PDA

View Full Version : V rod spark plugs.....

Gone
15th June 2012, 04:44
I was at my local Harley dealer today to ask what else can I do to make my 1200 faster. That's after breather, pipes, and auto tuner. He said one cheap thing is V rod spark plugs? Re gap them and slap them in! Anybody ever done this? Does it really make a difference?

gusotto
15th June 2012, 04:59
Spark plugs won't bring HP.

May make a difference if the bike was set-up for drags only.

rocketmangb
15th June 2012, 05:06
OK Chap
Its BS
Use some NGK Iridium plugs gapped to .040 and indexed to the heads you will get about a ? HP increase but the bike will run good

JasonSarratt
15th June 2012, 05:11
The same vrod plug number with an X at the end is what we use in turbo bikes cause they are pretty cold...has kinda a mushroom looking insulator.

Will you feel the difference, maybe maybe not. Def won't gain 20hp but it does lower internal temps

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Bigrick110
15th June 2012, 05:11
He is just kidding right? Yanking the old chain! Ask if he thinks it will shave a half second off my quarter mile. Then it would I would jump all over this mod! I wonder if he would tune my bike?

Bigrick110
15th June 2012, 05:19
And I'm not jumping on you. I just think if u ask someone how to make ur bike faster and their answer is v rod plugs. Really? Is ur bike so maxed out that it's down to the nitty gritty and the choice of plug will put u on top? Listen to the guys on here they have tried it all, they won't steer u wrong.

rocketmangb
15th June 2012, 05:30
Chap
I run the NGK DCPR8EIX plugs because I like NGK plugs and a cooler plug than the 7
I gap them to .040 and use index washers
Does it make a difference ?
I cant say but it gives me a warm and fuzzy

JasonSarratt
15th June 2012, 05:54
Chap
I run the NGK DCPR8EIX plugs because I like NGK plugs and a cooler plug than the 7
I gap them to .040 and use index washers
Does it make a difference ?
I cant say but it gives me a warm and fuzzy

indexing is a old performance idea...but I can honestly say I like them indexed as well. May be nothing more that a placebo, but sometimes if you believe you ride it just a lil harder...

Will the vrod plug make you faster in the quarter... Might. Maybe not by much but certainly helps a lil bit when its hot out... Won't make a 12.5 bike a 12 bike... But dropping temps will let you lean on the timing a bit more if you tune for them.

I love chatting with rocket about this stuff... Mostly because he simply honest. He does things because he feels better about it and most times that safe fuzzy feeling let's you push harder...that wins races way more than a magic plug

Gone
15th June 2012, 14:08
Well thanks for the input, I have SE Heavy Breather, Python Pipes, and Power Vision tuner. What else can I do without draining my bank account with buying a turbo??

Rico 05R
15th June 2012, 16:21
Well thanks for the input, I have SE Heavy Breather, Python Pipes, and Power Vision tuner. What else can I do without draining my bank account with buying a turbo??

Maybe a set of bolt in cams???

NRHS Sales
15th June 2012, 16:28
Yes cams would be the next step to do is my recommendation.

Crosshairs
15th June 2012, 16:36
Chap

Those are the ones I just bought....

Ordered on Wednesday, they are delivering them today....I love Amazon.....:p

Amazon.com: NGK DCPR8EIX Iridium IX Spark Plug , Pack of 1: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/414IFcwJDAL.@@AMEPARAM@@414IFcwJDAL

erbie07nightster
15th June 2012, 16:43
indexing is a old performance idea...but I can honestly say I like them indexed as well. May be nothing more that a placebo, but sometimes if you believe you ride it just a lil harder...

Please excuse my ignorance on this issue, but what exactly is indexing of plugs and what is the purpose?

Thanks

JasonSarratt
15th June 2012, 16:50

Do you want the bike to run better quarter mile times or want more top speed? Quicker and faster are 2 dif things.

You could play with gearing... Swapping the front primary sprocket and the chain will make it quicker if you use 883 parts... If you are using python slip ons...see if you can score a 2 into 1 used, there are a few guys here that have used ones fer sale. 2 into 1 pipe can do wonders for you as well. I think nytstr has a nice pipe for sale used.

Tweaking around with your pv can gain you a lil more to...

What are your goals... High 11 bike? 100hp bike? Understanding your goals would prob let all of us know what suggestions to make to help you get there