PDA

View Full Version : Road Demons???

Geek
9th January 2005, 07:37
So what is up with the bell hanging off of the bike to keep the road demons away? I have several friends that also ride HD's and they all have that little bell. I always kinda wondered what was up with it but never really put to much thought into it. Finally on New Years Eve we went on a great ride. I decided to ask what was up with the bell. I was told it keeps the road demons away. Ok so it's a supersticious thing. So what is it all about? Anybody know?

Moved On
9th January 2005, 07:40
If it's big enough to fit over your head, it will work in case of an emergency as a spyware satellite mind control ray deguassing beanie.

Some BT riders use it to ward off Sportsters.

Gary

txsporty
9th January 2005, 08:00
Yes, Kinda!! It does keep the Road Demons away!!!! It is better if someone else puts it on your Scoot!!! It Will Keep the Road Demons from getting you, as long as you keep Your Head on the Road!! :eek:

Geek
9th January 2005, 08:14
Yeah maybe I will install HD sp2 on the scoot and see if that will keep them away. You know it's got demon pop-up blocker. :laugh :clap

Broncodog
9th January 2005, 08:17
It's for good luck to keep the little gremlins from givin' ya a flat, broken chain, etc. the sound keeps em away, you'd think the exhuast would do that :laugh

Geek
9th January 2005, 08:40
It's for good luck to keep the little gremlins from givin' ya a flat, broken chain, etc. the sound keeps em away, you'd think the exhuast would do that :laugh

Yep but I'm still all stock for another month or so. Guess I better go get that bell. :p

Broncodog
9th January 2005, 09:12
Every little edge ya can get..............take it ;)

Barry Clark
9th January 2005, 14:57
So what is up with the bell hanging off of the bike to keep the road demons away? I have several friends that also ride HD's and they all have that little bell. I always kinda wondered what was up with it but never really put to much thought into it. Finally on New Years Eve we went on a great ride. I decided to ask what was up with the bell. I was told it keeps the road demons away. Ok so it's a supersticious thing. So what is it all about? Anybody know?
Do those bikes also have the little pom-pom tassles hanging off the handlebars? I hate those things. They just remind me of my sister's bicycle.

alleydude
9th January 2005, 15:30
I'm trying to find a Trashcan - Dumpster Bell. :yikes

pquirk
9th January 2005, 15:31
Yep but I'm still all stock for another month or so. Guess I better go get that bell.

Legend has it that it only works if someone else gives it to you and installs it on your bike, if you do it yourself the magic doesn't work!

It's really cool because it will also work as a Sasquatch horn. It's kind of like those deer whistles that cagers put on their bumpers; the bell scares the Sasquatch and it won't try to knock you out of the saddle and steal your Sporty. Fortunately you don't have to worry about getting one to scare off the Yeti, he's strictly a metric rider.

Barry Clark
9th January 2005, 16:48
That's priceless! :laugh

dwardy
9th January 2005, 17:11
http://search.ebay.com/Guardian-Bells_W0QQsokeywordredirectZ1QQsonewuserZ1QQxpufuZ x

Broncodog
9th January 2005, 17:11
Do those bikes also have the little pom-pom tassles hanging off the handlebars? I hate those things. They just remind me of my sister's bicycle.

What's wrong with Pom Poms..................it goes great with the basket on the handlebars!
:p :tour

cobra0478
9th January 2005, 17:33
All my years and all my bikes I have never had one.
Maby that is why I keep falling down,I guess I should be on the look out for one to keep the stupids away.
Don

Barry Clark
9th January 2005, 17:33
What's wrong with Pom Poms..................it goes great with the basket on the handlebars!
:p :tour
:laugh I know you are not making fun of my Screaming Eagle Heritage Custom Sunflower Basket. :p

Desertfox
9th January 2005, 17:37
Yeah, Motorcyclist , like pilots and race drivers tend to be superstitious. I have always carried a certain talisman for protection. Prolly works as good as the bell. Most everyone has a certain ritual, talisman or article of clothing they consider lucky.

Broncodog
9th January 2005, 17:41
:laugh I know you are not making fun of my Screaming Eagle Heritage Custom Sunflower Basket. :p
WOW.............ya got the custom basket???? :cry1 Someday, my basket will come in :tour :D

Shark Doctor
9th January 2005, 17:42
Maybe we should start a new thread dealing with "good luck" charms... I carry a gold dollar, ALWAYS, plus a demon bell given to me and installed by my riding partner... I also gave him one... but I like the idea of sunflowers in my basket... and what ever happened to those handlebar ribbons? I stopped putting baseball cards and balloons on my forks to make the great sounds when they hit the spokes when I got my SEII's...

:clap

flathead45
9th January 2005, 17:44
I carry a fourleaf clover that I found back in the early 80's in my wallet (a bell bulges my wallet too much :))

Broncodog
9th January 2005, 17:47
Maybe we should start a new thread dealing with "good luck" charms... I carry a gold dollar, ALWAYS, plus a demon bell given to me and installed by my riding partner... I also gave him one... but I like the idea of sunflowers in my basket... and what ever happened to those handlebar ribbons? I stopped putting baseball cards and balloons on my forks to make the great sounds when they hit the spokes when I got my SEII's...

:clap
Had my demon bell on as I drove off the show room floor...........courtesy of the wife :laugh

75oldschool
9th January 2005, 20:58
just get u one of those pack rat bikes that should keep them away :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh sorry if i hurt some one's feeling's :cry1

vetteguy
9th January 2005, 22:58
I just wear my lucky underwear!!

XLinAL
11th January 2005, 06:59
I kindsa feel that if the loud pipes and aggressive riding style doesn't scare the little buggers off, thay can hang around and I'll drop them off at the nearest BT after they're done with their thrill ride. :p :laugh

Lostwheel
11th January 2005, 16:12
This tradition of riders has been around for quite some time.As well as warding off bad luck and road"gremlins" another tradition of "The Biker Bell' is while working on your bike and if you happen to "ring it" or clean the bell to take a moment and remember all the riders in the past that where lost while enjoying the feeling and the freedom of being in the wind.

bloody_knuckles
11th January 2005, 17:41
It would be nice, but a bit impracital to hang a church bell off your down tubes to wake up the Grannies going to the BINGO Hall, but I guess loud pipes and rip on the throttle will have to due.

Lostwheel
11th January 2005, 21:22
That would cause a problem, but in the "legend" or the "Tale of the biker Bell" it says to hang it from your left swingarm.

bloody_knuckles
11th January 2005, 23:34
It would still drag and kick up sparks, hey that's not a bad idea.