PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Rita

99XL1200S
21st September 2005, 04:07
Well fellow texans, the time has come. Me and my family are heading out thursday morning to the hill country. Im having to leave my sporty behind.. :frownone . Hope it'll be ok. God bless everyone along the coast. Doesnt look good its about 1 mph short of being a cat 3 and is still gaining stregnth.

cobra0478
21st September 2005, 04:28
We are getting ready to leave also,probably Thursday after noon.
The Sporty is in the trailer already.I have been thinking of heading to Laekey,wanting to check out the Alps of Texas. LOL.Having trouble finding reservations,The wife is going to call about a house in the morning that does 3 day min. rentals,it is on a 50 ft cliff overlooking the Frio river,if that is taken then I don,t know what I will do.

99XL1200S
21st September 2005, 04:42
shit i wish i had a trailer right about now. we were lucking in getting a cabin out in fredricksburg that also allows pets. I just hope i dont hit any major traffic jams. where do you live? i live in league city and they have a manditory evac on thurs at noon.

Takingabreak
21st September 2005, 04:51
Hey 99.

I would find a way to tow it with you, it sure the hell is a hole lot easier to get aroung on two wheels then four.
That, and you can sleep knowing your baby isn't under water or worse, stolen.

99XL1200S
21st September 2005, 04:58
I know, if i could fit it in my exploder i would :D Then I thought about riding it, but Id probaly get my ass kick by the wind and rain on the way back. Well Ive decided to take it to my pops house, his house is a little higher than ours, plus hes got an ultra classic and maybe they would take that instead of my sporty :p

Sportster Girl
21st September 2005, 12:31
plus hes got an ultra classic and maybe they would take that instead of my sporty :p

Don't take this wrong, but what you just said made me giggle.... :p

Seriously, hope all you guys and gals along the Texas coast make it out ok. We're all thinkin' about you right now!

cobra0478
21st September 2005, 17:24
We are in Baytown.
Just this morning got word of mandiatory evac for the city,we spent the morning securing the shop and are now preparing to leave town.
See you all when we get back.

doc
21st September 2005, 17:30
Ya'll guys and gals be safe down there. The only thing I have to worry about up here is tornados.

Streak70
21st September 2005, 18:18
Don, check out Neal's in Concan, just south of Leakey. They got lots of cabins and now that school has started, maybe some vacancies.
Neal's Lodges

P.O.Box 3
Concan, Texas 78838
(830) 232-6118
nealslod@hctc.net

We're already out of space for people - but I've garage space for bikes if it would be of any help to anybody. We're up in far north Austin.

BonRu
21st September 2005, 18:55
Don, also you could check with Frio Country (1-888-concan), maybe they have something. We found cabins in Bandera, but my sporty has to stay behind - no trailer to haul it, and nothing to pull it with since I sold my truck. Not the greatest timing. :frownthre I've always wanted to ride the hills in Bandera, and I'll be danged if the first time I get there, I can't take my bike. She has to stay in the garage, and hope for the best. I'm really sad about that. :frownone We have a "voluntary evac" in place because we're in the area to be hit by the storm surge (as well as the hurricane force winds), but I'm sure by tonight, if there's still people left hanging around, they'll make it mandatory. They're already talking about doing it. I'm heading out tomorrow morning. Take good care everyone!

Deicer18
21st September 2005, 19:01
Hey Bonnie, my Sis lives up around the Woodlands. Will she be alright there?
I called her last night and asked her and her family to come to Mississippi and she said they were going to stay put. Should I call her and be more forceful? She is all the immediate family I have left. :frownone

Predator
21st September 2005, 19:05
She's a solid CAT4 now. i hope it dies down as it gets closer.

http://maps.wunderground.com/data/images/at200518.gif

BonRu
21st September 2005, 19:14
Hey Bonnie, my Sis lives up around the Woodlands. Will she be alright there?
I called her last night and asked her and her family to come to Mississippi and she said they were going to stay put. Should I call her and be more forceful? She is all the immediate family I have left. :frownone

Right now, I think the Woodlands are probably the safest area to be for anyone remaining in the Houston grid. They are 80 miles straight up North of Galveston. She's still gonna get a lot of high winds and rain, and all the spin off storms, etc., but right now, she's as far away from it as she can be and still be considered part of the Houston area. They haven't asked any of them to evacuate yet; and in fact, they haven't asked anyone in the central Houston area to evac, and that's between her and Galveston. A lot of people from the coastal regions are heading to her neck of the woods until it blows over. I know a lot of people who live right downtown Houston who aren't going anywhere. They're saying the lower Southeast side of Houston and to the coast is the part that is going to get hammered the worst, and they're the ones they're telling to leave now. I think she should be okay up there, however, the hurricane is forcast to North as it hits land, and I'm not sure how much damage Katrina caused that far inland, but if Rita hits at a 5, and Katrina at a 4, then she might consider getting a move on now. Something to consider. ;) I hope all works out for her.

Streak70
21st September 2005, 19:22
I agree with Bonnie, if I were in the Woodlands I would probably stay. Biggest threat might be from those damned pine trees getting blown onto houses.

BonRu
21st September 2005, 19:24
Well, they just issued a mandatory evac for the southest portion of Houston (me), so I'm gonna log out and go pack up. We're heading out. Take care everyone, and please listen to all the warnings and evac recommendations!

doc
21st September 2005, 19:29
Good luck Bonnie!!! Hope everything turns out all right for ya!!!

PlanB
21st September 2005, 19:54
Be careful, Bonnie! If you, your beau, and girls need to come to Oregon to get away from all that mess, you've got a place to stay! Mike

cobra0478
21st September 2005, 19:58
Ok thanks guys for the leads,I called Neals and it turned out that they had just had a cancelation,I took it,we are packing now and should leave after midnight tonight.
Bonnie,or 99 either one.My truck bed will be empty,if you would like to meet me close to my home I will be glad to transport your sporty for you,just need to bring help to load it.
As a mater of fact,I could carry both,my wife is also taking her truck.
Call me.
832 556 1747

tonyhds
21st September 2005, 20:03
Good luck to all our forum brothers and sisters down on the gulf coast.
Hope it turns out not to be as bad as predicted, but I'm afraid its only going to pick up steam over the warm waters.
I think we will get some much needed rain and cooler temps in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area !

cobra0478
21st September 2005, 20:37
We are packing as tho we would loose anything left behind.
I truly expect to return to nothing.
We have taken every precaution possible with the things that must stay,I believe that we are @ 18-20 ft above sea level,and some of the old timers to the area are saying that rising water in my perticular area should not be as much a problem as the wind.
We sold our home in the country 4 years ago and moved to town to be closer to my job,with plains of buying again after I retire and moving back to the country.
Reciently we decided to buy in town,just haven't found the right place,I guess I am lucky in that,and kinda unlucky in the fact that there probably won't be anything avaliable after the storm.
Win,Loose,or Draw??????

sunkenloot
21st September 2005, 20:48
Man, yall be carefull down there. Ill be watching from Dallas with my wishes in the wind.

cantolina
21st September 2005, 20:58
Hang on, folks...

We'll be prayin for ya!

Looks to be gettin nasty about now...

Hope she slows down some...

cobra0478
21st September 2005, 21:03
Just upgraded to cat.5
It's time to wake up Leroy,cause Leroy an't never seen no shit like this is gonna be. :roflblack
What would disaster be without some humor??
I wonder if there are any job openings for experienced machinist somewhere away from the coast??? :rolleyes:

Streak70
21st September 2005, 21:20
Just upgraded to cat.5

Oh damn!
Y'all be carefull, traffic is probably gonna be a b***ch until you clear Houston, maybe for mile around. Also, if you can find any internet access when you get there try and check in and let us know how you fared.
Don, glad Neal's worked out for you. Got the route planned?

cobra0478
21st September 2005, 21:32
Got a route all plained,almost packed up.
Taking the puter with me,hope to have a connection of some kind aval.while there.
Also taking the cameras,will atleast be able to save some photos to share when we return.

99XL1200S
21st September 2005, 21:38
well we are packing up and heading out tonight, I-45 is backed up as far as i can see past 518 and it aint gonna get any better. we are hping itll die down a little bit later in the evening. we could sure use a miracle right about now, it aint lookin good. And about my bike its "safely" stored over at my pops house so I hope itll be fine. Yall take care and ill stop back by if I get a chance to get around a computer.

Later,

Jon

Lucifer
21st September 2005, 21:56
Please be safe, and the best of luck to all! Hopefully it won't be as bad as indicated!
Ride to Live!

DLM32
21st September 2005, 22:11
Got hit by one of Rita's outer bands about 2:30 this morning. Very high gail force winds and driving sideways rain for about thirty minutes. It had been raining on and off and a good breeze all day, but this lived up to last summer's three canes! Thought my back patio was coming off. That was with the eye of the storm (Cat 2 at the time) about 300 miles south of O Town and below the keys.

Just heard it's a Cat 5 and still 3 days out from the Lone Star State. This one could be worse than Katrina. Don't mess around! Get way inland!!!! Good luck and God Bless! :frownthre

PlanB
21st September 2005, 22:15
If you get near a public library where you'll be going to, hop on one of their computers and let us know you're ok! www.XlForum.net

greensport2000
21st September 2005, 22:22
good luck to all you good people in Texas, I hope everyone does alright..

XLFREAK
21st September 2005, 23:14
Don't forget to videotape or photograph your home, contents and yard before ya leave. Take if from someone who's been through it.....makes it a whole lot easier when the insurance man comes 'round with a checkbook.

txsporty
21st September 2005, 23:27
Sure ain't lookin good for you guys on the Coast!!! :frownthre

We're suppose to get some rain here in San Antonio, but nothing like the Coast is going to get!!! :yikes

I've got some room on my covered back porch if anyone needs to store their Scoot, PM me!!!

Wish I had a bigger House!!! :D

Sportster Girl
21st September 2005, 23:29
My prayers go out to all you guys! Please be safe!

I'm so tired of this crap.....

Get someplace safe... it looks like another bad one....

bigdogbark
21st September 2005, 23:35
The wife and dogs are staying behind along with my son and the dogs. I am heading north for job reasons. I believe they will be safe here in Humble. The son works for the Dept. of Correction so he will be working. But if it looks bad Friday I told the wife to head out to Little Rock or Hot Springs via the back roads.

Many stations are out of gas, no bottle water, and you know the rest.

Those with pets, I have 2 greyhoud and one little dog, how hard was it finding lodging with pets? If the worst comes my wife have kin in MO and she could go there.

Predator
21st September 2005, 23:53
The pic in my previous post updates automatically.
Here's a pic of rita now (won't update). She looks about 20% bigger that Katrina
http://www.nnvl.noaa.gov/members/images/109786.jpg

txsporty
21st September 2005, 23:53
bigdogbark

Most La Quinta take pets!!! :D

BonRu
22nd September 2005, 00:31
TxSporty, I'm heading your way - Bandera. Traffic is so bad right now, so we're going to be heading out around midnight or 1am - hope to get there by tomorrow morning. We've got cabins at a ranch out that way; some hunting lease place, I think.

Thanks to everyone for your well wishes!! It's getting a little chaotic around here; downright scary. I'm worried. :frownone My kids are safe, my pets are going with me, and my bike is in a garage and insured. I've done all I can do, so now all I have to do is .... Run, Forest, Run!

BonRu
22nd September 2005, 00:33
Be careful, Bonnie! If you, your beau, and girls need to come to Oregon to get away from all that mess, you've got a place to stay! Mike

Thanks Mike! I really appreciate the offer! Of course, I love Oregon so much, I might be the house guest that would never leave! :D

Tom Terrific
22nd September 2005, 05:39
IF ANY OF YOU GUYS COMING TO THE kERRVILLE AREA-BANDERA,LEAKEY, ETC NEED ANYTHING-IMFO OR HELP WITH ANYTHING, IM LOCATED IN INGRAM JUST WEST OF KERRVILLE. GIVE ME A CALL 830-377-4471 TOM

Tom Terrific
22nd September 2005, 05:50
ANOTHER QUICK THOUGHT FOR YOU GUYS COMING TO THE HILL COUNTRY-- IF WE GET THE KIND OF RAIN OUT OF THIS BITCH THAT WE MIGHT GET-HAVE SEEN AS MUCH AS 14 IN IF IT STALLS UP HERE. WATCH OUT FOR THE LOW WATER CROSSINGS AND OTHER AREAS CLOSE TO STREAMS AND CREEKS-BE A REAL SHAME TO DRIVE THIS FAR ONLY TO BE FLOODED OR WASHED OFF. IT COMES UP QUICK SO DONT TAKE CHANCES!!! TOM

xena
22nd September 2005, 06:03
Man this thing is sounding worse by the hour. I hope all of you who are in it's path are able to get yourselves and your family somewhere safe. I'll be thinking of you all.

RideoutKSC
22nd September 2005, 06:23
Hey all leaving Texas...I know this is a stretch but I live in Keene, NH and I'll let anyone stay here if they need it. Hurricanes are getting worse, and they're beginning to take a new path into the Gulf. Please be safe and head to higher ground...the storm surge is caused by the low pressure that a hurricane creates, essentially lowering the force of gravity on bodies of water.

Mi casa es su casa!

Good luck everyone!

Paulie420
22nd September 2005, 06:53
I wish all the local Houston guys good luck with the oncoming storm. My best friend lives in La Porte, by the Houston coast line around 30 miles from Galveston. He called this morning and told me they're packing up and heading to Austin. Pretty trippy, I just bought the Sporty when staying with him a few months ago. Seems so crazy that something is going to go to HTown. Hope everyone stays safe, and praying that it goes somewhere else!

Good luck folks.

Desertfox
22nd September 2005, 11:39
Spring Branch Area here. Got everything battened down that can be battened. Gonna tough it out here,and trust to God and luck. Can't go anywhere anyway. Freeways all over town are choked. Gas stations are all empty.

Pinwheel
22nd September 2005, 13:11
Well due to the increased wind speed expected here and the change of path that occured. I'm loading up my truck and we are hauling but. I've seen these houses being built out here. No way, no how will they stand the 140+mph hurricane force winds that the eyewall will be dishing out. The HUGE trees and the wind are my main concern. With a 3 year old. I don't want to risk it. Bikes are staying behind. Have full coverage and gap on the sporty so I'm not too worried about it. Animals will have to stay behind. 2 rots, 1 border collie and 1 cat. Dogs into garage, cat into interior bathroom.
Hope to return Saturday evening. Dont' know where we will go. May stay in our SUV over night. At this point, I don't care, just want out of the path.

Deicer18
22nd September 2005, 14:03
Pinwheel my Sis lives near the Woodlands and she says they are staying! This is worrying the shit out of me. I just talked to her 15 minutes ago and now I can't get thru by land line or cell. By the looks of this storm it will be going right up 59???? I will still try to talk her into coming to me. BTW we have room in Memphis area for any who need it.

Brent
901-832-6430

stevo
22nd September 2005, 14:05
take care guys ...... I live in a cyclone belt so I knows what ya's goin thru..

FSZEKE302
22nd September 2005, 14:06
Best to all you on the Texas coast, We're all praying for you. PLEASE get inland as far as you can. Was in Corpas for Celia in 69 [Navy]. Area is very vulnerable. Take what you can and get your families out. Godspeed.

Schmidtrock
22nd September 2005, 14:40
Anybody wants to come as far as Huntsville AL I've two spare rooms with beds.

Predator
22nd September 2005, 20:31
Back down to CAT4. This is good but it's swinging north now to Louisiana which could be bad.

tonyhds
22nd September 2005, 21:34
We are hearing some real horror stories from some of the people who have made it to the Dallas area. The trip that normally takes around 4 1/2 hrs, is taking 14 to 16 hrs.
Very long lines and even fights at the gas stations. Cars are breaking down, overheating, and running out of gas.
Just no good way for that many people to get out
Smart ones are taking the back roads.
Good luck to you all !

kmssporty05
22nd September 2005, 21:50
Good luck to all of you.

Streak70
22nd September 2005, 22:00
We are hearing some real horror stories from some of the people who have made it to the Dallas area. The trip that normally takes around 4 1/2 hrs, is taking 14 to 16 hrs.
Very long lines and even fights at the gas stations. Cars are breaking down, overheating, and running out of gas.
Just no good way for that many people to get out
Smart ones are taking the back roads.
Good luck to you all !

My brother just arrived here in Austin from Galveston, usually a 6 hr trip, took him 18 hours. He took some back roads, didn't work - too many smart people he guessed. He made some new friends, the line was at a dead stop for up to an hour so people got out and visited - nothing else to do.

Mr Jimi
22nd September 2005, 22:09
Hey!! guys!! We live in jacksonville, Florida!! If Ya need a place to put your Sporties?? We can do about 20 of them, in a block garage!!
Bring them on!
Jim :)

txsporty
23rd September 2005, 02:04
Update: It's turned north a bit, but landfall is still Houston area..

Both East and West Bound lanes from Houston to Seguin are WEST Bound only, Seguin is about 30 miles east of San Antonio.

People are being flown into Lackland AFB and Kelly U.S.A. today from the Coastal Area.

They're are no rooms to be found in the San Antonio, Austin area..

They have Sites set up all over San Antonio for evacuee's

Damn, I hope this is not going to be a Bad One!!!! :frownthre

If anyone needs any help in the San Antonio Area, Please feel free to Call me.
Cell # 210-669-5588

bigdogbark
23rd September 2005, 16:43
I had a flight out but it was cancelled late in the afternoon. So I am staying here in Humble, TX. (unable to get the gas) Still I feel safe with a 2 week supply of water and food.

Gas is hard to get, most of the stores are closed, I seen cars broken down with over-heating engines or over heated brakes. If you are lucky enought to be at a gas station off the interstate beside no gas they have no water or food.

The roads are in much better shape today and the government officals in Texas are doing a great job considering all the people.

I did see on one news station a motorcycle going between stop cars on I-10. If my ride was not in the shop due to brake damage when my jacket I had tied behind me wraped itself around the wheel, I would drain the little gas from my car and trunk, tie the gas to the back of the Sporster, and book.

Next week will bring the $4 or $5 gas here.

Scarlett
23rd September 2005, 17:39
You all are in my prayes....God bless and try and stay safe.

sportysrock
23rd September 2005, 18:12
This description of destruction sounds BAD. God bless you people on the Gulf Coast and inland, may he keep you safe. :)

Severe Weather Alert
URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE from the National Weather Service:

BRAZORIA-CHAMBERS-FORT BEND-GALVESTON-HARRIS-HOUSTON-LIBERTY- MONTGOMERY-POLK-SAN JACINTO-TRINITY-WALKER- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ANAHUAC...ANGLETON...PEARLAND... COLDSPRING...CONROE...CROCKETT...GROVETON...TRINIT Y...HOUSTON... PASADENA...HUNTSVILLE...LIBERTY...LIVINGSTON...COR RIGAN...RICHMOND... SUGARLAND...TEXAS CITY...GALVESTON 1103 AM CDT FRI SEP 23 2005

...INLAND HURRICANE WARNING IN EFFECT FOR BRAZORIA...CHAMBERS...FORT BEND...GALVESTON...HARRIS...HOUSTON...LIBERTY...MO NTGOMERY...POLK... SAN JACINTO...TRINITY...AND WALKER COUNTIES....

AN INLAND HURRICANE WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN SUSTAINED WINDS NEAR HURRICANE FORCE...OR FREQUENT GUSTS AT OR ABOVE HURRICANE FORCE...ARE CERTAIN WITHIN THE NEXT 12 TO 24 HOURS.

AT 10 AM CDT...HURRICANE RITA WAS IN THE NORTHWESTERN PORTION OF THE GULF AND IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE MOVING0 NORTHWEST. RITA IS FORECAST TO REACH THE UPPER TEXAS COAST AS A CATEGORY 4 HURRICANE LATE TONIGHT OR EARLY SATURDAY MORNING.

TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS ARE FORECAST TO REACH THE COASTAL COUNTIES BY EARLY THIS EVENING. HURRICANE FORCE WINDS WILL THEN BEGIN AROUND OR SHORTLY AFTER MIDNIGHT AND THEN SPREAD INLAND THROUGHOUT THE DAY SATURDAY.

FOR SUSTAINED WIND 90 TO 110 MPH WITH GUSTS 115 TO 135 MPH: EXTREMELY DANGEROUS WINDS WILL CAUSE EXTENSIVE DAMAGE...ALL MOBILE HOMES WILL BE DESTROYED!

STRUCTURAL DAMAGE... HOUSES OF POOR TO AVERAGE CONSTRUCTION WILL BE DESTROYED OR SEVERELY DAMAGED. MODERATE TO MAJOR DAMAGE OF WELL CONSTRUCTED HOUSES WILL INCLUDE FAILURE OF UP TO ONE HALF OF ALL GABLED ROOFS. IN ADDITION... UP TO ONE QUARTER OF EXTERIOR WALLS WILL FAIL.

ALUMINUM AND LIGHT WEIGHT STEEL ROOFS WILL BE TORN OFF BUILDINGS AT INDUSTRIAL PARKS. PARTIAL ROOF AND EXTERIOR WALL FAILURES ARE LIKELY AT LOW RISE APARTMENT BUILDINGS...ESPECIALLY THOSE OF POOR TO AVERAGE CONSTRUCTION. MOST WINDOWS IN HIGH RISE OFFICE BUILDINGS WILL BE BLOWN OUT...WITH OTHER MINOR TO MODERATE DAMAGE POSSIBLE DUE TO SWAYING.

AIRBORNE DEBRIS OF LIGHT TO MODERATE WEIGHT WILL CAUSE ADDITIONAL MAJOR DAMAGE...AS WELL AS INJURIES AND A FEW FATALITIES.

NEAR TOTAL POWER LOSS IS EXPECTED. UP TO ONE HALF OF ALL POWER POLES WILL BE KNOCKED DOWN...AND HUNDREDS OF TRANSFORMERS WILL POP. THE AVAILABILITY OF POTABLE WATER WILL BE DIMINISHED AS FILTRATION SYSTEMS BEGIN TO FAIL.

NATURAL DAMAGE... THOUSANDS OF TREES WILL BE SEVERELY DAMAGED. UP TO THREE QUARTERS OF ALL HEALTHY SMALL TO MEDIUM SIZED TREES WILL SNAP OR BE UPROOTED... MOST COMMON ON SATURATED GROUND. UP TO ONE HALF OF HEALTHY LARGE TREES WILL SNAP OR BE UPROOTED. SEVERE DAMAGE IS EXPECTED TO CITRUS ORCHARDS...SOME ORCHARDS MAY BE DESTROYED. MOST NEWLY PLANTED GROUND CROPS WILL BE WIPED OUT. LIVESTOCK LEFT OUTSIDE WILL BE INJURED... SOME CRITICALLY. A FEW LIVESTOCK DEATHS ARE LIKELY.

FOR SUSTAINED WIND 110 TO 130 MPH WITH GUSTS 140 MPH OR MORE:

CATASTROPHIC DAMAGE EXPECTED TO MAN MADE AND NATURAL STRUCTURES!

HOUSES OF POOR TO AVERAGE CONSTRUCTION WILL BE SEVERELY DAMAGED OR DESTROYED. WELL CONSTRUCTED HOMES WILL HAVE SUBSTANTIAL DAMAGE TO ROOF AND WALLS. DESTRUCTION MAY OCCUR TO HOMES WITH GABLED ROOFS... WITH THE WIND LIFTING THEM OFF. MORE THAN HALF OF ALL INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS WILL BE DESTROYED...OTHERS WILL HAVE PARTIAL ROOF AND WALL DAMAGE. WOOD FRAMED GARDEN APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL BE SEVERELY DAMAGED OR DESTROYED...AND OTHERS WILL HAVE PARTIAL ROOF AND WALL FAILURES.

HIGH RISE OFFICE BUILDINGS WILL SWAY DANGEROUSLY. MOST WINDOWS WILL BE BLOWN OUT...AND MODERATE STRUCTURAL DAMAGE IS POSSIBLE.

AIRBORNE DEBRIS...SOME PIECES GREATER THAN 50 POUNDS...WILL CAUSE EXTENSIVE DAMAGE. PERSONS...PETS...AND LIVESTOCK EXPOSED TO THE WINDS ARE AT GREAT RISK FOR INJURY OR DEATH.

ELECTRICITY AND WATER WILL BE UNAVAILABLE FOR DAYS...AND PERHAPS WEEKS...AFTER THE STORM PASSES. THE MAJORITY OF TREES WILL BE SNAPPED AND UPROOTED...MOST COMMON AMONG THOSE OF SMALL AND MEDIUM SIZE. CITRUS ORCHARDS WILL BE DESTROYED AS WILL ALL NEWLY PLANTED GROUND CROPS. ESTABLISHED GROUND CROPS WILL HAVE DAMAGE...WITH UP TO ONE HALF OF FIELDS NO LONGER ARABLE. LIVESTOCK EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL BE CRITICALLY INJURED OR KILLED.

PERSONS IN THE REGION SHOULD TAKE ACTION TO SECURE TRASH CANS...LAWN FURNITURE...AND OTHER LOOSE OR LIGHTWEIGHT OUTDOOR OBJECTS. HIGH WINDS CAN TOPPLE TREES...BLOW WEAKENED ROOFS OFF HOUSES...AND DOWN POWER LINES.

HURRICANE RITA IS COMPARABLE TO HURRICANE CARLA OF 1961...THE LAST DESTRUCTIVE CATEGORY 4 STORM TO HIT THE UPPER TEXAS COAST.

Predator
23rd September 2005, 21:20
Update:

Rita is now a CAT3. If it continues like this it should hit Texas as little more than a nasty storm.

txsporty
24th September 2005, 02:10
Looks like Galveston, Houston will be spared the total force of Rita!!!!

The Texas, LA border areas of Port Arthur and Beaumount will get hit the hardest!!! :frownthre

The only good thing is that it seems to be weakening somewhat!!!

People from the Corpus Christi area are already starting to return home from San Antonio!!

People in the TX, LA state line area Please be careful and good luck!!

BonRu
24th September 2005, 20:50
Thanks for all the prayers, Folks!! They worked! My family is safe, and my home seems to be in one piece, and we're all fine, because we headed for the hills - Texas Hill Country that is. It took us 20 hours to make a usually 4 hour trip, but that's okay, it was looking ugly, and our lives were worth it. Turns out, we didn't need to leave, but we certainly didn't want another New Orleans on our hands. Now, we're stuck here, as the govenor and mayor of Houston have issued a return schedule, and for people in my area, we're having to wait "until further notice" before we can head home. Probably Wednesday. I know I could "sneak" in, but the whole point of the schedule is so that we don't clog up the freeways like we did when we left, so that emergency crews can get through for the rescue efforts. That is okay for me, because it seems that the worst damage done in Houston was done to the building where I work, and they're not letting anyone into the building yet; so I cannot work anyway. I'm mostly concerned about my car right now as I decided to park it in my parking garage for "safe keeping," and that building and my work building were the two buildings damaged by the storm. Hmmm. I don't care, it's covered by insurance, and my Sporty didn't get damaged!! :banarasta

Anyway, thanks so much guys for your kind offers, your well wishes, and your prayers! I'll talk to you all soon!

txsporty
24th September 2005, 20:53
Bonnie

Good to hear your OK!!! :clap :clap :clap :clap

Looks like Houston was spared this Time!!

Sportster Girl
24th September 2005, 20:58
Hey Bonnie!

Glad you and your family are OK!

That's what's important...

Hope your car's ok too though....

Good to hear from you and the good news....

BonRu
24th September 2005, 20:59
Bonnie

Good to hear your OK!!! :clap :clap :clap :clap

Looks like Houston was spared this Time!!

DEFINITELY!!! I was wondering where you were; we got nothing but time. I'd love to meet you! Do you have football channels at your house? Hahaha! Just kidding. Our TV reception stinks, and we have no wireless internet at our "resort." We had to drive to Borne to get wireless. We're staying in Bandera at the only place we could find - "Lost Valley Resort." We brought the party with us, so we're doing great! Haha!

Tom Terrific
24th September 2005, 21:12
Glad you are all doing fine!! Babdera is not a bad place to weather out a storm!!!! Might want to try out the 11th street bar =good place sat night or Sun afternoon, check out Arkey Blues for original western style and the Caberet always has good bands on Sat night. We usually ride down to 11th st on sundy afternoons so might see yall there. Again glad you are doing fine hope everything is a you left it at home!!! Offer still stands if you guys need anything give me a call!

T

Streak70
24th September 2005, 21:16
Glad you're OK Bonnie. After listening to the story of my brother's Galveston-Austin trip I was worried. Wish the others would check in!
So you're stuck for a couple of days - what will be, will be, so you might as well kick back and relax a bit!

BonRu
24th September 2005, 21:35
Glad you are all doing fine!! Babdera is not a bad place to weather out a storm!!!! Might want to try out the 11th street bar =good place sat night or Sun afternoon, check out Arkey Blues for original western style and the Caberet always has good bands on Sat night. We usually ride down to 11th st on sundy afternoons so might see yall there. Again glad you are doing fine hope everything is a you left it at home!!! Offer still stands if you guys need anything give me a call!

T

Oh, we're having a great time!! Hahaha! If my boss only knew! ;)

My buddy has come up here a lot, and he loves the 11th Street Bar; was there last night. Maybve we'll head over there tomorrow!

99XL1200S
25th September 2005, 18:48
Well that was one of the craziest and scariest things Ive ever been through. We decided to leave at 8pm on wednesday night and head out to fredericksburg (west if Austin) we had a cabin reserved out there for us until monday. We saw the bad traffic and was gonna try taking some back roads, but come to find out everyone else had the same idea. Well we ended up on beltway 8 and stayed on there for about 12 hours in gridlock, traffic was moving an average of about 2 miles every 2-3 hours at some points. We decided that we had NO chance to get to Fredericksburg, since I-10 and 290 were backed up to as far as I could see, so we decided to head to Tomball since we knew some people out there that werent leaving. We stopped off and rested a little bit, I took about a 15 minute nap, and tried to find some gas, NO LUCK, no gas, no food, no stores open, so we stayed in traffic for another 3 hours and really went nowhere. So we decided to go back to Tomball. Actually found a hotel that took pets and had a vacancy at the Hampton INN. Got everyone in and safe around 5 pm thursday. Total drive time to go the actual 55 miles it takes to get to Tomball from League City = 18 freakin hours, the worse time I have ever spent doing anything.

Well Friday niight got better when we heard the storm was moving to the east and was gonna miss gavleston, and we had power at the hotel till about 230 am -6 am. We made a decision to leave that morning (Saturday) and head in since all reports were showing minimal damage. It took us about 50 minutes to get home from the hotel. League City looked pretty good and the best part was that my sporty and my parents house was still standing, no leaks or broken windows. :clap

I hope everyone else was as lucky as we were. Im looking forward to taking my sporty out for a long ride here very soon.

Tom Terrific
26th September 2005, 06:46
Hey Bonnie enjoyed the meet today at 11th street-sorry we had to run off so soon!! glad you guys are goig to be able to get back home soon. Give a call when you can get back up-we will ride!! S. Padre is coming up next month come on down!!!

T.

Streak70
26th September 2005, 16:25
Almost everyone accounted for. We haven't heard from cobra yet, I hope he's tubing in the Frio river at Concan.
I wish I could have made a road trip to Bandera yesterday but my brother and his family are here from Galveston so I fired up the grill while he entertained us with the details of his 18 hr trip from Galveston. His '04 'vette coughed and spit the bit out at the corner of Hwy 6 and 90A in Stafford.
Considering the many possible outcomes of this affair, I would say we fared pretty well. Everybody be careful on their return trips.

BonRu
26th September 2005, 18:40
I'm HOME!!! :clap Everything and everyone came through with shining colors. I'm ready for some work; too much rest can be a bad thing. Been cleaning the pool; I think an entire maple tree dropped all it's leaves in there while we were gone, but I am very thankful that that is all I have to clean up. Thanks again for all the well wishes, everyone!

Tom, it was great meeting you!! David and I will definitely be coming up in the next couple of months; and this time we're bringing our bikes! I can't wait to hit those hills with you guys. Maybe we can arrange to meet up with TxSporty and Streak too.

I hope everyone faired as well as we did.

doc
26th September 2005, 18:42
Glad you made it safely!!! If you need help cleaning the pool, you might ask Kath and Joe... :hidechai

99XL1200S
26th September 2005, 19:28
Its good to hear everyones making it home safe. I hope everyones sporty is still in good shape, we all really need a good ride on them after this whole thing. :tour :tour :tour

cobra0478
27th September 2005, 23:54
Made it home @ 2:30 this afternoon,thank god there was no damage here.
Glad to hear that everyone made it through safely,pitty the people to our East and North East.
I have the same outragus stories as everyone about the traffic and the fuel as you all have heard from others,left Baytown at 8:30 Wed night arrived at Concan@ 2:30 Friday afternoon,minor accident will have to replace the front bumper on my truck,and the rear bumper on another traveler's truck.
BUT!!!!
Saturday,Sunday and Monday,
We rode,and rode,and rode some more,We would ride into Leakey and from there pick a road and continue untill we had made a loop back into Lakey,we did a long list of towns,nice twisty's and hills,glad I had the 5 gal tank on with a fuel gage.I would guess in the three days riding and site seeing we did probably 1500 miles on the bike,weather was sunny and a warm 100+degrees,stoped in Uvalde one day temp was 107,later that same day in Leakey it was 105.
I had been thinking of selling the Sporty and buying a larger bike,well now maybe keep the Sporty and buy a larger bike,just normal cruising for me,I found the BT's getting in my way wheather it be in the twisties or the flat straights,the Sporty gained a lot of respect in the past few days from me,and I am sure a couple BT owners.
Sorry there are no photos,we were having so much fun we didn't think of a camera untill we were on our way.
We are hopeing to return for the Thanksgiving holidays weather permiting.

txsporty
28th September 2005, 01:51
Don

Good to hear everything is OK with you!!! :clap :clap

If you get this way around Thanksgiving give me a Shout, I'm just down the road from the Hill Country!!!! AKA: Gods Country :D

Streak70
28th September 2005, 14:12
Glad everyone's back. Don, sounds like you kinda' liked the riding out there. Hope Neal's treated you well. Sounds like you dropped by the Motorcycle Stop in Leakey, Robin there usually sends visitors off on the 335, 336, 337 loop which she calls motorcycle nirvana, and there's lots more when you finish that ride.

cobra0478
28th September 2005, 18:25
Glad everyone's back. Don, sounds like you kinda' liked the riding out there. Hope Neal's treated you well. Sounds like you dropped by the Motorcycle Stop in Leakey, Robin there usually sends visitors off on the 335, 336, 337 loop which she calls motorcycle nirvana, and there's lots more when you finish that ride.

The people at Neals were great,I did visit the motorcycle shop,they were great as well with some good directions.
We picked up one of their maps of the local area and made almost every town within 100 miles of Leakey,we are hopeing to ride there with cooler temps.
That is definantly POLE COUNTRY.For thoes of you not fimiliar with the term.
That is where the liziards all carry poles,they run for a while,stick the pole in the ground and climb up to cool their feet.
I wish we had thought to break out the camera for our rides.
Before we return there I will make a post and mabe we can get some of the people local there together for some riding.

Sportster Girl
28th September 2005, 23:18
That is definantly POLE COUNTRY.For thoes of you not fimiliar with the term.
That is where the liziards all carry poles,they run for a while,stick the pole in the ground and climb up to cool their feet.
I wish we had thought to break out the camera for our rides.

Dude, are you pulling my leg? I'm an old country girl, (but not from Texas, dang, we can't ALL be from Texas!) but I've never heard that one!

Lizards carrying poles? You $hi$&n me? :p

PlanB
29th September 2005, 00:25
Me thinks this is another Texas yarn that's been exagerated over the years! But I have seen stranger things in Texas during my visits! I've seen grown women hanging off of poles there, and I always wondered what they were doing...they were cooling off their feet! Well...I'll be! :D

cobra0478
29th September 2005, 00:31
Dude, are you pulling my leg? I'm an old country girl, (but not from Texas, dang, we can't ALL be from Texas!) but I've never heard that one!

Lizards carrying poles? You $hi$&n me? :p

No joke.
Ask some of the people who live in that area.
Smart lizzards have cool feet. :laugh

cobra0478
29th September 2005, 00:34
Mike,
Where do you live?
With all the riding and area we covered we may have passed close to you.

txsporty
29th September 2005, 02:18
Mike,
Where do you live?
With all the riding and area we covered we may have passed close to you.

I'm in Converse on the Northeast side of San Antonio!! I can shoot down 90 to 173 and be in Hondo in no time!!! :D