PDA

View Full Version : got sideways twice

jeebus
11th January 2005, 21:41
on my way home to take my wife to the emergency room. no rain but lots of condensation on road. downshifting for redlight, and when i hit 2nd gear she got sideways. not once but twice. in too much of a hurry. i learned a lesson yesterday. get your head right before you ride. i made it home fine and my wife is doing ok. she had some chest pains that had us both very worried. this was first bad scare on my bike not counting the everyday encounters with cars.

willprevale
11th January 2005, 21:53
Now lemmee see if I heard you right. Your wife was having chest pains, you suspected a potential heart problem and she let you take her to the emergency room on a bike?

She sounds like one of us... or she's nerts. :laugh :clap :clap :tour

Oh and BTW, if you haven't taken the MSF course, this is a good time to consider it.

jeebus
11th January 2005, 21:58
sorry. took her in the SUV. she won't ride on the bike so i put a solo seat on it. by the way she is a very, very cool wife.

Shark Doctor
11th January 2005, 21:59
Glad she is cool... is she okay as well?

And BE CAREFUL! Nice lesson learned?

collinsb
11th January 2005, 22:00
on my way home to take my wife to the emergency room. no rain but lots of condensation on road. downshifting for redlight, and when i hit 2nd gear she got sideways. not once but twice.

I hate when that happens! I hope your wife will be alright!
Billy

willprevale
11th January 2005, 22:01
sorry. took her in the SUV. she won't ride on the bike so i put a solo seat on it. by the way she is a very, very cool wife.

It sounded like you were on your way back from the E room. Glad she's )OK. :clap

txsporty
11th January 2005, 23:38
jeebus

Safety Course would do good Before you end up next to your wife in the ERoom!!! :yikes

thesmithiz
12th January 2005, 00:17
hmmmmmmmmm.......sounds like my wife, not the chest pain part, but very cool also, we should get them together and then go for a ride and be gone longer that they realize!

jeebus
12th January 2005, 13:36
wife is fine. EKG was normal. pain is most likely stress related. probably worried about husband riding bike. just kidding. i did take the safety course and actually got that bike wobbly also on the quick stop. that bike didn't weigh half as much as mine. i was in a rush on a wet road. not very smart.

txsporty
12th January 2005, 13:51
Glad to hear your Wife is OK!!! :clap :clap You be careful to!!! :D

sportsterrific
12th January 2005, 13:55
If I'm stressed or in a hurry to get somewhere, I NEVER take the bike. That's when bad things happen.

willprevale
12th January 2005, 14:47
Near misses are fine as long as we learn something from it. If we continue doing it... well, that's a different story. Glad the missus is ok and really glad you are too.

Wizwill
4th February 2005, 00:39
on my way home to take my wife to the emergency room. no rain but lots of condensation on road. downshifting for redlight, and when i hit 2nd gear she got sideways. not once but twice. in too much of a hurry. i learned a lesson yesterday. get your head right before you ride. i made it home fine and my wife is doing ok. she had some chest pains that had us both very worried. this was first bad scare on my bike not counting the everyday encounters with cars.

In slippery conditions, or when ever I'm not sure of traction, I NEVER pop the clutch after down shifting. I got in trouble a couple times downshifting into 1st making a slow turn onto a side street and that cured me QUICK!

Just hold in the clutch lever, use the brake(s) and hit the shift lever 'till the "neutral" lite turns green (last down=1/2 click). Then when you are ready to go, one push down on the shifter (with the clutch in, of course!), and you can ease away.