PDA

View Full Version : "They blow up so fast...."

Sporting Lad
10th January 2008, 21:42
The times that I've posted a new thread (usually in an attempt to get some advice/tips on a technical issue) it never seems to get much exposure.
For example, last night I posted a Q regarding exhaust tape installation
but it only stayed on the opening page about 20 minutes before it was relegated to the back pages.
Now, I realize that part of the problem is that the XLF has gotten so big that the number of posts per hour at peak periods is substantial, but...
Is there not some way of NEW (as in 'new thread just now posted for the first time') threads to stay in the public eye for long enough that a member who checks once a day might read it without searching in, say, the '...exhaust...' forum, etc?
It seems like my posts get buried too quickly without members who could offer valuable feedback ever having read them.
Sometimes I'll 'bump' one, or repost it to another forum....
Advise, please.

Jackster
10th January 2008, 21:47
If it's important enough, maybe they can sticky it. if not, you just need to either bump it or take it somewhere else, unfortunately.

acenorm
10th January 2008, 21:47
I think it depends on how a person reads the forums. If they come on and click the New Posts link at the top, they would see it. If they come on and just go through and check the first pages you have a problem. I don't really think there is anything you can do except bump it once in a while. I know if I have a specific problem, I have PMed certain people for their advice if I know that their knowledge on the subject is more superior than mine. That's my 2cents.

Best Regards,
Norm

jharback
10th January 2008, 21:48
Unless Bert changes the formatting I would recommend posting just before going to bed or first thing in the morning. Those of us in Europe don't seem to have that problem.

ZenBiker
10th January 2008, 21:51
So let me get this straight... You posted something last night, as in less than 24 hours ago, and you're already complaining that nobody gave you an answer?

My advice would be to drink less coffee and maybe meditate a little in order to develop a little bit more patience.

1STONE
10th January 2008, 21:53
forget about it,

just kidding can't help you in the exhaust tape ??? but heres a bump

punkmxcn
10th January 2008, 21:54
use search, sometimes members don't answer because if you search the topic you'll find all the answers. Sometimes not.

Screw Loose Dan
10th January 2008, 23:18
Is there not some way of NEW (as in 'new thread just now posted for the first time') threads to stay in the public eye for long enough that a member who checks once a day might read it without searching in, say, the '...exhaust...' forum, etc?

Well, there is a way. But, it depends on how individuals use XLF. I use the "New Posts" in the orange bar across the top (next to the "Search" function). Using this, (I think) I see all the post that are new since the last time I was logged in. Clearly not everyone uses this method, but I believe that has the functionality you desire.

momo1326
10th January 2008, 23:25
I Answered Your Header Wrap Question.

druber13
10th January 2008, 23:45
I think it depends on how a person reads the forums. If they come on and click the New Posts link at the top, they would see it. If they come on and just go through and check the first pages you have a problem. I don't really think there is anything you can do except bump it once in a while. I know if I have a specific problem, I have PMed certain people for their advice if I know that their knowledge on the subject is more superior than mine. That's my 2cents.

Best Regards,
Norm

Thats a good ideal on the pms.

sportysrock
11th January 2008, 00:18
Oh, I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about your date.

:p

Sorry, it just had to come out!

cantolina
11th January 2008, 06:53
I read your post...unfortunately I had no personal experience to lend....

Its good to check how may times the post has been "looked at" to gauge responses......

Personally, and I may be the odd man out, I check ALL new posts since my last login....but if I don't have anything to add, I don't reply...

Up to now, you've had 184 "looks"...not bad...

My suggestion would be to word your subject line as closely as possible to your subject.....ie: Advice needed on exhaust/header wrap installation

:dunno

Doing a search, and PM'ing a member who had input on that subject previously is ALSO a good way to find out what you need to....

Sporting Lad
11th January 2008, 07:06
Helpful feedback. Thanks. I will pay even more attention to the way I word my subject lines.

DudleyDoRight
11th January 2008, 08:58
Posting a question toward 1/2 of one percent of the members is bound to get a slow response. Actually, I think even less than that figure use header wrap.

AussieGazza
11th January 2008, 11:08
Well, there is a way. But, it depends on how individuals use XLF. I use the "New Posts" in the orange bar across the top (next to the "Search" function). Using this, (I think) I see all the post that are new since the last time I was logged in. Clearly not everyone uses this method, but I believe that has the functionality you desire.

Exactly how I work too.

XLXR
11th January 2008, 11:10
I used header wrap on the stock head pipes with stock mufflers. The bracket on the rear pipe broke and then the pipe cracked. Naturally the dealer did not cover it under warranty because I did the work myself. Supertrapp was the final solution.

I have used header wrap on othe bikes, never noticed an improvement in performance.

debster
11th January 2008, 23:33
I use the RSS feed to get all the new posts.

stealthammer
12th January 2008, 01:46
The times that I've posted a new thread (usually in an attempt to get some advice/tips on a technical issue) it never seems to get much exposure....
Sometimes I'll 'bump' one, or repost it to another forum....
Advise, please.

Sporty Lad: I see no problem with bumping your own threads if other post traffic pushes yours toward oblivion. But then, I've never been one to go quietly......:smoke

Roadster_Rider
12th January 2008, 02:05
If you want it at the top again, just bump it, it's quite easy. :p