PDA

View Full Version : California Carb/EPA New Resident Rules Questions.

Gcram399
4th August 2012, 21:13
I want to know if I buy a brand new bike here in PA before I move to Cali if the new bike has to have California Emissions?
Is there a time/mileage thing that would make it Cali exempt?

Thanks for any information.

toe
4th August 2012, 21:48
You can bring an out of state (non-CA emissions) into CA if you're moving into the state with it. No limitations on mileage (7500) that a existing CA resident has to worry about if buying out of state bike.

I'd have it registered in PA first.

I've heard you can buy CA emission bikes out of state. If it actually has CA emissions, you might be able to skip the PA registration.

Gcram399
4th August 2012, 22:04
I asked the dealer here in Pa and he didn't have a clue. He said I'd have to ask someone in Cali.
I found a bike that I liked and didn't want to do anything until I was sure.
I didn't want to have to special order a bike with Cali Emissions Equipment if it wasn't necessary. That's an extra $200.
I will get it registered in Pa first.

willypscustoms
4th August 2012, 22:08
Just don't move to California then you won't have to worry about it. :smoke

sportsterdoc
4th August 2012, 22:55
I want to know if I buy a brand new bike here in PA before I move to Cali if the new bike has to have California Emissions?
Is there a time/mileage thing that would make it Cali exempt?

Thanks for any information.

California Vehicle Code section 4150.2 does not mention this.
However, see this http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm
which applies to CA residents bringing in a "foreign" vehicle.

Gcram399
4th August 2012, 23:01
Ok, That should cover me on the purchase but what happens a couple years down the road when I try to sell the vehicle? Will I have an issue then?

sportsterdoc
4th August 2012, 23:12
Ok, That should cover me on the purchase but what happens a couple years down the road when I try to sell the vehicle? Will I have an issue then?

Don't know why you would, based upon CVC 4150, pertaining to M/C registration.

XLXR
4th August 2012, 23:34
The California DMV is so screwed up, I wouldn't even risk buying a bike and trying to bring it into the state. They have been making it harder and harder to bring in out of state bikes and cars every year. Every DMV clerk you talk to will give you a different answer. It may not matter if the bike was registered in another state or not. Read the rules carefully.

Gcram399
4th August 2012, 23:43
Yea, this is going to be a catch 22 situation for the wife and I.
We would have no problems buying new vehicles now while we are still in Pa. because we have both been at our jobs for a very long time but then the CARB stuff might come back to haunt us later.
On the other hand, if we move and both start new jobs we won't have any work history to get financing on new vehicles.:doh

I know I'm not leaving Pa without my current Sporty!!!
The Cali CARB wackos and the rest of those idiots can kiss my pipe!!

sportsterdoc
5th August 2012, 00:12
...Read the rules carefully.

Good idea:

Application for Motorcycle
4150.2. Application for the original registration or
renewal of the registration of a motorcycle shall be made by
the owner to the department upon the appropriate form
furnished by it, and shall contain all of the following:
(a) The true, full name, business or residence and mailing
address, and drivers license or identification card number, if
any, of the owner, and the true, full name and business or
residence or mailing address of the legal owner, if any.
(b) The name of the county in which the owner resides.
(c) A description of the motorcycle, including the following
data insofar as they may exist:
(1) The make and type of body.
(2) The motor and vehicle identification numbers recorded
exactly as they appear on the engine and frame, respectively,
by the manufacturer, and any other identifying number of the
motorcycle as may be required by the department.
(3) The date first sold by a manufacturer, remanufacturer,
or dealer to a consumer.
(d) Any other information that is reasonably required by
the department to enable it to determine whether the vehicle
is lawfully entitled to registration.

sportsterdoc
5th August 2012, 00:26
Yea, this is going to be a catch 22 situation for the wife and I.
We would have no problems buying new vehicles now while we are still in Pa. because we have both been at our jobs for a very long time but then the CARB stuff might come back to haunt us later.
On the other hand, if we move and both start new jobs we won't have any work history to get financing on new vehicles.:doh...

I live in NV, work in CA, ranch in AZ. I remain a CA resident, as I pay state income tax there (my income is from there) and I vote there. I have vehicles registered in all 3 states. I've moved to AZ, then back to CA (with vehicles purchased in AZ). Never had an issue. What CA is trying to avoid is current residents intentionally purchasing vehicles without CARB equipment...although vehicles that I have found in border states (AZ & NV) are CA certified. Whether we like evap canisters or secondary air injection or cat converters or whatever, we do have less smog than decades before. There should be no issue moving to CA with vehicles purchased from another state, while you were a resident of that state. I used to complain about catalytic converter exhaust on long up grades...but I have become accustomed to it and find most old (pre cat) cars all have an exhaust that smells very rich!

toe
5th August 2012, 00:57

No, once it's registered in CA, you're fine (or the next buyer is fine)

The only problem would be if the next buyer registers it out of state, then the next buyer (A CA resident) after him/her tried to re-register in CA and the bike had less than 7500 miles........

ol38y
5th August 2012, 00:59
Register any new vehicle purchases in PA first. Then there is nothing CA can do to not let you bring it into the state. They used to charge $400 to $500 to bring a vehicle in untill they got sued. They had to refund everybodys money...

XLXR
5th August 2012, 01:06
(d) Any other information that is reasonably required by
the department to enable it to determine whether the vehicle
is lawfully entitled to registration.

This is what I mean by reading carefully. Simply providing the requested information does not mean the bike can be ...."lawfully entitled to registration."

XL Ed
5th August 2012, 01:23
You're moving? But I just met ya!

rocketmangb
5th August 2012, 02:08
Hey Mr Mitchell !
I might have a 2012 "48" for sale !

Gcram399
5th August 2012, 02:18
Thanks all. I've also been reading the information on the Ca. DMV website. Were the California's vehicle registration and CARB regulations written by the same lawyers that wrote their gun laws? :doh

When I finally do get to the Ca. state border it's quite possible that they may not let me in. I am an undesirable sort.:shhhh

I checked the wife's current car (2007 Suzuki Grand Vitara) and it has a sticker that says that it is 50 state emissions acceptable. With that I would assume that any new or newer car will be the same. I will be sure to check for that sticker prior to any future purchase.

As for buying the new bike, I would hate to go into anything that expensive unless I am absolutely sure that I won't have issues anywhere down the road. I'm still negotiating, so nothing is definite.

Hey Ed, all my wife's family and my family are from Pa and NY so, I will be back this way quite often. I'll try to schedule my visits around the same time as the north eastern US meets. I'll just borrow my son's bike.

Gcram399
5th August 2012, 02:23
Hey Mr Mitchell !
I might have a 2012 "48" for sale !

Or..............I could always come and put some actual miles on the queen!!!:laugh

rocketmangb
5th August 2012, 02:29
2012 "48"
Extended Warranty
1500 miles on it !

Gcram399
5th August 2012, 03:00
2012 "48"
Extended Warranty
1500 miles on it !

Actually looking at something a bit bigger for me and the wife to ride together on longer trips. If her and I were ever to do an overnight trip I'd probably need something to haul a trailer jsut for her luggage.:doh

It would be nice to have something else to ride when I'm doing work on my Sportster and I'd also like to put it on a diet.

XL Ed
5th August 2012, 13:51
It's all good George. Why all the way to Cali? Transfer or new gig?

Gcram399
5th August 2012, 14:50
It's all good George. Why all the way to Cali? Transfer or new gig?

No, I'm leaving :doh my perfectly good job of 37 years to get away from the snow, bone chilling cold and constantly damp weather.
We've been spending 2 weeks of our vacation out there every year of the past 10 years and we just love it. We would have moved much sooner but we wanted to wait for our youngest to graduate HS.
When we move. I'll have to start all over.
Being able to ride almost everyday will make it all worth it.

XLXR
5th August 2012, 20:53
What part of California are you planning to go to?

Big city areas are not fun to ride because too much traffic. So the best riding is if you live on the outer edges where you can get to the mountains easily and quickly. San Joaquin valley area, Bakersfield to Sacramento, gets really hot in the summer. San Francisco area can be foggy in the winter. I've never been farther north, except for short trips.

I live in South Orange County, lots of good riding between here and North San Diego. North and East LA also has good riding in the mountains, but fairly crowded.

I assume you know the cost of housing here. In some areas, reasonably priced houses are getting multiple bids, so prices are starting to go up again.

Gcram399
6th August 2012, 00:04
What part of California are you planning to go to?

Big city areas are not fun to ride because too much traffic. So the best riding is if you live on the outer edges where you can get to the mountains easily and quickly. San Joaquin valley area, Bakersfield to Sacramento, gets really hot in the summer. San Francisco area can be foggy in the winter. I've never been farther north, except for short trips.

We are going to start out over the mountain from you. Somewhere between Corona and Temecula

I live in South Orange County, lots of good riding between here and North San Diego. North and East LA also has good riding in the mountains, but fairly crowded.

I'm actually looking forward to ride the 2-lane roads east of the 15 south of Riverside/Palm Springs down to San Diego. I've driven many of them in the car and always wanted to do them on 2 wheels

I assume you know the cost of housing here. In some areas, reasonably priced houses are getting multiple bids, so prices are starting to go up again.

Sure wish I didn't have to wait the extra year. Last year was our best opportunity because home prices were still good here and they were low out there.

XLXR
6th August 2012, 06:50
Let me know when you're on the way, I know 3 guys, not related to each other, getting close to selling their houses in Corona. It gets hot out there in the summer. I also know a very good realtor who works in the area. I have worked with several realtors over the years, she is the only one I would ever recommend to any one. Housing prices in Corona have not gone up much from the low point, but I don't keep up with it.

Gcram399
7th August 2012, 03:34
Let me know when you're on the way, I know 3 guys, not related to each other, getting close to selling their houses in Corona. It gets hot out there in the summer. I also know a very good realtor who works in the area. I have worked with several realtors over the years, she is the only one I would ever recommend to any one. Housing prices in Corona have not gone up much from the low point, but I don't keep up with it.

Thanks John. I'll keep you in mind when we're ready.
We are going to stay with my buddy in Tustin for a couple weeks when we first get out there. During that time we will look for a place to rent with a 1 year lease. The wife already has some job offers. I'm going to wait till I get there to look. After we are both know we are happy and comfortable with our jobs we'll start house shopping for something in between our places of employment.

XLXR
7th August 2012, 05:31
I live just south of Tustin. Rentals are fairly competitive with people with the best credit and finance history getting first choice. And people with worse credit/finances forced to live .... in Corona. Figure $2,000 to $2,500 per month for larger 2 bedroom, smaller 3 bedroom in the Tustin area, less in Corona.

I look forward to riding with you.

Loner
7th August 2012, 05:46
send me a PM when you get here, there are some good bike nights in the OC area and there is one in Corona on Thursday.

I live in Fontana 25 miles from Corona.

Unless I'm working, might be getting a new job soon myself, perfer my PT hours, but a full time with more per hour offer came my way.

XL Ed
7th August 2012, 12:47
Good luck with whatever you do George. When do you think the move is going to happen?

Gcram399
8th August 2012, 01:00
I live just south of Tustin. Rentals are fairly competitive with people with the best credit and finance history getting first choice. And people with worse credit/finances forced to live .... in Corona. Figure $2,000 to $2,500 per month for larger 2 bedroom, smaller 3 bedroom in the Tustin area, less in Corona.

I look forward to riding with you.

The cost of homes and rentals on your side of the mountain is the main reason we have decided on Corona to Temecula. The credit and finance history isn't going to be a problem. Our issue will be work history. Even though we have both been fully employed here all our lives, we are going to both be starting all over again out there.

send me a PM when you get here, there are some good bike nights in the OC area and there is one in Corona on Thursday.

I live in Fontana 25 miles from Corona.

Unless I'm working, might be getting a new job soon myself, perfer my PT hours, but a full time with more per hour offer came my way.

I'll do that. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you and checking out the roads out there on two wheels. Our weather here was really mild last winter and I was able to ride most of the time as long as the roads were dry (no snow) and temps were over 40 degrees (no ice) with the gear I have. I'm really looking forward to be able to ride almost every day out there without the cold weather concerns.

Good luck with whatever you do George. When do you think the move is going to happen?

We hope to be in California by the end of October. We are getting ready to put our house on the market. If it sells sooner we will be moving sooner, if it takes longer, well, we'll just have to wait till it does sell. The October goal was because I wasn't looking forward to traveling over the mountains in the winter months.

Loner
8th August 2012, 01:19
We hope to be in California by the end of October. We are getting ready to put our house on the market. If it sells sooner we will be moving sooner, if it takes longer, well, we'll just have to wait till it does sell. The October goal was because I wasn't looking forward to traveling over the mountains in the winter months.

You can always take the southern route via I-10.

Gcram399
8th August 2012, 01:30

You can always take the southern route via I-10.

I think even with that route I'll have to deal with some nasty in the mountains of New Mexico. My buddy hit snow there last year on his way back to Cali in October.