PDA

View Full Version : 200 rear tire with 18" or 19" rim?

il67bp
8th June 2012, 20:07
Anybody running this and Have pics? I know there's going to be work involved but I'd like to see what it looks like on a sportster. Thanks

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

81Fe
8th June 2012, 20:21
Its not going to happen with a stock swingarm. I run a 19'' rear with a 120 tire on it and i only have about a 1/4'' gap between the sides of the tires and the inside front of the swingarm. This is as close as I would go, since the tire will swell at speed.

The swingarm gets pretty skinny in the front where it bolts to the frame.

If you are going the custom swingarm route, I'm sure someone can make you one thats extra wide. I'm not sure that the standard 200 conversion swingarms would work for a 19'', they still taper down and are pretty skinny in the front where it joins the frame.

*EDIT* I'm speaking about the 1979-2003 style swingarms. I have no idea what the measurements of a rubber-mount swingarm are, but judging from pictures they get pretty narrow in the font too. Sorry, I replied to your thread before I saw that you have a rubber-mount.

A 4 liter V8 eater
14th June 2012, 18:16
Its not going to happen with a stock swingarm. I run a 19'' rear with a 120 tire on it and i only have about a 1/4'' gap between the sides of the tires and the inside front of the swingarm. This is as close as I would go, since the tire will swell at speed.

The swingarm gets pretty skinny in the front where it bolts to the frame.

If you are going the custom swingarm route, I'm sure someone can make you one thats extra wide. I'm not sure that the standard 200 conversion swingarms would work for a 19'', they still taper down and are pretty skinny in the front where it joins the frame.

*EDIT* I'm speaking about the 1979-2003 style swingarms. I have no idea what the measurements of a rubber-mount swingarm are, but judging from pictures they get pretty narrow in the font too. Sorry, I replied to your thread before I saw that you have a rubber-mount.

What tire do you run on the 19" rear? How wide is the rim? I have a 19" rear with a 27.5" flat track tire on it and want to get a street tire that is around the same size.

maru
19th June 2012, 06:51
Huge rear tires are for looks on these bikes. The cause the bike to handle poorly and it takes so much hp to turn them you can measure the loss on a dyno.

81Fe
19th June 2012, 18:21
I laced my rear wheel myself. Its a stock Sportster rear hub with a stock sportster 19'' front rim laced to it. My tire is about 25'' tall anda bout 110mm wide.

Its is the Avon speedmaster 19'' Rear. It looks sweet but isnt very sticky...

Folkie
20th June 2012, 21:38
This has nothing to do with Buell photos; moving to (Sportster) 'Tires, Wheels, and Brakes'.

Big Rob
24th June 2012, 06:11
saw a vidio on youtube of a guy with an iron that put a 200 on using a different rim went to chain for clearance and wider fender he had a how to on there,from what i gather the rubbermount swingarms are already wider than on my 97 but im not sure dont take it as stone !!!!