PDA

View Full Version : Wider 21 inch tire

dmraco
29th September 2005, 13:47
Anyone put a wider frint tire on the 21 inch wheel? The 90/90 looks so slim. there is a lot of space between the forks and fender, but what will the rim safely handle? What do the number 90/90 mean? I know how to read car tires, are motorcycle tires the same? 100/90/21??

I know the 120 and 130 front need a wider rim, I was just wondering if there is anything else availible.

Scout99
29th September 2005, 13:52
Nice pipes...you like 'em?

dmraco
29th September 2005, 13:55
Nice pipes...you like 'em?

Love them. Sound and perform great. $299 on e-bay

sportsterrific
29th September 2005, 14:10
Good question. The thin front tire is the only thing I don't like about my Custom. I don't even know if they make a wider tire to fit the rim.

dmraco
29th September 2005, 14:26
I know there are 100's and 120's. Will they fit?? the 120 is a no-no.

I was at the York facility for HD and they had a 1200 custom with a 19 inch wheel. It looked OK, but the 21 looks nicer on the custom. But we need more rubber!

RoadKingMoe
29th September 2005, 14:46
The first 90 is the section width (sidewall to sidewall), on some specified (but hard to find published) width rim, in mm. The second 90 is the aspect ratio in percent. Means that the sidewall height, rim to center of tread face, is 90% of the section width when the tire is inflated. For example, a 90/90 should be 90 mm wide and 81 mm tall.

These are VERY ROUGH estimates and vary significantly not only between manufacturers, but between different models from the same manufacturer.

The_Bishop
29th September 2005, 15:36
I ended up installing a cast 19" wheel on the front of my 1200C because the horrible roads around here keep knocking my 21" front spoked wheel out of true. An added benefit is I now have more rubber on the ground, so it handles better and I have more brake power (again, because there's a larger footprint) in case I have to stop hard.

dmraco
29th September 2005, 16:21
I ended up installing a cast 19" wheel on the front of my 1200C because the horrible roads around here keep knocking my 21" front spoked wheel out of true. An added benefit is I now have more rubber on the ground, so it handles better and I have more brake power (again, because there's a larger footprint) in case I have to stop hard.

The new Dyna 19 inch cast wheel would look killer on a custom

http://www.harley-davidson.com/PR/MOT/2006/06_template.asp?bmLocale=en_US&family=dyna&model=fxd&market=US&modelsection=gallery

Lucifer
29th September 2005, 17:49
I seen one the other day. I'm pretty sure it was a 21in wheel but I'm going to call and check it out! Think it was at least a 3.25 in. Will be right back.
Ride to Live!

EC1250R
29th September 2005, 18:06
Want a real killer look, go for an 18x3.5" front AND rear rim. Do a 130 70 18 up front and a 150-70-18 out back. You get killer looks and a very balanced performing bike.
I'm doing this for my new bar hopper(cept Im doing a 180 rear). Looks can't be beat.

Moved On / My Own Choice
29th September 2005, 18:16
Want a real killer look, go for an 18x3.5" front AND rear rim. Do a 130 70 18 up front and a 150-70-18 out back. You get killer looks and a very balanced performing bike.
I'm doing this for my new bar hopper(cept Im doing a 180 rear). Looks can't be beat.

I'd like a SLIGHTLY more beefy front tire...

How big can you go on the stock mag wheels for 04+ models?????????????

(here's my last damn thread on this all over again)

EC1250R
29th September 2005, 18:18
I'd like a SLIGHTLY more beefy front tire...

How big can you go on the stock mag wheels for 04+ models?????????????

(here's my last damn thread on this all over again)

What sized rim? 19"? 21"? On a 19x2.15" rim you can do a 110 rim safely.

A 21" rim your looking at 90 widest I believe due to the lower profile.

Moved On / My Own Choice
29th September 2005, 18:21
What sized rim? 19"? 21"? On a 19x2.15" rim you can do a 110 rim safely.

A 21" rim your looking at 90 widest I believe due to the lower profile.

whatever comes on the 04+ 883/883L/883R/1200R...

the stock tire is a 100/90-19 (so a 19 in. rim).

Lucifer
29th September 2005, 18:23
Checked, the tire was an Avon venum x 90/90/21, sure looked big to me, but it was on a converted wide glide front sporty 1200C model. Optical illusion! Wider front makes the tire look bigger I guess. Definately looks big. A group was talking about it when I walked in. Owner is very happy! Sticks like glue. I think they are a little pricey compared to Dunlops though.
Ride to Live!

EC1250R
29th September 2005, 18:38
whatever comes on the 04+ 883/883L/883R/1200R...

the stock tire is a 100/90-19 (so a 19 in. rim).

Ya, you can use a 110/90-19. That will balance your handling better. I would still stick with a 150 rear though :smoke Try the Avon Venom X tires. I know you use Metzelers and they are a great tire(great wet performance and longevity), but the Avon's step the dry pavement performance up a big notch. And due to the Avon's tire radius, turning into corners are effortless. Most people who try Avon's dont go back.

Moved On / My Own Choice
29th September 2005, 18:44
Ya, you can use a 110/90-19. That will balance your handling better. I would still stick with a 150 rear though :smoke Try the Avon Venom X tires. I know you use Metzelers and they are a great tire(great wet performance and longevity), but the Avon's step the dry pavement performance up a big notch. And due to the Avon's tire radius, turning into corners are effortless. Most people who try Avon's dont go back.

Thanks for the input.

I'll run it by the boss when it comes time to replace her tires.

I SUSPECT we'll PROBABLY stick with Metzlers for now, but who knows, maybe they'll be out of stock or something and the fates will throw us an Avon curve.

Thanks again,

Kev

EC1250R
29th September 2005, 19:01
Thanks for the input.

I'll run it by the boss when it comes time to replace her tires.

I SUSPECT we'll PROBABLY stick with Metzlers for now, but who knows, maybe they'll be out of stock or something and the fates will throw us an Avon curve.

Thanks again,

Kev

Look at it this way, if she does the majority of her riding when the road is wet or raining, the Metzeler has the edge and is the better tire, if she does the majority of her riding when dry, the Avon has the clear advantage. Both tires are better in the rain over the Dunlops, the Metzeler tires wear the best, followed by the Dunlop, then the Avon. Avon's are VERY addictive tires though! You will go through em quicker, but they bring out the full abilities of your bike's handling characteristics :) I owned one set of Metzelers, I'll never go back to em.(Unless I move to Seattle) :roflblack

Moved On / My Own Choice
29th September 2005, 19:03
Look at it this way, if she does the majority of her riding when the road is wet or raining, the Metzeler has the edge and is the better tire, if she does the majority of her riding when dry, the Avon has the clear advantage. Both tires are better in the rain over the Dunlops, the Metzeler tires wear the best, followed by the Dunlop, then the Avon. Avon's are VERY addictive tires though! You will go through em quicker, but they bring out the full abilities of your bike's handling characteristics :)

I think you're helping me make the argument for the Metzlers.

They seem to provide the best BALANCE of wear and handling.

Avons will probably outhandle them, HOWEVER at a cost.

AND I SUSPECT that's a level of handling neither Jenn nor I will ever need.

K

EC1250R
29th September 2005, 19:18
I think you're helping me make the argument for the Metzlers.

They seem to provide the best BALANCE of wear and handling.

Avons will probably outhandle them, HOWEVER at a cost.

AND I SUSPECT that's a level of handling neither Jenn nor I will ever need.

K

You would be surprised by the "Level of handling" aspect. I can name more than one occasion that we have encounted where we were glad we had the tires on that we had! :roflblack We ourselves realize that we ride when its 99% dry out. We occasionally get caught in a rainstorm here and there(in which case we start driving at or below the speedlimit depending on conditions)but we drive very cautiously then. Once the pavment is dry, we go all out and have fun. We only ride moderate miles a year of around 6-8000 total, so we basically buy 4 new ties every year. But we rather spend a bit more, more often with the knowledge that the tires will hold better on the outer limits of the bikes abilities, as we do come into contact with those boundaries at times unexpectedly. ;) If I couldnt get an Avon in a pinch I would take a Metzeler as a good backup.

Moved On / My Own Choice
29th September 2005, 19:22
Call me a stubbern old crumudgeon if you will...

but 15k miles with better handling than stock sounds GREAT to me.

I put only about 10k or so on my bike a year... Jenn a little less... so that's a new rear every OTHER year!

HOWEVER, if Jenn finds she starts to push it more (I doubt it, though adventerous, that's JUST not what she's about in her riding, at least these days) and finds she wants more handling, we'll likely reconsider.

K

EC1250R
29th September 2005, 19:28
Call me a stubbern old crumudgeon if you will...

but 15k miles with better handling than stock sounds GREAT to me.

I put only about 10k or so on my bike a year... Jenn a little less... so that's a new rear every OTHER year!

HOWEVER, if Jenn finds she starts to push it more (I doubt it, though adventerous, that's JUST not what she's about in her riding, at least these days) and finds she wants more handling, we'll likely reconsider.

K

Ya, you will be replacing the Avon's once a year if you average about 10k, thats about the limit of their useful wear.

Moved On / My Own Choice
29th September 2005, 19:33
Ya, you will be replacing the Avon's once a year if you average about 10k, thats about the limit of their useful wear.

Not that replacing a tire once a year is a big deal.... I could think of worse things...

but with useful life, I'd say that the Avons are going to be AT LEAST twice as expensive as the Metzlers...

For some, I don't doubt them worth it.

K

EC1250R
29th September 2005, 19:39
Not that replacing a tire once a year is a big deal.... I could think of worse things...

but with useful life, I'd say that the Avons are going to be AT LEAST twice as expensive as the Metzlers...

For some, I don't doubt them worth it.

K We calculated the Avon's to on average to be about 40-50% more expensive per mile So if you average $100 on a Metzeler, you will be paying about $150 for the Avon per useful mile. Avons are about 10% more expensive per tire, while the Metzelers will get you an extra 3-4k on average per tire. We buy our tires here: http://www.americanmototire.com/

Moved On / My Own Choice
29th September 2005, 19:49
I've read lots of threads on other boards... wildguzzi (before it crashed again recently) and maybe even gigabikes where people who sometimes received the WRONG tires from them were charged a fee to exchange them.

SCREW THEM!

K

EC1250R
29th September 2005, 19:55
LOL, ok I edited my post. I do have to say American Moto tire is a great online source. And I know for a fact their customer service is excellent! LOL

Moved On / My Own Choice
29th September 2005, 20:20
LOL, ok I edited my post. I do have to say American Moto tire is a great online source. And I know for a fact their customer service is excellent! LOL

YOU ROCK!

K

Randum77
29th September 2005, 20:25
I know i got a big ass tire on my 21" rim. Just got my tires switch so i'll take note and let you know what size it is later today. The tire just barely clears the fender. The little rubber wiskers that wear off after the first 100 miles, 3/4 of the height of them hit the fender. so, imagin 1/4 of the wiskers only fitting between the tire and fender.

Lucifer
29th September 2005, 22:46
Don;t forget the Continental tires. Seen over 20,000 miles on a few and still looked decent. You say she's not riding very aggressive anyway! Change em every two or three years. Never seen that kinda mileage on a Dunlop or Avon. Only had one set of Metzlers and that was on a Husky dirt bike. Another good web source for tires is Ron Ayres Motorsports. Good service, good price! EC1250 is correct in the fact that Avons are very addictive! I'm trying to get a set of the Dunlop 591's (front has plenty of tread)to compare against the Avons but I think I already know the answer. Something about the quality of rubber to start with. I do feel you get what you pay for, especially in a competitive tire market.
Ride to Live!

Shu
29th September 2005, 23:49
I have had great success with buying my tires from http://www.tiresunlimited.com/default.htm

sjake48
30th September 2005, 19:53
We just bought my Fiance' a new 05 1200C. The first thing she said when we went to buy it is "I don't like that tire and rim".
Before we even took delivery, we had them replace the 21 with a 19 inch rim (Black Thunderstar) and tire. Worked out great. The 19 inch tire is quite a bit beefier than the 21. Looks and rides better (in my opinion - I had just rented a sportster the week before to test ride)
Didn't even have to change the fender, and it also lowered the bike about an inch in front as a bonus.
Could not have been happier.

Moved On / My Own Choice
30th September 2005, 19:56
We just bought my Fiance' a new 05 1200C. The first thing she said when we went to buy it is "I don't like that tire and rim".
Before we even took delivery, we had them replace the 21 with a 19 inch rim (Black Thunderstar) and tire. Worked out great. The 19 inch tire is quite a bit beefier than the 21. Looks and rides better (in my opinion - I had just rented a sportster the week before to test ride)
Didn't even have to change the fender, and it also lowered the bike about an inch in front as a bonus.
Could not have been happier.

I'd love to see a pic if ya got one...

K

sjake48
30th September 2005, 19:58
Don't have any yet, we just brought her home this week and have been busy riding. I'll try and get one soon.

Moved On / My Own Choice
30th September 2005, 20:24
I'll try and get one soon.

Coolio... tanks in advance!

Ride safe,

K

blueglide88
6th February 2006, 04:25
I was just checking out the Avon site. They have a 90/90-21 that according to their chart is 3.7" wide. A stock dunlop 90/90-19 is 3.65" wide according to Dunlop. So if these charts are correct, you can put a 21" tire that is fatter than the stock 19". That should give better rubber on the road. Has anybody gone this route?

http://www.avonmotorcycle.com/us/en/Product.asp?ProdType=CruiserTouring

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=6

MidWest XL
6th February 2006, 04:58
I may be just nitpicking here, but 0.05" is less than 1/16 of an inch. Although technically wider, I doubt that it would be noticable.
But, I may be wrong.

blueglide88
6th February 2006, 05:21
I may be just nitpicking here, but 0.05" is less than 1/16 of an inch. Although technically wider, I doubt that it would be noticable.
But, I may be wrong.

You are correct. What I should have pointed out in my post is that the stock 21" tire is 3.25" wide according to Dunlop. Many guys go to a 19" tire in for the width and more rubber on the road. So when I discovered this, I was amazed that you can buy a 21" tire that is fatter than the stock 19" tire. Not by much, but it is almost 1/2" fatter than the stock 21".

POSTAL-ONE
6th February 2006, 20:55
I was just checking out the Avon site. They have a 90/90-21 that according to their chart is 3.7" wide. A stock dunlop 90/90-19 is 3.65" wide according to Dunlop. So if these charts are correct, you can put a 21" tire that is fatter than the stock 19". That should give better rubber on the road. Has anybody gone this route?

http://www.avonmotorcycle.com/us/en/Product.asp?ProdType=CruiserTouring

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=6

Would this tire fit on the stock 21" rim for the 04 and 05 1200c?

Gone
7th February 2006, 01:28
Being brain dead in my old age, can someone here tell me from what year bikes that the 19" wheel will interchange with my 06 Sportster Custom with that ugly 21" wheel on it, do not like those spokes, want a cast wheel.

blueglide88
7th February 2006, 01:28
Would this tire fit on the stock 21" rim for the 04 and 05 1200c?

From what Avon's chart shows I believe it will. The chart says the tire will work with rims between 2.15" and 2.50". I believe 21" tires on Customs are mounted to a 2.15" rim. But I'm not a tire expert, maybe somebody can help out. I am also going to email Avon to ask them directly.

tcspannerwrench
7th February 2006, 03:09
Being brain dead in my old age, can someone here tell me from what year bikes that the 19" wheel will interchange with my 06 Sportster Custom with that ugly 21" wheel on it, do not like those spokes, want a cast wheel.
man i am just the opposite i have cast and want spokes

E00i3
9th February 2006, 05:13
So if i ride in an area that has a ton pot holes and the street conditions are so so, i should stick with the 19?

Thanks!

gzr_groundhog
9th February 2006, 06:25
Would these fit?

To Metzeler, the need for its brand new, first-ever 120/70-21 wide, low-profile 21-inch ME880 front tire is obvious: V-twin riders and custom builders have a big selection of oversize rear tire sizes to choose from - but nothing other than a few mis-matched, wire-thin 21-inch front sizes to go with them. So the German motorcycle tire company that's already shown its commitment to the V-twin market (with, among other things, its new full range of big-muscle rear radials) felt it had to be the one to fill the need. Compared to a standard 80/90-21 tire width of about 3.15 inches, Metzeler's new 120/70-21 is 4.7 inches wide. It also has a considerably lower 70 profile compared to the taller 90 and 100 profiles.

blueglide88
10th February 2006, 02:46
Here is the reply from Avon as to my question about their 90/90-21.......

So is your Sportster a XL883C or XL1200C both are fitted with a 21 front tire?

Please feel free to visit Avon Tyres website with me for important fitment info.

www.avonmotorcycle.com Map North America click; see, (upper left of this page) Fitments click; see, Make H-D; see, CC 883 or 1200(?); see, Model Sportster Custom 53 XL 53 C (?) or Sportster Custom XL 1200C (?). Both list a MH90 21 56H AM41 Venom this tire is 3.3 wide on a 2.15 rim. This is the recommend size for fitment for these models of Sportster, most likely due to clearance issue.

Yes, the 90/90 21 54H AM41 Venom is 3.7 wide on a 2.15.

Not recommend for your model of motorcycle due to clearance and Load Index (LI) related issues. The 56 LI in the MH90-21 = 494 lbs. vs. the 54 LI in the 90/90-21 = 467 lbs.

See, (upper on this page) Technical Info click; see, Tyre Care Tips click; see, Have You Got The Right Tyre? click; Note line stated with, The speed and load rating (LI) XXXX Never Fit A Tyre Of A Lesser Specification.

Thank you for your interest in Avon Tyres.

Thanks, Keith

Well, if you go to the Dunlop site and look at the OEM tire replacement guide for a Sporty, you'll find that a MH90-21 Dunlop has a Load Index of 54, a speed rating H, which is the same as the Avon fat tire 90/90-21! So I think I will give this tire a try, despite what Avon says, it matches the OEM specs from Dunlop.

blueglide88
11th February 2006, 13:30
I again emailed Avon about the specs. Here is what they said...

Bob

Sorry, I did not know the OEM spec.s of 54 LI from H-D/Dunlop. The 90/90-21 will work with the 54 LI. The MH90-21 size is a reinforced case construction = the 56 LI (an above kill thing, but a good thing).

Keith

So if you want a wider 21" tire, you can use the Avon 90/90-21. It meets the Dunplo specs for load index and speed rating. It's 3.7" wide, compared to the stock tire of approx 3.25 wide. So you get about 1/2" more rubber on the road. I'm going to try it this year.

albe
22nd February 2006, 03:55
So, has anybody put the Avon 90/90-21 on yet? I need to put new tires on (I have 7200 on the stock ones) and would like to put these one my scoot.

94Sporty
22nd February 2006, 08:14
I have been running an Avon Roadrunner 90/90 21 on my 94 for quite a while (on my second one), but am running an aftermarket spoke wheel with a 3 1/4" wide rim. I would imagine if you are using a narrower rim you would have even less clearance problems. Hope this helps

albe
5th March 2006, 02:43
Well I broke down and put the Avon 90/90 21 on my '05 custom. Let me tell you the tires seems huge compared to the stockers. The fender no longer looks too far from the tire.

The ride is a ton better too!

Johnny G
5th March 2006, 02:45
Well I broke down and put the Avon 90/90 21 on my '05 custom. Let me tell you the tires seems huge compared to the stockers. The fender no longer looks too far from the tire.

The ride is a ton better too!
How about a close up shot of that tire on the wheel I would like a little more rubber on my 21 to

MidWest XL
5th March 2006, 02:47
Yes!
Please post a couple of pics of the new tire.

MOREHP
5th March 2006, 16:28
Heres the 90-90-21 on a 2.15 rim. The fender is aftermarket but it was at one time under the stock fender.

Johnny G
5th March 2006, 16:37
I wish we had a pic on a stock rubber mount with the stock fender and wheel. The tread pattern looks good.

MidWest XL
5th March 2006, 17:19
Looks good. Thanks for posting.

MOREHP
5th March 2006, 20:56
I just got back from a ride with my new venoms (pictured above) if you are looking for a tire that puts more rubber on the road these aint it. Because of the way they are made they have a severe contour over the other makes. They are great for cornering,much more stable but going straight and stopping they have no advantage over the regular 21" tires.

blueglide88
5th March 2006, 21:20
I just got back from a ride with my new venoms (pictured above) if you are looking for a tire that puts more rubber on the road these aint it. Because of the way they are made they have a severe contour over the other makes. They are great for cornering,much more stable but going straight and stopping they have no advantage over the regular 21" tires.

That's surprising. It's hard to tell from the pics, but do you think they have any more rubber on the road than a 19"? Overall, how do you like them? At least if they corner better, they are a step up in terms of performance than the stock 21" tire.

MOREHP
5th March 2006, 21:48
I really like them. But if some one was looking for a more wider footprint for stopping power I think the venoms would be the last tire to look at. But they corner beautifully and that is the reason I bought them. I got the front off of ebay brand new for $60 and the rear brand new cheaper.

Fernando XL1200
7th June 2006, 21:14
Hello guys!
I'm from Brasil and down here we find pretty bad road conditions and so i'm looking to put a wider front tire on my '05 1200 custom.

After reading all the posts in this thread i still don't know if the metzeler 120/70-21 will fit my stock 21 rims. My concern is about the fender struts clearence to the tire's sidewall aswell as the stock width of the rim.

Can you help me out?

10x in advance

Fernando XL1200
27th June 2006, 03:52
i'm on a Metzeler 120-70/21 and its awesome.

2000 miles on it already. Great tire.

MidWest XL
27th June 2006, 04:54
Fernando

Can you post up a pic of your new tire on the rim??

toe
27th June 2006, 06:27
i'm on a Metzeler 120-70/21 and its awesome.

2000 miles on it already. Great tire.

Can't be a stock rim as they're too narrow for a 120-70.........

Samickguy15
4th January 2008, 22:38
Bump...Who's running a wider than stock 21" tire? I got a 90/90-21 Metzler ME880 on mine.

Sly
7th January 2008, 00:04
I'll bite. Got the good n cheap baracuda's on. Front slick is a 3.00-21, wich should be the same as a 90/90-21. Got at least 15k in 3 years and just now need replacing, so not bad for cheap import's. They ride good.

toe
7th January 2008, 01:29
A 3.00 is more like 80mm in width...........

Sly
7th January 2008, 18:17
Is this not accurate??? I hav'nt measured, just looking to see what I need.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-tires/tire-data.htm

toe
8th January 2008, 05:14
Is this not accurate??? I hav'nt measured, just looking to see what I need.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-tires/tire-data.htm

Don't think so....

I use a 3.25/3.50 inner tube for my 90/90 21 tire, so a 3.00 would be a size below the 90/90.........

Sly
8th January 2008, 18:53
2.635 rim(outside)=2.5?rim width. 3.280 tire (outside at widest)=3.00?
I'm still cornfused?

Here's a clip I found (BMW:geek)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Opinions about tires are like opinions on motor oil -- everybody has one. I read on one of the R65 websites that you can't go wider than the 90-series. That may be true for some of the older R65's, but not the '86. Even the Metzeler site recommends the 100-series ME33 for the front. But 110? Just looking at the numbers, and thinking about the warnings I've heard, you'd think you were committing a sin or something. Common wisdom seems to think - as I did - that a 100-series is a 100-series. But guess what? It ain't!

Unfortunately, not every manufacturer lists the dimensions of their tires, probably for some nutty legal reason. Even Metzeler doesn't have dimensions on their website, but they list some numbers on their hard-copy brochure. But Bridgestone does, and here's what I found: The BT45 100/90-18 (V-series) is listed at 3.9" wide. That's interesting, because the Bridgestone Spitfire 100-series is listed at 4.2" wide. Checking the other sites, I found that the Dunlop K491 100-series is listed at 4.06" wide; the GT501 is claimed to be 4.15" wide; and just for comparison's sake, the 100-series Metzeler ME88 and the 880 both check in at 4.0".

Here's a chart for comparison:

Tire Sizes, in Inches

Bridgestone Dunlop Metzeler
Size F/R BT45 Spitfire K491 GT501 ME88 ME55A ME880
100/90-18 F 3.90 4.20 4.06 4.15 4.00 4.01
110/90-18 F 4.20 4.40 4.70
120/90-18 R 4.80 5.00 4.84 4.75 4.88 4.92
130/80-18 R 5.20 5.30

Am I the only one who finds it interesting that a 100-series tire can really be anything from 3.9" to 4.2"? And a 110-series can end up being the same width as a 100?

So, what's the moral of this story? I guess it's that you can't take anything for granted. Just because someone says a certain tire size won't fit doesn't mean that's a true statement. As you can see, the 110-series BT45 is the same width as the 100-series Spitfire, and about the same size as the GT501. The implications of this are that you may have more tire choices for older Airheads than you thought there were. But make sure you take into consideration the aspect ratio problems as described above -- the height of the tire may be more of a limiting factor than the width.

jcastino
11th February 2008, 22:59
I'm still confused! I have the stock 21" wheel. And it's time for new rubber. Should I buy the 90/90/21" Avons or the 120/70/21" Metzler's?

I'm not trying to open up a debate on which tire performs the best. All I want to know is which one fits a stock 21" rim.

I am aware that the Metzlers are better in wet conditions and the Avons are stickier.

Thanks!

jimstogs
11th February 2008, 23:07
I have 120/70/21 Avon on the front of my Stock wheel, runs, rides, and looks great...

jcastino
11th February 2008, 23:57
I have 120/70/21 Avon on the front of my Stock wheel, runs, rides, and looks great...

Jimstogs: Is that a 120/70/21" or a 120/90/21"????

Just wanting to make sure about this. Thanks

Folkie
12th February 2008, 00:31
FWIW the Metzeler Lasertec 90/90-21 is fairly wide: 96mm (just over 3") from memory.

abaris
24th June 2008, 03:01
So can ya or can't ya mount a 120/70-21 on stock Sporty Custom rim?

toe
24th June 2008, 04:39
So can ya or can't ya mount a 120/70-21 on stock Sporty Custom rim?

No, the 120/70 21 tire wants a minimum rim width of 2.75".

The stock 21" rim is 2.15" which is too narrow.....

jimstogs
8th September 2008, 01:32
No, the 120/70 21 tire wants a minimum rim width of 2.75".

The stock 21" rim is 2.15" which is too narrow.....

Sorry been on Hiatus for awhile, but I figured what the heck, may as well resurect this old thread. To answer a couple questions that were asked, It is a 120/70/21, yes I did put it on the stock rim, it is wider giving room under the fender, but not a great deal, and it has over 14,000 miles on it now with an estimated 5,000 still to go, of course with 14 degrees of rake above stock rake, and 10 overs the weight seems to be less of a factor on the front wheel.

dbwittkopf
16th April 2010, 02:58
so you can run a 120/70/21 on a stock rim with a stock wheel and the stock fender on an 04+. yes or no? and are there any pics?

dbwittkopf
16th April 2010, 17:06
i will take that as a no

Folkie
16th April 2010, 18:33
I would guess no: the Metzeler ME880 120/70-21s are specified for rims between 3" and 3". I don't think they're going to work on a 2.15" rim.

dbwittkopf
16th April 2010, 19:47
i would guess no also but then some people have said yes and also i know that metzlers run a little narrow so i don't know it is all so confusing:) i was just hoping somebody had that exact setup with pics so that would be that :smoke

Mr Dream Merchant
19th April 2010, 06:25
Anyone put a wider frint tire on the 21 inch wheel? The 90/90 looks so slim. there is a lot of space between the forks and fender, but what will the rim safely handle? What do the number 90/90 mean? I know how to read car tires, are motorcycle tires the same? 100/90/21??

I know the 120 and 130 front need a wider rim, I was just wondering if there is anything else availible.

:bday
Yeh I did. 120/70-21 inch. Mine is on a 3 or 3.5 inch rim. Pics are at my Gallery.:laugh

Mr Dream Merchant
19th April 2010, 06:30
I know there are 100's and 120's. Will they fit?? the 120 is a no-no.

I was at the York facility for HD and they had a 1200 custom with a 19 inch wheel. It looked OK, but the 21 looks nicer on the custom. But we need more rubber!

:doh
Check out my Gallery for a wider look.