PDA

View Full Version : Getting my Son Involved

alleydude
8th January 2005, 00:38
Well, my 17-year-old has shown an interest in getting his hands dirty by helping with the top-end on our '72 Sporty. Jake has really gotten enthusiastic about the project.

http://www.harleydavidsonbikers.com/photopost/data/529/57672Teardown-01.jpg

But once the jugs were off we noticed that there were some definate problems going on in there. Now, not being an expert, could someone tell me what would cause this:

http://www.harleydavidsonbikers.com/photopost/data/529/57672Teardown-02.jpg

This also resulted in some serious scoring on the inside of the cylinders. How much does it cost to bore these out just a bit..?

http://www.harleydavidsonbikers.com/photopost/data/529/57672Teardown-03.jpg

joe chop
8th January 2005, 05:02
My guess would be a lack of oil or the wrong oil. I lost all oil pressure in mine last spring so I tore it down and I had one cylinder look about the same. Good luck with the rebuild.

XLFREAK
8th January 2005, 12:37
Great father and son project! I bought my 15 yr old a whacked 944 Porsche when he first started driving. Timing belt had shredded on previous owner and pistons greeted valves. We did a top end job on that car together. He drove that little 44 all thru high school. Now, he is in second year at LSU and rides the sporty to school every chance he gets.

XLFREAK
8th January 2005, 12:40
Oh yeah, btw. Presently working with my other son, now 15 on a '69 Karmann Ghia. It came with a fresh 40 horse stocker and a 2.0 Porsche spare. We are doing the interior right now. I figure let him drive it with the 40 horse for a year or so and then slide the 2.0 in for his junior and senior yr. What a sleeper!

alleydude
8th January 2005, 13:15
My guess would be a lack of oil or the wrong oil. I lost all oil pressure in mine last spring so I tore it down and I had one cylinder look about the same. Good luck with the rebuild.

Great. Okay, so if I were to assume the oil was correct, and it had enough in the bike, what could cause this part of the bike to not get enough lubrication? Or is that not even possible?

flathead45
8th January 2005, 14:51
72's are a one year only barrel so make sure whoever does it is good, most parts dealers (not autozone or the like) can do the job for ya and get over sized pistons , the napa dude told me they can get any piston for any motor

what size are your pistons (std, or over bore) you can go to .60 over but your getting rather thin then .40 is the most they reccomend

now the cause ; it could be the rings were worn and fuel was washing the sides free of oil . are the score marks only on the intake side? are the rings free in their groves? did it blow oil smoke ?

stevo can give you more info on this maybe he'll look in on this thread or try PMing him and asking

alleydude
8th January 2005, 14:58
Yes, great info. The marks are only on the intake side. I don't know what size the pistons are, I didn't see any marks on the, though I haven't cleaned them off either.

We're going out to our local Indy shop today to blast the heads and barrels, as well as clean the rocker boxes and get some pricing info. The boy is really getting into this, and even got up early to take the pistons off the rods to take them with us as well.

flathead45
8th January 2005, 15:00
gotta love that , I usta chase tools for my dad back when I was a ankle biter too