PDA

View Full Version : primary covers 04/05 vs 06 whats different

dodgenbullets
20th October 2005, 02:10
anyone know what the differnce is in the 06 primary cover versus the 04/05 they have diferent part numbers.I bid on a 05 cast primary cover before i did my homework.my bike is an 06 i bet it has somthing to do with the easypull clutch mechanism any help is appreciated

Moker
20th October 2005, 02:25
the easy pull clutch is internal.
you might try calling a dealer and askin

cadiero
21st October 2005, 14:36
I don't know that anything is different. I did although aquire the document from HD to the dealers on all the changes made to the '06 model line. It is in PDF format. If you would like me to e-mail it you just e-mail me at use the forum email function

Deicer18
21st October 2005, 14:56
I don't know that anything is different. I did although aquire the document from HD to the dealers on all the changes made to the '06 model line. It is in PDF format. If you would like me to e-mail it you just e-mail me at use the forum email function

Why don't you post it under the service bulliten forum. It would be a big help.

Jimbos883
21st October 2005, 15:05
If memory serves me correct I seem to recall that they changed the cover because of the change to the transmission. Don't ask me what they did but I do know that they did change the primary cover on the 06's. 04 & 05 interchange, 06 and I assume up should be the same.

Lucifer
21st October 2005, 15:33
04 and 05 silver powder coating, 06 is black powder coated on the non chrome models.
Ride to Live!

cadiero
22nd October 2005, 16:45
Why don't you post it under the service bulliten forum. It would be a big help.

Thing is, I don't know how to post a PDF file. If you can help me I'll gladly get it there.

nvlarry
23rd October 2005, 05:24
I think I heard,,and I could be wrong but the 06 has helicut gears and that may affect the cover,,but then again I also heard that only the Dynas got the new gears,,would like to know myself since I really like the powder coated black side covers on the 06 and was hoping to get some off ebay myself,,are you by any chance selling black covers???,,I've got a paypal account and good ebay rating

gronk62
23rd October 2005, 07:54
I just checked HD's website and the following page list 2 different part #'s for the primary cover.
One for 04/05's and one for 06's. So its safe to assume they don't retrofit.

Sportster® Chrome Primary Chain Cover Kit
(http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444876508 5&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302290147&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302290147&bmUID=1130049998046&bmLocale=en_US)

LVBOATDOC
23rd October 2005, 15:16
From what I understand the cases on the 06 different now having the swing arm bolt running threw the back of the motor and did a mount change as well. So it could be another reason the outer might be different.

pquirk
23rd October 2005, 15:22
I think I heard,,and I could be wrong but the 06 has helicut gears and that may affect the cover,,but then again I also heard that only the Dynas got the new gears,,would like to know myself since I really like the powder coated black side covers on the 06 and was hoping to get some off ebay myself,,are you by any chance selling black covers???,,I've got a paypal account and good ebay ratingSporties got the new gears too. In fact a couple weeks ago I was at the Capital Drive motor plant and I was watchin' the MoCo churn them out.

jdbostic
23rd October 2005, 15:24
I tested an 06 1200 Custom. Didn't seem to gear much differently than mine. What did they change?

gronk62
24th October 2005, 09:54
From what I understand the cases on the 06 different now having the swing arm bolt running threw the back of the motor and did a mount change as well. So it could be another reason the outer might be different.
The swing arm bolt runs through the back on the 04/05's the same as it does on the 06.
The changes made to the cases were mainly internal to allow for the new transmision components (helical cut gears).
There must be some slight difference on the primary side that made it necsessary to change the primary cover casting.

barry1967
24th October 2005, 13:27
It is also possible that by HD stating a new cover, they were refering to the fact it is now black wrinkle instead of silver. Or it could have a new drain plug hole or any little thing they want to put on it.

Their part replacement policy is very strange to say the least.

For instance, the same exact wheel with a 1 inch bearing will have a totally different part number than a wheel with a 3/4 inch bearing. And fit two different bikes but basically it's the same wheel. Like the rear wheels on the 05 sporty has a differnet number than the 04. The only diff is the beraring and internal spacer.

cadiero
25th October 2005, 00:31
Okay to clea confusion I looked in the '06 changes catalog. The transmission has different gears, you all knew that. Some bearing are changed and the shifter drum has been changed for smoother shifting. The Catalog does not say that the primary cover is different. Although the Engine cases are. So I would assume the primary would be too. There is a list of other parts that had to be changed to accomodate the new engine cases.

Again, if anyone knows how I can upload the PDF file, I will gladly do so it is 8,921 kb So I can also e-mail it to someone else who can post it. It is very useful and informative. Even tells wat parts are retrofitable.