PDA

View Full Version : Ironhead Round S&S air cleaner cover

nativebroncofan
29th January 2012, 22:02
I went to the 34th annual Swap & show here in Denver yesterday and picked this up with a super "G" on it. I've has my eye on it for a few years and finally decided to get it. Now I need to figure out which jets to run in the super g. It has a 76 main and a 33 intermediate in it and I'm guessing that I should start by lowering them. I'm in high altitude here in Denver.

fdny37
29th January 2012, 22:10
Never seen a round S&S so that might be pretty unique. On another note did you say that you're going to put a "G" on your IH? If so I think that you might have a little too much carb for a 1000cc motor. I had a "G" on my 93" stroker and replaced it with an "E" because it was too much carb. I'm just saying that you might want to rethink putting a "G" on a stock IH.

nativebroncofan
29th January 2012, 22:31
I wasn't really planning on putting it on, more of just wondering if it would be feasible in the higher altitudes. I have never been in the mountains on the IH but if I hit the 7,000 feet mark going up would the G be better than changing jets in the E?

jharback
29th January 2012, 22:55
The Super G is a lot of carb for a 1000cc engine. They were designed for the Big Twins. The Super B or the Super E is what would normally be run on your Ironhead. Definitely lower 'em. Just not too sure by how much. A considerable amount, I would think. If your in Denver your already at 5,000 feet. Another one or two thousand feet isn't going to make that much difference as long as you don't stay up there. I'd stick with the Super E and don't worry about re-jetting if your going to go up to 7,000 feet. I live at sea level and frequently go up into the Alps without problems with my Super E. So I go from Sea Level to 5,000 feet fairly often and don't re-jet. Hell I don't even stop to re-adjust the carb.

nativebroncofan
29th January 2012, 23:09
I had a couple of offers to swap the g for an e. But the problem was the e they were offering up wasn't present. I know the g is to big for the 1000cc engine and would prolly just end up running rich and frying a cylinder or so. Hopefully one of the two swap offers that I got yesterday will come through and then I won't have useless carb just sitting around just for the sake of having the custom air cleaner.

HDking13
30th January 2012, 03:38
wish i could get one of those for my E. I like the round

ultra...good
30th January 2012, 04:01
[QUOTE=nativebroncofan;3754332] I know the g is to big for the 1000cc engine and would prolly just end up running rich and frying a cylinder or so. [QUOTE]

It's not necessarily that it will run too rich, or too lean, its that you will not have enough velocity through the venturi to properly mix [atomize] the air/fuel so you will always be compromising performance on one end of the spectrum more then the other. Usually it will be on the low to mid range where you would lose performance with too big of a carb. If you had an outright drag motor and only ran it at the strip, a G migth work pretty good, but there would still be better carbs for that application.

As far as overall displacement, yes a 1000cc motor is too small, so would a 4 5/8 stroke motor @1200cc. Reason being, when you increase the stroke you are not really increasing the volume of air in the intake tract, rather you are increasing the amount of time that air is being pulled through there. I'm not sure if I am making sense with this, but there is a difference in characteristics between a big bore and a stroker motor.

I hope this is somewhat helpful, I definetely do not mean to confuse.

nativebroncofan
30th January 2012, 04:01
What the guy did was to take two teardrop covers and cut and fit to make a circle shape. The air cleaner support bracket had to ground down as well. For some reason one of the posts has been welded into place. If I had the time I would try this myself hope the pics show what it took.

I want to take it back down to bare metal and have it painted silver vein as that is the color of some of the parts that have been customed to fit my bike.

nativebroncofan

nativebroncofan
30th January 2012, 04:11
the air/fuel so you will always be compromising performance on one end of the spectrum more then the other. Usually it will be on the low to mid range where you would lose performance with too big of a carb. If you had an outright drag motor and only ran it at the strip, a G migth work pretty good, but there would still be better carbs for that application.

As far as overall displacement, yes a 1000cc motor is too small, so would a 4 5/8 stroke motor @1200cc. Reason being, when you increase the stroke you are not really increasing the volume of air in the intake tract, rather you are increasing the amount of time that air is being pulled through there. I'm not sure if I am making sense with this, but there is a difference in characteristics between a big bore and a stroker motor.

I hope this is somewhat helpful, I definetely do not mean to confuse.

No problem here ultra g,
the super G just has 2 much 2 offer for the 4 speed engine of mine. Hope one of those swaps that I spoke of earlier pans out. NBF

nativebroncofan
20th February 2012, 00:13
I had the cleaner cover powder coated silver vein and got it installed today.
Kinda had to mash the air filter a bit on the fit up. But here is the pic.

NBF