PDA

View Full Version : New ignition module advise?

vtwins
19th June 2012, 14:16
My 05 1200 C is difficult to restart after it is warmed up. I suspect it may need a new ignition module. I've never replaced one before so my question is this if anyone knows... The replacement part # is 32622-04. There is a revised part # 32622-04B AND 32622-04C. Would I just purchase the latest "C" part and plug it in?

Thank all for any replies.

Daali
19th June 2012, 14:33
It is fairly simple, but you will need to find tdc to adjust the timing. Once you pull the other module, you will place rhe new one in. It will be close to perfect without adjusting if you put it inthe exact spot, but i recommend going thru the timing procedure.
EDIT!! do not listen to me. I thought the 2005 was still a nosecone ignition, not the TC88A. My apologies

cHarley04
19th June 2012, 14:35
Yes, you would use the latest rev "C" part, but I can probably think of a couple of dozen other items that I would check/replace first.

Maybe you could better describe "difficult to restart".

cHarley04
19th June 2012, 14:37
It is fairly simple, but you will need to find tdc to adjust the timing. Once you pull the other module, you will place rhe new one in. It will be close to perfect without adjusting if you put it inthe exact spot, but i recommend going thru the timing procedure.

Not applicable to an 05 1200.

Daali
19th June 2012, 14:46
Not applicable to an 05 1200.

Ack!! Delete my post !! If bad info

aswracing
19th June 2012, 14:57
Difficulty starting warm seems highly unlikely to be caused by an ignition module to me. These ignitions are pretty darned rugged, and failures to be rare, but when they do, it's more an on/off thing. Or on your bike, it's more likely to be a crank position sensor than the module, the cps is known to be troublesome that year.

If you'd like a new module, though, I'd highly recommend a Twin Tec TC88A. Your bike, being an '05, has no method by which to adjust the timing. A module like the TC88A gives you that capability.

For hard starting warm, I'd look more to something related to fueling. Rich mixtures can cause this. Put it on a dyno with an a/f sniffer if possible. Look at your plugs. Check compression. Lots of better places to look than your ignition module.

khaskins
19th June 2012, 14:59
You do not need a new ignition module.

You should post your symptoms so the experts can tell you how to diagnose the problem.

Just tossing money blindly at problems usually ends with an empty wallet and the problem still exists.

vtwins
19th June 2012, 15:02
Yes, you would use the latest rev "C" part, but I can probably think of a couple of dozen other items that I would check/replace first.

Maybe you could better describe "difficult to restart".

Thanks for the quick response! I find after it is warmed up is stongly turns over but almost acts as though its not getting enough fuel to start right away

vtwins
19th June 2012, 15:13
This year replaced battery, spark plugs and wires and negative cable and ckp last year. Its just a recent issue but the bike is running rich.

cHarley04
19th June 2012, 20:39
Thanks for the quick response! I find after it is warmed up is stongly turns over but almost acts as though its not getting enough fuel to start right away

How long has it been shut off when you try to restart it?
Even on a hot summer day, if I shut down for 30-40 minutes, the bike needs the enrichner (choke) pulled out 1/2 way and a couple of twists on the throttle before hitting the start button, to get it to fire right off on the first or second revolution.