PDA

View Full Version : Ironhead Why ?

barefoot
19th July 2012, 08:55
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to XXX again."

Why ? What if there's only one person I feel like giving reps to ? What if one person just happens to make two excellent posts in a row ? We all have individual usernames here so "that's to prevent one person from giving themselves reputations" is silly.

This doesn't make sense.

randy3934
19th July 2012, 09:00
Have some rep, not really worth much to me, I guess if someone with lots of rep gives you tips or something, he might be spot on.

IronMick
19th July 2012, 13:58
Don't want one guy giving one other guy rep after rep after ...; two guys could rack each other up pretty high.

barefoot
19th July 2012, 14:02
Don't want one guy giving one other guy rep after rep after ...; two guys could rack each other up pretty high.
That's true, but how often does that happen ? Compared to one guy who writes consistently great, helpful, thorough stuff and you can't thumbs-up him because he did it yesterday, too ?

Seems like most people here are adults .. well, in the Iron section, anyhow :)

Monte03
19th July 2012, 14:04
Did not know we were vying for an Academy Award?? I'm just here to talk about Sportsters..

barefoot
19th July 2012, 15:17
Did not know we were vying for an Academy Award?? I'm just here to talk about Sportsters..
Of course. But if someone helps you, you don't want to say thanks ? What if they helped you yesterday, too ?

My mom was real strict about being polite ....

piniongear
19th July 2012, 15:34
I am not sure I understand this discussion, but it is my opinion that if you want to thank someone for a tip, just make a post and say so.
If you want to make it more personal, then send them a PM saying thanks. I am sure they will appreciate that more than anything.
But........Just my 2 again.
pg

Ironhead Dave
19th July 2012, 16:42
I am not sure I understand this discussion, but it is my opinion that if you want to thank someone for a tip, just make a post and say so.
If you want to make it more personal, then send them a PM saying thanks. I am sure they will appreciate that more than anything.
But........Just my 2 again.
pg

+1

PG...You better be careful....I see you giving away your 2 alot! You are either really rich or you're gonna be poor soon! :laugh From an information stand point I'm leaning toward the 'really rich'.

It doesn't take long to hang out here and see who the good guys are and I don't think most do it for the kudos. (So far I haven't seen a bad one on the Iron forum).

I'm just happy to see that maybe some of my advice was useful to getting someone on the road. I'm sure many here feel the same and don't need a number to tell us so.

With that being said...Thank you to PG, IronMick, Scott, ...etc. Through all of you on this forum, I have a new found interest in my IH when I was ready to give up on it.

morvenhouse
19th July 2012, 16:59
I would like to rep my postman today. He arrived with arms full of much needed parts from HD needing a signature. He rang the back door bell and I did not hear it, he then rang the front door bell and again for whatever reason I did not hear it. He had driven his van up the drive and proceeded to sound the horn continually, great service and a few reps to him.

Our previous postman belonged to the stealth postal service, he could get up the drive, past our two dogs who usually bark madly if you casually blink and triumphantly place the 'sorry you were out' card through the letter box every time.

Rep to postie.

Monte03
19th July 2012, 17:29
Barefoot- I didn't mean to be a wise ass (OK I did) but I get a bit weird when I see any of us take anything too serious, yes Respect is the way to go, Please n ThankYou go along way.. I dig what you are saying.. back to Motorcycles
Thank You!

sevenyears of famine
19th July 2012, 17:35
I am not sure I understand this discussion,

I'm kinda lost too. I see users reputation, but I couldn't give 'em more if I wanted to cause I don't know how.

I would like to rep my postman today. He arrived with arms full of much needed parts from HD needing a signature. He rang the back door bell and I did not hear it, he then rang the front door bell and again for whatever reason I did not hear it. He had driven his van up the drive and proceeded to sound the horn continually, great service and a few reps to him.

Our previous postman belonged to the stealth postal service, he could get up the drive, past our two dogs who usually bark madly if you casually blink and triumphantly place the 'sorry you were out' card through the letter box every time.

Rep to postie.
LOL, we all have that someone special in our lives don't we

hcrashster
19th July 2012, 18:06
There ya go, gave you some rep for asking about rep. :clap

In the red banner on top of your post, on the right side, is what looks like a scale. Click on it and the rest is self descriptive.

I stated this a few weeks back; We don't give much rep on the IH side unless the post or thread is stand out. You have to earn it. There are probably many reasons for this, but IMHO, most of us come from a generation or back ground where the constant need for getting sunshine blown up our ass isn't needed or for that matter appreciated all that much.

Mosey
19th July 2012, 18:31
...most of us come from a generation or back ground where the constant need for getting sunshine blown up our ass isn't needed or for that matter appreciated all that much.

My heart is as black as the oil in my Ironhead. Couldn't care less about some little green boxes.

Anybody remember when ya had to shove an oil can spout through the metal topped container? That oil was an interesting green color...

piniongear
19th July 2012, 19:09
Anybody remember when ya had to shove an oil can spout through the metal topped container? That oil was an interesting green color...
Sure do.
Now, does anyone remember an oil called Royal Triton, as I recalled it was named? It was Purple in color and sold by Sinclair.
Someone correct me it that is wrong information.

This was the same time era when Gulf Oil sold their ethyl gas called Gulf Crest. All of the Crest gas pumps were colored purple.

When is the last time you saw an Air Mail envelope? My wife fished out a handful of these from her desk last week.
She once sent letters over to Sweden on a regular basis.
When I saw them I realized I had completely forgotten Air Mail envelopes ever existed.

For that matter, who remembers when anyone wrote a hand written letter to someone? Email don't count.
pg

morvenhouse
19th July 2012, 19:12
OK now we have a subject to discuss. Duckhams Motor Oil does anyone remember it, bright green when going in and a mass of emulsified sludge when coming out. Never happened like that when I used Castrol.

sevenyears of famine
19th July 2012, 19:16
There ya go, gave you some rep for asking about rep. :clap

In the red banner on top of your post, on the right side, is what looks like a scale. Click on it and the rest is self descriptive.

I stated this a few weeks back; We don't give much rep on the IH side unless the post or thread is stand out. You have to earn it. There are probably many reasons for this, but IMHO, most of us come from a generation or back ground where the constant need for getting sunshine blown up our ass isn't needed or for that matter appreciated all that much.

Not to sidetrack everyone from the original post about oil colors, but thank you crashster for showing me the way! Rep added

Mosey
19th July 2012, 19:56
I remember pumping Ethyl at the gas station...

Once upon a time you could actually trust the man with the star.

Sinclair used to have a big purple dinosaur for a mascot. Anybody remember his name?

piniongear
19th July 2012, 20:09
I remember pumping Ethyl at the gas station...

Once upon a time you could actually trust the man with the star.

Sinclair used to have a big purple dinosaur for a mascot. Anybody remember his name?
I seem to remember the name was Dino. Most likely wrong, But are you sure it was purple?

I remember is as green. Each white storage tank at the Sinclair refinery alongside Hwy 225 through Pasadena TX had the large green dinosaur painted on the side of each tank.
pg

Ironhead Dave
19th July 2012, 20:20
Anybody remember when ya had to shove an oil can spout through the metal topped container?

We used to take 4" PVC pipe and attach a screw cap to the one end. Shove an oil can down it and unscrew the end, fill it with starting fluid and screw it shut. It had a little flint igniter from a camp lantern to spark it and we'd shoot the can about 100 yards.

Nowdays, they use tennis balls and potatos.

waza
19th July 2012, 20:30
never knew about this feature, but then I can barely change a phone # in my cell phone, I just give it to the daughter

Mosey
19th July 2012, 21:04
Yer right, PG, he was green. I guess I've got Barneyitis...

rjg883c
19th July 2012, 22:46
As was stated. The rule prevents a couple of people from running up their rep points. But I stopped considering rep points as meaning anything a few years ago.

After I noticed someone had very few posts, and a large number of rep points. When I checked the posts, expecting to be impressed by the knowlege or info being passed on, I was disappointed.

The member was a girl bragging about her ability to perform oral sex. And the post apparently excited a lot of members.

Ron

DR DICK
19th July 2012, 22:52
anybody seen my bong?

scottfisher
19th July 2012, 22:58
my rep was 420 for the longest time...then someone hit me again. Now it means nothing.

runingmouse
19th July 2012, 22:59
anybody seen my bong?

oh! was that yours. Sorry had to test it. Thanks :)

brucstoudt
19th July 2012, 23:01
i,just had rep,added my points went up by 1,point? [not the first time] i,also remember dino being,green.

rivethog
19th July 2012, 23:02
Just hide your rep points, then no one knows whether your "credible" or not.:laugh:laugh:laugh

sevenyears of famine
19th July 2012, 23:06
Just hide your rep points, then no one knows whether your "credible" or not.:laugh:laugh:laugh

Ah-ha, good call.

What I wanna know is where the comments go when you give rep?

brucstoudt
19th July 2012, 23:11
Ah-ha, good call.

What I wanna know is where the comments go when you give rep?

to the receiving person's,file accessible in control panel.

scottfisher
19th July 2012, 23:13
'User Control Panel' or 'User CP' at the top will show you the comments posted to you

sevenyears of famine
19th July 2012, 23:17
Thanks, but I don't really give a rep :p

brucstoudt
19th July 2012, 23:29
is there a,reason why you asked the question?

snow
19th July 2012, 23:32
Yeah, Mosey, I remember round cardboard oil cans that had to be punctured with the spout. Very gratifying feeling to stab that can--- but, if your technique was off, you'd crush the side. You had to be a man to change oil in those days! BTW, there's a functional Sinclair gas station here, complete with green Dino logo. Not extinct, yet.

tiderider
19th July 2012, 23:38
Barefoot, I tried to give you rep, but I got a message saying I need to spread it around a bit more. Thanks for the tire recommendations anyway.

antsap
20th July 2012, 00:34
Here's my never been opened extra heavy grade cardboard oil can . My uncle gave this to me when I was a much younger man. He rode an ironhead, and a pan.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22707621/xlch_oil_can.jpg

DR DICK
20th July 2012, 00:38
oh! was that yours. Sorry had to test it. Thanks :)

cool. did it decode this thread?

DonW
20th July 2012, 00:41
Thanks, but I don't really give a rep :p

I just gave you rep for that comment.

Mosey
20th July 2012, 01:39
Antsap, don't take this the wrong way...you've got a sweet can!

Yer shop looks like an enjoyable place to hang out. Nice motorsickle ya got there.

barefoot
20th July 2012, 01:49
We used to take 4" PVC pipe and attach a screw cap to the one end. Shove an oil can down it and unscrew the end, fill it with starting fluid and screw it shut. It had a little flint igniter from a camp lantern to spark it and we'd shoot the can about 100 yards.
Take an old inner tube. Run a thin wire through it. Get your oxy-acetylene mix right then fill up the inner tube. Bury it under about three inches of dirt in the vacant lot next door. Run the wires to a 12v battery. Connect the wires around 8:30 when everyone is showing up for work. Wait and watch :)

Nowadays they'd put you in prison for that :(

antsap
20th July 2012, 02:18
Antsap, don't take this the wrong way...you've got a sweet can!

Yer shop looks like an enjoyable place to hang out. Nice motorsickle ya got there.

Thanks Mosey, it's definitely my place of refuge.

I'm hoping someone else on the forum ends up living near by. It would be great to ride, work on bikes, or just have a beer with others here in person.

It's just not that easy finding people who love ironheads as much in person. My wife said I can't talk to her about my clutch again for at least 2 weeks (wtf :rolleyes:)

Mosey
20th July 2012, 05:56
Hey Ant, have ya thought about getting an Ironhead for yer wife?

I got one for my girlfriend. It was the best trade I ever made...

antsap
20th July 2012, 12:46

:laugh Ah I'm only joking, she supports my addiction and just encouraged me to spend way too much money on a nice original 900 primary decal/insert. Can't beat that ...

hcrashster
20th July 2012, 15:51

What the hell? Rodney Moseyfield?

For a joke that corny.........rep points should be deducted. :laugh

chevelle
20th July 2012, 17:28

You should hide your signature line too if you ever care to be perceived as credible again...
I enjoy it by the way, every time it makes me smile.

Mosey
21st July 2012, 05:14
What the hell? Rodney Moseyfield?

For a joke that corny.........rep points should be deducted. :laugh

I get no respect around here.

Loner
21st July 2012, 05:55
Here's my never been opened extra heavy grade cardboard oil can . My uncle gave this to me when I was a much younger man. He rode an ironhead, and a pan.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22707621/xlch_oil_can.jpg

i got a oil can bank (my harley fund) that looks sort of like that sitting on my desk,

brucstoudt
21st July 2012, 12:09
I get no respect around here.

oh yes you do,from me. that line get's better everytime i,hear you say it. i'm,looking forward to the next time!