PDA

View Full Version : biggest flaw in xlforums.. dangerous

idiggplants
5th January 2008, 19:22
well here is my issue. i post mostly in the ironhead section. when i ask questions there, i do so because i am looking for information from ironhead owners. for example. i started a thread about what tools people carry. i didnt put it in the general forum because i dont care what tools people carry if they have a evo. same as how i dont care what big twin owners carry. same as how i dont care what metric guys carry.

well, because of the homepage of xlforums, everyone that posts here, comes to xlforums, sees that post, and doesnt notice what forum its in, and they give advice like fuse pullers, and other stuff that isnt useful to me.

a simple inconveniance.

now go into more serious issues. when people start giving advice on troubleshooting. replace the fuse? we dont have fuses. and this could get dangerous. bad advice on motorcycles can leave someone stranded, or worse, cause a crash.

now all in all, you could blame the posters for not noticing what forum they are posting in. or you could say the question asker should notice that they shouldnt really hold merit to the advice from someone with a 2007 xl in the topic of points, but really, there is a pretty simple solution. a redesign of the home page. i believe the home page should have links to the different forums. not the different posts.

i mean, really. look around the ironhead forums. its insane how much bad information is floating around due to people not realizing where they are posting. and i mean no disrespect to these people. they are trying to help out their fellow riders. and kudos to that. but they arent realizing their mistake. nor will they.

-digg

CaptEvo
5th January 2008, 19:41
Maybe the Ironhead section should be a subscribe to only forum like P&R. Might cut down on the cross traffic.

dagsportster
5th January 2008, 20:07
I never surf by forum, I just have the active thread page bookmarked, so I see the posts across all. It's easy to post in the wrong section that way. I do make an effort when posting model-specific advice to look at the model info in the upper right corner of the original poster's message.

langner91
5th January 2008, 20:10
It's kinda like Nightsters....

only different.

Desertfox
5th January 2008, 20:12
There are probably a lot of peo;e like me that just check new posts to see whats happening on the Forum. See a post title that interests them and go to it. Don't really look at the particular forum it is in. As to your specific point? Well we are all here trying to help and most people mean well. Trust me.... you could do worse.

idiggplants
5th January 2008, 20:16
ohh totally, the people mean well. no doubt about that. otherwise they wouldnt be giving advice to help other people. im just saying that the way it is set up, a lot of bad info gets put in there.

JayFL459
5th January 2008, 20:17
Very Good Point... I try to watch where Thread is localized but probably have pointed out a wrong thing, but have had several Sportsters from 1969 on. But will keep in mind to look a little closer..

CrazyHorse
5th January 2008, 20:19
I only post to the "IRONHEAD SECTION" as I only own, ride or care about an Ironhead Sportster. ( not counting my Brit iron/aluminum addiction)

It would "seem" that an Evo guy would not read, post or care about an Ironhead?????

It would be most helpful for the Ironhead forum to only have Ironhead info posted to it.

I mean like come on.......AS AN EXAMPLE......do the EVO guys want me posting Ironhead inf in their section????????

OF COURSE NOT! What would be the point or gain?

Maybe it does need to be made more clear "what section" you are posting in???

For myself..........I have no problems there. I read & post only where it pertains to me. I find the IRONHEAD section easily.

I have no clue what other's problems with this simple thing are????????

Desertfox
5th January 2008, 20:38
Now what? The Ironhead guys don't want anyone who doesn't own an Ironhead to post in "THEIR" forum? Guys who might like them or have question about them , or like talking about them stay the F:censorCK out? Geeze you guys are getting as bad as the BT snobs. Believe me there are a lot worse things that can happen to you in life than reading the odd post that does not profit you personally.

shotgun46
5th January 2008, 20:44
Oh I dont have an Ironhead but I love to read about them and look at the pretty pictures ! It is an open Forum !

shotgun46
5th January 2008, 20:45
Now what? The Ironhead guys don't want anyone who doesn't own an Ironhead to post in "THEIR" forum? Guys who might like them or have question about them , or like talking about them stay the F:censorCK out? Geeze you guys are getting as bad as the BT snobs. Believe me there are a lot worse things that can happen to you in life than reading the odd post that does not profit you personally.

Thats funny & we cant post in the Nightster section either ? LMFAO !

Roadster_Rider
5th January 2008, 20:45
So, fuses and fuse pullers are your biggest issue? If fuses are the only example you can give, stfu and suck it up.

toadster
5th January 2008, 20:52
So, fuses and fuse pullers are your biggest issue? If fuses are the only example you can give, stfu and suck it up.

You could use a penny instead of a fuse and it should be fine.:D

nzsailor
5th January 2008, 20:57
geez guys
pull on your tie dies
spin a donovan record
toke a joint
and give peace a chance
the guy just offered an opinion

snowman
5th January 2008, 20:58

Relax, man.... The guy did a decent job of making his point and if there is a way to make the forum better, that's always been worth looking at from Bert's point of view. If there is no way to accommodate him, he'll have to look thru the fuse posts and the nightster responses like the rest of us....:geek:geek:geek

flathead45
5th January 2008, 21:01
one thing that we can do is add the word "ironhead" to the thread title, and mention it in the original post a few times. I mean, what the hell. we're proud of our iron so brag about it a bit when ya ask your question :smoke

Ivan RoachCoach
5th January 2008, 21:14
...info about IHs going around as it is.

It's so simple: If you don't ACTUALLY own, wrench on, or ride an ironhead --- don't offer technical advice or opinions on ironheads.

Guys who post questions on the subject are looking for real-world, hands-on, been-there/done-that answers.

Otherwise, your point is moot.

druber13
5th January 2008, 21:28
Man, I hope I didnt post info there! I really dont think I did, I do know about them too. I wll make sure to check the topic b4 posting. Point taken.

bearsfan
5th January 2008, 21:32
well here is my issue. i post mostly in the ironhead section. when i ask questions there, i do so because i am looking for information from ironhead owners. for example. i started a thread about what tools people carry. i didnt put it in the general forum because i dont care what tools people carry if they have a evo. same as how i dont care what big twin owners carry. same as how i dont care what metric guys carry.

well, because of the homepage of xlforums, everyone that posts here, comes to xlforums, sees that post, and doesnt notice what forum its in, and they give advice like fuse pullers, and other stuff that isnt useful to me.

a simple inconveniance.

now go into more serious issues. when people start giving advice on troubleshooting. replace the fuse? we dont have fuses. and this could get dangerous. bad advice on motorcycles can leave someone stranded, or worse, cause a crash.

now all in all, you could blame the posters for not noticing what forum they are posting in. or you could say the question asker should notice that they shouldnt really hold merit to the advice from someone with a 2007 xl in the topic of points, but really, there is a pretty simple solution. a redesign of the home page. i believe the home page should have links to the different forums. not the different posts.

i mean, really. look around the ironhead forums. its insane how much bad information is floating around due to people not realizing where they are posting. and i mean no disrespect to these people. they are trying to help out their fellow riders. and kudos to that. but they arent realizing their mistake. nor will they.

-digg

I personally LIKE the way the forum is now. If a topic interests me, I read it. If it doesn't, I pass it by.

As for the paragraph I made bold above - I realize we live in a world where the vast majority of people refuse to be held accountable for their own decisions and/or actions - but it is still ultimately up to the person taking the advice to determine if it is accurate and/or pertinent to them. You kinda have to take the good with the bad - we're all human after all and everyone makes mistakes.

debster
5th January 2008, 22:15
It would "seem" that an Evo guy would not read, post or care about an Ironhead?????

I read posts in the IH section all the time; I have a special fondness for them and a curiosity about them. And they ARE Sportsters, after all. Or maybe I'm exempt from being banished in the IH section because I'm an Evo girl, not an Evo guy. :smoke

AussieGazza
5th January 2008, 22:31
I think I'm the originator of the problem.

I class fused links, circuit breakers, relays etc as 'fuses'. Ironheads have none of these? My apologies for posting.

I would never post anything that is dangerous or not from experience.

But if this is the worst example you can find, then you are really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

druber13
5th January 2008, 22:34
I only post to the "IRONHEAD SECTION" as I only own, ride or care about an Ironhead Sportster. ( not counting my Brit iron/aluminum addiction)

It would be most helpful for the Ironhead forum to only have Ironhead info posted to it.

I mean like come on.......AS AN EXAMPLE......do the EVO guys want me posting Ironhead inf in their section????????

OF COURSE NOT! What would be the point or gain?

Maybe it does need to be made more clear "what section" you are posting in???

For myself..........I have no problems there. I read & post only where it pertains to me. I find the IRONHEAD section easily.

I have no clue what other's problems with this simple thing are????????

I am interested in all bikes. I will READ and POST anywhere I like.:banana

rottenralph
5th January 2008, 22:44
Why not start each post with. I have an ironhead and need specific advice.

All in all, most information is good and the forum is a great place to get ideas.

rickxx
5th January 2008, 22:50
why not start your thread with....."for those of you with ironheads...." if you're looking for some ironhead specific info.

oh, btw, i found this on my most current posts page.

rickxx
5th January 2008, 22:50
rr, i see we think alike....gee that's scary!

snowman
5th January 2008, 22:57
rr, i see we think alike....gee that's scary!

What's even more scary is RR and I think alike too (sometimes...) and I only live 30 miles from you.....:roflblack:roflblack:roflblack

khaskins
5th January 2008, 23:05
Still a Sportster, just the original version. We should avoid infighting, because all the Bt riders still think that it's a girls bike.:laugh:laugh:laugh

flathead45
5th January 2008, 23:17
and remember that the advice you get on line is worth exactly what ya paid for it :smoke

phantom
5th January 2008, 23:29
Some of us have owned Ironheads & Evos.So when we give advice we don't get confused between the two.Not yet anyways,senility hasn't set in yet Ok ,so what was the question again.Mmmmm!

Horse
5th January 2008, 23:32
Between this forum and your FSM, the only thing dangerous is the person turning the wrench, doing so without gathering all available information first. My 70 had breakers(fuses), loved that bike, but it was a love hate relationship, have my sportster knee to remind me of it when the weather changes. I rode the snot out of that bike, everywhere. Sold it to a guy that rode the snot out of it, the guy he sold it to rode the snot out of it before he wrapped it around a guardrail in a snow storm.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c10/Sumdaen/NVE00003.jpg

Sooo... Just because I ride a BT, doesn't mean I don't have input. In fact, the only type of sporty I havent owned is a rubbermount. I still own an 89" 87 stroker, I gave my mom my last sporty when I bought the Street Bob, so I still do the wrenching on that one.

Posters posting in the wrong forum trying to help, inconvenient maybe, but far from dangerous, it's on the wrench to take the best info and move forward.

DudleyDoRight
6th January 2008, 00:05
Snip... because of the homepage of xlforums, everyone that posts here, comes to xlforums, sees that post, and doesnt notice what forum its in, and they give advice like fuse pullers, and other stuff that isnt useful to me.

a simple inconveniance.

-digg
It would help if regular posters would use the forum link instead of the XL Forum Homepage. This is what I have saved to my Favorite links.
http://www.xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/index.php
Go there first and you know exactly where the questions come from.

Shevieman
6th January 2008, 00:18
"What color is your nigh.....er.....uh.... Ironhead."

"Do these chaps make my butt look big when I ride my Ironhead."

"What kinda of oil should i lubricate myself with when I ride my Ironhead."

Jeeze people! If you cant tell the difference between good advice and bad advice then your in a world of hurt. How long did it take to learn your bike didnt have fuses? Hopefully not any longer than it took to read that post. Alot of us here have owned both. I have. Your post really shows how self rightous you really are. Your bike is no better than mine.

If your dont like how this site is ran start your own. Seems like you have no idea what amount of time of money it takes to run a site like this only to have some jerk come in and tell you how to run it. I believe this site is ran quite well and has an above average personality of membership. Please DONT BRING IT DOWN with your attitude and self rightiousness.

THESE ARE MY OPINIONS IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THEM TAKE THEM UP WITH ME. If you dont like them DONT READ THEM.

Shev

DudleyDoRight
6th January 2008, 00:29
Shev, please, have a little more compassion for some of these Hardcore Ironhead guys. Alot of them just got their first computer this Christmas.:laugh

Shevieman
6th January 2008, 00:40
OH if thats the case then they shouldnt be aloud to post in the normal forum! there should be a beginners forum! Lord knows we dont care about the newbies or what computer they have!

Folkie
6th January 2008, 00:44
Not all posts in the Ironhead section relate to technical information about ironheads, and not all ironhead related technical stuff is unique to ironheads. I don't find much of a problem noticing if a post is in 'Ironhead Talk', 'Frame Mount EVO Talk', or whatever; I think I'm more likely not to notice what bike a poster has in 'Intake And Exhaust', or 'Suspension', etc. Some people not putting their bike in their profile (so it shows up in the top right corner) doesn't help either.

khaskins
6th January 2008, 00:45
OH if thats the case then they shouldnt be aloud to post in the normal forum! there should be a beginners forum! Lord knows we dont care about the newbies or what computer they have!

Dude, that's just not right!:laugh

druber13
6th January 2008, 00:49
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/719/medium/DSC_0045_Large_.JPG

KHASKINS, Thats one bad@ss bike you got there!!

Ole
6th January 2008, 00:57
ME-OW! Kitty scratches...

scottgearman
6th January 2008, 01:12
maybe it isn't the fuse...maybe it's a dirty fuel injector?

yeah, I'm kidding

MDT
6th January 2008, 01:16
I look through all the threads. But usually when I select one to read I notice what forum it relates to. One thing that would help avoid confusion would be to state model and year of bike, when asking a technical question. Many EVO and FI people are also ex-iron head people or do have the correct technical advice. And for the most part, although I may differ with someone's technical advice, I have not really seen anything that is totally off the mark.
I refrain from giving technical advice that I have not personally done sucessfully. If giving out advice on fitment or whatever I usually quote my source.
I apologize if I have ever given anyone on this sight a "bum steer".
My suggestion:
1. State the year and model of bike so a person doesn't have to look in your profile and make the assumption that you are talking about the same bike.
2. Put some fuses on that thing, before you burn it into the pavement.

Folkie
6th January 2008, 01:22
1. State the year and model of bike so a person doesn't have to look in your profile and make the assumption that you are talking about the same bike.Good point; sometimes people are asking about a totally different bike to what's in their profile.

ted
6th January 2008, 01:27
A personal observation. 9 out of 10 posts offering advice are totally worthless, no matter what section they are in. What do we have in here? A couple thousand members? Don't hold me to the figures, but 2% Ironhead, 5% 4 speed Evo Sporty, 15% 5 speed Sporty, 50% rubber mount, and the rest Buell. I'm thinking a huge majority are new Harley owners. Also there are very few that can turn a wrench, and a huge number that don't know what a wrench looks like.
So there you have it, we all give advice, no matter what skill level we belong to.
Do you go ask the kid flipping burgers at McDonalds questions about building a high performance Sporty engine? Of course not.
The forum is more of a social club than a technical group. Pick through the advice that is given very carefully. Research is your friend. There is plenty of very good information out there. All you need to do is decide which members you can count on to have the good info.
Ted

Moved On
6th January 2008, 01:45
idiggplants concern is valid across the entire forum.

I can't begin to count how many times I've seen incorrect information given to someone asking a question on a solid mount from someone with a rubber mount. I imagine most people have seen this.

It's important to fill in your model information in your user settings to help avoid getting bad info. It helps to put you're model in your sig. It helps to specify the model in your post.

It's more important to YELL WHEN YOU SEE SOME WRONG info posted. That's the only way that newbies that have a brand new bike and just learned how to turn a wrench on one piece doen't go spreading bad information because they're to inexperienced to know there are differences.

When you see someone post bad info tell them to pay attention and shut up when they don't know what they're talking about regarding different years.

WHen you give advice it's always handy to say what year you're experienced in too. I usually try to say something like "on my '03 it worked like this" or "on the '03 it did this but it was different on the '93".

Gazza

jwb
6th January 2008, 01:51
......................... but really, there is a pretty simple solution. a redesign of the home page. i believe the home page should have links to the different forums. not the different posts.
.........-digg

I think this suggestion would only raise a barrier to the free flow of information that we enjoy on this forum. It would inhibit my ability to scan the latest posts from all forums.

Even though I don't own an iron head, I feel free to respond to an iron head post if the subject is in a field of my competence. Of course as with anything else, buyer beware.

:chtwo

John

sportysrock
6th January 2008, 01:51
Don't post here, don't post there, all your posts suck, ... yada yada yada.

Really people, everyone has something to add unless they're a complete moron so lighten up.

Paulie420
6th January 2008, 02:03
I think most of us would agree with the original poster that it DOES suck to get info that is invalid or wrong. No matter what the platform.

However, I like to read ALL of the forum. I like hearing and learning about iron just as much as I do about the 04+'s.

I think the best advice in this whole thread is to write at the beginning of the thread the exact model and year you are asking about.

I also think Gary is right by saying SPEAK UP when you see invalid suggestions. This way, the original poster or a mod can change the info or kill the post...

But, I would hate not having nightster, ironhead, rubbermount, etc to not come up when I click on NEW POSTS...

I will watch when I post info or suggestions more carefully; and I think that everyone else should too... but I hope the entire forum stays open and viewable to everyone.

Hell, if I never read about iron or learn about it I'll NEVER own one... and I think I may want to if I ever learn enough to keep one maintained and running...

Just my two cents... lots of good suggestions in this thread - and yes I do UNDERSTAND where the original poster is coming from.

Be more clear when you ASK for advice; and make sure you post relevant advice when giving it.

Folkie
6th January 2008, 02:03
A personal observation. 9 out of 10 posts offering advice are totally worthless, no matter what section they are in. What do we have in here? A couple thousand members? Don't hold me to the figures, but 2% Ironhead, 5% 4 speed Evo Sporty, 15% 5 speed Sporty, 50% rubber mount, and the rest Buell. I'm thinking a huge majority are new Harley owners. Also there are very few that can turn a wrench, and a huge number that don't know what a wrench looks like.
So there you have it, we all give advice, no matter what skill level we belong to.
Do you go ask the kid flipping burgers at McDonalds questions about building a high performance Sporty engine? Of course not.
The forum is more of a social club than a technical group. Pick through the advice that is given very carefully. Research is your friend. There is plenty of very good information out there. All you need to do is decide which members you can count on to have the good info.
TedI think 9 out of 10 is putting it a bit high.

How many members are there? There are over 22,500 registered users, but that means nothing. Many of those may never have posted, or have stopped visiting the site long ago. I would guess there's something between 1,000 and 2,000 current, active, members. My What Sort Of Sporty Have You Got? thread gives some idea of the breakdown between the different types. There are 888 votes (from 865 people), and they break down as:
Ironhead: 11%
Frame Mount EVO: 32%
Rubber Mount: 35%
EFI: 22%

xena
6th January 2008, 02:08
Imo the forum is set up pretty well but, no matter how easy it is to read and find info, there will people who don't pay attention. Hell I've answered nightster or custom specific questions then later noticed it didn't apply to my bike. Not a big deal. We've all done it. I would hardly consider it a "flaw" or "dangerous". I search the forums mostly via the new posts link. It takes a second to look over to the right to see what forum the post is located in. If you notice you posted something that you later realize didn't apply to you then you can always delete your own post. I haven't heard a lot of complaints about this particular issue but I'm sure it happens in every forum out there.
For me, this forum is more of a technical source than it is a social gathering - just to touch base on teds comment. I do realize it is just the opposite for many people.

flathead45
6th January 2008, 02:08
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/HPM/CM518~Can-t-We-Just-Get-A-Bong-Posters.jpg

Folkie
6th January 2008, 02:15
For me, this forum is more of a technical source than it is a social gathering - just to touch base on teds comment. I do realize it is just the opposite for many people.For me, it's both, which is one of the great things about it. The technical info and help is great (mostly), but it's great just to 'meet' and chat to other Sporty owners too. Hell, it's thanks to the Forum that I've met a Sporty rider in the next village (about 8 miles away) that I would probably never have met otherwise!

Irondrake77
6th January 2008, 02:37
if this isn't a social forum then I've spent way too much time in the "Hots for an XLF member thread" :D

Moved On
6th January 2008, 02:54
What do you ain't got no fuses ????? you got whoppers right ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVm84MD4vU4

Gazza

cantolina
6th January 2008, 03:18
What do you ain't got no fuses ????? you got whoppers right ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVm84MD4vU4

Gazza

That's funny right there.....:laugh

johnnybgood
6th January 2008, 03:31
Some information pertains to ALL bikes. And just 'cause a guy owns an Ironhead doesn't mean he won't unwillingly give you bogus information. Like was stated earlier, just have to read through the bs.

John

druber13
6th January 2008, 03:49
I think 9 out of 10 is putting it a bit high.

How many members are there? There are over 22,500 registered users, but that means nothing. Many of those may never have posted, or have stopped visiting the site long ago. I would guess there's something between 1,000 and 2,000 current, active, members. My What Sort Of Sporty Have You Got? thread gives some idea of the breakdown between the different types. There are 888 votes (from 865 people), and they break down as:
Ironhead: 11%
Frame Mount EVO: 32%
Rubber Mount: 35%
EFI: 22%

Right on folkie. I have learned alot on here and havent been a member that long. I have worked on Harleys when I was just a kid. The cool guy on the block had one. 61 pan head, I rode it when I was 14! Theres more right info than wron, jmo.

XLXR
6th January 2008, 04:02
Maybe just being specific about which bike you have when asking a question about it.

There is no question there is a lot of bad information. But then, that goes with being an open forum where every numb nuts thinks his opinion is the best. It is up to the reader to determine what applies to him.

milmat1
6th January 2008, 04:14
Hell I just Post and Reply All over the Dam Place !!! (Ask any Mod :laugh)

Be Specific about your question and you'll get a more specific answer. If you expect us to actually be paying attention, Well thats just not gonna happen :doh

Like most I generally clic the "New Post" to see what is happening. I
think when new people come on board they tend to read all through the different forums. Thats why the old threads keep rebounding. But after a while we all kinda settle in and just watch the new threads. So What you described can happen quite easy.

And it will continue !:shhhh

cantolina
6th January 2008, 04:23
I would call if FAR from dangerous.....

There's too many people who know too much here (EXCEPT ME, OF COURSE :laugh) who call BS whenever something is that out-of-line....and speaking specifically re: Ironheads....If you don't wait for Ironmick to respond, you're doing yourself a disservice ANYWAY.... ;) He may not know everything (then again, he MIGHT...:shhhh), but he has no qualms about responding to a post that might prove to be "dangerous"...

This really was an issue when this forum was in its infancy, and there were a lot LESS of us here...and it came up now and again, but at this point, with so many members, and typically a LOT of quick responses, I just don't see it as an issue.... :dunno

Shevieman
6th January 2008, 04:28
Amen Cantolina

nemosengineer@yahoo.com
6th January 2008, 04:35
Like guns, airplanes, boats, motorcycles, and tools, information is only dangerous in the hands of the inexperienced or fools.

: Mike:tour

idiggplants
6th January 2008, 16:41

wow dude. not my point at all. come post around. even give technical advice if you want. but dont do so if you have no knowledge on the matter. just like i dont go to the home page and click on a random handlebar wiring post and give info on how to wire up evo bars. why? cause i dont know how. why? because ive never owned an evo. i have no problem reading the odd posts here and there. many times its quite amusing.

i noticed a way to improve the forums, and i voiced my idears. im not ungrateful for this forum. believe me. as an ironhead owner, there isnt too much info available around town, or around most of the internet. im just trying to make the forum better. ive been on a lot of forums in my day, and ive never seen one setup like this.

idiggplants
6th January 2008, 16:52
"What color is your nigh.....er.....uh.... Ironhead."

"Do these chaps make my butt look big when I ride my Ironhead."

"What kinda of oil should i lubricate myself with when I ride my Ironhead."

Jeeze people! If you cant tell the difference between good advice and bad advice then your in a world of hurt. How long did it take to learn your bike didnt have fuses? Hopefully not any longer than it took to read that post. Alot of us here have owned both. I have. Your post really shows how self rightous you really are. Your bike is no better than mine.

If your dont like how this site is ran start your own. Seems like you have no idea what amount of time of money it takes to run a site like this only to have some jerk come in and tell you how to run it. I believe this site is ran quite well and has an above average personality of membership. Please DONT BRING IT DOWN with your attitude and self rightiousness.

THESE ARE MY OPINIONS IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THEM TAKE THEM UP WITH ME. If you dont like them DONT READ THEM.

Shev

haha. so those were your opinions. i cant make suggestions? im not demanding a change. i just showed my opinions. i have no idea what? it seems you have no idea about what i know. i have no self rightiousness about my bike. my father owns an evo, and i love it. i kind of want the thing :shhhh

idiggplants
6th January 2008, 16:57
why not start your thread with....."for those of you with ironheads...." if you're looking for some ironhead specific info.

oh, btw, i found this on my most current posts page.

man. ok. this is what im gonna start doing. i really opened a can of worms here. i think ill unsubscribe from this post and hope it dies without my knowledge. of course, ive never started a thread thats gone this many pages.. hmm.

see ya on the road. :tour

flathead45
6th January 2008, 17:00
I don't subscribe to any threads I just use the new post search button and then look to see what forum the thread is in before answering. but I know that I mess up once and a while but , hey lifes not perfect and I never expect perfection out of anything

I love this forum and how it works but its the people I can't stand :smoke

Folkie
6th January 2008, 17:04
I don't subscribe to any threadsJust curious, how do you know when there are new posts on threads you've posted to then? :geek

Gone
3rd July 2009, 18:06
idiggplants has a good point and it's not just in the ironhead forum.

I've a '07 and in the EFI Sportster Motorcycle (2007 and up) threads there are often posts from people trying to answer a question on a EFI engine with an answer that only applies to a Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle (2004-2006).

Come one, don't beat up on idiggplants because he's trying to make a point.

okmatt33
3rd July 2009, 18:47
i cruise the forums because i am a sportster guy, not an evo guy, or an ironhead guy...i like them all.

Folkie
3rd July 2009, 18:50
idiggplants has a good point and it's not just in the ironhead forum.

I've a '07 and in the EFI Sportster Motorcycle (2007 and up) threads there are often posts from people trying to answer a question on a EFI engine with an answer that only applies to a Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle (2004-2006).

Come one, don't beat up on idiggplants because he's trying to make a point.
You're about a year late with this. :)

kilroykarr
3rd July 2009, 20:01
I think the Ironhead and the Nightsters owners need there own place. They seem to think they have something better than the rest of us.:laugh:laugh

Then we wouldn't have to listen to there complaining anymore.:clap:banana:banadanc

I think its up to the Thread poster to make it so that it says "ironhead" right beside the title. Are they doing that??

Durockrolly
3rd July 2009, 20:36
Why not start your posts with "on my 69 Ironhead blah blah blah"?

Bully
3rd July 2009, 20:41
who cares.........read it if you want to... post if you want to. Thats how I see it.

shotgun46
3rd July 2009, 20:53
Shev, please, have a little more compassion for some of these Hardcore Ironhead guys. Alot of them just got their first computer this Christmas.:laugh

Ha Ha Ha ! I did not know they still sold the old Mac's yet

Chris B.
3rd July 2009, 20:58
it should be known that we all have to weed through posts to get the guts of what we really want. Its the nature of the beast for all forums... But, yeah, there could be spin off solutions to it.

I think its also funny how people get all blown out of perportion, I read "so IRONHEAD owners do not want us to post in THEIR forum" haha, thats a funny take on it. Of course not, come on. He's just saying it can be confusing. And thats what happens when so many people have an opinion to share.

As far as being dangerous??? Think of all the medical forums out there. I know more people who will self diagnose themselves based off of someone elses post. Now, that my friends is dangerous.

In the end, you still have to decide what is right and what is wrong for yourself. If someone gets hurt from a suggestion, they should have done more research before jumping in with both feet.

Chris B.
3rd July 2009, 21:25
Its also the forums fault that I skinned my knuckles last night because someone said I should push my wrench and not pull it.

Just kidding... hehe! I love this place!

Quay
4th July 2009, 05:46
[QUOTE=Ivan RoachCoach;1038957It's so simple: If you don't ACTUALLY own, wrench on, or ride an ironhead --- don't offer technical advice or opinions on ironheads.
QUOTE]

Just because people don't own, wrench on, or ride an iron head does not mean they don't have pertinent knowledge and advice or should be excluded from voicing opinions...........
It's the reader's responsibility to puruse all the info provided then decide on the "best" course of action and to weed out incorrect info which could just as well be provided by an iron head enthusiast armed with crayons.
If I want to comment on the iron head section I'll do so unless locked out by the moderators.

bplinson
4th July 2009, 07:14
Guys. There is already a solution to this problem.

When a thread is created in the FE section you will see directly to the left of the SUBJECT and dropdown that is called PREFIX. Click on this dropdown and choose IRONHEAD.

This will automatically put the word IRONHEAD at the front of the post title.

jrossty
4th July 2009, 07:19
Our fearless leader to the rescue!!

idiggplants
4th July 2009, 13:07
Guys. There is already a solution to this problem.

When a thread is created in the FE section you will see directly to the left of the SUBJECT and dropdown that is called PREFIX. Click on this dropdown and choose IRONHEAD.

This will automatically put the word IRONHEAD at the front of the post title.

exactly. can we let this thread die!?! this thread was started long before this option was added, and, i believe, was (part of) the cause for this option to be added.

idiggplants
4th July 2009, 13:13
I think the Ironhead and the Nightsters owners need there own place. They seem to think they have something better than the rest of us.:laugh:laugh

Then we wouldn't have to listen to there complaining anymore.:clap:banana:banadanc

I think its up to the Thread poster to make it so that it says "ironhead" right beside the title. Are they doing that??

its not better, its just different. to compare the ironhead to the nightster is just stupid.

are you people idiots, or do you just not read? this isnt about people not putting in input, its about people putting in incorrect input because they are ignorant to the fact that they are posting in the ironhead section...

as i stated above, that didnt used to be an option.

mes
4th July 2009, 13:52
holy shit. this should be called the M.J. post. refuses to die

Folkie
4th July 2009, 14:48
can we let this thread die!?!
Shall I close it?

Folkie
4th July 2009, 15:00
Nah, we just do it for the love of it. :D

cantolina
4th July 2009, 16:38
Is THAT why we do it?

I've been tryin to wrap my head around that question....

:p