PDA

View Full Version : Rubbermount_EVO Tires for sporty

bombaman
26th March 2012, 04:28
The bike finally hit 10k miles and its looking like I need two new rubbers. I'd like to have the 880 metzlers based on the feedback found in this forum.

Couple questions....
Is this a product I can get thru the dealer or will they only offer dunlops as the replacement? For those of you who have gone this route what kind of price have you paid for the dealer to do the work?

Teamfossil
26th March 2012, 05:30
A dealer "should" order any tire you want. Most charge around $30.00 per tire to mount and balance, off the bike. A friend of mine just had tires done at Monty's in W. Bridgewater, Ma and they charged him straight hourly rate (with a tire machine it usually takes 15 minutes to remove the wheel and mount a tire on a Sportster). That's a trend I'd like to see spread!

DaytonaSportster
26th March 2012, 05:35
Order from J$P or motorcycle superstore, if you can remove the wheels and take to any indy where they should charge your anywhere from $40-$80 to mount and balance those. If you cant remove the wheels then call around town and find the best deal.
Metz are good tires, Night Dragons and some of the higher end Dunlops are good. Avon also makes good tires. If you want cheap sticky tires, try the Kenda challengers. I use those on my old iron head and loved them. Just did not last long or I was hard on them.

the_MAD_Baker
26th March 2012, 17:20
i bought mine from motorcycle superstore, last spring, they had the best deal & free shipping. i took them off myself & had a buddy that works at a tire shop put them on & balance them for $30.
tommy z

SpartanDen
26th March 2012, 18:19
my local stealer only sells dunflops. the independent here in town has pretty much what you want (or can/will get it). i need to replace my rear metzler and it will be $156 mounted and i bring the wheel in.

DEEP DIVER
26th March 2012, 18:24
Avon Venoms!!!!

Stick like POOP TO A BLANKET

All I use now.

Loner
26th March 2012, 18:27
I've ran the metz since they came out for HD's and are my perferred tire.
However I'm liking the Michelin Scorchers that came on my new Iron.

Probably the least expensive route is to get an indy to do your tires.

Don't overlook the import bike shops in your area, they would probably love to have some business. many of the import cruisers used similar sized tires as HD.

Bob F
26th March 2012, 18:35
Here's my bead breaker:

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/1347/medium/bead_braker.jpg

redi2ride
26th March 2012, 19:19
Avon Venoms!!!!

Stick like POOP TO A BLANKET

All I use now.

LMAO:wonderlan BTW, I posted on the wrong page. I had several open at once and in a rush at work. My post was intended for this thread. http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=1421000
SORRY!

boblaine
26th March 2012, 19:58
Avon Venoms!!!!

The best handleing tire I've found for those tight mountain curves.
All I use now.

bombaman
27th March 2012, 03:48
Thank you for the feedback and the great pic of American innovation in a portable bead breaker!!!

Last year I talked with one of the dealers in the area and they quota 115 to mount and balance per tire...seemed a little steep. I stopped there because well frankly that just pissed me off. I could do the job and save some cash but I'm getting lazy and I'd rather ride.

I pick the me880 because of what I've read but basically just want a long wearing and well riding tire.

DEEP DIVER
27th March 2012, 20:59
Originally Posted by DEEP DIVER
Avon Venoms!!!!

All I use now.

boblaine!!

No mountains in Suffolk

And we English Bikers spell it TYRE

Loner
27th March 2012, 23:03
Originally Posted by DEEP DIVER
Avon Venoms!!!!

All I use now.

boblaine!!

No mountains in Suffolk

And we English Bikers spell it TYRE

yea but what colour are they:laugh

Gcram399
28th March 2012, 00:44
My Metzeler 880 came today. $125.88 shipped from Dennis Kirk. Took my bike to the import dealer near my house. They charged $81.34 to do everything. A hefty sum in my opinion, but I didn't have the time to mess with it.

Joe Promedio
28th March 2012, 01:00
Today my local Indie quoted me $125.00 for installing 2 ME 880's (front and rear) and balance. That is with me paying $289.00 for both tires and he takes it off the bike.(and puts it back on). I'm too old to break the bead on tires anymore so it seems like a good deal to me.

I'd like to put the Venom's on but I am on a tight budget and need the mileage. Besides the days of hangin off the seat around turns is pretty much over for me. I am happy to be cruisin these days.

K3vl4r
28th March 2012, 01:28
+1 on the Night Dragons...

5W0P3
28th March 2012, 18:20
I'm in the same boat and kinda new to the sporty (I have a '10 street glide as well) but i was looking at the K591 Dunlops... thoughts?

are we stuck with 150's or will a 160 work?

ReddTigger
28th March 2012, 18:56
I used to be a huge proponent of the Metzelers, but have switched my views after seeing several of them come apart, while working at the dealership.

I've switched to Night Dragons and haven't been happier...

FWIW.. Metzeler was purchased by Pirelli..
Metzeler began production in Brazil, (Tire quality suffered (IMO))
Pirelli began production in Germany (Possibily old Metzeler plant)

Michelin makes a great tire... Period.. I haven't had any experience with them on the sporty.. but there was a reason they got MoCo Approval...

DEEP DIVER
28th March 2012, 23:52
yea but what colour are they:laugh

Loner, I am glad you did learn some of the Queens English when
you were over here.

They are black and round.

And still taste like :censor

vlmuke
1st April 2012, 12:10
I just put a new set of tires on my 06 I got them online. Stealer here in Michigan only sells dunlops wanted 85 a tire on the bike 55 if I brought them in, went to a local Indy dirtbike store did them both for 30.
the total price was just a skitch under 200 rear was Michelin Commanders and the fronts were Bridgestones Exedras

bombaman
3rd April 2012, 04:25
All, thank you for the great direction...much appreciated!

5W0P3
3rd April 2012, 05:46
I got some new Pirelli Night Dragons - can't wait to put them on, they seem pretty sticky icky icky.

bombaman
6th April 2012, 02:18
This tire discussion made start thinking putting a mag rim on the sporty. There doesn't seem to be a lot of 21" choices. What options are available. Seems like HD on makes one aftermarket...

bombaman
22nd April 2012, 00:30
2 of the dealers in area are quoting right under 560 bucks for tires installed. seems too pricey...