PDA

View Full Version : got orders

Ekalb2000
10th January 2005, 16:44
to korea in june.
my question is what do i need to do to keep my sport from rotting for a year.
i.e. drain tank, put up on lift.....things like that and other little helpful things that ya do to it.
thanks

andy

and bert please dont delete me. lol.

flathead45
10th January 2005, 16:45
park it in my garage and I'll make sure it don't sit around rotting ;)

pquirk
10th January 2005, 17:51
Hey Man, keep your head down over there, who knows what that nutcase up north might toss your way. Good luck.

xl1200r
10th January 2005, 17:52
I would do everything you would do when putting it away for winter. Oh wait. You're in Florida...no winter there...

Putting on a lift is okay, but not neccesary. Some people think that you'll get flat spots in the tires, but the bike had bias ply, so the falt spot shoudl wear out of it if you can't put it up. If you're only going to be away for a year, I would say to change all the fluids, lube all your cables, brake stuffs, etc. Get a battery tender on it. Wash the hell out of it, get some anti-corrosion spray for you unfinidhed parts, and cover the bike with either a spray-on wax or WD-40 now has a fogger spray can that's supposed to be sweet. I would leave th tank full and add some fuel stabilizer. Run it into the carb then shut the bike down and leave the bowl full. The gas in the tank will keep it from rotting and the gas in carb will keep and condensation from forming. This is what I do givin my climate ( upstate NY ), so some others may have different suggestions for you.

Desertfox
10th January 2005, 22:02
If possible, have a trusted friend start it up and let it idle for fifteen minutes or so about every two or three weeks to keep oil circulated .

willprevale
10th January 2005, 22:35
I don't give a rip what you do with your bike. There are various methods for long term storage and you'll soon be reading them.

What I care about is that you keep your head down, cover your ass and get home safely. Drop in to say hi if you get computer access. Until then, may God Bless.

bplinson
10th January 2005, 22:51
Have fun in Korea. I was there in 89-90 at Camp Casey. Tong-du-chon was a party!!! I hear it is closed now though :frownone . Do you know where you will be stationed?? Which service are you in?

bud095
11th January 2005, 02:51
stay low, come home safe!

Darhawk
11th January 2005, 04:02
Ekalb2000, don't sweat the duty there to bad. Know a number of guys who served in Korea and for the most part, all enjoyed the year. Look at it his way, it's a year you can count down. In Iraq, a year can be 12 months, 16 months, 20 months, etc., long. Just keep your powder dry and your feet warm.
:us:

Mini Sumo
11th January 2005, 15:42
korea ! Disneyland for grownups

I was stationed as Osan and loved it. I was also at Kunsan for a 2 week TDI and it was ok. Not as many bars to hang out it :laugh

Mini Sumo was here

wickedsprint
11th January 2005, 16:33
If possible, have a trusted friend start it up and let it idle for fifteen minutes or so about every two or three weeks to keep oil circulated .

DO NOT DO THIS, unless you are getting the bike up to full operating temp for 30 minutes or more...they did a study with piston aircraft engines over winter storage..the ones that were started often and idled circulated the acid rich oil around the engine and corroded every major oil bathed part. The problem is that the oil absorbs the moisture from the air and combined with the combustion byproducts makes acid..this takes awhile to burn off..it is better to just let the engine sit. When they dissassembled the engine that stayed static for the year..the inards looked brand frigging new.

ON EDIT:...if you want proof of this...go to a junkyard where there are engines that have been sitting for 5 years or more...find one that is pretty well sealed from water..ie still has the valve cover and all plugs on..remove the oil pan or a valve cover gasket...provided no moisture has gotten in..the engine will likely look brand new inside..it has at least with the ones we have taken apart.

Mountainrun
12th January 2005, 13:15
Ekalb200, good luck in Korea. My nephew's heading there about the same time with the AirForce. Have a good friend take some pics of pretty girls posing with your scoot and send 'em to ya. I talked to an pilot awhile back that flies off carriers. He couldn't wait to get back to his Harley! Stay in touch with the forum if possible.

IanEd
12th January 2005, 13:32
a friend of mine went to Africa with VSO [ http://www.vso.org.uk ] and took his bike ( Triumph Bonnie ). Later he had to fly back to UK for several months. so he walled the bike into his house with mortar and bricks and had a "witch doctor" place curses on the wall. Not sure if this service available in Florida but HTH.

txsporty
12th January 2005, 13:48
Ekalb2000

Watch your back, and be Careful!!! :D

maddog
12th January 2005, 14:08
I would add that you pull the battery (even sealed types vent acidic gasses) and squirt 2 shots of oil into the cyls and spin the motor a few times by hand.

af_sting
2nd March 2005, 09:20
to korea in june.

Andy,

Kunsan? Crap! That's too bad. Riding is great over here. In fact, a bike is about the best dang way to get around, considering the stop-and-go nature of traffic. I'm stationed up at Yongsan (Seoul) and it can get crazy, but it's also a blast. Double check with your sponsor and see if you can send your bike (even if you have to pay, it's really not that much, considering). ;)

You ever been to Korea? A lot of people think it's a third-world country, but they are quite mistaken. The country is pretty advanced (probably more techie than most except probably Japan) and its pretty cool. Since you are stuck out at Kunsan (a place synonymous with "boondocks"), don't fret. You can go about anywhere on the bus and there's a heck of a lot to do here. I think the Harley dealers (Yeah, they have them here too) up here in Seoul even rent bikes, but it's pricey.

Anyway, I'm stationed here for another year and a half, so when you get in-country, look me up and I'll show you around Seoul. Even if you can't bring your bike then you can at least attend some of the Harley meets (Yeah they have them too). You'll probably laugh as hard as I did when you see a bunch of Koreans dressed in leather riding with rebel flags on their bikes. Yeah, sure they don't know anything about that flag (pro or con) but they do know their American brethren (and they consider all of you Harley brethren) like that flag, and they want to be just like their brethren (Koreans are masters of nearly perfect copying, but it's always a little different, that's why many GIs call it "the land of the not-quite-right").

Anyway, this place is a blast and I think you'll have fun. Keep in touch and if you ever decide to come up to Seoul, let me know.

-Sting

go-n-postl
2nd March 2005, 09:38
Take it with you!!! I was there from 88 - 92. I was in the army so it may be different do to the service branch. All we had to do was ship with your household goods. And the best part was you didnt have to be a specific rank nor command-sponsored to do it. There are plenty of places over there that would be fun to ride. Oh by the way watch out for the So-Ju. -- tim f

ststegall
2nd March 2005, 10:53
Hey man,
I with some of these other guys, i'd take it with me. I was never stationed in Korea but I visited pretty regularly while I was in Japan. Seoul is really a cool cool place. And if you don't have leather already wait and buy it there, it's super cheap. I think I spent like a whole months pay in a couple days buying stuff from street venders. I came back with tons of goodies. Anyway, take care and good luck getting your bike there.

I don't know about the Air Force but with the Marine Corps they shipped bikes for free with my "household goods".

DLM32
2nd March 2005, 11:01
Keep your head down, your powder dry, and if that tin horn a hole decides to cross the DMZ, put a 556 or better yet a 762 right between his eyes. That ought to cure his need for coke bottle glasses. God speed Bro. Thank you for serving! :clap

collinsb
2nd March 2005, 11:23
Andy, we will all be waiting your return! Follow several of the bike storage tips and it will be good as new when you get back!
Billy

cantolina
2nd March 2005, 14:08
Store it as described for winter-type storage....DON'T have anyone "turn it over", IMHO...ride it? that's another issue....but you have to decide between storing and keeping it ridable during your abscence...

If you can take it...DO IT...at least you'll know its safe! :)

Keep yer head low....Enjoy Kunson!

benny04hd
2nd March 2005, 14:14
ive just gotten orders to transfer to norfolk virginia, anyone know of any good riding out that way?

XLFREAK
2nd March 2005, 14:22
No tips on winter storage ;), but stay safe and enjoy Korea.

af_sting
2nd March 2005, 20:55
ive just gotten orders to transfer to norfolk virginia, anyone know of any good riding out that way?

Any good riding? Well that depends on what you're into. If you like driving along twisty shoreline roads, they have a few thousand miles of that. If you're into wide open 8 lane highway type driving, drive north a little...you can also find some heavy Urban driving to the north. If you're into mountainy twistys, head west a short drive and get into the Allegheny's and then you have a bit of flat rural to the south. :bump :bump :bump

I'm sure there are a few groups out there that would love to have you ride with them too. Personally, I love the scenery out on the East Coast, outside of the city though.

-Sting

HD1200R
2nd March 2005, 21:18
Stay safe in S. Korea!