PDA

View Full Version : There has to be an easier way... (disassemble wheel for powdercoating)

themutt
19th January 2012, 16:39
I have an 18" rear spoked wheel that I would like to get powdered. In order to do so, I would like to disassemble the entire wheel so only the hoop and the hub get powdered. After removing the tire, there is a vulcanized rubber strip to keep the air in on the tubeless tire. Does anyone know of an easy way to remove that rubber without completely damaging the rim? Any help from someone with experience in the would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

khaskins
19th January 2012, 16:43
I think you can just scrape it off. The problem will be replacing it and making it hold air when you are done.

tmack-1
19th January 2012, 22:33
Hmmmm.... always thought that wire wheels meant tubes. In tube'd wheels, that strip is to protect the tube from getting holes from rubbing against the spoke thingy's (nibs??).

The rubber strip is fairly cheap to buy, so ripe & tear. Then use a good solvent to remove any glue/sealant.

IMO: When putting it back together, just get a tube (& strip). It's a lot less headaches than trying to get it sealed and adds an extra layer to keep the air in.

xllent01
19th January 2012, 22:41
I have an 18" rear spoked wheel that I would like to get powdered. In order to do so, I would like to disassemble the entire wheel so only the hoop and the hub get powdered. After removing the tire, there is a vulcanized rubber strip to keep the air in on the tubeless tire. Does anyone know of an easy way to remove that rubber without completely damaging the rim? Any help from someone with experience in the would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Motorcycle Spoked wheels ARE NOT TUBELESS..(you can make them tubeless)

The rubber gets pulled out by hand, easy peasy..not sure of the issue here?

the strip is to protect the tube from getting pinched, or hole punched from the spokes themselves

JDRAKE4200
20th January 2012, 14:36
Just pull that rubber out...can get a new strip at almost any bike shop. Almost all spoked rims use tubes. The strip is there to protect the tube.

in the wind
20th January 2012, 14:45
maybe the 18" wheel he has was coated for use w/ no tube--
if so -- he will have to remove rubber then be forced to use the stock style rubber strip w/ a tube-- or after powdercoating and assembly,send the rim back to whoever coated it and have it redone

Bob F
20th January 2012, 17:22
You could paint your rim with urethane paint. Almost as good as power coating and can be done without removing the spokes.

What Is Urethane Paint? http://www.ehow.com/about_4745245_what-urethane-paint.html

bustert
20th January 2012, 20:41
take a heat gun and heat the rubber strip in sections and place something between the strip and rim when it works loose. if the strip is put down with butyl glue, heat will cause it to release. you could try using a solvent also. if you are careful and do not stretch the liner, you could reglue it. heat works wonders on removing a glued down vynal floor.