PDA

View Full Version : hesitation with S&S super e

hdpearson13
3rd January 2008, 21:58
I believe i got it jetted right with a 66 main but still when i crack the throttle it hesitates any suggestions. Ive been playing with the carb but cant gett it dialed in. The acc. pump helps out a bit but will make it fire through the intake port manifolds so dont want to use that to much. I can roll the throttle flawlessly but I want to crack the throttle so I can out run my freinds new thriumph when were messing around from a dead stop. Also i would love to get the front wheel up. I am sure thats its right before main comes into play. but could it be because its dual fire also? thanks again for all your helps

iamarcher
3rd January 2008, 22:33
I've got a super e on mine and you cant just wick it open fast under load. you have to roll the throttle on. It is marginally too big of a carb for an ironhead, and i think the 83 has much milder cams than my 79. I haven't had to mess with my carb too much but i'm sure someone here will have some advice to offer. Maybe your timing isn't quite right if it "fires through the intake". I assume you mean backfiring.

fdny37
3rd January 2008, 23:54
If you pick up the February issue of American Iron there is an in depth article on how to tune the Super E & G. Basically shut down the accelerator pump by turning in the screw. Take the bike for a ride and roll into the throttle at 2000-2500 rpm. It should pull cleanly with no stumble or misfire. If it feels sluggish, the intermediate jet is too large. If the bike surges or spits back through the carb the intermediate jet is too small. Do yourself a favor and pickup this issue it is very informative.

hdpearson13
4th January 2008, 03:11
thanks I did just get that mag this afternoon thats funny. I have tried what the article says it pulls smooth as long as i dont punch it. It might need to be stroked, cammed and some head work but thats goin to be down the road thanks again

wabiker
4th January 2008, 03:46
yea Street S&S's dont like crack... They like being Stroked first...

Hey I think I just made a Pun...!

Get the gas flowing first...Before ya Crank the throttle.

BuckIRyder
4th January 2008, 16:53
IMHO you won't have any luck tuning an "E" to get to the point of being to open the throttle witha quick snap of the wrist. Air is just not moving thru it quickly enough with an Ironhead. Just roll it on quickly.

fdny37
4th January 2008, 17:11
BuckI,
Wabiker is right Ironheads like to be stroked first then cracked. When I crack the throttle hard and fast on my 93ci with the Super E the bike leaps. But you're right, it is probably to big of a carb for a stock motor and might stumble somewhat.

hdpearson13
4th January 2008, 21:56
I wish I could do atleast the 74 inch stroker with some head work and cams that would make my day a 93 has got to be fun

geraldxlch
4th January 2008, 22:13
I believe that it the accelerator pump that needs to be adjusted. This is what gives the squirt of fuel when you crack open the throttle. S&S has good documentation on its website for setting up and jetting these carbs. I have an E type on my bike and response is good when I whack it open. No sputter or pops.

marioserafica
8th January 2008, 23:33
I believe that it the accelerator pump that needs to be adjusted. This is what gives the squirt of fuel when you crack open the throttle. S&S has good documentation on its website for setting up and jetting these carbs. I have an E type on my bike and response is good when I whack it open. No sputter or pops.

Hi Gerald,
does a S&S E carb fit a 68 xlch with stock magneto? and what about cold starting with that carb? Thanks and wishes Mario (stock 68xlch, but with Bendix on)

carmine73
9th January 2008, 00:09
I also had that problem and whacking it open from a low idle usually preferred by most is going to produce a hesitation. for me the cure was to idle it around 900 rpm and lower the main jet slightly. I am using a 64 main and a .0295 intermediate jet. my bike is stock and running a super e with a kn foam airfilter. and 1 1/4 strait drag pipes without baffles . Also be sure to check the mechanical advancer mecanism on later models this thing tends to jam up. Also. moving the timing may produce the response you want but it may also have side effects such as hard starting kick back. ect... id say try the smaller jet but beware going too small will cause a lean condition making the engine run hotter. Also i found indexing my plugs helped a bit on low end performance. Good luck and i hope you get it ironed out.

carmine73
9th January 2008, 00:17
Hi Gerald,
does a S&S E carb fit a 68 xlch with stock magneto? and what about cold starting with that carb? Thanks and wishes Mario (stock 68xlch, but with Bendix on)

I dont know about fitment with a magneto the air cleaner cover is big but it should clear i would check out their website http://www.sscycle.com/ for fittment. I never have problems with mine but it did take a little getting used to. I rode mine today it didnt give me any sh@# it was about 40 degrees f today in the morning when i started it up and my oil was readin 20 degrees f it took its usual 3 priming kicks ignition off and 1 kick iggy on

idiggplants
9th January 2008, 04:05
something that hasnt been cleared up here is how much it is really hesitating or stumbling.

my s&s e runs pretty darn good on the bike. but i would like a bit more throttle response out of it so im looking into a booster kit for it. i have a thread started in the carb forums to try and find out a bit more info on it. perhaps it may be the route for you as well.. but i would first play with the accelerator pump.. a pretty easy adjustment. basically turn it in till it stumbles, then back it out a tiny bit at a time untill it doesnt stumble anymore.

samppa
9th January 2008, 07:09
something that hasnt been cleared up here is how much it is really hesitating or stumbling.

my s&s e runs pretty darn good on the bike. but i would like a bit more throttle response out of it so im looking into a booster kit for it. i have a thread started in the carb forums to try and find out a bit more info on it. perhaps it may be the route for you as well.. but i would first play with the accelerator pump.. a pretty easy adjustment. basically turn it in till it stumbles, then back it out a tiny bit at a time untill it doesnt stumble anymore.

Please report your results with booster kit if you go for it.

I've used Yost power tube in all 3 of my super E's with good results (=easier cold starting, better response in low rpm's and smoother overall throttle response).

Bill Jones
9th January 2008, 13:17
Hi Gerald,

I am not Gerald but I have a "E" on my 69 XLCH. It required a 1" aluminum spacer, a 1/4" phenolic spacer, and a 90 degree fuel inlet. It is tight against the plug wires but it fits.

BuckIRyder
9th January 2008, 13:58
I agree on the Yost tube. Put one in my "E" and it made mine smoother overall. Tried it in the Mikuni on my '99 Heritage and it ran better without it. I too would be interested in the results of a booster venturi installation.

geraldxlch
9th January 2008, 14:58
The S&S E will fit on magneto bikes but the fuel inlet interfers with the top of the mag. A 90 degree inlet helps but S&S does not supply them. Try your auto parts house and take your carb with you. Even with the 90 degree fitting the fuel line will conflict. It can be made to work but it is tight.
My fuel line sits right on top of the mag and passes between the two plug wires. The spacer mentioned above helps get the fuel line to the outside of the ignition wires but makes the carb stick out kinda far. I have also seen the mag turned 180 degrees, this gives plenty of room for fuel line but requires making a different carb support bracket than the one from S&S.

Gone
9th January 2008, 15:30
I run the booter kit from
http://www.xxxcarburetors.com/index.html
in both my bikes and am pleased!

idiggplants
9th January 2008, 15:34
Please report your results with booster kit if you go for it.

I've used Yost power tube in all 3 of my super E's with good results (=easier cold starting, better response in low rpm's and smoother overall throttle response).

i definitely will. im waiting to get a bit more feedback from people who have used the product. hopefully on an ironhead.. but i will probably be purchasing and installing it mid summer. this will give me enough riding time to get used to the new drags, and to give me a decent baseline to compare it to.

marioserafica
9th January 2008, 20:18
I am not Gerald but I have a "E" on my 69 XLCH. It required a 1" aluminum spacer, a 1/4" phenolic spacer, and a 90 degree fuel inlet. It is tight against the plug wires but it fits.

Thanks Mario

marioserafica
9th January 2008, 20:20
The S&S E will fit on magneto bikes but the fuel inlet interfers with the top of the mag. A 90 degree inlet helps but S&S does not supply them. Try your auto parts house and take your carb with you. Even with the 90 degree fitting the fuel line will conflict. It can be made to work but it is tight.
My fuel line sits right on top of the mag and passes between the two plug wires. The spacer mentioned above helps get the fuel line to the outside of the ignition wires but makes the carb stick out kinda far. I have also seen the mag turned 180 degrees, this gives plenty of room for fuel line but requires making a different carb support bracket than the one from S&S.

Thanks Mario