PDA

View Full Version : Ironhead Tires Recommendations

FearlessFrisbee
7th June 2012, 02:50
I need to get tires for my í79 XLS. I have heard that sportster tires are harder than most.

I need some recommendations for some tires that are a little softer and will grip the road a little better. Iím not worried about excessive wear.

I'd rather change em out more often and have a better grip on the road.

piniongear
7th June 2012, 03:03
Buy Avon tires or Dunlop tires.
I believe the Dunlop are a bit softer and wear quicker.
Avon is a very good tire and wears well, at the same time giving excellent traction.
pg

FearlessFrisbee
7th June 2012, 03:08
Sounds good thanks!

Can't Wait 2 Ride
7th June 2012, 03:29
Buy Avon tires or Dunlop tires.
I believe the Dunlop are a bit softer and wear quicker.
Avon is a very good tire and wears well, at the same time giving excellent traction.
pg

I bought a set of Dunlops the last time. Decent wear at a fair price. Model D404 is a very good entry-level tire. Check the link below for prices.

http://www.revzilla.com/dunlop-tires?gclid=COWX8tCJu7ACFYmR7QodTmSdog

IronMick
7th June 2012, 03:46
Dunlop rear tires on my 1978 were horrible. 3000 to 3400 miles and completely worn out. I get 6000 to 7000 miles on the Avon RoadRiders 120/80-18. And they stick much much better.

FearlessFrisbee
7th June 2012, 03:47
Hey thanks for the link man! I like the prices too.

FearlessFrisbee
7th June 2012, 03:49
What about the front Mick? What are ya running there?

IronMick
7th June 2012, 04:14
What about the front Mick? What are ya running there?

Avon RoadRider
F: 90/90-19
R: 120/80-18

The 120/90-18 is way too big. It is both higher and wider than the 120/80-18. I fit one in with great difficulty when i needed it in the late fall and none of the local suppliers had the /80. Never again.

I have considered trying the /100 on the front but why bother?! Oversize tires in my experience are way to much hassel for no significant gain.

FearlessFrisbee
7th June 2012, 04:22
Wow, thanks for details! I think ill go with that setup. I hate fighting tire installs. And yes I have never found any gains in over sized tires.

Take care and be safe

Hopper
7th June 2012, 08:55
i swear by Metzeler ME880 Marathons. Stick to the curves like glue - I ride hard in the twisties and scrape the pegs every now and then. And they are very good in the wet.
Plus they last well. I got 10,000 miles out of the rear, most of that loaded up with heavy saddlebags, camping equipment etc.

FearlessFrisbee
7th June 2012, 13:22
I have had Metzlelers on my 83 Honda Nighthawk, and a few other bikes and while they run long, I find them a bit hard when running on a light bike. They work fine when on a bike that is loaded down tho.

Motorhead52
7th June 2012, 14:29
Metz should be great on the 500#+ sportster

tracbike
7th June 2012, 16:05
not a large choice when matching tires for us out there today, but I used most brands mentioned I have just changed my dunlops out to Avons, the Dunlops last longer on tread wear for me, and the Avons wear a bit quicker. I gravitate toward the Avons now I like profile and drive off road and onto track.
Big traction I can dig up a photo on this one. switched tires from dunlop to avon was running a "no bar" race and a couple of burnouts later this thing "hooked up" and same launch as I usually do no slip...... got tossed off massive wheel stand and rear blinkers caught my legs and did a sweep, hit the deck and fortunately the kill button engaged as I fell off and the bike settled down on front wheel straight and rolled to stop and fell over light no damage.... I will say that it happened so quick I was unconscious for a couple of seconds that is how hard i hit my cap.

bottom line the softer avon got the traction :headb