is going to volunteer to buy all my old clothes? :laugh

gypsysailor
9th January 2008, 13:35
I'm in for 20 pounds. I had started on my own, lost most of it then the holidays creeped in on me and I'm back where I started.
Larry

Mudmomma
10th January 2008, 01:25
Hey why not!

Current weight 253
Goal weight 145
Difference 108 lbs
Height 5'9"

BWP 5p
10th January 2008, 23:40
Hey why not!

Current weight 253
Goal weight 145
Difference 108 lbs
Height 5'9"

:clap:clap WELCOME ABOARD :clap:clap

Maxanimal
10th January 2008, 23:53
So it turns out that I am allergic to:
clam
egg white
milk
corn
soybean
wheat
peanut
scallop
Now some of these won't be to hard to give up, but wheat?
No bread, pasta, cereal, cake, cookies, (does it include beer?)
bet ya I loose some weight.

Mudmomma
11th January 2008, 00:41
Oh, you poor baby!! I don't know if I could survive without wheat! Cookies! I'm so sorry.

Maxanimal
11th January 2008, 01:51
Oh, you poor baby!! I don't know if I could survive without wheat! Cookies! I'm so sorry.
You have no Idea, I think the perfect food, is a sandwich.
If it's good to eat, I would like it on bread. (even cookies)
You've heard of a meat and potatoes man, well I'm a meat and bread man.
oh, and wash it down with a beer.

bsporty
11th January 2008, 02:35
what do I do when I'm tempted to eat a bag of chips? I love chips, and I can't eat chips without beer...Oh it's a vicious cycle!

Lays makes a baked version.They are actually really good, with MUCH less fat than regular chips!The beer well, thats a tough one.

bsporty
11th January 2008, 02:41
Dag- tobe honest I think that the Atkins diet is a horriable idea.Please read this and any other articles you can find on it.Your body needs carbs.I'm just tryin to help!
http://www.inch-aweigh.com/dangeratkins.html

bsporty
11th January 2008, 02:46
I would also like to remind everyone that sometimes the scale lies.If you are working out you are building muscle.Muscle ways more than fat.Dont get discoureged if you actually gain weight.I think it may be wise to also get measurements from everyone.I have never been one to constantly weigh myself.I am just happier when my favorite pair of jeans isnt tight anymore!

bsporty
11th January 2008, 03:07

WHat a cool site!Thanks!

bsporty
11th January 2008, 03:36
Please keep in mind that the more strict you are with your diet the harder it will be to stay on it.If you have some pizza dont beat yourself up over it.Just see it as an oopps and get back on track.Have a hershey kiss instead of a whole candy bar.Have a beer, one beer, once a week.Good luck to everyone

Irondrake77
11th January 2008, 03:47
Lays makes a baked version.They are actually really good, with MUCH less fat than regular chips!The beer well, thats a tough one.

I've mostly got a hang of this now...except I really want a nice tall belgium beer :)

Focus is the key...and having a flat stomach a girl could eat off of.

who wants lunch? :D

1STONE
11th January 2008, 18:56
I think that i am in i weigh about 238# and am hoping to be below 200# mark by May, count me in, what do i need to do?

spanner_rash
11th January 2008, 19:19
I think that i am in i weigh about 238# and am hoping to be below 200# mark by May, count me in, what do i need to do?

just drop Dagsportster a PM (just go to the first page f this thread for his details) and tell him what you told us. He'll add you to the list. Drop him a PM on Mondays with your weight for the last 7 days and it gets added to the stats table.
And good luck!

BWP 5p
12th January 2008, 00:24
Have a beer, one beer, once a week.

:chtwo:chtwo:chtwo:chtwo:chtwo:drinkbeer:drinkbeer :drinkbeer:drinkbeer:drinkbeer:help1:help1:help1:h elp1:help1:help1:wtf:wtf:roflblack:roflblack:roflb lack:roflblack:roflblack

ParrotHead
12th January 2008, 00:29
My wife just told me that there is more than one serving in that bag of potato chips. Imagine that ...

bsporty
12th January 2008, 01:29
There is more than one serving of a lot of things.You have to read the label very closely.You can however have the serving size to ditch the craving.Glad you pointed that out though!

bsporty
12th January 2008, 01:56
thought this was a good read...
http://www.ratebeer.com/Story.asp?StoryID=63

Notabiker
12th January 2008, 02:48
I have been MIA here, life has hit hard in the past month, but I am BAACCKKKKKKK and I NEED to lose lots of weight. Is it still okay to join this thang???

Hello and Happy New Year to everyone.

Bern

CaptEvo
12th January 2008, 02:52
Hey Bern, good to see ya

decman
12th January 2008, 03:34
Bern,

Yes join when ever you want.

dec

I have been MIA here, life has hit hard in the past month, but I am BAACCKKKKKKK and I NEED to lose lots of weight. Is it still okay to join this thang???

Bern

wandrur
12th January 2008, 03:51

Bern

Bern,
Nice to see you back around, and welcome to the loser crew! Glad to have you on board. Hope life has settled down a bit for you.

ParrotHead
12th January 2008, 06:59
There is more than one serving of a lot of things.You have to read the label very closely.You can however have the serving size to ditch the craving.Glad you pointed that out though!

Yeah, learning how to eat just 13 chips is gonna be tough. :frownone

Afraid to ask how many pieces of pizza are in a serving !

Scooter_Trash
12th January 2008, 13:51
I can't remember who it was, but somebody here bought the PC software for FitDay.com.

What I'm wondering is; if I buy and install that, will it pull all the data I've already put in on the free site or do I manually have to put all that data back in so I don't loose it?

bsporty
12th January 2008, 14:00
Ya know you can make your own pizza at home.Get some bagels,pizza sauce, and fat free or low fat mozzerella, bake at 450 for about 12 min.You can also use english muffins.Here are some recipies....http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/pizza/
If you shop for food you will find a lot of things that you like you can find low calorie,low fat, they even make fat free sour cream,and mayo!
Some people also think eating a salad is healthy,it is but watch that dressing!!If its not fat free or low fat its full of fat!

dagsportster
12th January 2008, 14:52
Update for January 12, 2008

We're up to 50 participants! That calls for a banana dance! Wait -- too much sugar in bananas :banasad -- better make that a veggie dance! :cucumber:brocoli:carrot

To those who've joined recently and asked "What do I need to do?", the rules are simple:

1) State your goal
2) Do something/anything to lose weight (more on that later)
3) Report your progress by PM to me (Monday is the official weigh-in day), but you can send updates whenever you like.
4) At the end of the year, or whenever you reach your goal, kick in $1 for every pound you lost and we'll let Bert donate it to a charity of his choice. At this point, we're looking at Giant Check money!

http://homepage.mac.com/dagruber/.Pictures/GiantCheck.jpg

Some of us have been on diets before and know what works and what doesn't. For me, Atkins works, but I don't evangelize for the the program. I lost over 50 pounds several years ago (in two months). My cholesterol went DOWN, my back stopped hurting, and I was wearing the same size clothes I wore 25 years ago in high school. Recently, though, I've been getting progressively lazier (both in terms of physical activity and eating habits), and the weight crept back on.

If you're new to weight loss or have trouble getting started, there are some great tips in posts #42 and #119 of this thread.

I added two new columns to the Stats page (diet plan and exercise plan). If you want to declare what your personal approach is, that's great. It helps to have a plan, even if it's as basic as "eat less or better food" and exercise more. If you're doing Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, South Beach or using Alli, it would be interesting to see how well the results stack up, so if you want to let the group know, just PM me the info at any time and I'll update the spreadsheet. I scanned through the posts so far and found a few.

That's all I have for now. Congrats to all for joining and especially to those who've had some progress! It's a marathon, not a sprint, so don't be discouraged if you're off to a slow start or occasionally lapse -- we're all human, but we're in this together, so reach out to the group for support! Don't be afraid to share your struggles or boast about your success!

Thanks,
Dave

AussieGazza
13th January 2008, 06:53
[QUOTE=dagsportster;1049593]Update for January 12, 2008

Dags

Can you add Atkins and weight training in for me on the summary.

dagsportster
13th January 2008, 20:26
Don't forget, weigh-in day is tomorrow!!!

We're on the brink of losing our first collective 100 lbs! Keep up the great work everybody!

Irondrake77
14th January 2008, 06:13
I think I'm doing really well. I ripped the but out of my favorite pair of vinyl pants about 6 months ago and had them sewn up, but I couldn't fit in them because of the loss of material. Tonight I found I had lost enough weight that I could. awesomeness! :banana

XLH my kind of ride
14th January 2008, 06:23
C:\Documents and Settings\carlos\Desktop\100KZ710 count me in i want to loose some weight to

Scooter_Trash
14th January 2008, 14:17
Monday weigh in:

weight-185.6
body fat-25.2%

ScreamingEag1e
14th January 2008, 14:41
I think I'm doing really well. I ripped the but out of my favorite pair of vinyl pants about 6 months ago and had them sewn up, but I couldn't fit in them because of the loss of material. Tonight I found I had lost enough weight that I could. awesomeness! :banana

Thanks Drake, thanks a lot.

It's bad enough that I have to see you in your kilt in the Avatar, now I have a mental image of you splitting your pants.

Thanks again Drake. :laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh

Gone
14th January 2008, 14:55
Am I allowed to join in?

My problem with weight stems from my business travel, I eat every meal in a restaurant for weeks on end, usually buffets.
I live in hotels, again for weeks at a time, and I am often alone. I eat just for something to do. After 60-70 hours a week, I usually am just too lazy (I resisted the temptation to say tired) to go walking, except maybe to a restaurant. Just for the company, I usually find a bar to sit in, in my spare time. which means beer.

Meanwhile, all this means I've gained about 45lbs in the last year. That makes me 5'11" and 265lbs. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/signs037.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

jrossty
14th January 2008, 15:17
Monday weigh in for Jrossty: 184 lbs -2 lbs since january 1st, 2008

I'm working out 3 days a week at the local YMCA doing weightlifting, all 3 days. I also throw basketball in on those days, (shooting by myself, & a pick-up game when I can find people). I played some indoor soccer last week for about 20 minutes and wow, it almost killed me lol. I seriously thought I was going to have a heart attack. It was depressing because 10 years ago I could've done this no problem for hours probably.

I think one of the hardest things for me personally, is eating right. I can't really afford eating healthy foods, (healthy choice, and the like), but I have been trying to eat lots of chicken and turkey since protien and meat are a big one for me.

Scooter_Trash
14th January 2008, 15:37
BTW Dave, the stats page comes up in code.

jrossty
14th January 2008, 15:46
Hmmm... It came up for me ok.

Sporting Lad
14th January 2008, 19:27
Jan. 14

I've been following the "Low Glycemic Index" guidelines.
It seems to be working.

No exercising (yet...).
I used to race bicycles for about ten years, so I'd like to get back to
that again (some training, not racing :doh).
Also used to hit the gym in winter 3-4/wk, but I let my membership expire
and haven't been moved (!) to go there again. :o

Sporting Lad
14th January 2008, 19:35

Exactly what I've been getting since yesterday.
I figured that Dave must've been typing on his Enigma Machine :geek
by mistake.

But other members seem to be OK, so it must be something about our settings?
I was receiving it fine before yesterday.

Sporting Lad
14th January 2008, 20:00
One other thing, while I'm here:

If you're exercising, and you feel like you're having a heart attack,
pay attention--you might be!

This is really important here:
Any body (esp middle-aged men) who is overweight and has
not done much exercise for a while, :danceele should get checked by their doctor to find out if it's safe.
As an ex-endurance athlete, I could tell you stories of guys who ignored the warning signs, thinking they could 'work through the pain' or just "get fitter".
Know what? :yikes :bye

OK, seriously. I hope that grabbed your attention. This is the voice of experience talking.
I don't want to see an "XLF Memorial" on this forum.

Maxanimal
14th January 2008, 20:05
Well because of developing allergies and thus removing wheat, corn and soybean products from my diet I now weigh 286lbs.
THAT'S 8 LBS IN ONE WEEK!
Funny, but I'm feeling better already without that stuff.

RoadChick
14th January 2008, 20:08
Sign me up, please. What do you need?

I currently weigh 157 and want to get back to 138.

My plan:

Exercise 6 times a week---30 minutes of cardio (to be increased over time) and low weight high rep weight training.

Eat salads and fruits 6 days a week.

Friday is my day off from exercise and my free day to eat/drink whatever I want.

BWP 5p
14th January 2008, 23:43
One other thing, while I'm here:

[

This is really important here:
Any body (esp middle-aged men) who is overweight and has
not done much exercise for a while, :danceele should get checked by their doctor to find out if it's safe.

OK, seriously. I hope that grabbed your attention. This is the voice of experience talking.
I don't want to see an "XLF Memorial" on this forum.

What do you think I should do for exercise? Two time Open heart surgery....last time they only hooked up Two Arteries!............I know what's likely to kill me........I'm just not sure when:doh:laugh
Sometimes I think "why bother" with loosing weight..........then I realize...."DUH..........how about to feel better while I AM alive"!:clap:laugh

sycle1
15th January 2008, 00:38
Start walking do about 30 minutes per day don't walk fast after a couple of weeks slowly start to walk a little faster until you can walk for the full 30 minutes at the same faster pace.
Check with your doctors first.

dagsportster
15th January 2008, 00:42

Are you using Firefox? I heard of one other person not able to see the page. I've tested it on a Mac (Safari) and PC (IE) and it seems fine.

bdbecker
15th January 2008, 01:32
282 this morning - 3 lbs in 1.5 weeks just by watching my portions during meals. 70 hour work weeks aren't condusive to getting to the gym, but once this project (128,000 sq foot warehouse expansion) is done, that will be priority one.

Terp84Alum
15th January 2008, 01:34
Keep it up, guys and gals.

Irondrake77
15th January 2008, 02:09
Thanks Drake, thanks a lot.

It's bad enough that I have to see you in your kilt in the Avatar, now I have a mental image of you splitting your pants.

Thanks again Drake. :laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh

These are my favorite pants!! Be Glad I'm wearing any at all :p

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g82/irondrake77/SKR00-1.jpg

Scooter_Trash
15th January 2008, 03:34
Are you using Firefox? I heard of one other person not able to see the page. I've tested it on a Mac (Safari) and PC (IE) and it seems fine.

Yeah, I'm running Firefox, but it's working fine on this computer.

I see you added diet plan and exercise to the spreadsheet, would you add mine?

Diet is calorie reduction
Exercise is cardio/free weights

RoadChick
15th January 2008, 04:10
These are my favorite pants!! Be Glad I'm wearing any at all :p

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g82/irondrake77/SKR00-1.jpg

Hmmm?? I hate to say this.. BUT.. I think I can see your privates...:p

Irondrake77
15th January 2008, 04:59
Hmmm?? I hate to say this.. BUT.. I think I can see your privates...:p

I got one nipple showing, the girls love it. :banana

if you reffering to my leg "area" someone is standing behind me.

But nothing is truly private.:p:tour:p

spdngcrsr
15th January 2008, 05:05
Yep, the best test Ive found is to see how I look wearing the bike jacket in a picture. If I look and say "Oh my gawd, its Biker Santa Claus" then its time to lay off the Jelly Bellies and put some mileage on the jogging shoes.

redneck-rider
15th January 2008, 05:53
Ok well my wife and I are in, we have gooten lazy...very lazy...with all the rain in oregon it is hard to get in the grove of things but we both need this so we are in !!! when I met my wife she was 110lbs I was 185lbs, I have sent you a PM please add us to your weight loss donation program. We will be eating more at home we go out alot!!! And we will start working out 3 times a week, not only does this help everyone it allso goes to a good cause so that is great!!!! see ya at the next mondays wiegh in !!!!! GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL !!!:banadanc :banana :clap

My wife is 5'0"
170lbs/goal of 140lbs
I am 5'10"
212lbs/goal of 185lbs

Sporting Lad
15th January 2008, 07:31
Stats page is happ'nin' for me now! I don't know what was wrong, but now
'It's all good!' :D
Cancel the order for the de-cypher machine!

barnes138
15th January 2008, 09:02
I took an Army PT test Sunday and at the weigh in, I dropped 2 pounds since starting the challenge! Hey, only 2 pounds, but slow and steady, you know?

I weighed in at 207, which is 2 pounds over the screening weight, which means they taped me to make sure I'm not too fat for Army standards. I passed with flying colors, but it will be nice to get below that screening weight so I don't have to bother with being taped.

dagsportster
15th January 2008, 11:34
Update for Tuesday, January 15

Whew! :) I think I'm finally caught up with the updates! If I missed anyone's PM or post here, just drop me a note and your update. We started off slowly, but this has been a busy week -- we're up to 54 participants now and 29 people have already seen progress!

A couple of people were having trouble viewing the stats page in Firefox. The spreadsheet is actually an Excel document that I publish as a Web page. I blew away all the web files last night and regenerated everything and it seems like it's working for everyone again. Just like a bike, though, when unexplained problems go away on their own, they usually return, so let me know if the page goes cryptic again.

Don't forget to reach out to the group for support and encouragement (and especially to brag if you're successful!). I've plateaued a bit and I know that happens from time-to-time. High stress at work, a few eat-out dinners (trying to be good) and too exhausted to exercise. Just gotta recommit and get back into the program. The worst thing (and I've avoided it this time) is to have a bad day or to slip a little and then say, "Well, today was a waste, so I might as well eat this bag o' chips or cookies and start tomorrow." Staying committed is key. I have to remind myself that a one-time lapse may keep my progress stagnant, but throwing in the towel at the end of the day may set me back for days. Well, enough sermonizing...

Thanks everyone for participating. Hang it there!

Dave

Ole
15th January 2008, 13:57
...The worst thing (and I've avoided it this time) is to have a bad day or to slip a little and then say, "Well, today was a waste, so I might as well eat this bag o' chips or cookies and start tomorrow."...

Thank GOD! I'm not the only one! :clap I really try to watch that but sometimes...ya know?

Garv
15th January 2008, 15:03
Count me in!
About 6 years ago I lost 50 lbs doing Atkins.....I felt great. Back injury 2 years ago and most of the weight has come back. Lots of good posts here about guys losing weight got me motivated, even dusted off the old bowflex.
One big problem for me is watching TV....for some reason I always get munchies watching TV, I really have to break this habit.

Height 5'10"
Starting : 235
Goal : 180

55 lbs seems like an impossible goal so I have broken it into stages...Stage 1 under 220, Stage 2 under 200, Stage 3 in the 180's......can't wait to see how the body responds to a Stage 3 setup :banana

ScreamingEag1e
15th January 2008, 15:06
Count me in!
About 6 years ago I lost 50 lbs doing Atkins.....I felt great. Back injury 2 years ago and most of the weight has come back. Lots of good posts here about guys losing weight got me motivated, even dusted off the old bowflex.
One big problem for me is watching TV....for some reason I always get munchies watching TV, I really have to break this habit.

So put the bowflex in front of the TV. I had cable TV installed in my garage and put the elliptical in front of it. 30 minutes go by very fast.

wandrur
15th January 2008, 17:20
No loss of weight at this point, though that's not surprising. I carry my weight well in that rarely will someone guess my weight with any accuracy, and like I said in my earlier post--I'm just soft on the outside. My body is used to being like this, but I want something better than that, so this challenge is a great motivator.

I've been doing at least 30 (sometimes to 45) minute exercise bike runs, going anywhere from 8.5 to 12 miles per evening through a programmed cross-training setting that alternates resistance, and then I do a ~45 minute cycle on the Bowflex. While my weight hasn't changed, I feel so much better. I'm breathing a little easier, my body feels...I'm not sure how to explain it...tighter, I guess, less like my arms and legs are just attached to the rest of me and more like I'm an entire organism. I have a few bad joints, so this is a welcome feeling. It feels good.

What blows is that I was up until 3:45 this morning because I don't have any other time to workout than late at night. I work 40 hours per week and I'm currently enrolled in 4 graduate courses that involve LOTS of reading for every class period. It's so hard to find a schedule that works, but I can't slack off in any of my obligations--work, school, health--or else I'll slack off in another, and I'm sick of shooting myself in the foot. Sure, I could back down the courseload to 2 or 3, but the classes are fascinating, and if I miss them now, I won't have the opportunity to take them again (or, if so, it will be two years from now). :censor. There are just so many things I want to do.

Sorry for venting. You folks are just the only encouragement I have, as I don't have anyone to push me to work harder or do better. Hard to self-motivate when you're being pulled in so many directions. So--I'm glad you're here. :o

wandrur
15th January 2008, 17:24
So put the bowflex in front of the TV. I had cable TV installed in my garage and put the elliptical in front of it. 30 minutes go by very fast.

So true! I watch most of my "tv" on my desktop computer, and that is right in front of my exercise bike and still within view of the Bowflex. But I opt to have loud metal or rock music playing while I exercise, and I read fiction (fluff reading...a welcome thing in grad school) while on the bike and jump to the XLF between sets on the Bowflex. :)

Rascal
15th January 2008, 20:33
Weight loss? You gotta be kiddin' me...I must be a kid 'cause I'm still growing! :smoke

ParrotHead
15th January 2008, 21:13
Weight loss? You gotta be kiddin' me...I must be a kid 'cause I'm still growing! :smoke

Is that growing UP, or growing OUT

I for one have been growing OUT for far too long!

Irondrake77
16th January 2008, 01:04
Remember when working out to get lots of fluids at all times. Water is always best. Gatorade, and other energy drinks are good, but not in the quantity you should drink water.

Unless it's this stuff :p:p

qRuNxHqwazs

t-3qncy5Qfk

Garv
16th January 2008, 02:37

Great idea! The boxflex wont fit but I moved the stationary bike in front of the TV.....if I want to watch TV I'm going to make sure I do at least 30 minutes on the bike.

dagsportster
17th January 2008, 00:57
Count me in!

Height 5'10"
Starting : 235
Goal : 180

55 lbs seems like an impossible goal so I have broken it into stages...Stage 1 under 220, Stage 2 under 200, Stage 3 in the 180's......can't wait to see how the body responds to a Stage 3 setup :banana

Garv -

Thanks for joining - you're in and we're getting SO close to a collective One-Ton goal! Imagine that?!

TV snacking is my weakest point of the day. No problem from 5:00 am when I get up until 7 pm when I get home. I have a sensible dinner (low-carb, no bread, no starch, no sugar). About 90 minutes later, I'm still not hungry (the major benefit of doing Atkins is that your blood sugar stays level and you don't "crave" food), BUT...we're creatures of habit, and I've had a bad habit of snacking while watching the tube, so... I developed some "counter-measures" when that happens:

- grab a few almonds (not too many) and eat them one at a time.
- drink a bottle of water
- grab a set of free-weights that I keep next to "my" chair and do some curls.

As I said earlier, much of this comes down to behavior modification. Sometimes we just eat out of habit and the only correction is to change our behavior.

DC in PHX
17th January 2008, 01:03
Thank GOD! I'm not the only one! :clap I really try to watch that but sometimes...ya know?

Yup...:rolleyes::o

DC

cgp-1200R
17th January 2008, 01:13
I started Feb 07 at 247 < uhgg >

Kept my kcals below 9 to 11k / week.

started excercising. by walking 1/2 mile a day.

Now 197 and doning 3.5k every day about 28 min

if you splurge just make it up the next day.

dagsportster
17th January 2008, 11:51
:shhhh Can I have your attention?

Quiet in the back, please...

|:cool2|:cool2|:cool2|:cool2|:cool2|:cool2|:cool2| :o
|:cool2|:cool2|:cool2|:cool2|:cool2|:cool2|:cool2| :cool2|

I have a brief announcement.

As of Thursday, January 17,

the XL Forum 2008 Weight Loss Challenge participants

have collectively pledged to lose

a ton -- yes, 2,000 pounds -- of performance-killing weight!

:dancesmil:banagui:band:banagui:dancesmil:danceele :danceele:danccow:danccow
:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

We're only a few weeks into this thing, and we're already 8% of the way there!

jrossty
17th January 2008, 13:29
jrossty UPDATE: Lost 3 pounds since weigh in. Down to 183 from 186.

One problem I have (thats been mentioned before), is that I don't lose a whole lot of weight since I lift, mostly for strength and muscle-mass. So, therein will lie my problem... I suppose I could throw in some more cardio stuff, its just after about 30-45min at the gym, I'm ready to go home :(

dagsportster
18th January 2008, 12:33
Thanks for the update!

wandrur
18th January 2008, 18:39
Wow, we're going to make a TON of difference! :laugh:laugh:laugh

I couldn't resist.

dagsportster
21st January 2008, 12:47
Don't forget -- Monday is weigh in day. Let's see those numbers!

RoadChick
21st January 2008, 19:21
Hmmm??? Something is wrong with my scale!!

It says I weigh 3 pounds more!!

I have been watching what I eat and exercisinig 4-5 times a week.

Oh well. I have increased.

Scooter_Trash
21st January 2008, 19:38
Sometimes that happens RC. Could be that you had a high sodium diet the last couple of days, could be water, you weighed at different times of the day, etc. Don't let it get ya down.

Hell, I thought I made pretty good progress this week. Turns out I only lost 0.2 of a pound. But I figured because my birthday was this week, I had two 2500 kcal days. I probably should have expected it. Next week will be better.

RoadChick
21st January 2008, 21:06
Sometimes that happens RC. Could be that you had a high sodium diet the last couple of days, could be water, you weighed at different times of the day, etc. Don't let it get ya down.

Hell, I thought I made pretty good progress this week. Turns out I only lost 0.2 of a pound. But I figured because my birthday was this week, I had two 2500 kcal days. I probably should have expected it. Next week will be better.

Do you think that salt water will make me retain water? :p

I was in the ocean for 2 hours yesterday. I had a surfing lesson?

Ole
21st January 2008, 22:19
...I was in the ocean for 2 hours yesterday. I had a surfing lesson?
You HUSH with that kind of talk there you...we had -2įF for a high temperature yesterday...:banasad

myrl883
22nd January 2008, 03:25

Rene - That's not always a bad sign. If you've started a strict excercise regimen, you may see an increse in weight for a while, but it'll start to melt away before long. My weight's been dropping fast, but I've not been excercising much... I'm still a bit of a sloth. When I get a bit more flexible, and it warms up around here, I'll probably start seeing my weight go up a bit, but my size still going down (I hope!).

acarbonell
22nd January 2008, 05:26
Do you think that salt water will make me retain water? :p

I was in the ocean for 2 hours yesterday. I had a surfing lesson?

Road Chick:

Where were you out at? I had a nice (2) hr ride yesterday and ended up having lunch at 'Neptunes Net' (LA/Ventura County Line) at around 2ish. Waves were on the small size but fun. Hope you scored some nice waves wherever you were at.

AC

Shadowdog500
22nd January 2008, 05:31

Could be muscle gain but here are a few other things to consider.

What time did you weigh yourself? I usually weigh a little more after dinner than I do in the morning.

What did you have on? Different clothes can make a difference.

What is the accuracy of your scale? Iíve seen some that will vary by a few pounds just by stepping off and back on again.

Hang in there if you are doing your part, and it sounds like you are, the weight will come off.

Chris

srrice40
22nd January 2008, 14:19
nothing to report this week, cept I have been sick with some crud. Yuck !

Scooter_Trash
22nd January 2008, 15:14

SE, gotta tell ya. Right now you're my motivation. We've got the same starting weight, goal and we are neck and neck. It also helps that your name is next to mine. Keep up the good work!

ScreamingEag1e
22nd January 2008, 16:24
SE, gotta tell ya. Right now you're my motivation. We've got the same starting weight, goal and we are neck and neck. It also helps that your name is next to mine. Keep up the good work!

ST, keep up the good work. I'm in the "slow" mode now that most of the weight is off. I've lost a total of 65lbs now since 1 September. I've been losing about 1lb a week since right before Christmas, but I'm going to get 2 this coming week. Are you up for that? :banana

Scooter_Trash
22nd January 2008, 17:00
you bet.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f118/FireMedicXL/XLtooshort.jpg

wandrur
22nd January 2008, 20:06
Keep in mind that the time of day can significantly affect your scaled weight. Even sucking down a latte will bump you, so keep your weigh in times consistent.

1. Get a high quality scale.
2. The best time to weigh yourself is after you awaken in the morning.
3. Be consistent about your vestments--if you weigh yourself in underwear one day, that's how you should consistently weigh yourself. To get the most accurate result--that's right--you should be buck nekkid.
4. Track your weight regularly (every day, if you insist), but don't get frustrated if it takes a while to notice a difference. The body's natural weight fluctuates based on things other than activity and food intake--temperature and humidity, for example, as well as exposure to sunlight or lack thereof.

Keep on keepin' on.

acarbonell
23rd January 2008, 03:12
Dave,

acarbonell checking in: weigh in at 208. Rough long weekend - tough to stay with the program. But hey better to stay steady than to gain.

Cheers.

Alex

:doh

dagsportster
23rd January 2008, 12:24
Keep in mind that the time of day can significantly affect your scaled weight. Even sucking down a latte will bump you, so keep your weigh in times consistent.

1. Get a high quality scale.
2. The best time to weigh yourself is after you awaken in the morning.
3. Be consistent about your vestments--if you weigh yourself in underwear one day, that's how you should consistently weigh yourself. To get the most accurate result--that's right--you should be buck nekkid.
4. Track your weight regularly (every day, if you insist), but don't get frustrated if it takes a while to notice a difference. The body's natural weight fluctuates based on things other than activity and food intake--temperature and humidity, for example, as well as exposure to sunlight or lack thereof.

Keep on keepin' on.

Excellent advice. I totally agree. I weigh myself just before getting into the show every morning and I see very consistent results that way. A mid-day or night reading can be dramatically different (when you watching for a couple of pounds one way or the other).

I've plateaued early this time. I attribute that to doing a "modified" Atkins (more like a South Beach) and also working out with weights. My wasteline is definitely shrinking more than the scale indicates, but I'm not kidding myself into thinking I'm hulking up that much (it takes more time to build muscle than lose fat).

I think I've got to go strick Atkins induction at this point to kick-start my progress. When I did Atkins by the book several years ago, I lost weight at the pace of a pound a day.

Quebeker
23rd January 2008, 12:50
About a year ago, I grossed myself out at 280 and decided to do somethin' about it (http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=47189).
I gave up on fast food restaurants and junk food.
I have not been to McDo or BK and others since. I totally gave up on greasy truck stop food. I have potato chips and chocolate bars maybe once a month instead of everyday.
And by eating a little less, a little better and a tiny bit of exercise, I went down to 235 but I plateaued there. And then put 25 back on.

Last week, I, for whatever reason (reading this thread and the wife bugging me), decided to be a good boy again and get back on track.

This morning, 255Lbs. Loss of 5.

wandrur
24th January 2008, 23:39
I love this website:
http://health.howstuffworks.com/calorie.htm

Gives a great (and clear) description of calories with additional links about what's up with weight loss, maintenance, and gain. Highly recommended. It's nice to better understand the needs of my body and the behaviors necessary to chop my fat :censor. :p

rickxx
27th January 2008, 15:54
i'm putting my update in a day early. sunday dinners seem to have adverse effect on monday morning weigh-ins (imagine that). lost 3.5 lbs this week and so far 8.5 for the month and most of it without going to the club to work out. i don't get it.....but i'll take it.

AussieGazza
27th January 2008, 21:00
I PUT ON 2 LBS. Ahhhhhhhhhhh

Weight training can do that to you.

I have a secret plan to lose a LOT next week. I will keep you posted.

ScreamingEag1e
27th January 2008, 21:10
I PUT ON 2 LBS. Ahhhhhhhhhhh

Weight training can do that to you.

I have a secret plan to lose a LOT next week. I will keep you posted.

Yep, I have a secret plan to lose about 115 lbs, but I don't think my wife would like it too much. Oh well, I guess I'll stay married to her. :laugh

srrice40
28th January 2008, 00:58
no weight loss this week, Still got that crude, I will be glad when I feel better and can get back on my diet. this sucks. :(

RoadChick
28th January 2008, 16:20
Well.....This time I did not gain. I am at my starting weight again......

I am going to start a stricter diet today and see if I can make some progress. I can tell the exercise is working, my clothes are fitting looser.

wandrur
28th January 2008, 16:40
Monday morning weigh-in: 225. Lost 5 pounds since I started, so that's a good thing. It's very hard to keep to a reasonable diet, though...and time is compromised due to my work and grad school schedule, but I've been making attempts (that are apparently paying off somewhat). :D Hooray for me!

Scooter_Trash
28th January 2008, 16:52
Won't be home 'til Tuesday so I will do my weigh in then. But I can tell you that 2 days ago I was at 182.5. I switched to South Beach this week, so I really wanted to see what it was today, but I will have to wait until morning.

I'm loving this diet. I'm loosing weight, feel great and I'm not the least bit hungry. Hopefully the second week will be just as (if not more) productive.

ScreamingEag1e
28th January 2008, 16:57
Won't be home 'til Tuesday so I will do my weigh in then. But I can tell you that 2 days ago I was at 182.5. I switched to South Beach this week, so I really wanted to see what it was today, but I will have to wait until morning.

I'm loving this diet. I'm loosing weight, feel great and I'm not the least bit hungry. Hopefully the second week will be just as (if not more) productive.

Fantastic. You da man! :clap:clap

redneck-rider
28th January 2008, 21:48
Well I finally did it, I lost some weight, I have been walking and gave up the fast food,man thats hard to pass a taco time and not stop,My wife is doing great she drags me out on walks and feeds me smaller portions :censor, oh well its working and we are getting out more to do things that include walking,walking, and more walking, and we hit the gym 3 times a week, good luck to the rest of you

El_Tito25
29th January 2008, 06:11
Hello everybody:
I'm down to 230 from 244/242 depending on the scale. Doing atkins strictly, but this week I'm on a family vacation, and therefore not the healthiest of eating. However I want to minimize ice cream, chocolate and carbs, so it won't be as hard going back to full blown atkins when I return home next week. I really hope not gain a lot of weight this week. Hopefully all the walking in Disney will help to keep the weight at bay.
Thanks for the support from the forum and I feel like I'm a part of something bigger (an not just a personal struggle "me vs. fat")
thanks, again, and keep losing it!!

acarbonell
30th January 2008, 04:49
Carbonell checking in.
205 ...... getting there!

Alex

RoadChick
30th January 2008, 04:59
Great progress!!

Keep up the great work.

You are inspiring me, thanks!!!

Scooter_Trash
30th January 2008, 13:45
Here's my really late Monday weigh in (finally made it home from work after a few days).

weight: 178.6
body fat 23.3%

Sporting Lad
31st January 2008, 07:22
I'm doin' pretty good, all thing considerd. I'm down about 10# since we began.
Basically all I've done is to cut out all the junk foods:

- cut out all white sugar
- cut out all refined white flour
- go easy on the carbs

I've always been a sugar junky--donuts, danish pastries, cookies, chips, and other munchies. I could eat an entire jar of fresh baked chocolate chip cookies (still warm from the oven:wonderlan)washed down with a 1/2 gallon of 3% ice cold milk....

Right across the street from my clinic is a DQ and it was all to easy to pop over there for a lunch of a mega cheeseburger, fries, and a "milk"shake. If I was feeling guilty I'd have the Diet Pepsi instead. I used to tell people that diet pop was a fattening food neutralizer-- drink one with a cheeseburger and the net caloric intake is zero!:laugh

But this "diet" isn't too bad-- I can still eat bread (whole wheat pita, tortillas)
"Special K", Aspartame, meat, fish, cheese, dairy products (w/o sugar) eggs,
nuts, alcohol in moderation... stuff like that.
But I have to watch out-- I can lose weight pretty fast and easily, but I can put it right back on even faster if I have a relapse and revert to my old ways, even for a few weeks.

This is the first time I've been involved in any kind of programme or group effort thing. Oh, in my bicycle racing days I trained a lot, but I never really watched my weight-- I just worked out, so I became (nearly) the weight I wanted to be without any dieting per se.
Since I quit racing my weight went up along with my BP. Now I'm on meds to control my BP, but the side-effect limits my heart rate, so I can't work as hard as I'd like. But my doc says forget being competitive--just go out and have fun! He's prescribed just 30 minutes per day comprising 15 minutes of weights in the AM and 15 minutes of aerobics in the PM. Every day. It feels ridiculously easy to me, but he says 'See how easy you can make it, but keep it simple and keep it fun'. Consistency is more important than intensity at this point.

The theory is that, as my weight comes down, my BP will come down,
we can cut the Rx down, I can start to increase my workload, and I'll get to my goal weight.

My birthday is the end of April and I want to fit into a brand new pair of 34" jeans. That's my birthday goal. If all goes well, I should be around 186#.
Aside from stepping on the scale on Monday mornings, I take just a few bodily measurements once per month: Waist at navel, and abdomen at its greatest girth. On New Year's Day those two numbers were 38" and 42". That my not seem like a lot to some of you defensive linemen:danceele, but I'm only about 5'7"! If I'd played football, they'd call me "The Human Cannonball".:burnout:laugh

Surprisingly, the hardest thing hasn't been the diet--it's been the daily exercise. It seems like we've had one household emergency after another--
the van blew a headgasket; the wife drove her new Mazda onto the rocks;
the downstairs fridge died, this computer exploded and required a complete overhaul, and yesterday the blower motor on our furnace needed an R&R.
All that since 1 January! Maybe now things'll settle down a bit. :shhhh
So it's like I said in the beginning-- I'm doin' pretty good. All things considered.:D

Scooter_Trash
31st January 2008, 15:49
Great Job!

You're right about loosing weight and getting your B/P to go down. Hopefully instead of reducing the meds, your doc will be able to eliminate them completly.

Loosing weight should also help out those with high, or borderline high cholesterol (like me). My ultimate goal is to never have to start cholesterol meds, despite my family history.

Keep up with the work out. There's always time to squeeze a work out in, even if it's just a short one. Recognize when you are making excuses to avoid working out. You'll eventually hit that point where you'll feel like crap if you miss one. Remember those days from your cycling training. I know I do. Unlike then, I want to be at that point. :laugh

By the way, Sporting Lad, don't feel like I'm singling you out here. I was hoping this is more of a motivational post for the masses. It's just that your post got me thinking about it. :D

Sporting Lad
31st January 2008, 18:41
Great Job!
By the way, Sporting Lad, don't feel like I'm singling you out here. I was hoping this is more of a motivational post for the masses. It's just that your post got me thinking about it. :D

No, you're completely right, and thanks for the supportive post.
I know that, once I get out there, I feel great, and even better
after I'm done. Some days I need to 'baby step'.
e.g. Step one=Just lace up my shoes. Step two=put on jacket.
And so on. The family dog loves to go for walks/jogs/runs, so
she's a great workout partner.
ttfn
Tom
ps-- Excuse #2: It's all damp and slushy out there... :boohoo

Sporting Lad
31st January 2008, 18:51
Winter Exercise program...

Take one Weetabix.

Take an Aero chocolate bar.

Crumble the Aero over the Weetabix.

Voila! AEROBIX!

:doh

el jinete fantasma
31st January 2008, 18:58
I haven't read the whole thread, but if anyone wants to use a decent calorie counter, here's one: Calorie Counter (http://www.my-calorie-counter.com/calorie_counter.asp)
I used to think I had reasonably okay eating habits until I started using it...:doh
Good luck everyone!

RoadChick
31st January 2008, 19:17
I have a better way to lose weight..

Get braces!!!

LOL!!

As of Tuesday I have braces on the top and bottom now. I have not been able to eat much the past few days and I can feel my hip bones again!!! And my pants are falling off.. hmm???

jrossty
31st January 2008, 19:22
I have a better way to lose weight..

Get braces!!!

LOL!!

As of Tuesday I have braces on the top and bottom now. I have not been able to eat much the past few days and I can feel my hip bones again!!! And my pants are falling off.. hmm???

Well... thats one way to do it I suppose... maybe the quickest... but probably not the best.:dunno

RoadChick
31st January 2008, 19:30
Well... thats one way to do it I suppose... maybe the quickest... but probably not the best.:dunno

I agree.. I was not looking for this type of weight loss.

But I will take it...

I have been eating really healthy and going to the gym almost every night after work too.

Ole
31st January 2008, 20:04
...my pants are falling off...
I don't believe you...photographic proof please...

:roflblack

redneck-rider
31st January 2008, 20:11
Well the best way to lose wieght is not to gain it, to late for me but I have been doing good, this coming weeks wiegh in will not be good for me, I had better go run around the block about 10 times, Pizza party at work did me under....dang it boss!!!

el jinete fantasma
31st January 2008, 21:12
As of Tuesday I have braces on the top and bottom now. I have not been able to eat much the past few days and I can feel my hip bones again!!!
All this after two days? You'll starve to death by the end of the weekend!

And my pants are falling off.. hmm???
Okay, now you're just asking for it... a comment, that is...:laugh

Shadowdog500
2nd February 2008, 04:34
I just passed the 100lb weight loss mark today. :banana Iím down to 248 from 350+ last January. I believe that this is 10 pounds so far this year. I still have another 48 to go. Iím in no race to get it off but hopefully I will be down to 200lb this summer.

I saw a photo of myself that was taken last week and was actually shocked at how thin I looked. Itís funny that I canít see all the changes when I look at myself in the mirror everyday, but the changes in the photo were obvious. When I compared that photo to one taken a year ago the differences were striking.

Chris

spanner_rash
2nd February 2008, 11:11
I just passed the 100lb weight loss mark today. :banana Iím down to 248 from 350+ last January. I believe that this is 10 pounds so far this year. I still have another 48 to go. Iím in no race to get it off but hopefully I will be down to 200lb this summer.

I saw a photo of myself that was taken last week and was actually shocked at how thin I looked. Itís funny that I canít see all the changes when I look at myself in the mirror everyday, but the changes in the photo were obvious. When I compared that photo to one taken a year ago the differences were striking.

Chris

Good on ya mate!
I have "only" lost 14 lbs this year, and it took for my daughter to visit and remark how much different i looked from Xmas to realise that slowly slowly catchee monkey works!

Keep it up and good luck to you!

milmat1
3rd February 2008, 14:17
This is all great but how about some tips on how you did it !

Sporting Lad
4th February 2008, 04:13
Aaaaaaaaaaaaa. It's all totally FUBAR! I'm at this Superball party and every body is screaming. And eating. And drinking. Drinking and eating. It's very bad! There's cheezies and chips and dip and pepperonis and real cheeses and everything! And RUM and Coke and beer in the fridge and the party's not over until it's all gone along with dinner too. And somebody else brought a big cake.
And brownies.... :banadevi

There's these limp, rubbery, pathetic celery stalks been layin' there all night
with just this one skinny chick chewin' on 'em. Screw that, I'll eat the good stuff and I won't remember in the morning until I weigh myself.
Well, Monday's the first day of a whole new week!

Can I skip 'weigh-in' tomorrow? :frownthre I know it's gonna be B-A-D....:danceele

:dancesmil

AussieGazza
4th February 2008, 05:51
No change AGAIN this week....

Scooter_Trash
4th February 2008, 06:42
Aaaaaaaaaaaaa. It's all totally FUBAR! I'm at this Superball party and every body is screaming. And eating. And drinking. Drinking and eating. It's very bad! There's cheezies and chips and dip and pepperonis and real cheeses and everything! And RUM and Coke and beer in the fridge and the party's not over until it's all gone along with dinner too. And somebody else brought a big cake.
And brownies.... :banadevi
There's these limp, rubbery, pathetic celery stalks been layin' there all night
with just this one skinny chick chewin' on 'em. Screw that, I'll eat the good stuff and I won't remember in the morning until I weigh myself.
Well, Monday's the first day of a whole new week!
Can I skip 'weigh-in' tomorrow? :frownthre I know it's gonna be B-A-D....:danceele
:dancesmil
I hear ya. I was in the same boat. :censor:censor:censor Why can't everybody on the planet be on the same diet I am. Seems like a simple enough solution. :doh

Holding strong at the exact same weight as last week. 178.6

I guess I shouldn't be too disappointed since I did have a good week last week. Still, it's nice to see some results each week. Oh well, next week will be better.

bdbecker
4th February 2008, 14:52
281 this morning.

RoadChick
4th February 2008, 17:08
No change from last week..... Still the same as my initial weigh in.. THANK GOD!!!

I was sure I would had gone up this week.

Sporting Lad
4th February 2008, 17:31
Well, according to the scales, it's not as bad as I thought it would be.
I'm up ~0.2, which is nothing, really. It's just that I want to see minuses
every week, not staying the same.
Still-- It's a warning that I'd been slipping all week.
It wasn't just the Super Bowl party (Why, oh why did I eat those brownies?)
I'd started using that "flavouring" in my coffee. Says it's 'low fat', but it's mostly sugar. I just can't do black coffee. I've got to up my exercise to daily. I know dieting alone ain't gonna do it. Thing is, The Wife's had the bronchiasauris all week and I've been a bit under the weather, so haven't had a lot of pep. I sure hope I don't get it as bad as she did~!
Oh, yeah: Did my month-ends-- Even though the scale says I'm down 10 pounds, my waist measures the same as it did on New Year's Day. :cry1
("Stay the course!")
1) Get well
2) Daily exercise
3) Be more vigilante regarding what I consume
4) "The Sun'll Come Out...To-morrow!"

Donz5oh
4th February 2008, 17:36
I've actually gained about a pound but I attribute that to the exercise.:wonderlan

Back to 238:(

spanner_rash
4th February 2008, 17:59
I'm the same as last week. Initial drops has stopped, so I must be palteau'd out for now.

Sunday i thought I may have been a pound or two heavier with all the icicles hanginfg off me after I went for a 120 mile round trip on the Sporty down to Chester to have a nosey around the dealer's new shop.:wonderlan Very impressive showroom and some lovely bikes on display. Nice folks too:)

I bought a new hoodie from them, and put in on under the HG winter coat, on top of my leather vest, a sweatshirt, and a T shirt, coz I was soooooo cold! :wonderlan

The ride home up the motorway was "entertaining" in 50-60MPG cross wind gusts.:frownthre:frownone:frownthre

Anyone else in UK go for a ride Sunday and end up like an ice cube??:p

wandrur
4th February 2008, 18:52
Dropped 3 since last week's weigh-in. Now at 222. Woohoo!!

Must have been the elevation keeping you safe, huh, Rene? :p

RoadChick
4th February 2008, 19:29
Dropped 3 since last week's weigh-in. Now at 222. Woohoo!!

Must have been the elevation keeping you safe, huh, Rene? :p

LOL!!!

Yeah that CO elevation helped me out. I do not know how that works, but it sure sounds good.... :p

Good job on the weight loss!! You are very disciplined. :)