PDA

View Full Version : Rubbermount_EVO bleeding the rear brakes

mikebill98
1st May 2012, 02:45
how in the heck do you get the rear brakes to bleed. Rebuilt the rear master cylinder but cant seem to get them to bleed. Do i have to use a vac system ?

IronMick
1st May 2012, 03:02
Brake Fluid Bleeding w/Syringe

You can buy the 60 ml irrigation syringe [not an injection syringe] at any drug store, especially one specializing in home medical products. I paid $2.00 for mine a few years ago. Another guy posted about using a syringe from TSC, used for cows or something.

discard the needle from the syringe
remove lid from master cyl and set it loosely on the master cyl; it must be off of course, but the m cyl must be covered to prevent the fluid from squirting 10' across the shop
attach a short clear plastic tube to the end of the syringe; i use tube that is "too small" in diameter - this is important to get a really really really tight seal on the bleeder; i have to force it onto the bleeder with a needle nose pliers
use the syringe to empty the m cyl; discard this fluid
fill the syringe with new brake fluid
let stand for 5 minutes or so for the bubbles to rise out of the syringe/tube
attach to bleeder
hold it upright and fiddle with the tube until air has risen into syringe
loosen the bleeder
slowly squeeze the fluid thru
do not release pressure on the syringe without tightening the bleeder - some fluid and possibly some air may get drawn back

DaytonaSportster
1st May 2012, 03:12
Interesting idea there!!

khaskins
1st May 2012, 03:23
I have used a Mity-Vac to bleed the Sportster's brakes for years. Best $30.00 I've spent.

fordman1920032003
1st May 2012, 08:16
you may have to use an air hose to blow through from the caliper to the resevoir and then bleed as recomemded by IronMick. sometimes corrosion or trash gets in the system and can clog up your line.

teXLan
1st May 2012, 13:23
how in the heck do you get the rear brakes to bleed. Rebuilt the rear master cylinder but cant seem to get them to bleed. Do i have to use a vac system ?

Undo the clamp holding the brake hose to the swingarm, unbolt the caliper and raise it as high as it will go with with the hose as straight as possible and the bleeder at the highest point and it should bleed. A mighty vac makes it easier if you have one.

DaytonaSportster
1st May 2012, 18:50
I have used a Mity-Vac to bleed the Sportster's brakes for years. Best $30.00 I've spent.

That is what I did with mine when I changed the fluid out. Funny thing is after the new Lyndall pads and new fluid, I cant lock up my rear wheel anymore.

Loves Curves
2nd May 2012, 00:20
I bought a mustard / ketchup squirt bottle set from the dollar store. Filled it with brake fluid hooked it to the bleeder with some tubing and filled the reservoir that way. It worked well in the past. I have the vac now

Loves Curves
2nd May 2012, 00:23
you may have to use an air hose to blow through from the caliper to the resevoir and then bleed as recomemded by IronMick. sometimes corrosion or trash gets in the system and can clog up your line.

I'm having a similar issue. I can get fluid to the master cyl. from the bleeder on the caliper but can't get fluid from the reservior to the master. I'm going to try your idea do I need to worry about too much pressure?

letsgoride
2nd May 2012, 13:41
Try dropping your bike on the floor. Ever since I tipped it over the back brake on mine has been behaving wonderfully.