PDA

View Full Version : function of wheel sleeve

shabalaihui
4th June 2012, 11:24
I remove my 10yr 883 wheel bearing and sleeve, and I found that for 10yr 25mm axle, the sleeve size is 1 inch, it doesn't looks like that the sleeve can support the weight because it is not tight fit.
I am wondering does the sleeve take the function of supporting bike weight on axle? or it just a "sleeve" to let axle go though it, and connect to 2 sides spacers ?

The bike weight is on 2 bearings only ?

if the sleeve doesn't support the weight, I will find other material and cut same size to replace the stock one, because the stock one rusts a lot...

ReddTigger
4th June 2012, 13:22
the sleeve is a spacer. when you install the bearings, you do one side first, then add sleeve, then install the other side. the bearings support the weight of the bike, not the sleeve.

tmack-1
4th June 2012, 23:03
To add to what Redd Tiger said, The sleeve is a spacer that is there so that when you tighten the axle bolts, the bearings touch it and are spaced correctly. If you didn't have it, as you tightened the bolt, the bearing would keeping moving into the hub. You will note that the sleeve only touches the inner part of the bearing. It does not support weight. But, it does have a "compression load" from tightening the axle bolt.

Also: Yes the bike is only on two bearing per wheel. It only weights a few hundred pounds.

EDIT: if it's rusting, that means water/moisture is getting in there. Coat it with grease or check seals.

wedge
4th June 2012, 23:39
To add to what Redd Tiger said, The sleeve is a spacer that is there so that when you tighten the axle bolts, the bearings touch it and are spaced correctly. If you didn't have it, as you tightened the bolt, the bearing would keeping moving into the hub. You will note that the sleeve only touches the inner part of the bearing. It does not support weight. But, it does have a "compression load" from tightening the axle bolt.

Also: Yes the bike is only on two bearing per wheel. It only weights a few hundred pounds.

EDIT: if it's rusting, that means water/moisture is getting in there. Coat it with grease or check seals.

To add to this... The length of the spacer needs to be accurate, and the ends need to be cut square so that there is no tweaking of the bearings as you tighten the axle nut.

shabalaihui
15th June 2012, 15:55
I measure the sleeves today.
for Front axle: ID 1inch, OD 1-1/4 inch, L 3-9/32inch
for Rear axle: ID 1inch, OD 1-1/4 inch, L 5-1/4inch

I have one question now, why Harley doesn't use aluminium material to do sleeves? since they don't support the bike weight

Loony
15th June 2012, 16:08

I have one question now, why Harley doesn't use aluminium material to do sleeves? since they don't support the bike weight

They probably could, but if you have a million spacer made out of steel the cost is going to be lower than making them from aluminuim. plus steel is less likely to be damaged than alloy.

Considering everything is heavy duty on a harley it's not worth saving a few grams for a few $ more.

shabalaihui
15th June 2012, 16:47
I will ask aluminium tube factory to cut this size of sleeves for me, and try how it works. ^^

Loony
15th June 2012, 17:31
If it doesnt work out, the part numbers are

43906-08 front $6.99

43905-08 Rear $6.99

shabalaihui
15th June 2012, 18:08
thank you Loony,
I never know that Harley can sell sleeve only, when I change my wheel the shop suggest me to change the installation kit like http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444876990 9&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374309435828&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374309435828&locale=en_US&bmUID=1339776149600&bmLocale=en_US

In Taiwan it becomes about USD100 and it really COSTS A LOT........

Loony
15th June 2012, 19:16
I got wheel bearings from this guy, had no problems after a few thousand miles now.

check they are the correct size, I know 2010 are 25mm (1 inch diameter) inner bearings for 1 inch axle, not 100% sure on the width for your model.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25MM-WIDE-SEALED-BEARINGS-4PC-HBC-LATE-MODEL-HARLEYS-AND-OTHER-MOTORCYCLES-/300699247483?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item460312637b

wedge
15th June 2012, 20:08

I would not use aluminum!

That spacer is what you tighten the axle nut against, so aluminum may crush and alter the measurement between bearings. Get the factory spacer and play it safe. Sounds cheap enough.