PDA

View Full Version : Le Pera experiences?

Ralph
20th October 2005, 02:56
Anyone familiar with the Le Pera Silhouette Solo LT versus the Bare Bones? I like the look of the Bare Bones but I've been reading that it's a bit "harsh." The Silhouette LT looks like it might be a bit more comfy but I have no illusions. I'm sure neither are that great for really long rides.

I was thinking about the Mustang Vinatage Solo but it looks a little "fat" and I've read it sits you up and forward some. If anything, I'd like to sit a bit lower.

My bike is an '05 1200c and I think the solo seats give Sportsters a really cool, bad ass look.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ralph
Georgetown, Texas

Moker
20th October 2005, 03:14
i've got a bare bones for my 05.
I frikking absolutly love the looks of the seat, and it's not really that hard imo. but it does sit you forward, and that's my biggest gripe with it.

i'm gonna send it to a guy and get it redone, we talked, and he said he could mod it so it wouldn't make me sit forward. also gonna get a bronco's emblem on the seat.

here's his website: http://www.roberticustoms.com

here's the link where I saw the Vikings seat done, which gave me the idea for the bronco seat.
http://www.roberticustoms.com/tooledleatherseats.html

*edit*
I just got a corbin hollywood solo.
and man... wow!!! very very nice. i think the le pera looks better, but i love the corbin. it doesn't sit you forward, very nice. will try to get some pics

xlhflh
20th October 2005, 03:15
This is a copy of a recent reply I made to a seat question:
Unfortunately quality seats are expensive and even if we had the same model bike and were the same height and weight, our other dimensions (let's keep it clean) are not likely equal. This means that my perfect setup may be uncomfortable to you. However, don't give up. I think that the best kind of info you can get from someone on a particular seat is how it positions you and seat quality.
With that in mind: '00 XLH1200 - LePera Maverick (can use solo) with wide passenger pillion. Outstanding Quality. Wife loves the pillion. Good back support for rider and fits with my stock tall sissy bar and back pad. All back discomfort is gone. The seat is very firm and feels like I am sitting more on the lower part of my cheeks so no pressure on tail bone. Did 12 hours with it.
It does sit me lower, which I like but also moved me forward. I replaced my pullback risers with straight risers and I am very comfy for the first time in 6 yrs.
I've also noted that a small change in bars, footpegs, risers and stuff like that can make a big difference in comfort. Don't change too many things at once.
Hope this helps
Good Luck
Bob

Tedeburn
20th October 2005, 03:17
I have the Lapera Bare Bones LT with biker gel and I love it. Stock seat I could make 50 to 75 miles before major a$$ ache. New seat more than 300 miles in one day with no pain and It seems to feel better all the time. I have never tried the Silhouette Solo LT or any Mustang seats but I like mine.
Tom

sanman12002003
20th October 2005, 03:18
i have the lepera bare bones,and the mustang 2up vintage.
the bare bone looks hot,and is a good seat for around town,but has no rear support (flat) hold on if your gonna juice the throttle. (comfort) well there is none, but it looks good.
if iam gonna go over 50 miles on goes the mustang very comfortable.

xxxperience
20th October 2005, 03:21
I run a le pera bare bones and pillion on my 03. I love it, however my bike is set up for a hard ride with solid struts. I make long runs and drive it just about everyday. Yes its not as comfortable as some of the bigger seats but for my style and riding it suits me fine.

turfpro
20th October 2005, 03:30
If you pay shipping lepera will ship you any seat, in foam, that you want to try on your bike.
Theres tons of seat posts if you search.
I cant go over 100 miles on the bare bones gel, that why I got rid of it.

Moker
20th October 2005, 03:31
http://www.moker.us/xlforum/10_19_05.jpg

torxster
20th October 2005, 03:51
Moker, that seat looks good.

Let us know your thoughts after running it a while...Txsporty really likes his, if I get enough positive feedback, I may have to get one.

Johnny G
20th October 2005, 04:04
Im going to try a bare bones and see what I think , So far everyone told me that 11.0 shocks were to short but I bought them anyway and I love them and then everyone said how bad the Lepera seat is so I bought a mustang solo, its pretty comfortable but wide and ugly so I have decided to get what I want then at least I wont run around wondering what if. I will probally just screw the mustang on for the long trips and for me that is usally less than 200 miles.

Moker
20th October 2005, 05:06
if you're relatively tall, say 6 foot, i'd go with a corbin

oraznal
20th October 2005, 07:18
Im going to try a bare bones and see what I think , So far everyone told me that 11.0 shocks were to short but I bought them anyway and I love them and then everyone said how bad the Lepera seat is so I bought a mustang solo, its pretty comfortable but wide and ugly so I have decided to get what I want then at least I wont run around wondering what if. I will probally just screw the mustang on for the long trips and for me that is usally less than 200 miles.

Johnny, the Bare Bones is gonna look fuggin sick on your scoot. Make sure you post some pics please. good luck on the comfort.

95xlcustom
20th October 2005, 12:26
i have the bare bones with biker gel. it looks cool but it hurts your ass.......price to pay for the looks

seajay
20th October 2005, 13:06
I was told by Le Pera that the Silhouette is 1/4" thicker than the Bare Bones. I went with the Bare Bones with gel. Here's the bike with 11" Progressive rears and White Bros. 2" lowering kit on the fronthttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/seanile/100_0079.jpg

Ralph
20th October 2005, 14:11
I was told by Le Pera that the Silhouette is 1/4" thicker than the Bare Bones. I went with the Bare Bones with gel. Here's the bike with 11" Progressive rears and White Bros. 2" lowering kit on the fronthttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/seanile/100_0079.jpg

That is a sweet looking bike Seajay.

Very much the look I'm wanting to eventually get to; but will have to do so a little at a time.

I just got my '05 1200c (Glaicier White Pearl) a month ago and it came with custom wheels--Road Winders--which I love but also which drove the price up by about $2k. Thus, the wife--acutally the budget--is slowing down the pace of customizing. I want the Stage 1 upgrades pretty quick to get the bike running like it should and then pegs, grips, and the solo.

How's your bike ride after you've lowered it? I love the look of the rear shocks but I'm assuming the rides a little harder now?

Ride that head turner safe,

Ralph
Georgetown, Texas

gardkarlsen
21st October 2005, 08:59
Hi

Very nice bike Seajay. A couple of questions for you...What mirrors do you have on the bike? Do they give you a good view of what's behind you when you are riding? It also looks like you have a different handlebar...do you feel that the riding position (and how comfortable it is) has changed a lot with the combination of your handlebar and seat?

seajay
21st October 2005, 14:14
Thanks for the compliments. Ralph, the ride is stiffer then stock and the bike is more responsive(the way I like it). Gardkarlsen, the mirrors are mini tear drops from Custom Chrome(came with 3" & 5" stems, approx. $60). The bars are Khrome Werks 27", 3.8" pull back drags. Combined, the seat and bars put you forward(mostly due to the seat).http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/seanile/100_0080.jpg Oh, It's a chore to see behind you. It took two months to get used to the seat.

stewaps
21st October 2005, 20:24
Anyone familiar with the Le Pera Silhouette Solo LT
Ralph
Georgetown, Texas

I have the seat you mentioned. Hard on the ass after about 3 hours, but I love the look.

Ralph
22nd October 2005, 19:49
stewaps:

Does the Silhouette Solo LT sit you forward very much? I'm relatively tall--6'-- and I like where the stock seat puts me; I don't want to be anymore forward on the bike. And the stocker is not too uncomfortable. I just like the way the solos look. I'll keep the stocker to two up with my wife now and then but I want a solo for most of my riding.

Ride safe,

Ralph
Georgetown, Texas

Johnny G
23rd October 2005, 06:33
I guess I must have a abnormal _ss because I installed my bare bones seat today and went an a 75 mile ride and I had no pain at all. My mustang seat is comfy but it puts me in a strange place on my bike I feel like I am to high. Maybe its the combo of the bars and seat and my size and weight. I listen to everyone say how bad the bare bones is and your _ss will hurts so bad in just a few miles. I actually feel better after the 75 miles with the bare bones than the mustang seat, try to explain that one. I am going on a 200 mile run in a couple of weeks and I am going to ride with the bare bones and see how I do. After the 75 I was expecting to get off my bike and be in all this pain OH well like I said I must be a rare case. It was nice to set low in th frame the sporty handled much better and my bike looks fricking awsome now. I guess I will be hanging the mustang on the wall for now.:tour

Ralph
23rd October 2005, 14:54
That's good to know Johnny G. I do like the look of the Bare Bones. If it only will not sit me closer to the bars, I think I'll go with it. Most of my trips seem to be 30 - 60 miles either ridin' here in the Texas Hill Country or into Austin to visit buds. If the Bare Bones proves to be too uncomfortable for longer rides, I'll slap the stocker back on for those occasions.

Also, I found the name and number of a custom seat maker here in G Town who might be able to revise the Bare Bones a bit to sit me further back if need be. I think I'll talk to him to see what he thinks and to check out his custom work. I'm thinking his customs may be out of my price range but . . .

I'd still like to hear from someone who has experience with the Silhouette Solo LT to see if it sits you forward and, if so, how much.

Ride safe,

Ralph
Georgetown, Texas

Johnny G
23rd October 2005, 16:01
I wouldnt modify it at all there is just enough foam there to keep you from sliding off the back when you accellerate and I mean just enough. Over all I am very glad I bought the bare bones.

Ralph
23rd October 2005, 16:30
You're probably right. Not much foam to begin with in these seats. Maybe it want put me forward too much. I do like the look these seats give Sportys.

Johnny G
23rd October 2005, 16:44
If you want a Idea of how it is just take your seat off and sit on your bike you will be just a little higher with the seat on I am 5'6" ang 165 lbs with a 30 inseam and I fit great I am not sure how someone bigger will do. I tell you one thing it surebrings the center of gravity down.

Ralph
23rd October 2005, 17:42
I'll try that. Good idea.

I'm about 6', 165lbs with a 32-33 inch inseam.

I like the idea of lowering the center of gravity which I translate to mean better handling.

Ralph
Georgetown, Texas

Johnny G
23rd October 2005, 19:17
I changed the pic in my sig It now has the seat and shocks on it

oraznal
23rd October 2005, 20:07
I told ya Johnny, looks Fuggin Sick. I hope the seat works out for you. It was on a 300 mile ride that I my body said "no mas", and now the Mustang stays on.

Johnny G
23rd October 2005, 23:53
I went on another 85 mile ride today and my _ss just started to feel some pain. Yesterday I went on a 70 mile on a smooth road and no pain, today I am feeling more pain than I would like to see on a 85, I guess its the mustang on anything over 70 miles. I sure wish there was a seat that looks like a Bare Bones and feels like a mustang. The one thing about the bare bones is it has about 3 or 4 comfort spots and that gives you the option of moving around and around and around. Bottom line you cant beat the looks and for short haules and city trips its ok but on the long haules leave it at home. I am still going to leave the bare bones on the bike as my main everyday seat.:tour

xllent01
24th October 2005, 00:32
Any of the Leperas are good as long as your ass says so. The seat
shown is the full length version it works very well for a single rider but
can be used for short trips for a passenger but not recommened. Very
comfortble and very well made seat no complaints for over 3yrs.

Rather ride my new solo, just love the look and the comfort feels good too.

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Bike_Paint-13.jpg

whispanic
24th October 2005, 00:46
I got a Bare Bones LT off of Bishop and I like it. Its not perfect for me but I really like the looks of it. I got about a 32" inseam and no ass so it kinda hurts to sit so far forward but in the right position the padding isnt bad at all.

I think weight is a factor in comfort so I figure if I drop about 30 pounds Ill loose some of the discomfort.

Ill probably end up with a corbin hollywood one of these days so I can have the 2"'s xtra at the rear that I require. I couldnt figure out how corbin did that until I saw that its mounted on the stock seat stub vs the screw mounts.

Very smart and Im sure well wortht the money.

Adios

gronk62
24th October 2005, 09:47
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Bike_Paint-13.jpg
Nice bike!!!

Monteagle
24th October 2005, 12:10
Ellent01,

I'm sure you have been told this many times; nice bike!

BTW, I have the same seat you have but It's a killer for me after a 60 mile ride. I keep riding though...

Does your seat fit snug on your bike? Mine moves around somewhat and of course LePera claims I'm the first to bring it to their attention.

Ralph
25th October 2005, 13:34
I may have to spend the extra bucks and do the Corbin Hollywood myself. But I do like the style of the Le Peras. Damn choices!

Ralph
Georgetown, Texas

xllent01
26th October 2005, 03:02
Ellent01,

I'm sure you have been told this many times; nice bike!

BTW, I have the same seat you have but It's a killer for me after a 60 mile ride. I keep riding though...

Does your seat fit snug on your bike? Mine moves around somewhat and of course LePera claims I'm the first to bring it to their attention.

The lepera will feel alot better after a few 1000 miles or so. Just need to ride as often as you can to keep that numb feeling away. Or go to one of Ralphs nice solo seats which i really been liken.
BTW- Nice bike!!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/gronk62/smileys/GoodSmiley.gif

I'M NOT WORTHY :roflblack Thanks to all:banana

xl1200r
27th October 2005, 16:00
I just ordered the Lepera Daytona Sport LT for my 2004 1200R - Should be here tomorrow, so I can let you guys know on that one. It's got quite a bit more material in it, especially in the back, but I'm going to sportier look, and the "fastback" just does it for me.

BTW - It doesn't hurt to call around for these things. My seat retails at $320, but generally sells for around $270. I was referred to a site but the didn't have it listed so I called. Turns out they had one left and were dying to get rid of it. Ended up paying $125 shipped (yes, it's brand new).

gp9739
29th October 2005, 03:53
Has anyone else tried a C&C Seat?

http://www.xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=15051

Johnny G
30th October 2005, 01:22
I love the looks of my bare bones but I am starting to hate the pain in my ass more and more each day. I think after riding the bare bones for two weaks I am going to put my mustang back on and ride it again for two weaks, and do a real back to back test. I allready know what one will win so I may be selling the bones soon. The funny thing is I think the LePera looks so much better but I was getting all kinds of complaments on my bike with the mustang seat and not one person has said a word about my bike looking any better with the bare bones. I did a couple of 75-80 mile rides the first two days but now that I have 2 weeks on it I think I fricking hate it.( But I love the looks)

calsport05
31st October 2005, 14:21
I Just got my LePera up close sillhouette seat a couple of days ago. I had gel added to it because so many of you with the Lepera seats said they weren't comfortable on long rides. Love the way it looks on my bike! I rode about 200 miles yesterday and it felt great. It moves me up about an inch closer to the controls and it did sit me a little lower which is good for me since I'm 5'4", 29 inch inseam. Lepera says this particular seat will move you 3 inches closer, but it didn't do it for me. I am very happy with the looks and the ride. If I knew how to attach a pic I would, but I'm computer challenged. I do have a couple new ones in my gallery.

Randum77
31st October 2005, 14:40
Calsport05 about said it for me. The lepera that I have is extremely uncomfortable on anything over 60 to 80 miles. The last trip I took was about 86 miles and and around 65 miles, my butt started getting mad. It also depends on the speed, but best case scenario 80 miles max. I don't have the gel insert though. How does that help out? Can i get one put in my seat that I already have and how much would it cost?